Author Topic: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Away from Home (Oct 29)  (Read 16583 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: New Alliances (July 17)
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
Popping in to say I've been really enjoying this story!

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: The Spirit of Mann (Sept 11)
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »
@reggikko and @Shewolf13 , thank you!  Here's a long overdue update...

The Spirit of Mann

I’ve known Hu all my life. Now that he’s an elder and I’m not, I am forced to face the fact that I will someday have to go on without him.  This realization makes me want to linger over every embrace and hang on to every kiss.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I don’t say this to Hu, but I think he knows.  He’s been extra attentive lately. 

One of the sweetest things Hu does is to stay up after everyone else has gone to bed, lulling us to sleep with his beautiful music.  It’s a talent he only discovered in his elder years.

Early one morning, the spirits come and quietly take my Hu away.  Everyone else is sleeping, which is probably the way Hu wanted it.

We all deal with our grief in different ways.  I seek solace in meditation, as I always have.  Tally joins me, and even though she is a beginner, I think it helps.

Journey, who is still but a child, finds her own way to remember her father.  I often find her fishing at his favorite spot.

As for Snow and Lee…

…it is through them that we are all reminded that life must go on. 

As is our custom, we have the naming ceremony the following morning.

“You are Avery, of the tribe of Mann,” I say.  “Firstborn son of the reigning Chief Snow and grandson of the honorable Chief Hu.  May the spirits of our ancestors always watch over you.”

And in no time at all, my first grandson is toddling around and old enough to feed himself at dinner.

It isn’t long before Lee discovers that she is expecting again. Avery will soon have a little brother or sister.

I wish Hu were here to meet his grandchildren and see all these wonderful changes.  But then again, I kind of feel like he is here.

Challenge progress:
Hu completed Soulmates day 30
Hu maxed violin skill day 33
Snow completed Friend of World day 36
Wu maxed wellness skill day 39

Avery Mann is meant to sound like ‘every man’ because he’s pretty important to the rest of the challenge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »
The Manns continue to make great progress and in marvelous style. What a stunning family, each and every sim.
Love your choice of clothing for the Manns.
And Avery Mann and his name are simply adorable!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »
D'awww, Avery is adorable! RIP Hu, you were a terrific founding spouse.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
Beautiful, just plain, purely beautiful.  It reminds us in a way that those we "lost" are never really truly gone, and so Hu comes to give love and hugs back to those he left behind.  Avery is a perfect name and a most adorable child.  I love how you have planned out the lot.  It looks like a true village of a clan, one that is growing.  Those fish drying are a perfect touch.  Glad to read more of the Mann dynasty.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
The Manns continue to make great progress and in marvelous style. What a stunning family, each and every sim.
Love your choice of clothing for the Manns.
And Avery Mann and his name are simply adorable!
Thank you!  I really like this little tribe.  I took a long break from playing them, and now I'm trying to get caught up.   :)

D'awww, Avery is adorable! RIP Hu, you were a terrific founding spouse.
Hu really was a terrific founding spouse.  I always feel bad for the poor guys who don't get the life extension from pregnancy.  And on short lifespan, they become elders so fast!

Beautiful, just plain, purely beautiful.  It reminds us in a way that those we "lost" are never really truly gone, and so Hu comes to give love and hugs back to those he left behind.  Avery is a perfect name and a most adorable child.  I love how you have planned out the lot.  It looks like a true village of a clan, one that is growing.  Those fish drying are a perfect touch.  Glad to read more of the Mann dynasty.
Thanks!  I like to keep my ghosts around for a while in my games.  I'm usually not ready to let my sims go completely. 

I've had a lot of fun with the builds for this challenge- trying to figure out how to evolve from one era to the next.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: The Changing Times (Sept 16)
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
The Changing Times

Daughters.  Some days I don’t know what to do with them.

This one decides to make a mess, and when I ask where she got the dyes from, all she can say is “I don’t know!”

And this one has me worried.  She has a frequent visitor.  His name is Youseff and he’s the young man Tally met at the gathering place.  The one I had an uneasy feeling about.  Even though he stands at an appropriate distance on the other side of the fence, I still can’t shake my uncomfortable feeling.

I ask Tally how well she knows this young man and her blushing response, combined with a mumbled “I think he’s romantic…” is the very opposite of reassuring.  As calmly as I can, I suggest that she might want to ask some questions designed to get to know him better.  If she doesn’t, I will.

To her credit, Tally does as I request and reports back the next day that Youseff is not only romantic, but also dislikes children and is a thief.  A thief!  Can you imagine?

“Don’t worry, Mama,” she tells me. “As soon as he said he hated children, I told him we could never be more than friends.” 

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that my family-oriented girl is more concerned about him not wanting children than the fact that he steals.  Whatever her reasons, I am relieved to be rid of Youseff the thief.

And fortunately, Tally’s cheerful nature helps her quickly get over whatever feelings she might have had for the boy.

After dodging that arrow, I turn to my son for help.  Snow knows the other tribes better than any of us.  He arranges a meeting between Tally and a man from the tribe of Mori.  My son tells me that Noah is family-oriented, like Tally, and is self-assured and loves to be outside.  Well, what do you know?  I guess my son really did talk to more than just girls when he was getting to know the world!  I should have come to Snow sooner.

Tally’s marriage to Noah, of the tribe of Mori, is swiftly arranged.  Since the Mori tribe is nomadic and owns no land, we move the new couple into our old cave, just up the hill.  Tally tells me I have another grandchild on the way. 

But first, we welcome the arrival of Snow and Lee’s second child.  Avery protectively guards the door while his mother is in labor.

All of the adults in the tribe gather on a misty morning for the naming ceremony.

“You are Otto, of the Tribe of Mann.  Second son of our Chief Snow and grandson of beloved Chief Hu.  May the spirits of our ancestors always find favor with you.”

It is nice that Tally and her new husband are there.  I never know when they will wander down the hill to our place, and it’s always nice to see them.

Sometimes we return the favor and wander up the hill.  One day, Noah’s parents are there, too.  They must be excited to meet Adeline, Tally and Noah’s daughter.   

Adeline resembles her father with her light blonde hair.  Toddler Otto looks just like his brother did at that age.  Speaking of which, my oldest grandchild, Avery, cannot sit still and runs off to climb trees.

Worn out from tree climbing, young Avery sleeps soundly that night while his parents discuss important plans for the future.

And he doesn’t even stir when a bear breaks into one of our huts.  Those of us who are awake watch helplessly as the bear walks right past Otto.  Fortunately, Hu’s spirit appears and protects my youngest grandson from harm.

I would like to say the encounter with the bear is what causes these gray streaks to appear in my hair.  But the truth is, I noticed that gray many moons ago.  I can feel that my journey here is almost at an end.  I only hope that I have prepared the next generation so that our story will continue to be told.

Notes:  This is the end of Low Tech!  Wu maxed gardening skill on day 40, Snow maxed guitar on day 41, Wu completed Freelance Botanist on day 43.  Wu has already received her final notice from Grim and I was afraid she wouldn’t get to evolve her 10th excellent plant in time, but she made it!  Barely.

The score so far is 3.  (Hu and Wu count for 2 in No Tech + Snow counts for 1 in Low Tech)

*edited to add* Looking back at these pictures, it sure looks like Tally has a ‘type’ (both Youseff and Noah have long blonde hair).    Sorry if it’s hard to tell them apart. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
Good riddance, Youssef! That's one disaster averted.
Ooooh, Noah has two of the Watcher's favorite traits, I imagine! What a perfect match for Tally!

Congratulations to the Manns on completing the Low Tech era. I'm glad Wu was able to see her family through to that milestone!
Can't wait to see the next transformation of your household, BallerinaHippo!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »
Oh my! Heh, love the fact that Tally was more worried about Youseff hating children than being a thief. Congrats on completing low tech! Can't wait to see how things go.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
My day is complete I got the chance to read your story!  I love how there are so many toddlers and so many different looks to where they live and all.  The clothes are gorgeous of course.  Good thing Tally got rid of hates kids and steals. I think I'd rather have a thief than a hates kids person.  She has quite a sensible head on her shoulders.  Great marriage too.  I love your naming ceremonies.  So sweet and brings the lineage all in line.  I think yours in one of the most unique stories being told.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
Good riddance, Youssef! That's one disaster averted.
Ooooh, Noah has two of the Watcher's favorite traits, I imagine! What a perfect match for Tally!

Congratulations to the Manns on completing the Low Tech era. I'm glad Wu was able to see her family through to that milestone!
Can't wait to see the next transformation of your household, BallerinaHippo!
After discovering that Youssef was a klepto, I went searching in Snow's relationship panel hoping to find someone good.  Noah was that someone.  The only downside was that he was already an adult.  Fortunately, Tally seemed to like him and they were married quickly.

I was really worried about Wu making it to the end of Low Tech.  Her age bar was bubbling when she finally evolved her last three excellent plants to complete Freelance Botanist!

Oh my! Heh, love the fact that Tally was more worried about Youseff hating children than being a thief. Congrats on completing low tech! Can't wait to see how things go.
Haha!  Yeah, Tally is family oriented so I figured kids would be her primary concern.  Wu was more worried about having a kleptomaniac for a son-in-law.  Can't have him visiting and swiping stuff.

My day is complete I got the chance to read your story!  I love how there are so many toddlers and so many different looks to where they live and all.  The clothes are gorgeous of course.  Good thing Tally got rid of hates kids and steals. I think I'd rather have a thief than a hates kids person.  She has quite a sensible head on her shoulders.  Great marriage too.  I love your naming ceremonies.  So sweet and brings the lineage all in line.  I think yours in one of the most unique stories being told.
Thank you!  I didn't mean for it to take over a month to get the next update out.  I hope you enjoy the transition to Mid Tech. 

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: The Story Continues (Oct. 23)
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
Mid Tech Era begins:

The new era begins right in the middle of Summer.  Life span changes from short to normal.  Pets and clubs are now allowed.  Wishing well is allowed for this era only.  Kids can go to school, but no after school activities.  Still no careers for adults.

The Story Continues

My name is Avery, of the tribe of Mann. 

Actually, we don’t refer to ourselves as a tribe anymore.  It’s an antiquated term.  However, that’s the way my grandmother introduced herself so it felt right to say that here.

Our story thus far has been told by my grandmother, and she told it well, but now it is up to me to continue.  Why me?  Well, I guess it’s because I’m the one who used to sit and listen to Grandmother’s stories.  She told me all about the Great Winter and how she and Grandfather Hu survived and everything else. 

When I went to school and learned how to read and write, I found the means to tell Grandmother’s stories so they would not be forgotten.  But I am getting ahead of myself.

The last story that Grandmother told me was about the bear breaking into one of our huts and how Grandfather Hu’s spirit came to watch over my baby brother.

It wasn’t long after the bear got in that father rebuilt our huts into something much more substantial.  Looking back, I am impressed by what Father accomplished in such a short time.  He built separate spaces for sleeping, cooking and eating, gardening, bathing, and playing games.

We even got new beds, but Grandmother did not get to rest in hers very long. 

I remember my mother pleading with the spirit who came to take my grandmother.  The spirit took Grandmother anyway, but it means a lot to me that my mother tried.

Mother took over Grandmother’s garden, and Aunt Journey started keeping bees. 

In addition to woodworking, Father took up painting as a hobby.  He paints a lot of different things, but Mother likes his mountain scenes best.  I think it reminds her of where she grew up.

My baby sister was born in the middle of Summer.  Everyone says she looks like Father, but I really don’t know how you can tell with a nooboo. 

With my grandmother gone, it fell to my father to perform her naming ceremony.

“You are Kay, of the tribe of Mann,” he said.  “Daughter of Snow and Lee, granddaughter of Hu and Wu.  May the spirits watch over you always.”

When Kay was born, I couldn’t help but wonder how my brother would adjust to not being the baby anymore.  He was used to family members and visitors all doting on him.  I remember one day when my Uncle Noah and Patchy the scarecrow spent several hours teaching Otto how to stack blocks.

Have I mentioned Patchy?  Both Kay and Otto were good friends with him.  Kay probably learned to talk by babbling to him.

I once asked Mother if everyone had a scarecrow like Patchy. She said some do, but not everyone, and it might be best not to mention Patchy at school.  Apparently, some people don’t believe in things like talking scarecrows and ghosts.

That seems strange to me.  Do some families not have spirits that visit them?  How odd.   

Notes:  Snow was held at handiness level 8 until the end of Low Tech.  Once the new era began, he was allowed to resume the handiness skill and also took up painting.  The result is that he maxed both handiness and painting four days into Mid Tech, on challenge day 47.  Snow completed the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration on day 49.

Wu’s age bar was already bubbling when Mid Tech began.  The original plan was to have Wu complete Big Happy Family in Mid Tech, but it didn’t happen.  Wu died before her fourth grandchild, Kay, was born.

Since it’s been a while, here's a brief family history.
  • Hu and Wu (our founders) had three children:  Snow, Tally, and Journey
  • Snow married Lee Santos and they also have three children: Avery, Otto, and Kay
  • Tally married Noah and moved out.  Their daughter, Adeline, was conceived before Tally moved.

Current household members are Snow, Lee, Journey, Avery, Otto, and Kay

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: The Story Continues (Oct 23)
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
RIP Wu! You will be missed! Congrats on getting to Mid Tech! Love this family so much ^^

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 11:53:45 PM »
The Manns are doing so well with everything, thanks to their Watcher!
Love your choice of everyone's clothing, too. :)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2019, 11:05:23 PM »
RIP Wu! You will be missed! Congrats on getting to Mid Tech! Love this family so much ^^
Aww, thanks!  I was really hoping that Wu would get to enjoy more of Mid Tech, but her age bar was already bubbling and switching from short to normal lifespan didn't help. 

The Manns are doing so well with everything, thanks to their Watcher!
Love your choice of everyone's clothing, too. :)
Thanks!  I probably spent waaaay too much time searching for just the right clothes for each era.  It's fun, though.  :)

anything