Author Topic: To Prevent a War- A One to Rule Them All Challenge Behind-the-scenes 9/4/18  (Read 78526 times)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 1.5 New 4/8/18
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
This is all so awe-inspiring!  The builds, the families, all the back-stories, everything!  So far my favorite characters are the King and Maxim,  ;)   but really I love them all. 

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 1.5 New 4/8/18
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
If you hadn't mentioned that you'd ended abruptly, I would have just thought this was another of your cliffhangers while I thought,"Well, dang, girl! What do you actually think of Gunner?"
Beatrice is a lovely, mysterious presence--what a twist that she's like a medieval CIA but in a good sense.
Also, I love her LBD with the red lace peeking out below the hem.

Where you ended this update leaves me wanting to know more about this third royal contender.
I hope you are feeling better today!

@oshizu

Cliffhangers?  Moi? hehehehe Was hoping her position would be seen in a favorable light ^^ I love that dress on her too.  One of my favorites.   It's from Jungle Adventure. More about Bianca coming up!  And I'm feeling a bit better.  The allergies tend to bother me this time of year off and on, but today is a better day than yesterday.

I'm finally catching up! Wow. (Sorry about the allergies.) I love the ballroom. And the blue wall in Beatrice's kitchen. Is the kitten a ragdoll?

It really works as a cliffhanger. We are in suspense. Your writing is really special. 

@Heart Foam

Actually, the kitten is an Egyptian Mau/Bermese mix.  I was having some fun with the pet cross breeder hehehe.  Thanks ^^ I enjoyed building the ballroom, though parts of it were tough to do XD  So glad you like my writing ^^ I've having a lot of fun with these characters.

Love, love, love!  I’m leaning towards Team Beatrice, but will wait until her prologue is finished.

@simfulicious

Yay!  Team Beatrice may have a member! lol Everyone seems to have a thing for Blakely hehehe.  Glad you're enjoying it.

Beatrice is wonderful! And I'm already entranced by Gunnar the rogue with a heart of gold. Sparks will fly! I'm sure of it! All the intrigue in this one is fantastic.

Hope your allergies improve, because I'm dying to know more about this household!

@FrancescaFiori

Yeah, I love Gunner quite a lot too.  He's fun.  He's most certainly a rogue.  I think he and Beatrice have a lot to offer each other, but that will be for another day ^^  Update coming up!

This is all so awe-inspiring!  The builds, the families, all the back-stories, everything!  So far my favorite characters are the King and Maxim,  ;)   but really I love them all. 

@BallerinaHippo

Oh thank you so much!  So glad you're enjoying it ^^  I tend to go a bit overboard with things XD lol and this was a challenge that let me do that.  Hehehe, yeah, I really love the King.  He's a lot of fun to write.  And Maxim.  I love the pets.  They've been great to write.

Update incoming!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
1.6: Order Will Be Maintained
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
1.6: Order Will Be Maintained

Beatrice sat on the stool in her kitchen, looking into the distance.  Her breakfast sat on the counter in front of her.  Normally, she enjoyed mornings.  This morning, though, there was far too much on her mind to allow the simple pleasures of a nice quiet breakfast to distract her.

1.6 #1.jpg

She sighed.  A part of her wanted to be furious; at the King for putting her in this position, at Gunner for daring to ask such a favor, but most especially at herself for allowing them to manuever her in such a way.  She couldn't quite manage it, however.  She knew both the King and Gunner spoke nothing less than the truth when they told her that Gunner's life was in danger.  She knew very well that Lord Villareal was a dangerous man.  He tolerated no disloyalty.  Even from that of his son, perhaps most especially from his son.

She ate mechanically then set the bowl in the sink.  She had agreed to go through with the marriage.  She almost hadn't even known what she was going to say until the agreement had already passed her lips.  She thought about that as she went upstairs and pulled the clothes from her hamper to take to the washer.

1.6 #2.jpg

After she had thrown them in the dryer, she sat down at her computer and opened up a blank file.  Then she began to write.  She had found that this method of free-writing was a good method to help her make sense of things and get herself under control.  Control was important, was imperative for the work she did, after all.

1.6 #3.jpg

As the words flowed, she left herself drift a bit.  Why had she agreed?  Despite his cocky grin and attitude, she truly didn't want to see Gunner hurt- or possibly killed.  Neither of those things was out of the realm of possibility.  If marriage hadn't been part of the equation, there would have been no question, no hesitation.  Marriage- it was a cursed word, as far as Beatrice was concerned.  Her father had married her mother because it was expected of him.  He had made sure they had a child in order to carry on the Campbell name.  That was all.  As soon as he had been able, her father left.  He was gone so often and so frequently, Beatrice remembered little of him from her early years.  When he had gotten older and couldn't go on missions himself as much, Beatrice hated having him home.

He rarely had anything good to say about her or her mother.  If Beatrice was upset, she would be told that a lady didn't display her emotions in such a manner.  Really, any display of emotion was seen as unseemly by Lord Campbell. Those lessons had stayed with Beatrice. 

She preferred her solitude.  It had been sheer happenstance that she'd taken in Mira.  She'd found the little kitten outside on the street, tired and so hungry.  Beatrice hadn't been able to leave the poor thing like that.  Especially when the kitten had looked up at her and let out a plaintive, heartbreaking mew.

1.6 #4.jpg

Beatrice had picked her up, inspecting the tiny animal.  The kitten had looked at her with such adoration, Beatrice hadn't been able to resist.

1.6 #5.jpg

Now, she couldn't imagine her home without the little beast running around.  She'd even splurged (something she rarely did) on a cat tree, the top of line litter box, as well as several toys and a little bed that Beatrice had placed in the study (the room she was in the most) so that Mira could be comfortable while she kept her owner company.

1.6 #6.jpg

Mira always seemed rather pleased with herself.  Though she was too small to really jump onto anything, she acted as if she owned the house.  Beatrice thought it rather amusing.  When Beatrice got up, Mira would follow after her; the kitten enjoyed making a production about it, as well.

1.6 #7.jpg

Beatrice stopped her writing.  It was easier to focus on Mira than it was to focus on the cusp of the problem.  While her parents' marriage had been less than ideal, there was a part of Beatrice that had hoped when it came time to address the issue of marriage, she would have some kind of say in it.

Granted, she could have refused.  But then if something happened, it would have been her fault.  She didn't think she could live with that.  The question was, could she live with the situation she found herself in?  A part of her was terrified.  But she shoved that away.  There would have to be ground rules.  They would find a way to make the arrangment work.  She wouldn't allow anything else.

She looked at the time.  She had to get going.  Her shift at the clinic was starting soon.  It was something she did to- balance the scales, perhaps.  For the moment, it was a voluntary basis. She hoped eventually to progress, to learn how to care for patients.

For the moment, she brought patients their food and prepped beds for the next patient to come in.

1.6 #8.jpg

She did enjoy it, though sometimes dealing with people was a chore.  It wasn't her strong suite by any means.  She did better with data.  Still, she loved to learn.

"Lady Campbell?  Are you alright?"

Beatrice started as she looked at the doctor on duty.  "I'm sorry.  What?"

"You look a little- frazzled.  Are you alright?"

Beatrice grimaced.  It wasn't supposed to show.  "I-I've been better."

"Would you like me to take care of this?  I think you ran the same sample twice now."

Her face fell.  "Oh... oh..."

"It's alright.  Don't worry about it.  Go on, I'll take care of it."

Struggling to keep the tears that had begun to swim in her eyes at bay, Beatrice strode away.

1.6 #9.jpg

For the first time since she had begun volunteering at the clinic, she wanted desperately to go home. She managed to finish out her shift, doing menial tasks like mopping up.

1.6 #10.jpg

When she got home, after changing, Beatrice sat in her chair in the study.  She had to take a deep breath.  She wouldn't allow this situation to get to her.  She would deal with it just as she dealt with everything else: calmly and coolly.  She wouldn't allow herself to do it any other way.  It affecting other aspects of her life; that simply couldn't stand.  It wouldn't stand.  She would marry Gunner.  She would see he got his sanctuary.  After that- well, they would attend to it after it was so.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 1.6 New 4/8/18
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »
I am sitting here trying to figure out why Beatrice feels so upset.
She has already agreed to the marriage out of her sense of duty to the king and of compassion for Gunner's well-being.
Why would she suddenly burst into tears at the clinic?
I feel like I've missed noticing some important clue. Has Gunner already gotten under her skin? Or is she hiding something big?
Or, am I just a dense reader? <-- probably this, lol!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:28 AM »
Oh, I feel for Beatrice! She's facing down a marriage just like her parents', and that was miserable! I'm still holding out hope there will be some happiness and romance, even if the marriage is arranged. Come on, Gunner! Turn on your cheerful, rakish charm or something!
Well, if nothing else, the kitten is adorable! Kittens make everything better.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
Awww, poor Lady Beatrice!  She feels she is being forced to do the one thing she swore she would never do!  Well if you have to do it, it might as well be done with someone as handsome as Gunner!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2018, 09:06:59 PM »
I wonder if Beatrice will find that inner resolve she must have if we go by the intriguing past she has led.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »
I am sitting here trying to figure out why Beatrice feels so upset.
She has already agreed to the marriage out of her sense of duty to the king and of compassion for Gunner's well-being.
Why would she suddenly burst into tears at the clinic?
I feel like I've missed noticing some important clue. Has Gunner already gotten under her skin? Or is she hiding something big?
Or, am I just a dense reader? <-- probably this, lol!

@oshizu

Marriage because of duty is something she's not looking forward to.  And as I explained in the PM, marriage is anathema to her in many respects.

Oh, I feel for Beatrice! She's facing down a marriage just like her parents', and that was miserable! I'm still holding out hope there will be some happiness and romance, even if the marriage is arranged. Come on, Gunner! Turn on your cheerful, rakish charm or something!
Well, if nothing else, the kitten is adorable! Kittens make everything better.

@FrancescaFiori

hehehe, yeah, I have a soft spot for Gunner.  Their relationship is gonna be a fun one ^^

Awww, poor Lady Beatrice!  She feels she is being forced to do the one thing she swore she would never do!  Well if you have to do it, it might as well be done with someone as handsome as Gunner!

@simfulicious

lol, I suppose so.  Helps that he's not a bad guy too hehehe

I wonder if Beatrice will find that inner resolve she must have if we go by the intriguing past she has led.

@Playalot

Oh I think she will.  She's the type that has to process things first.  Most of the time she's good at doing it quickly.  This is taking a bit longer.

Unfortunately, no update today.  My allergies have become a full blown spring cold.  Haven't even gotten a chance to finish up Blakely's second week.  Hoping now that I have some meds, I can do that and get an update out for you folks.  Sorry for the delay!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 04:00:27 AM »
2.1: Connections

Blakely sat back in his chair, a piece of paper hanging from his hand as he stared into the fireplace in his quarters.  He looked at the letter again.  The writing was elegant and scrawling.  The firelight danced over his face, his features shadowed as his eyes wandered over the words on the piece of parchment once more.

Lord Blakely,

Though we have never been properly introduced, I have heard much of you.  By all accounts, you are a good man.  I apologize for my forwardness, but I know you prefer honesty when possible.  I am writing to you, both as a Queen and a sister.  I wish to speak of you regarding the matter of my sister.  It is rather urgent.  Lest you think me dramatic, I believe something is coming. What it is, I do not know for certain.  But I believe that you will play a role in it.  It is something dark.

In order to discuss such matters, I would invite you to the castle here in Oasis Springs tomorrow afternoon so that we may speak.  I hope to see you then.

Sincerely,

Eve Azurite, Desert Bloom, Duchess of Acquisition Butte, Queen of Oasis Springs

Blakely folded up the letter and set it on the table next to him.  He sat there, brooding into the fire for a few moments more.  Then he stood up.  He went downstairs, penned a response and then made sure it got sent off.  Tomorrow was going to be interesting...

Blakely arched a brow as he stepped out onto the street outside.  The home of the King and Queen of Oasis Springs was certainly- different.

2.1 #1.jpg
Witch and Draula Castle by weronik456

Part of him was impressed by the sheer size and what he thought of as atmosphere of the castle.  He went up to the doors.

2.1 #2.jpg

Before he could knock, the door opened of its own accord.  Blakely chuckled.  Well, he was in a witch's home, after all, even if it was a castle.  Blakely found himself in front of a wide staircase.  The only way to go was up, so he took the stairs quickly.

2.1 #3.jpg

At the top, a tall man greeted him.  "Lord Blakely."  He inclined his head and held out a hand.  "I am King Dallen.  Welcome to our home.  My wife asked me to lead you to her study."

Blakely took the man's hand in a firm grip.  "A pleasure, your highness.  Lead the way."  He followed after the man as he was led up another flight of stairs.  He had to admit, he was a bit surprised that he hadn't been greeted by a butler or other servant. 

The study seemed to be near the top of one of the towers.  It was a dark room, lit by candles and surrounded by books.  King Dallen gestured to one of the large chairs.  "Please, have a seat. Make yourself comfortable.  Eve will be here momentarily.  She's moving a bit- slower than normal."

2.1 #4.jpg

Blakely frowned.  "I hope she is well."

King Dallen started for a moment, then threw his head back and laughed.  "I apologize.  She is quite well.  She is with child.  Our third."

Blakely's eyes widened.  "Oh!  I didn't realize..."

"As you shouldn't have."  The voice from behind him had Blakely swiveling his head around.  When he saw the Queen, he stood hurriedly.  She waved him back down impatiently.  "I'm pregnant, Lord Doran, not an invalid.  I get quite enough fussing from my husband.  Please, stay seated."  Her husband, presumabely used to his wife, went to her and put an arm around her waist briefly.  She reached up to kiss his cheek.  They exchanged a brief, intimate look before King Dallen took his leave.

Queen Eve waddled- Blakely winced at the word in his head.  It felt- disrespectful, but it was the only way to describe it.  Normally, he imagined the Queen was quite graceful.  Now, however, heavily pregnant, her movements were more deliberate.  She lowered herself into the chair.  He had the urge to get up, to help, but he imagined the gesture wouldn't be welcomed, so he remained seated.

The Queen sighed as she sat, pressing her hands to the center of her back.  "Children are a miracle- and a pain," she observed with a huff.

2.1 #5.jpg

Blakely couldn't quite contain the laugh.  He knew Meredith would have stuck him to the spot with one of her looks had she been there.  Instead of the glare he imagined, Queen Eve grinned at him.  "Lord Doran, please, allow me to thank you for joining me.  I know you must have questions."

He nodded once.  "Yes, you could say that."

"Why don't I tell you why I've invited you, and then you can ask them, hm?"  Queen Eve leaned back, trying to get comfortable.  "I am the oldest of two children, but only by a few minutes.  My sister is my twin, Lord Doran."

He held up his hand.  "Please, call me Blakely."

She inclined her head.  "Blakely."  She shifted again.  "My twin, Adisa, is very dear to me.  As you are well aware, being an aristocrat is not always easy.  There is no doubt she will need to marry.  The opportunity for alliances cannot be wasted.  But by the Fury, I would not see her married to someone who is unworthy."

Blakely's chin went up.  "Worthy?  Is that what you've decided I am?"

The Queen smiled, the gesture dangerous.  "Aye.  I approve of the look you are giving me right now, in fact.  You are not a man that would be pushed around. Neither are you one to let anyone lead you around."  The smile faded.  "I want my sister to be happy- and safe, Blakely.  I want her to have what someone like you can give her."

He took a moment, trying to put his thoughts into words.  "Just what is it do you think I can give her?"

There was no hesitation.  "Safety, security, and passion.  You are a passionate man by all accounts.  I want that for my sister."

His head tilted to the side as he looked at the Queen for a long moment.

2.1 #6.jpg

"I am- flattered.  But I can't agree to anything until I meet her.  And even then- I will not marry someone just to continue a line, or to form an alliance."

"I would expect nothing less.  At the moment, Adisa is working on something for me.  It is in a delicate state."

It was Blakely's turn to smile, a predatory grin.  "She doesn't know I'm here, does she?"

Queen Eve pursed her lips.

2.1 #7.jpg

With a chuckle, she shrugged.  "No, not at the moment.  She knows I intended to get in contact with you.  But she doesn't know that I invited you here today.  To be honest, I wanted to meet you.  Both as assurance and because I found myself curious.  King Darian wrote to me almost six months ago to tell me of his decision on an heir.  I found myself curious about all of you, but especially you."

"Why me?"

"How much do you know of magic?"

"Magic?" Blakely shifted in his chair, bringing one leg up to cross it over his knee. "I know of it.  I don't fear it, if that's what you're asking."

She arched a brow, then shrugged.  "No, that isn't what I was asking.  At least you don't dismiss it like some would.  For us, magic is as important and vital as your military training is to you.  It is a part of us.  It is also a tool.  But one that can have unpredictable results."  She looked down at her hands in her lap for a moment before bringing her gaze up to his once more.  "I have seen a connection between us, between my family and yours.  There is darkness coming.  Our world is in flux.  The war in Windenburg, this contest in Newcrest.  Small rumblings in some of the other kingdoms.  I have no way of knowing what form this darkness will take, only that it will come and that my sister is deep in the middle of it.  I want someone like you by her side when that darkness hits."

Blakely stood outside his home for a moment, his mind occupied.  A sharp bark brought him out of his reverie as Maxim came running up.  The dog let out another bark.  Blakely nodded.  "You got it boy.  We could both use a run, huh?"  After changing quickly, Blakely attached Maxim's leesh to his collar and the two set off at a brisk pace.

2.1 #8.jpg

Running normally went a long way to settling Blakely down.  Not so much this time around.  By the time he and Maxim returned home, Maxim was a bit of a mess and Blakely wasn't much better.  He got the big animal into the bath and then got himself cleaned up.  Still in too much turmoil to go up to bed, he sat in the parlour.  Meredith came downstairs.  She stopped, watching Blakely for a moment before she sat down in the chair next to him.

"Well, how was your visit?"

2.1 #9.jpg

Blakely had to laugh. Meredith frowned at the bitter sound.  "I know my parents had a good marriage," Blakely murmured.  "I remember the way they looked at each other. I also know theirs was arranged. I don't know if I can do this."

Meredith pursed her lips.  "Blakely, you know that I want only what's best for you.  I know the thought of marrying for your bloodline is adhorrent to you.  It was to your father, too, once upon a time."

"What?"  Blakely blinked.  "My father?"

"Yes.  Your father.  He was much like you were.  The idea of an arranged marriage was something he hated.  But then he met your mother.  I won't say it was love at first sight; because it wasn't."  She grinned.  "In fact, the two fought like cats and dogs.  But once they both realized that they were to be joined for life, and once they both stopped resenting it and learning about the other, they fell in love."

It was hard for Blakely to take in.  The memories he had of his parents were of the way his father would touch his mother's hair, or the way his mother would brush her fingers over his father's cheek.  He couldn't imagine them saying a harsh word to each other, let alone fighting.

Meredith leaned over to pat his knee.  "Why don't we have a little gathering here, hm?  Have the Queen and her sister, the King come here?  You can at least meet the girl."

Though he knew Meredith spoke sense, he couldn't help but feel the sensation that he was sinking.  He nodded.  "That sounds like a good idea."  He stood up.  "I think I'm going to go to bed.  Good night, Meredith."

She watched him head upstairs, frowning.

Meredith called from the kitchen.  "Blakely, if you don't get upstairs to change before your guests get here, you will regret it!"  She had been frantically preparing the house all day and was in the kitchen, making food.

Blakely grimaced.  He knew Meredith had ways of making him pay.  Just as he was about to head to his room, the knocking on the door made him wince.  Oh, he was in for it now.  As Meredith opened the door to welcome in their quests.  The get-together Meredith had suggested had had to wait for a time since the Queen had finally gone into labor.  But the night had arrived.

"Lord Blakely!"  Queen Eve was resplendent in a red dress as she came up the stairs.  Of course Meredith had told her where to find him.

Before he knew what was happening, she was throwing her arms around him.  He returned the hug after a moment of surprise.  "Welcome to my home, your highness."

2.1 #10.jpg

She inclined her head.  "Thank you.  Call me Eve, please."

Blakely grinned.  "Eve it is, then.  Excuse, I have to change.  I will join you in a moment."  He made his escape quickly.

By the time he had dressed and gotten back down, the King, the Queen, and Meredith were all seated at the table.  Meredith had tried to beg off, but Blakely had told her flat out she was eating with them.  He frowned as he approached and took his seat.  There was one missing.

2.1 #11.jpg

Eve saw his look.  Her jaw tightened.  "I apologize, Lord Blakely.  Princess Adisa was supposed to meet us here."

King Dallen patted his wife's hand.  "I'm sure she's just running late."

There was a brief flicker in her eyes, one that Blakely caught.  It was an instant of raw fear before it disappeared. "Yes, I-I suppose so."

"Your highness?"  Blakely waited until she looked at him.  "What's going on?  What aren't you saying?"

"Blakely!" Meredith hissed.  He held up one hand, a gesture that just made her blink in shock while he looked Eve in the eye.

"I-I believe there is danger.  She's been looking into suspicions she's had, suspicions I dismissed at first.  Now, I am afraid I may have made a grave error.  She told me she had something to do tonight before this engagment but that she would meet us here. I didn't think anything of it, until we arrived and she hadn't."

Blakely's eyes narrowed. "Would you know?  If she was in danger?"

A look of gratitude crossed her face for a moment.  "Yes.  Yes, I would sense if she was in immediate danger.  As a twin, we have that connection.  And no, I don't feel an immediate sense, but there is- something.  She promised she would be here and that is not something she would break unless something was very wrong."

It did little in the way of assurance, but Blakely did believe her.  "Go home, go home to your children.  I will see what I can find out.  I can use the resources of the force to do a bit of digging around.  Can you tell me what she's involved in?  What her suspicions are?"

Queen Eve shook her head.  "Not entirely.  She wouldn't share them with me fully, not until she had more evidence, she said."

Blakely nodded.  "Alright.  Go home.  You'll tell me if you hear from her?"

"Of course.  Of course I will.  Thank you."

Blakely sat at his computer, then looked around to make sure no one could see his screen.

2.1 #12.jpg

He frowned as he dug into the database the department had been compiling.  It had never been his forte, but he could use it when he needed to.  His communications with Queen Eve had been sparse, but at least he knew her sister was safe- at least for the moment.  The Queen hadn't been able to give him much to go on, just that she suspected one of the noble families of her Kingdom were plotting against her family.  It wasn't an accusation to take lightly.  If it were found to be true, he doubted the other kingdoms would remain silent on the subject.

He entered a command and leaned over his keyboard, squinting at the screen.  Was that what he thought it was?

2.1 #13.jpg

Blakely was preoccupied when he arrived home.  He didn't even wipe off his boots as he normally did.  Normally, Meredith would have stopped him cold.  But this time, there was nothing.  He stopped, the hair on the back of his neck rising up.  "Meredith?" he called out, flexing his hands, his senses on full alert.

No one answered right away.  "Meredith!"

"Oh Blakely!"  The door behind him swung open to reveal a disheveled Meredith.  Her eyes were red and puffy.  "I-I was walking Maxim and-and there was a noise and he snapped his collar and ran off!  I-I can't find him!"

2.1 #14.jpg

She was sobbing.  Blakely went to her and pulled her close to him.  "Sshh, it's ok.  He's a big boy.  He'll come back to us.  It's ok."  Blakely frowned.  He had been trying so hard to keep Maxim exercised and out of trouble.  Why had the dog run off?  He was better trained than to go after a squirrel or other animal.  A shiver ran down his spine, but he hid it as he put Meredith at arms' length.  "Go on.  I'll keep an eye out for him, ok?  Go on to bed now."

Meredith nodded once, looking miserable.  Blakely sat in the chair to wait, though he had a bad feeling that wouldn't go away. 

For two days, they heard nothing.  Blakely had the day off.  He had determined that he would go out searching for Maxim again, this time further afield.  But as he was getting ready to go, he heard Meredith's excited shout.  He raced downstairs.  In the kitchen, Maxim stood, his tail wagging.  He was filthy, as Blakely thought he'd be.  But there was something else wrong.  Very wrong.

2.1 #15.jpg

Blakely knelt down next to his companion.  He examined the wound on his side.  It was an ugly one, made by a blade or something similar.  He felt the rage well up.  He had to yank it back down, get it under control before he could gently pet the dog's head.  "Let's get you looked at, boy, ok?"  He didn't say it out loud because he didn't want to worry Meredith unless he had to.  Perhaps Maxim had just gotten tangled up in some brush.  But Blakely didn't think so.  Only the vet would be able to give him some answers.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.1 New 4/22/18
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 04:26:17 AM »
Wow. What a witch's house! So much house. Paw Maxim!

Queens can waddle - they're people too. Well written as ever.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »
Oh! Soooo worth waiting for, Shewolf!!!
You are such a tease, though, only throwing out new questions while leaving old ones unanswered!

The castle is a great match for the Queen (who is very lovely, by the way).
Every queen or married noblewoman we've met so far has been pregnant, it seems. I can't wait to meet all the toddlers!
What a relief that Maxim the Red-Nosed Shepherd has returned safely!

*hangs on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what's next.... #TeamBlakely

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »
Wow. What a witch's house! So much house. Paw Maxim!

Queens can waddle - they're people too. Well written as ever.

@Heart Foam

Yeah, I really like that build.  I was happy to find it on the gallery ^^  Hehehe, yes, yes they surely can.  Eve is more than happy to remind Blakely of that lol.  Thank you so much ^^

Oh! Soooo worth waiting for, Shewolf!!!
You are such a tease, though, only throwing out new questions while leaving old ones unanswered!

The castle is a great match for the Queen (who is very lovely, by the way).
Every queen or married noblewoman we've met so far has been pregnant, it seems. I can't wait to meet all the toddlers!
What a relief that Maxim the Red-Nosed Shepherd has returned safely!

*hangs on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what's next.... #TeamBlakely

@oshizu

Mwahahahaha!  So glad it was worth the wait.  I know it can take a while for me to get these things up.

Yeah, I'm enjoying MCCC hehehe, and it's working pretty well.  Can't wait to see the toddlers too lol I want some toddlers to play with, darn it XD

Well, hopefully this will satisfy your anticipation.  Update incoming!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 02:58:46 AM »
2.2: Destined

Blakely looked around.  A chill ran down his spine.  The graveyard had that affect on one, even him.  Especially since dark was going to be falling soon.  Or maybe it just seemed that way because of this place. 

2.2 #1.jpg
Halloween Graveyard by Simproved

He moved carefully, senses on a hair trigger.  The message had said to meet here, but the place was massive.  He didn't like it; there were too many places for those with ill intentions to hide as well.  Maxim nudged his owner's leg with his muzzle.  Blakely reached down to pet his big head.  The vet had checked him over and treated his wounds, though Blakely had wanted to leave him home.  Maxim wouldn't hear of it.  He'd simply followed after his owner.

With no sign of their contact in the immediate vacinity, Blakely looked up at the mausoleum, frowning.  He slipped inside, Maxim not far behind.  The dog sniffed the air.  The hackles went up on his back for a moment as he gave a warning growl.  A soft murmur had him subsiding immediately and to Blakely's surprise, the big dog's tail started to wag and he lunged forward to the figure in the corner.  An elegant hand came down to pet his head.

Blakely stood there for a moment, watching the figure as she gave Maxim a vigorous rub on his head and chest.  "Princess Adisa."

She stood up, watching him with the same haunting red eyes as her sister.  They were definitely twins, though Blakely found himself noticing the differences.  The Queen held herself regally, her power surrounding her.  Her sister wasn't any less elegant, but there was a different kind of aura around the Princess.

"Lord Doran."  She inclined her head.  "Thank you for coming.  Please, sit.  We shouldn't be interrupted here."

He looked around, grimacing.  Then he shrugged and joined her on one of the benches.

2.2 #2.jpg

"I apologize for asking you to meet me here."  Adisa sat straight and kept herself held back from him.

"I'm just glad you're alright.  Your sister has been worried sick about you."

The Princess sighed.  "I know.  I communicated when I could, but it wasn't easy."

Maxim, who had done a circuit around the room to make sure they were alone, returned, tail wagging again as he greeted Adisa.  Blakely looked back and forth between the two for a moment.

Adisa swallowed.  "I'm so sorry, boy."  Her hand touched gently over the healing wounds on his side.  She looked at Blakely.  "Maxim was hurt- because of me."

"You?  What happened exactly?  And- how are you so friendly with him?"

2.2 #3.jpg

"I-I admit that I have been to your home before, to the outside," she assured him.  "I-"  She hesitated, a faint hint of color staining her cheeks, even in the odd light.  "I had been having dreams, even before my sister and I performed a Viewing.  I saw you.  I knew it was approaching a time that I would need to be wed.  If I was going to be wed for the good of the kingdom, I didn't want it to be to just anyone.  Since I kept seeing you, I decided to see for myself.  Maxim found me one evening.  We made friends."

As if in agreement, Maxim nudged her thigh.  It made her smile.  But it faded soon enough.  "Things in Oasis Springs are not as peaceful as they appear on the surface.  I became aware of something in doing some research.  Something that could mean a war may start.  I wanted to stop it before then."

"Alone?" he interjected, holding up a hand.  "You were trying to stop some kind of- what?  Coup attempt, alone?"  The incredulousness in his voice had her narrowing her eyes dangerously.

"I am more than capable!" she spat out, her red eyes flashing. 

Blakely had the grace to look chagrinned.  "I don't doubt that.  Truly.  But something of that nature?  It would require more than one person.  Aside from that, it's dangerous.  What happened?"

"I was in Newcrest once again.  I found it a good place to work in secret when I needed plus-" She let it dangle, grinning at him for a moment, the expression impish and full of fun.  It was like a punch to his chest for a brief moment.  He had to shake his head to snap himself out whatever spell she may have been casting over him.  "-was almost finished.  I had some treats for Maxim I wanted to give him.  So rather than going right home, I went to your place.  But as I approached, I was grabbed from behind.  I managed to scream.  Maxim heard it and ran out.  He attacked, but there were two of them.  The other had a knife and-and-"

"I know the rest," Blakely told her grimly.  He looked at Maxim.  The big dog wasn't a soft touch by any means.  He was loyal to Blakely (and Meredith), but otherwise, he could be quite aggressive.  For him to take a shine to another was a sign.  Of what, Blakely wasn't entirely sure.  The sensation of sinking gripped him again, but he shoved it away.  There wasn't time to worry about that, not at the moment.

"He's a stubborn animal and too tough to die.  The vet was able to treat him quite well."

2.2 #4.jpg

"I'm glad to hear it."  There was just the hint of a tremor in her voice.  Silence stretched between them for a moment.  Adisa stood abruptly and ran out.

"Wait!  Adisa!"  Blakely ran after her.

2.2 #5.jpg

Maxim gave a bark.  He ran after the Princess as well, helping corall her so Blakely could catch up.  "Wait, Princess.  Please, I know you feel guilty for putting Maxim in danger.  It's alright.  It's obvious he's taken a shine to you. Don't run again."  He was doing some furious thinking.  If she was in the kind of danger he thought, she needed a safe place.  Normally, he'd think the castle would be more than enough, but if it was her own people, then that was no guarantee.

"Where can I go?  I can't go home.  My sister is Queen, but that position is tenuous at best.  And there's the new baby-"

Blakely put a hand on each of her shoulders.  "I have an idea.  You may not like it, but I think it will work until we can come up with something else.  And it gives me some time to look into it."  He held up a hand again at the thundercloud that fell over her expression.  "I have resources at the department I can use, resources you won't have access to.  And yes, I'm aware you're a witch.  But that didn't help you over much a few days ago did it?  Especially if you are dealing with other witches.  Since I don't want Maxim made at me for losing his new friend, can you please cooperate with me?"

Adisa pursed her lips and looked down at the dog who was sitting in between the two, looking up at her with his dual-colored eyes.  She sighed.  "Yes.  I will cooperate.  I do thank you for this.  I just- would prefer it wasn't necessary."

"That makes two of us," Blakely agreed.  He had a few things to put into motion.

Blakely wandered downstairs, ready to hit the weights.  He needed a good workout to burn off the frustration he was feeling.  The current arrangement certainly wasn't ideal and he thought if he had to have another argument with Adisa about leaving the house, he was going to say a few things he might regret.  He was looking forward to sweating out the stress.  As soon as he reached the basement, however, he stopped.  Meredith was standing by the treadmill, sobbing.

"Meredith!  What is it?  Are you ok?"

She started.  "Oh!  Blakely!  F-forgive me."  She hastily wiped at the tears, scrubbing at her face a moment. 

"Hey now.  What it is?"

She shook her head, unwilling to look him in the eye.  He put a hand on each of her shoulders.  "Talk to me," he murmured.

2.2 #6.jpg

Pulling herself together, she looked up at him.  "I'm just afraid, for you.  I know you want to protect the Princess.  It's the kind of man you are.  But someone tried to hurt her already.  I-I just can't stand the thought of someone trying to hurt you."

His grin was wolfish.  "Meredith.  I won't ask you to stop worrying because I know you won't do that.  But I will ask you to trust me, alright?"

Even as she sighed, she let out a short laugh.  "Oh, my boy, I do trust you.  I just know you, too.  Just promise me you'll be careful, alright?"

"Of course."  He kissed her cheek.  She hugged him tightly and then went upstairs, leaving him to his workout.

The interrogation room was lit with a single lightbulb.  Blakely could smell the sweat of the other person in the room.  He looked at the young man.  "Listen carefully.  This isn't your first go-around here, is it?  Your sheet is a long one.  You may think you've been through it all.  But let me tell you, this is petty stuff compared to the charges you're looking at now."

The belligerant youth crossed his arms over his chest, looking bored.  "What ya gonna do?  Throw me back in that cell?  I can take a nap."

Blakely slammed the file he held on the table.  "You think assault is funny?"

The kid rolled his eyes.  "I didn't do nothin'!  You can't prove I did!"

Blakely leaned across the table, a fire in his eyes as he let some of that rage he'd been holding in out.

2.2 #7.jpg

"Next time you stab someone's dog, you should be more careful.  We have your DNA, punk.  And we have an eye witness who has already IDed you.  This means you'll be doing some hard time.  Since you assaulted a Princess of Oasis Springs, you'll be transferred there for them to deal with you."

At that, the young man began to cry, screaming for help.  "No no no no!  You can't!"

"Oh, but I can.  Unless you start talking.  Tell me what you know."  Blakely sat down and waited.  As the stupid lad spilled his guts, Blakely took it all in and filed it away.  After the kid was hauled away back to his cell, Blakely sat down at his desk.  He looked around slowly and then used the code that Adisa had given him.  Then he began to dig further, using some of the information he had just gotten.

2.2 #8.jpg

Blakely walked through the door, letting out a sigh.  He was relieved (and then felt immediately guilty) that no one was there.  He needed some time and space to think.  It wasn't meant to be, however.  After he had gone upstairs to change and then come back down, he had another guest.  Adisa and her sister sat on the sofa in the parlour.

Queen Eve stood.  "Lord Doran.  I can't thank you enough for looking after my sister."

Blakely went to her and took the hand she had offered.  "You don't need to thank me for that."  Adisa was careful not to look him in the eye.  That concerned him; she was all too comfortable calling him out when she felt like it.  He'd been on the receiving end of it a couple times when he had forbidden her from trying to help find more information on her own.

"Please, let's all sit.  You got my message?  That we have the culprit and his accomplices that tried to assault and abduct your sister?"

"Yes, yes I got your message.  I have some tidings of my own, which is why I wanted to come in person."  The twins shared a look and then Queen Eve let out an explosive breath.

2.2 #9.jpg

"The information you have and have passed on is invaluable.  However, it doesn't get us closer to the true culprits, the one that hired those men.  My sister's safety can not be guaranteed in Oasis Springs right now.  That is something I hate to even think about.  But it is what it is."

Blakely said nothing for a moment.  A part of him was kicking and screaming that it wasn't fair.  But the larger part went calm.  "Then, the only course is that she must stay here.  I- I can give her protection here, not just in my home, but- I can give her the protection of my name."  He looked at her.  "If she wants it, that is."

"I don't want to be an obligation!" Adisa threw up her arms. 

2.2 #10.jpg

She looked at her sister once more before she stormed off.

Eve watched her twin leave, then sighed.  "Lord Doran-"

Blakely shook his head.  "No, please, don't apologize.  The situation is one that isn't ideal on either side.  I would prefer circumstances have been different myself.  Why don't you let me speak with her?"

The Queen tilted her head to the side, watching him from hooded eyes.  She nodded.  "Of course.  And thank you, truly.  I can never repay you for what you've done."

Blakely managed a rueful smile.  "Family doesn't talk of repayment.  Good night, your highness."

"Eve.  Please call me, Eve."

"Good night, Eve."

"Good night, Blakely."

Blakely sat at the card table after the Queen left, shuffling the cards in his hands just for something to do.  There was the soft sound of footfalls coming down the stairs, along with the click-click-click of Maxim's nails.  The dog greeted his owner with a happy yip.  Adisa, changed after a shower, came and sat down at the table.  She picked up a card, staring at it hard.  Silence stretched between the two of them for a moment.

It was broken when Adisa swallowed.  "Blakely, I-I am not ungrateful for your help and all that you've done.  And I know that my attitude must seem baffling, since I found myself drawn to you initially.  But the one thing I wanted was more than just obligation, more than duty.  I-I want a real marriage."

Blakely didn't say anything.  He stood up.  He turned his head just enough to look at her.  "Adisa, I would never force you to do something you didn't want.  I don't see you as an obligation.  The situation isn't what either of us want, I know.  It doesn't mean we wouldn't have a real marriage, though."  With that, he went upstairs.

2.2 #11.jpg

For several days, the atmosphere in the Doran household was rather tense.  Adisa and Blakely seemed to walk on eggshells around one another.  They hadn't spoken about their circumstances again.  They were each wrestling with their own demons and trying to put everything into perspective.

It helped Adisa that Blakely was putting in some overtime at the department.  She knew that he was still trying to find information on the true culprits behind the attack on her.  "Ms. Hanover?"  Adisa had never been shy, but she was finding it hard to find the right words.

The two women had gone downstairs to use the equipment a bit.

"Yes dear?"  Meredith turned her head to look at Adisa and smiled.

2.2 #12.jpg

"I-I was hoping to talk to you, about Blakely."

Meredith's smile widened.  She shut the treadmill down and stepped off.  "Follow me.  We can be more comfortable upstairs."

The two tropped up the stairs and then made themselves comfortable on the sofa.  "Now.  I have a feeling I know what you want to ask.  I'm not going to answer that.  Instead, I want to tell you a story."

2.2 #13.jpg

Adisa settled back, tucking her legs up beneath her as Meredith leaned against the arm.  "When Blakely was about twelve, he came home from his courtier training.  He'd been waiting for that training since he could walk.  But he came home and was a bit more subdued than I could remember seeing him.  When I asked him what was wrong, he didn't want to tell me at first.  He's always been a private boy.  Eventually, I pried it out of him.  During training, one of his mates was injured, pretty badly.  No one was sure if the boy would survive, let alone be able to be a knight.  Having lost his parents a year or so before, it was hard for him to see a friend in that kind of state."

Adisa nodded.  She felt for that little boy that Blakely must have been.  "What happened?"

"Well, the young man survived.  But he had been badly injured.  Every day, after he had completed his own training, he'd go and spend time with the boy.  When the boy was strong enough to get up, Blakely would help him walk.  He helped him build up strength and eventually, he helped him hold a sword again.  He worked with him for years.  Eventually, the young man became a knight."

Adisa was silent for a long moment.  "Years?"

Meredith nodded.  "Years.  Blakely is a stubborn boy.  But his heart is in the right place.  He takes care.  He takes care of those around him."

The Princess stood.  Though doubts and fears still lingered, she had made up her mind.  "Thank you."

"Of course, dear."

Adisa looked over at Maxim who had been sleeping on his bed.  "C'mon, boy.  Let's go for a run!"  The dog yipped in excitement and turned around in a couple circles.  Adisa attached the leash to his collar and the two were ready for a run.  She thought it would help clear her head before Blakely got home.

2.2 #14.jpg

Blakely found his home strangely quiet as he walked in.  He rubbed a hand over the back of his neck.  It had been a long day.  Cases were piling up and he still hadn't gotten to the bottom of those who posed a danger to Adisa.  The papers had arrived from Eve the night before.  The two were going to have to come to grips before too long.  They were to be wed.  It was happening.  They needed to make peace; hopefully before they were married.

He ran up to his quarters to shower and change.  As he came back downstairs, he noticed it was still very quiet.  But where it had been devoid of anyone, Adisa sat on the couch.  "Hello, Lord Blakely," she greeted, oddly formal.

"Princess."  He tilted his head at her.  "Is everything alright?"

She thought about it for a moment.  "Yes, actually.  I do believe it is."  She braced one arm and began to stand up.  She looked at him, something in her eyes that had him freezing.  Two steps brought her right in front of him.  Before he knew what she could be planning, her lips were on his!

2.2 #15.jpg

He didn't move for a brief second, then he was losing himself in the kiss.  It didn't least near long enough for his liking.  As she stepped back, she smiled up at him.  "That was just to let you know that I won't mind being an obligation."  She turned and went upstairs to the guest room.

Blakely could only stare after her for a long moment, then a huge smile pulled the corners of his mouth upward.  He headed up the stairs, humming.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.2 New 4/23/18
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »
Adisa, took you long enough to decide to just win Blakely's heart if you want a real marriage.
I thought it was very crafty of her to befriend his dog first, though.

I love Meredith's character and the role you're having her play in Blakely's life and storyline.
Blakely is smoking gorgeous in that shot where he confronts the lowlife who stabbed Maxim. *fans self

Why was Blakely smiling and humming as he headed upstairs after Adisa? Is someone going to get lucky? lol

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.2 New 4/23/18
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:52 AM »
This is so wonderful! I don't know where to begin. The tension waiting for the initial meeting of Blakely and Adisa! The fact that she befriended his dog before she did him! The will-they, won't-they situation of living together, facing an arranged marriage. And then the heart-melting story of Blakely and his friend. Who wouldn't fall for that guy?
Oh, man. Things are looking good for Team Blakely! I love this couple, and it was definitely worth the wait to see them finally get together. Such a satisfying kiss! *sigh*
Plus, the serious amounts of smolder going on in that shot of Blakely doing the interrogation. Phew! Yup. Team Blakely, all the way! Bravo!
p.s. Oh no, they did NOT go after Maxim! You do not mess with the dog! Whoever these people are, they are in for a world of pain! *shakes fist*