Author Topic: Why does my Sim have Blonde hair none of her parents have Blonde hair?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline roman2886

• Llama Wrangler
My Child Sim was born to a mother with Light Brown Hair, and a father with Dark Brown hair. How did this happen as i remember her mothers father and her brother have Blonde hair the gene comes from her mothers side of the family.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Why does my Sim have Blonde hair none of her parents have Blonde hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »
It seems the game does throw random genetics in every now and again. Or at least that's been my experience.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline roman2886

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
My Sims are 100% European British they Half Scottish Half English,The Ford Children are born to a Scottish Mother,and a English father the Lloyd Children are 100% Welsh both parents are Welsh Meghan takes after the Ford side in hair colour her eye colour is from the Lloyd side her eye shape is from the Ford side her skin colour from the Lloyd side she has Olive Skin her mum has very pale skin.

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
Yes, the take-your-breathe-away event of a random blonde hair color!

Apparently the dev's decided that there should be a small percentage of randomness to offspring's hair color, no matter that it should be genetically impossible!

You can either accept it, like I have decided to do as in my TJ game I don't change genetics of any kind, to follow the spirit of the challenge.

Or you can take your parent sims into CAS and copy each of their hair colors and then decide on which one to give their children, or maybe a shading of both.

Unless you're playing a challenge that expressly forbids doing something like that, it's the only way to get rid of the offending random blondeness.

Just look at how unique my co-heir Jemma looks with her brilliant blonde locks when she aged up to toddler!

Definitely a contrast to her grey skinned twin with the dark hair she inherited from her mother and grandfather.

I was stunned when she aged to toddler, but now that we've lived with it all this time, I'm getting used to the contrast between her ebony skin and her golden hair. :)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 02:45:16 AM »
I get mutations too. I think it's important to keep in mind that Sims genetics aren't adhering to exact realism - Sims genetics are their own. But it's a nice touch that features sometimes skip a generation or two, just like in real life.

@deedee_828: Your black and blonde Sim is gorgeous :o
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
Parker Langerak had a kid with Morganna Wolff ... they both had black hair, son had blonde hair ... the only member of the Langerak family in Sims 3 that had blonde hair was Zelda Mae - so maybe her hair somehow got into that mix :) I don't think there are any dead Langeraks in the Sunset Valley graveyard at start of game.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 09:49:12 PM »
@Deklitch: Parker's dad, Dustin, has blond hair. Kids actually have a 50% chance of getting a grandparents' hair color but the reality is obscured by sims who don't have grandparents and sims who share a hair color with their parents.

Same link shows a 20% chance for a random hair color/"mutation" (some of the preset hair colors in CAS + some hidden presets), and I get the need to justify it with distant ancestors or imagining hidden data in a sim but the reality is a lot stupider.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »
@Trip shows how little I have ever paid attention to Dustin, doesn't it? LOL

Offline roman2886

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
@Deklitch: Parker's dad, Dustin, has blond hair. Kids actually have a 50% chance of getting a grandparents' hair color but the reality is obscured by sims who don't have grandparents and sims who share a hair color with their parents.

Same link shows a 20% chance for a random hair color/"mutation" (some of the preset hair colors in CAS + some hidden presets), and I get the need to justify it with distant ancestors or imagining hidden data in a sim but the reality is a lot stupider.
the same thing happened to Thomas,and Anna's daughter she ended up with Blonde hair the colour have her uncle and her grandfather have normally i woud expect the offspring to have the hair colour from one of the parents.

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Like Trip mentioned, in Sims with grandparents around (in the same town, either living or as a ghost) there is a high chance of them inheriting the grandparents hair color. In fact, my heirs inherit a grandparent's hair color more often than a parent's. But again, results can be mixed if more than one of the parents/grandparents share the same or a similar color.

When I was playing in Isla Paradiso, my blonde heiress married a young man with aqua/turquoise hair, Desmond Torres. Desmond's father, Matteo Torres, had dark hair and his mother, Karlie Goldberg, was a blonde!

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Matteo_Torres

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Karlie_Goldberg

Upon researching Matteo Torres I discovered that his parents did 'live' in town, though both as ghosts who had drowned, hence the blue-toned hair color. The drowned grandparent ghosts also had blue eyes and light blue skin, but both of Matteo's children only received the aqua/turquoise hair, and had their parents skin tones, not the blue.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Garcia_Torres

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Florinda_Torres

I use the NRaas Story Progression mod in place of the games own story progression and several of it's add-on modules for fine tuning more of what happens in the game, including genetics, to a degree.
I believe I have my inheritance from grandparents set at 25%, or maybe even lower, and have enabled a more 'blended' genetics to be the norm in my game rather than the children inheriting their genetics from one or the other of their parents.

Even so, I have children inherit the grandparents hair color what seems like more often than not.
Carly and Desmond had three children, none of whom received his aqua/turquoise hair, but their granddaughter, Lorelei, whose parents had red and blonde hair, ended up being my first heir with that distinctive aqua/turquoise color! And then Lorelei passed it on to one of her four children, a daughter, Lucinda. None of Lucinda's four children received it, though she and her mother both possessed it. Yet all three of Lorelei's other children, spares, each had a child with the aqua/turquoise locks their grandmother had.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
Inherited traits commonly skip a generation in real life as well. I have a lot of mutatant-blondes in my game, though. There are no blondes among the foundes. They just appeared just like a unique variety of brown and black.
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline simsguide1

• Nooboo
  • I love playing Sims!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 05:37:43 AM »
i agree with the others, i think that the genes of the sims are chosen randomly, so it can happen that the child has blond hair although the parents have brown hair. Maybe the grandparents had blonde hair and the child has inherited this gene.
Best regards :)

Offline Glamm75

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 05:05:42 AM »
i agree with the others, i think that the genes of the sims are chosen randomly, so it can happen that the child has blond hair although the parents have brown hair. Maybe the grandparents had blonde hair and the child has inherited this gene.
Best regards :)

I agree with you definitely possible, but not that common.
All family members can contribute to the characteristics of others.