Author Topic: Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)  (Read 120184 times)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Riches Galore
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
Brilliant as always, Schipperke.  Your dog is gorgeous and looking right at the camera.  Welcome to all the toddlers and congrats on all of the new couples.  This is such a good story to read in the morning with a cup of coffee, lol. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
Chapter 23:  Week 7 Thursday

Thursday morning after Pippa and the older children have left for school and work, Sebastian and Gordon go the the library.

They finish the last of the toddler skill books and Gordon hustles off to the toy box.  Sebastian spies a tourist looking lost and decides to try out his new charisma skills on the tourist.  He figures that if his conversational efforts fail this time, it won't matter as much as it would if he alienates his boss or some prominent SV resident. 

The tourist's name is Shen.  To Sebastian's surprise and delight, Shen is remarkably easy to talk to.  Soon they are chatting away like old friends and Sebastian is telling Shen things he never thought he'd dare to say to anyone.

Sebastian:  I can't believe how well we're getting along!  Usually people get offended by what I have to say and I wind up having to apologize all the time.

Shen:  Yes, I know just what you mean.  I used to be like that too.
Sebastian:  You?  But you're so easy to talk to!
Shen:  Oh yes, now I am.  But you should have known me before - I was always annoying people by telling them their mother was a llama and pointing out their flaws.  But then I got SWAPped, and I never do things like that any more.
Sebastian:  You got what?
Shen:  SWAPped.  SWAP is a self-help program.  The letters stand for Sims With Awful Personalities.  The program teaches Sims how to get rid of bad personality traits and get new ones.
Sebastian:  Really?  I've never heard of this group.

Shen:  There used to be a group here - James Douglas started it, but that was before the great meteorite disaster that destroyed most of the town.
Sebastian:  Oh yes, I remember hearing about that.  So if someone in Sunset Valley was interested in learning more about your methods, would they have to travel to China?
Shen:  Oh no, our literature explains very clearly how it's done.  Would you like to have copies of the brochures?

Sebastian hesitates only slightly as he wonders what the eavesdropping Molly French will think.  But he's tired of people taking a dislike to him every time he opens his mouth.  He tells Shen he wants copies of all the information he has.

Shen goes on:  If you SWAP your snobbishness for another trait, you will no longer be a slave to the mirror like you are now, always compelled to run and check on your appearance.
Sebastian cringes inwardly as he realizes how well Shen has him pegged.
Finally Shen says:  But before you go this route, you must be very sure it's what you want.  Because it will cost you.
Sebastian:  Well, I don't have much money right now -
Shen interrupts:  No, no, not money!  I mean it will cost you in happiness points.  20,000 happiness points, to be precise.  That's a lot of happiness points to give up.  So take your time and think carefully before you do it.  Be sure you know what traits you want.
Sebastian:  I will!  I know this is right for me.  You're right - I am a slave to the mirror.  I neglect my children and sometimes even my own needs just to look in the mirror.  I'm so glad we've met!  You're a true friend, Shen.  Thank you so much.

That evening Pippa and Sebastian are chatting as the children play chess.

Pippa:  What are those brochures and pamphlets on the table?

Sebastian tells her about Shen and the group.  He omits to tell Pippa the group's full name as he doesn't think she would appreciate being called a Sim with an Awful Personality.  He says:  I think I'm going to try it. 
Pippa:  Do you think I should try it too?
Sebastian:  Well, Pippa, you're just as much a slave to that mirror as I am.  And I really don't think whining about life gets you very far either.  Of course, it's up to you.  Why don't you look at the pamphlets and see what you think?

A picture is worth a thousand words, right?  What can't speak can't lie.  So I won't tell you Pippa's response.  I'll show you:

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
Postscript to the previous post:  If you're wondering about SWAP, James Douglas, and the great meteorite disaster, they are all in the Clan Douglas Dynasty, here:  http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,1817.200.html

James was the founder of the dynasty, SWAP appears on page 21, and the meteorite disaster happened at the end of the dynasty.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Awesome update! I can't believe this, but I don't think I've read the Douglas Dynasty! I'll read it now and if I haven't I'll comment on it. Off to read all 64 pages!  ;D

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
Schip's dynasty was wonderful. I read it from cover to cover and it was absolutely amazing. This story is just as awesome! Incredible update. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »
I miss the Clan Douglas dynasty.  :( But this story is just as good.
'They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you' - Larkin

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
So far I agree with you guys! I'm only on page 18 and I'm hooked!  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
The Douglas Dynasty was amazing~! ;D
I really miss it... :(
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Brilliant story. Really like how your pictures always to tie in with the narrative, especially the speech bubbles.  I'm feeling torn at the moment, torn between wishing that I'd caught up with this later, so that there would be more to read, and being pleased that it has not ended yet.  You do tell a good tale.

If I had caught up with this earlier, I would have definitely called that pattern 'Schipperke's Galore' in honour.  Thanks for liking it and using it.  Loved the photo of James.  He seemed to be laughing, probably something to do with his reading material  ;D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
Chapter 24:  Week 7 Friday - Saturday

Friday morning the children go off to school as usual.  So we thought.  Around noon, the truant officer (my alter ego) observed Gregory playing hookey.  Gregory is the first Evil child I've played.  I know he takes Evil Showers (which look just like regular showers to me) so maybe he plays Evil Hookey as well.  Not on my watch, though.  Back to school, and none of that Evil nonsense here, kiddo!

Friday evening Pippa and Sebastian are playing chess after the children go to bed. 

Sebastian:  I've been trying to decide what new traits I want.  There are so many to choose from - all the way from Absent Minded to Workaholic.  Did you know there's a trait called Vehicle Enthusiast that lets you have a good relationship with your car?
Pippa:  Now, there's a useful trait for someone who can't afford a car!
Sebastian:  I don't want to wipe the slate clean, you know.  I do have some good traits!  Being able to donate to charity - well, if I change that one we won't be able to get our inheritance.  And I'm really a pretty good cook.  What are you smirking at?
Pippa says smugly:  I'm enjoying watching your struggle, brother.
Sebastian:  Well, you should be struggling with this too!  I'm not the only one who needs new traits here.
Pippa:  Oh, but you are.
Sebastian:  You don't mean - you've already done it?  You got SWAPped?
Pippa:  You know I'm not the sort to waste time.  But I'm a little disappointed that you didn't even notice the new improved me.
Sebastian:  So what traits did you change?
Pippa:  Dramatic for Charismatic, Snob for Friendly, Party Animal for Family Oriented.
Sebastian:  Yeah, now that you mention it, I did notice that you weren't fighting me for access to the mirror this morning.

They hear a vehicle pull up outside but pay no attention, assuming it's someone going to the Consignment store.  Then they hear scuffling noises and a voice says:  "That's everything, Charlie!  Let's go."

They run out to the front yard to see what's going on.

Sebastian:  What on earth?
Pippa:  It's probably a delivery for the Consignment store.

Sebastian:  Look, there's a note.  [reads]  Dear Pippa and Sebastian, a dear old friend of mine is downsizing and this big table won't fit in her new home.  Of course, now that her children have left home, she really doesn't need such a big table, so she asked me if I knew someone who could use it.  I'm afraid there are only 5 chairs, but you should be able to get more if you want.  Regards, Mr Payne.
Pippa:  It's from Payne-in-the-Neck?
Sebastian:  That's a very expensive-looking table and chairs.  For a used table, it shows absolutely no wear.  It's hard to believe this table was in a house with children.
Pippa:  Look at the chair coverings!  I know that fabric - it was featured in the latest Design magazine.  It's called - what was it, now - Loika Loch Braw, by a really famous designer, Gheez.  That plaid just came out.  No way these are old chairs.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »
Awesome! That was so sweet of him!! Congrats on getting SWAPped Pippa!  ;D

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
Wow, that was nice of him. :D
What're Mr. Pane's traits?
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
What're Mr. Pane's traits?

Good question.  Mr Payne is in some ways a real man of mystery.  We don't know his first name, we don't know his traits, and where on earth does he go when he leaves Pippa and Sebastian's place? 

To be honest, I don't know/can't remember Mr Payne's traits.  He suggested I tell you that he has the Philanthropist trait.  Don't bother looking that one up in the Guide, though - you won't find it.   ;D

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
I actually had to look up philanthropist before I could reply! xP
I think Mr. Pane's actually an alien! ;D
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
Mr Payne seems to have a good heart though, finding hand-me-downs for Pippa and Sebastian.
Gregory needs a talk about earning his right to move out when he gets older. :P
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations