Author Topic: Sims 4 Game Play Settings  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Sims 4 Game Play Settings
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
I haven't been able to keep up with all the patches in the last year.  I did do some searching, but couldn't find the answer to this, so thought I'd throw it up to see if there's an answer.

My question involves the gameplay settings, so things like lifespan, sim autonomy, etc.  The last I knew, when you changed the gameplay settings in one game, it changed it for all games you played.  Is this still the case?  At one time, it used to be if you changed it for each individual game, it would only change them for that game, but it got changed along the way so that if you changed the gameplay settings, it changed it for all of them.  So for example, if I played a game on Long lifespan, it changed it for all of my games.  I would have to constantly adjust the settings every time I jumped to one of my other saves which gets old quick.

I know one work-around was having a different Sims 4 folder for each different set of gameplay settings.  So say you're playing an RDC with those specific settings, that would be named Sims 4-RDC when not playing it (and any other games that you'd want those specific settings for).  Same way with an IDC, would be named Sims 4- IDC when not playing it etc. 

I ask, because I want to do the challenge tournament, but was wondering if there was a way to do the gameplay settings without multiple folders, or if that's the only way at this point.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Game Play Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
The last time I checked (a few months ago?), the gameplay settings you select for one save don't affect your other saves.

Still, I play with separate Sims 4 folders: one for tournament challenges (minimal cc and smallest possible tray folder) and one for each mulit-generational dynasty challenge (to reduce game lag by not sharing tray folders and cc, etc.).

I guess your question wouldn't be too hard to test, but I'm hoping someone else will drop with by the answer. :D  @Playalot

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
@oshizu

At one time, I thought that was true too, with the game play settings being separate unless you changed them while on the main screen, but that hasn't been the case, at least the last time I tested it.  Separate folders do sound good, just to keep lag down, but at the same time, I'm afraid I'll screw it up somehow by forgetting which is which.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
I tested some more, and found gameplay settings can be set per-game save.

Load a game save, click Play, pause the game and go to Options > Gameplay and change the gameplay settings there. This shouldn't change other saved game gameplay settings.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. (Click on images to see larger view)

Test game 1

Test game 2

So they aren't necessarily global. Though when I went to play-test my 2nd game, it had the same gameplay options as the first game until I changed and saved the settings. This didn't change my 1st game's settings. They're still set as I originally had them.

Like mentioned, if you want different settings for tournaments or challenges, you'll want to create a Sims 4 folder for them. Specially those with strict rules and such. Take notes on what folder is what.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
MrsFlynn

Ok, thanks!  That's what I figured.  It was never global?  Thought it was at the very beginning.  Could have been thinking of Sims 3, of course XD  I appreciate the answer.  Yeah, guess I'll have to do the folders.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
It's global even with Sims 3.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »
Thanks for tagging me... MrsFlynn bet me to the answer tho'. Actually separate folders is such a good idea when doing challenges, you just have to be mindful when saving and swapping them over. I actually leave a note on my keyboard to remind myself which save folder is 'loaded' just in case I forget the next morning.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything