Author Topic: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread  (Read 142392 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »
I keep a Blog on my Legacy but I only just got into adding pictures to it.  :)

About this post I made earlier:
You are allowed to move non-related sims in but they don't count in scoring.

Spouses count in scoring but random 'Friends' who moved in so you get extra money don't count for scoring.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pielord

• Townie
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
Oh flip, I'll be using the spouse graveyard advice sooner than I'd thought...she just caught alight after burning waffles. Oops.
I am Nobody. And Nobody is Perfect. Therefore, I am Perfect. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
Is that before or after a baby? If it's before just move on, after then good luck being a single parent of the second generation of a Legacy Challenge Game!  ;D

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
The random traits are such a pain! My firstborn 2nd gen. son has never-nude and hates the outdoors. I dunno why I worked so hard to keep his grades and skills up!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »
My parents will be glad of that!  :D They said they used to live by a elderly nudist gardener!  ;D For my first legacy ever I haven't followed the rules but I will next time! So I got to chose traits which seems nicer but not as chaotic and fun maybe?

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
This is just my personal opinion, but if Pinstar doesn't care enough to update the rules when the EPs come out, then we should not feel bad for making judgement calls.  I don't see why you couldn't use Martial Arts for Tiberium.

Also, the moodlet manager has always been allowed in the legacy.  If you earned the points for it, you should be allowed to have it.

I completely agree, Pam.  Back in Sims 2 Pinstar would update his rule-set with each new expansion, but I think he just doesn't have the time or motivation to do it anymore.

I use all things from the expansions in my Legacy without restraint.  I see no reason not to.

And honestly, I think that photographs and sculptures of your sims instead of paintings should be fine too, although I realize it isn't part of the rules.  I think that if Pinstar were still around he'd have ok'd it a long time ago.  I'm thinking that the photos would have to be the large portrait type, not just the starting portrait that you can do with zero skill level, in order to fit with the spirit of the challenge.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2010, 02:22:13 AM »
Pam has said she made a graveyard for her legacy family, but I'm running into some questions about that for anyone who has dealt with this. What seemed simple on the face of it isn't as simple as I thought. I should mention that I have no experience with sims' death and ghosts. I'm guessing you want them off your lot so they're not underfoot all the time. When you make your graveyard, can it be adjacent to your legacy lot, or does it need to be separated from it? How do you keep other sims from using it for their families? Now that we have Ambitions, I'm not sure how to do this. I can place a new lot, but I have to designate it as community/graveyard or residential. How big does it need to be? Urns are fine with me. I thought I might use the fairy-themed items as a change from the usual gothic stuff.

I'm also finding it difficult to paint from the still-life ability. The only time a sim will stay put long enough to frame him is by plunking him into a chair watching tv. Are there other ways that make it easier?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheCub

• Townie
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
I'm also finding it difficult to paint from the still-life ability. The only time a sim will stay put long enough to frame him is by plunking him into a chair watching tv. Are there other ways that make it easier?

Try turning off free will temporarily. That may get him to stand still.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2010, 03:57:25 AM »
For my private cemetary, I use existing lots.  For my Legacy family, I used the lot across the street in Sunset Valley that has the pond and bridge.  I go into Edit Town and decorate it the way I want and designate it as a cemetary.  Then when there's a death, I just place the tombstone where I want it to be.  It won't be an urn because they only appear when the grave is indoors.  As soon as you put it someplace outdoors, it turns into a tombstone.  The size of it depends on whether the LTW was achieved and how many happiness points they earned in life.  The rest of the town doesn't use the private cemetary at all.  Everyone else goes to the mausoleum in the regular cemetary like they always have.  Living townies do come to visit a private cemetary, though.  They hang out at the fountain or sit on a bench and read a book.

One thing to note: Be sure to get all of your decorating done before you place any graves because if you go into Edit Town to change it afterward, the graves will all bounce back into your Family Inventory and you'll have to place them again.

For the still life portrait, get the camera up close and angled toward the easel before you make the selection to paint.  Then when your Sim comes to the easel, he'll be in camera range and you can just use "C" to capture it.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »
Thanks for the fantastic help!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2010, 04:45:15 AM »
My pleasure.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
What am I supposed to do with all these people in my sims house, i've never gotten that far into legacy?  :D

My founders grown daughter has a romantic interest but there's like seven people already crammed into the house.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
Well you can kick them out, get them romantic interests then move them out, get them jobs, make them earn money. So basically anything you want with the spares.  :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »
If you're keeping track of the points, remember that when they leave the house, they won't be able to earn any more points.  Depending on how much money you have, you can buy a house for them or just kick them out and they'll take possession of an empty house without costing you anything.  A good way to get rid of spares is through marriage.  If the romantic interest is a Sim who lives there in town, you should get the option to move into that house after the wedding.  But if it's a maid or other NPC, it won't work because they don't have houses of their own.  I had a full house many times and sometimes just waited on death to take the oldest ones.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
I had a difficult enough time just finding someone for my heir to marry.  :D

Thankfully only two people in the house actually go to a job...but one of those is a firefighter.

My founder is really old so i'm hoping she'll find her way into the grave soon. She's gotten senile and started flirting with anyone that comes in the house if I don't keep track of her. I have no clue what triggered that because she has no traits for flirty, and she only started doing it when she hit elder.