Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 240798 times)

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
I can't hide the stove. I start panicking, thinking I sold it. And fencing off the area (which is what I wound up doing) doesn't work. I'm mildly neurotic that way. (But, I can deal with it, this Dynasty is almost complete, and my next one won't have cooking as a Supermax.)

Treadmill does count as jogging. In order to complete the Athletic skill challenge, my Immortal spent 21 days in China with a treadmill and a weight machine, and a moodlet manager (and I just ran the game on speed level 3, as it wasn't that exciting).

You could also do what someone suggested in a Dynasty that I read, make a little room and lock it so only your cooking sim can enter.

That's good, I was so not looking forward to having my sim run around outside, having to make them jog everywhere manually.

Why didn't you take another immortal and have them search for treasure while the other maxed the athletics?

Offline amyrose

• Immortal
  • Jorja Phoenix
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
This is a great thread, it has loads of helpful tips and I'm very grateful to everybody has contributed so far. Although I do not have my first  immortal (although I'm well on the way), my tip is to plan, plan and then plan some more. Before I started my dynasty, I spent ages planning out everything - from the gen one spouse to careers and traits. Figuring out when the non-mortals are likely to die when has helped me to plan who is going to paint which portrait, plant what plant, etc...

The second piece of advice I have is to keep clear records of everything from traits to skills to shared versus unique LTRs. It is so easy to make a silly mistake and fail the dynasty. I nearly forgot to get gen twos toddler portrait, and only remembered on the day before her birthday ::)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »
Back everything up!
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 07:10:12 AM »
Definitely! I've gotten into the habit of saving every game day, as much as possible. In a game this long and intense, you absolutely will have some insurmountable bugs creep up... plus, I think frequent "save as" reduces the chance of getting Error 12 when you save.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 07:11:55 AM »
Don't leave any uneaten plates of ambrosia lying around.A ghost or a mortal could potentially eat it and ruin everything. Also remember to hit the pause button if you have to leave the computer at any point. When playing my first dynasty I had to jump up and deal with a diapper accident(my sons not my own  ;D) I forgot to press pause and a mortal ate ambrosia. Luckily for me Metro understood my plight and let me go back to an earlier save.

I always use save as as opposed to just save. My game tends to freeze during makeovers so I always save before a makeover just incase.This is also one of the reasons why I don't always give mortals makeovers unless I reallyhave to.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
One thing I would recommend, (though this may have already been said) is to have the first heir born later in the game. That way, you can get skills and collecting done without having to worry about stinky diapers. Since you don't need to have an heir to eat ambrosia, you can wait a while to breed. In my Dynasty, my 2nd Generation was born only after the spouse had made un-melting ice sculptures, so that I could sculpt everybody in the Dynasty.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
I wouldn't panic about immortals accidentally maxing Cooking from occasionally cooking a meal instead of eating leftovers - I just finished supermaxing the skill for my current heir, mostly through cooking meals rather than studying the skill books. I think he hit level 10 in the skill somewhere around 60 meals, and I'd be astonished if any sim autonomously cooked that much. Charisma, though - if you leave it as a supermax (which I really, really wouldn't recommend), nobody else can ever get so much as a single point in it, because every social interaction they ever do, down to snuggling the nooboos, will increase the skill.

If you plan to have Handiness as a supermax, do it early, so that Handy Sim is there to make repairs and upgrade stuff...

One more thought: At the beginning of the game, check the consignment store frequently. Buying uncut gems worth more than about 40 simoleons and unsmelted metals worth more than about 60 simoleons will bring in some cash, and cameras will turn up from time to time. Even a photograph taken by someone with no skill using the cheapest camera can be hung on the wall for your founder's YA photo, and then you've got the whole game to let it appreciate.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »
@Cathyknits, I used the tip last night about checking the consignment store to great effect.  I bought and then resold a load of books and gems and made a tidy profit.  I guess it's the Sims version of selling all your old rubbish on Ebay!
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline eisande

• Proud Player
  • Townie
  • Reader, Writer, Gamer
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Don't have triplets. :P

Anyway, there's a lot of good advice in this thread that will come in handy, I'm very appreciative. (Is there a thread like this for the Townie DecaDynasty Challenge?) Part-time professions are great if you need cash but also need a Sim to focus on sculpting or painting. You can sell the products of their creativity and get a consistent income!

With the new "Ask to Forsake Powers" interaction, vampires aren't so much of an issue either. :)
- Eisande

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
Don't have triplets. :P

Anyway, there's a lot of good advice in this thread that will come in handy, I'm very appreciative. (Is there a thread like this for the Townie DecaDynasty Challenge?) Part-time professions are great if you need cash but also need a Sim to focus on sculpting or painting. You can sell the products of their creativity and get a consistent income!

With the new "Ask to Forsake Powers" interaction, vampires aren't so much of an issue either. :)

This is only true if you can get a vampire to actually do it without being under your control.   So far I've only been able to get it done while they were controlled by me.  All the others took offense and there was a break up.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline ladyaya

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
This is only true if you can get a vampire to actually do it without being under your control.   So far I've only been able to get it done while they were controlled by me.  All the others took offense and there was a break up.

Can't you toss a cure elixer at them to cure them of their supernaturalness?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
Can't you toss a cure elixer at them to cure them of their supernaturalness?

This is true because we didn't ban life state changing elixirs in the immortal dynasty.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
Part-time professions are great if you need cash but also need a Sim to focus on sculpting or painting. You can sell the products of their creativity and get a consistent income!

I wouldn't recommend a part-time job.  The money earned is very minimal and there's really no point to it.  It doesn't count as a career for the heir's requirements.  If you want to make money selling things your Sim makes, go ahead and just put her in that self-employed career. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline ladyaya

• Watcher
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »
This is true because we didn't ban life state changing elixirs in the immortal dynasty.

Exactly, and you don't have the hassle of trying to get them to give up their supernatural life state.

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »
I wouldn't recommend a part-time job.  The money earned is very minimal and there's really no point to it.  It doesn't count as a career for the heir's requirements.  If you want to make money selling things your Sim makes, go ahead and just put her in that self-employed career. 

I completely agree. Why work in a part time job if you can earn more money and gain skills in a self employment career. Also, if you don't like controlling multiple sims at once, you can get them spending heaps of time painting, fishing etc. and not have to worry about them.