Author Topic: The Vasquez Dynasty: Digital Diary of a Domestic Environmentalist  (Read 34473 times)

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
Re: The Vasquez Dynasty: Digital Diary of a Domestic Environmentalist
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
Great house~! ;D
I'm starting to dislike Agnes.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Fantasic house! Great idea for the two-storey pond!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the awesome compliments and replies! I was a little on edge about showing you all the house – since it’s so unfinished - so it’s really nice to read all your gracious replies!

I’m especially happy you all like the pond so much. I spent ages working on it! It’s still a work in process; the seating areas needs work and I think I’ll be going with rock-toned stairs to make it look like they’re hewn into the rocks. Eventually the whole lot will be one continuous environment with different elements. Despite my planning I still went over budget though, hence it will take a while to finish everything. My plan was to keep 25.000 simoleans in their funds so I could easily buy Cate's buiding/property and anything fancy that turns up in the consignment store. The house's exterior and the pond were a big money sink however (foliage and trees are insanely expensive!) and I ended with a high 18kish number to spare. Not perfect – but not entirely hopeless either.

Wait a second... where's Chapter 4?

Chapter 4 starts now! Chapter 3 spanned the entire period in which my game was "frozen" because of the building/landscaping/decorating. As this is done - for now - Chapter 3 has come to its conclusion.

I love the dining room, I'm with Agnes there, that thing is classy and fabulous.  Looking at the pale rooms I was literally thinking to myself, that needs a nice bright painting to make it perfect.  Then bang in the next picture, perfection!

The dining room is also my favourite room in the house. It was the first room I decorated and it's the most finished room in the house. The only changes I have planned for it is making it a seating for 8 or 10 instead of 6 (and change the lamps). Because it was done so early in the process I didn't look at the price when buying the furniture and the paintings. When I moved to the other rooms I started to notice I wasn’t going to be able to keep budget like this, and I had to scrap most of the decoration and the nicer furniture.

I was going for a very light and earthy undertone with black accents and heavy colour in the decorations. Since I didn't have money for the decorations the rooms do look a little pale at the moment. I've been thinking of changing the colours of some furniture to a warmer tone until I can afford to finish it (e.g. the rug and couch). I was/am a little disappointed by how some of the colours turned out though. The actual colour of the wallpaper for instance is only visible in one of the screenshots. It is a very warm-toned beige in contrast to the colder toned floor, but in the shots it looks almost white. The shadow-play then makes the colours greyish in some places - giving the whole thing a rather drab look - while in the game it’s a very light and warm tone that really “brings the sun into the house”. Those are things I’m still looking at and going to change.

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
Wow, the house is amazing!
And that pond is so good! I wish I had your skill.

I liked reading the different views and opinions on the house :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the awesome compliments and replies! I was a little on edge about showing you all the house – since it’s so unfinished - so it’s really nice to read all your gracious replies!

If you feel like you need professional help, you can share the link to this update in our Building and Remodeling Showboat Thread. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions and compliments there too. I have expanded my own Dynasty house and afterwards shared there, and even further expanded it with the help of some advanced builders. Nevertheless, your house is amazing as it is.

Chapter 4 starts now! Chapter 3 spanned the entire period in which my game was "frozen" because of the building/landscaping/decorating. As this is done - for now - Chapter 3 has come to its conclusion.

Oh, I see. But you could divide it into nine beautiful chapters, thus making your story seem "bigger". That's what I do. ;D
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
     Chapter 4: Radical Changes

Entry 13
     Dear Diary,

This was my morning:

'Welcome to the first of our weekly House Deliberations. I'd like to...'

'Agnes? Sorry to interrupt you, but can I ask you a question?'
     'I don't see how you could already have a question but sure, Pauline, go right ahead. '
     'Thank you. I was wondering why all this formality? We're housemates, we can discuss
     anything we have to on the couch over breakfast. Don't you think this is a little over the
     top?'
     'No! I don't! It is important that we uphold a certain decorum. I want everything I have to
     discuss to be taken as serious as it's meant to be taken. So that excludes talking on the
     couch over breakfast as a possibility. I don't understand why you'd even propose such a
     ridiculous thing! Can I continue now?'

Wow. Grumpy certainly stepped with her wrong foot out of bed this morning!

'I guess the silence means I can. As I was saying: Welcome to the first of our weekly
     House Deliberations. I'd like to formally welcome you all. I thought it necessary to
     introduce these meetings as a way of organizing our household. The fact that we sit
     here today, together, marks an important milestone in the development of our Environment
     institute. The first stone towards our goals has been laid; because the last stone has been
     laid.'

'Certainly not mine...'
     'What did you say Hank? You were mumbling.'
     'Nothing, nothing, just musing to myself.'

You know, I almost like Hank better because Agnes dislikes him so much...

Almost.

'Please refrain from doing that when I'm talking - Thank you. We've made the first
     significant step towards reaching our goals by the fact that we can sit here today in this
     very room. Our house is finished, and our interior is close to being finished as well.'

Yea right!

'Well I know you don't think so Caitlin.'

I said that out loud?

'But quite frankly, your feelings regarding this issue are irrelevant. It was my money that
     we spent, we have run out of it, so we are done. That fact is also the main item on our agenda
     today.'

'Now we even have an agenda?'
     'Ine, hon, please don't make this take any longer.'
     'Sorry love, you're right. The sooner we develop "a certain decorum" the sooner I can
     crawl up on the couch with you holding me in your muscled arms.'

'Come on guys! Get a room!'
     'Sorry Cate.'

What she sees in him is still beyond me. Body and brain of a gorilla and a bonobo would
     be proud of his appetite...

'As I was saying...'

She's getting more stoic by the minute!

'...the main point on our agenda today is how our new house completely depleted our
     funds. We're not yet at the point where we have to start worrying about where we'll sleep
     tonight, but something has to happen fast if we wish to seriously pursue our goals. I take
     it everyone still wants that?'

'Yes Agnes, I do. How could you even ask that?!'

I let her move in. I let them all move in. And I hate it. I'm not a masochist; I suffer
     through for a reason!

'Just checking... '

Yea right. I'm on to you Miss Up-To-No-Good.

'Ok. So we wish to push forward with our Environment institute. This means we need
     money. Lots of money. That will require a radical change in the way we currently all live.'
     'I think we can save money by growing our own produce.'
     'Good thinking Caitlin, but I'm afraid that's not going to be enough. We don't just have to
     save money, we have to make money come in as well.'

'Well that's easily taken care of. We just go round town, ring the doorbells, and collect it!
     That's how Catie did it before she moved here, isn't it?'
     'Please don't call me Catie!'
     'Hank, I'm not sure if you attended the same "Environment Meeting" as I did, but we
     are...
all the people that remotely care about the environment.'

Hah! She doesn't think Hank's motives are pure either.

'So you can say goodbye to your donations. No, Hank, we need to get jobs.'

WHAT?!

'All of us. We need to get jobs.'
     'WHAT?!'
     'Yea; What?! Hank and I aren't happy about that either. We had jobs, we quit them to put
     time into our institute, and now you're saying we shouldn't have quit them?'
     'That would have been smarter, yes, you should always discuss those important things
     with me first.'

She really thinks she runs this place. I do not need to get a job. I have a job; saving the
     world, that's my job!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Aaaaaand again the environment goes KO versus materialism.

'Well I think you're being very unreasonable Agnes.'
     'Look Pauline, here it is: we are out of money. At this point everyone's opinions and
     should'ves, could'ves, would'ves concerning the construction of our house are irrelevant.
     It's irreversible and therefore a moot point.'

And whose fault is that?!

I get it. The whole no money thing. I really do. But it's a mess she created, so she has to
     fix it and not put it all on us! But of course that's what's happening! She shot holes in her
     own boat, but oops; we were still on it too! Now she can't patch the holes up before we'll
     sink and is counting on us to help out so we don't all drown. She's a leech!

'The situation as it currently stands is simple: we are out of money. So we need jobs. I
     don't think it's unreasonable of me to ask that of everyone?'
     'Well... if you put it like that.
     'I'm glad you're coming to reason Pauline. I've already created a list of who is to apply for
     what job. That way our...'

'We don't even get to choose our own jobs?!'
     'No Caitlin. You don't. I've arranged it perfectly. We will earn as well as save the most
     money if we all stick to these jobs. It will be the most effective way to earn money, that
     way we can start our institute before we're all wrinkled and grey!'

Too late for her then!

'Pauline, I want you to join the culinary career.'
     'No! NO WAY! I was going to make it as a rock star; inspire people with my music! I am
     not going to spend my days behind a counter. Forget it.'
     'You could always pursue your rock career at a later point Pauline, right now we need the
     money.'
     'I don't care. I am not becoming a cook. Find me something else. Something at least
     remotely artist-y.'

'Well... I suppose you could sculpt. I was going to do that after my paintings, but I guess I
     could always write.'
     'Well I rather pursue my rock career, but sculpting would be OK. For now.'

Painting? Sculpting? Writing? Exactly how's that going to help us save as well as earn
     money?!

'Those aren't the jobs I was thinking of when you said "will win the category Earns &
     Saves".'
     'Well I didn't think you would Caitlin - you don't look further than your nose is long.'

Ain't the pot calling the kettle black now.

'Those are all mediums to convey messages, to inspire people, that is what we'll need to
     get our institute started. This way we won't have to pay for a professional artist to do it
     for us. I thought you of all people would see the merit of this.'

Ok, she got me there. That's actually pretty clever. Especially since it means she will keep
     her face out of the attention. We'd never get anything done if our students had to look past
     her nose.

'I do see the merit. So, what does your list say about my career?'
     'You will garden: grow produce for our own use and sell the excess.'

That's not so bad. I'll just plant a few seeds, tend to them 10 minutes every day and
     spend the rest of the time developing our Environment initiative.

'Fine.'
     'Fine.'
     'Fine!'

'That just leaves Hank.'
     'I'd like for you to take up fishing and...'
     'I'm not getting a job.'
     'You have to; we all have to.'
     'Nope. Not me. And you can't make me!'
     'You're being very selfish Hank.'
     'If he doesn't want to get a job Agnes, you can't make him.'
     'You're tolerating this utter lack of consideration Pauline?'
     'I'm just saying Hank is free to make his own choices.'

'...'

'Then he can be our maid.'

She really is devious.

'What?'
     'If he doesn't want a job, he will contribute in another way. You'll be in charge of keeping
     the house clean Hank.'
     'What does that mean? Stuff like doing the laundry?'
     'Yes. Stuff like doing the laundry yes. Can you handle that?'
     'Sure, yea. And the rest of the time I'm free?'
     'Absolutely.'
     'Coolio.'

He'll go mad within a day doing a woman's work!  You gotta hand it to her, that was well
     played. At least our distaste for Hank is something we have in common.

'Well, that's settled then. That concludes our meeting's agenda for today. I hope to see
     you all here next week. For now I'd like to go to City Hall together to employ ourselves.'
     'Checking up on us?'
     'I just like to be sure...'

Walking, walking, walking, walking.

Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop, hop.

Running, running, running, running, running, running.

Now let's stop. Up and down.

You know, one of these days I'm not going to comment in my head and she'll be running
     for the hills. For now though, I'll try to lay low, see if I can figure out what she's up to. I
     need all the leverage I can get.

Author's Note: Sorry for the slow update; I've been really busy and still will be until the end of next week. There'll be a few small updates coming to you until then, events which I have already played. After that I should have a little more time to play the game and seriously progress the story.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
Wow, Agnes is bossy. -.-''
Formerly Simstar3

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
his is the first dynasty I think that Agnes is evil(ish) and makes everyone angry!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Juxtaposition

• Immortal
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
Agnes reminds me of a drill marshal, she may be the person you curse at while they're conditioning you for the future, but they're also the person who makes sure you don't die on a 28 mile forced march LOL

Great update, don't worry about taking your time, people will still be around when your schedule smoothes out a bit.
You can call me Juxt

De D'Onlyn Dynasty
where the party never ends.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2011, 04:29:54 AM »
That was awesome!  :D
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2011, 04:35:33 AM »
Aggie is still my fav, but I can't ignore the fact that this Dynasty is absolutely awesome! :D Well done, Phyre.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
Thank you everyone for your ever awesome comments!

I know the story is progressing kinda slow - especially compared to the other great dynasties out there. I'm still trying to find a balance between a good pace and not having to compromise on telling the story.

Wow, Agnes is bossy. -.-''

This is the first dynasty I think that Agnes is evil(ish) and makes everyone angry!

Agnes reminds me of a drill marshal, she may be the person you curse at while they're conditioning you for the future, but they're also the person who makes sure you don't die on a 28 mile forced march LOL

It grabbed my attention as well that Agnes is usually very nice and supportive in most dynasties.

Not in mine!

I hope all people in the Agnes-camp won't like her (or me!) any less because of this :P

She certainly is bossy and indeed does bare an uncanny resemblance to a drill marshal now you brought it to my attention Juxt! But she's not just doing that. She has a reason for it. A reason important enough to give her the feeling she has a carte blanche to see it through successfully. No one or nothing will be spared; and Cate is very much in the way.

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Chapter 5: Cinderella

Entry 2
     Every time I find a minute,

that's the time that they begin it;
     Cinderelly, Cinderelly,

HAAAAAANK!

Cinderelly, Cinderelly,
     night and day it's Cinderelly.

Make the fire, fix the breakfast,
     wash the dishes, do the mopping.

And the sweeping and the dusting.
     They always keep me hopping.

I go around in circles,
     till I'm very, very dizzy.
     Still they holler;

keep a-busy Cinderelly!

But NO - MORE!

I asked myself; what would Superman do?! He'd say: "Nobody tears my city apart and
     gets away with it."
So from now on they can do their own housework!

I'm getting out of here!

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »
Awesome update!

Now i'm going to drive people insane humming that tune all day.  Also awesome  ;)
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
Guuuuuh...
Stupid Hank.
Formerly Simstar3