Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1076158 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #675 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »

Unfortunately I don't think the same items in my house will transfer through to another person's game unless they own them, right?

No they won't.  In fact, if she were to install that exact house onto her machine, I believe it would cause issues with her game when she tried to play it due to missing objects.

And I would never have guessed that you could even remove the chimneys!  My god, I can't tell you how many houses that I've built that I simply did without fireplaces in them for no other reason than I couldn't find a place for the chimney.

Thanks for the answers!  You've opened up dozens of new building possibilities that would never have occurred to me.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
@danefaith, i love the building, when I first saw it, I thought upscale vampire lounge.  The cube could be where all the vampire business goes down.  I have not played with vampires to much so I don't know in the game if they are affected by windows like when they are outside.  Some creative lighting may help the fact there are no windows.
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
No they won't.  In fact, if she were to install that exact house onto her machine, I believe it would cause issues with her game when she tried to play it due to missing objects.

I remember now.  I just downloaded a house with items from an expansion I don't have yet and it looks like this:

Not sure if the print is too tiny but it says "This item has dependencies on EP or SP content that seems to be missing.  The missing EP or SP content will be replaced with proxies."   :D  I'm laughing because I remember when I downloaded a townhouse that had a laundry room from Ambitions it replaced the washer and dryer with a stove!  The lot didn't cause any issues with my game play though, it just replaces items you don't have with what you do have however funny or weird it may look.

And I would never have guessed that you could even remove the chimneys!  My god, I can't tell you how many houses that I've built that I simply did without fireplaces in them for no other reason than I couldn't find a place for the chimney.

Thanks for the answers!  You've opened up dozens of new building possibilities that would never have occurred to me.

Glad to help but I can't claim the chimney idea.  Someone used the top of the chimney to place on the ground for a fog effect before Ambtions came out.  When I saw that I was like you, now I don't have to deal with that red brick!  I'm also learning how to use "alt" as well when it comes to moving or placing items.  Again it doesn't effect the function of the item.  My Sims can still use the stereo or sit in the chair after I've moved it.  I love this game!

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #678 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
The upper portion of the cube is a frieze.  Friezes are placed by inputting the "placefriezes on" code and then using the foundation tool.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #679 on: February 17, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
The upper portion of the cube is a frieze.  Friezes are placed by inputting the "placefriezes on" code and then using the foundation tool.

Do you have to use that terrain false code at all or just the friezes one?  Thanks!

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #680 on: February 17, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
Nope, just input placefriezes on and the founation tool will lay down a layer of frieze.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline niuri_cigarete

• Llama Wrangler
  • Trust me, I'm a meteorologist.
« Reply #681 on: February 17, 2011, 03:49:49 PM »
I thought I'd share my little tight house I have built for the Alphabeto family:
(Here's a link to a whole album of screenshots)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #682 on: February 17, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Filly, anyone who had deluded themselves into thinking they could build awesome houses has now met the reality of their delusion when they see your house.  It is, by and far, the most fabulous modern house I have ever seen.  First of all it holds a place in my heart because of how light and bright it is and the variety of colors and textures which never clash, always blend and give an open, airy yet totally comfortable feel to the house.  I want to live in this house.  The way you have placed items just gives a feel and a flow to this building that makes it a home, as opposed to just a fabulous house.  I love it.  Like you, I own most of the items the store offers and several freebies from T-Mobile and others.  However, I have never used them as creatively and artistically as you have.  I have that tub but have always passed it up and used one that seemed more utilitarian.  BIIIIIGGGG mistake on my part!  You obviously spent a tremendous amount of time building this home.  I love SimEve's houses as well!  I have her tropical one with the big shark tank in it.  Gorgeous.  Oh, another really great builder who uses no CC whatsoever is Susie77.  (I think that is her name).  She is Italian and takes much of her inspiration from where she lives so everything has this awesome sun drenched, Tuscany look to it.  She uses a simple palette in her decor but it never looks plain or boring because of the way she places items.  It makes you want to move to Italy!  I have her Casa Hydrangea and Villa Loren and just go look at them from time to time to drool over them.  I'm really hoping you will put this gorgeous home of yours in the Swap Shop.  Awesome.

Danefaith:  You continue to amaze me with your architectural artistry.  I would never think of putting a cube on the front of a house just for effect.  As for the windows under it, they make me uncomfortable as well.  Feel sort of off balance somehow.  I know you will sort it out and it will be perfection. As to the cube itself, other than looking cool, I keep asking myself, why?  What is the purpose and is this space usable?  If it is built entirely of friezes how can a Sim stand up in it or use it?  Or did I misunderstand?  As for windows in it, not in the front of it for sure.  It would ruin the effect.  I so wish we had glass floor panes like in Sims2.  Remember building greenhouses?  How awesome would it be to have a glass top to the cube?  Would a tall, thin window on the side harm the effect of the cube?  Might not be able to place it properly because of the friezes.

Niuri that house is adorable!  It feels so homey, cozy and comfortable.  Can you share some shots of the interior?  It reminds me of the house I grew up in.   I love the fencing around the front porch.  A little different from the usual wood spindle ones and a great choice.  I would not have thought of it.  The pillars in the front; are they recolors or did you use a frieze?  They are perfect for the house but I don't recognize them.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline niuri_cigarete

• Llama Wrangler
  • Trust me, I'm a meteorologist.
« Reply #683 on: February 17, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Niuri that house is adorable!  It feels so homey, cozy and comfortable.  Can you share some shots of the interior?  It reminds me of the house I grew up in.   I love the fencing around the front porch.  A little different from the usual wood spindle ones and a great choice.  I would not have thought of it.  The pillars in the front; are they recolors or did you use a frieze?  They are perfect for the house but I don't recognize them.

I've uploaded the interior screenshots into my photobucket account, there's a link above the picture. And the pillars are a recolor, the only cheat I use is moveobjects since some of the paintings or other decor can't be placed near doors and etc. I really like how the exterior came out too, not the interior though. I had to pack up lots of stuff in it and it came out really tight. I like to have spacious houses mostly :)

EDIT: by the way, some of the stuff is till missing (like the chair next to the desk). I don't use money cheats so I've ran out of cash :D

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #684 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Well, a little misleading when I say built of friezes, its one level of frieze, followed by a wall and then two more levels of frieze.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #685 on: February 17, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
pallyndrone - very humbling, thank you!  This is actually the first house that I've ever shared with anyone.  You should have seen my houses before this, most were boxes (I still think this counts as one) and everything was the same color.  Boring.  I spent hours and hours Googling images of Sims houses or real life architecture to get some ideas.  I also checked out a lot of the popular blogs and downloaded some houses for research.  I have a lot more ideas, just can't do them yet until I install some more expansion packs down the road, as I am making my legacy family place through all the lifetime wishes before I'll install the next one.  As for the color and styles, I decided that each room had to be a different color and the furniture had to be a different material from each other.  I picked a focus piece (not sure if correct term?) and built a room around it.  A lot of times the inspiration came from a painting or a pattern.  Pam's hex code guide has been a savior!  I'm not a fast builder, I spend hours sometimes just staring at my screen just trying to figure out where to place the walls.  You'd be surprised how long this house actually took to build, one or two hours a day for a couple weeks.

I know what you mean, I'm always looking for inspiration. The other week we drove up to Perth (state capital) to enrol in Uni and I spent most of the driving time frantically sketching buildings in my notebook. My parents think I'm nuts, they asked if I wanted to switch my course to architecture instead of science :D. It's amazing how much The Sims has opened my eyes to this sort of thing. In particular, this building had me squealing in glee:

The Old Swan Brewery, founded in 1837. Isn't it gorgeous?

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #686 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Joria - thank you for the kind words!  That means a lot coming from you as I have seen your houses on here.  I could use some landscaping tips.  I gave up on the outside of mine.  I did managed to save the lot to my library without the family and emailed it to Carl for the Swap Shop.  I'm hoping the paintings go with it as some of the rooms would seem empty without them.  I'm jealous of you being able to play the tropical house with the shark tank, I haven't installed Ambitions yet because I'm still playing through World Adventures.  I can't wait to try and build my own shark tank!  Is Susie77 a member here or the official forum?  I could always use more inspiration!

Ausette - I never sketched any buildings but I have taken some photos with my cell phone.  My hubby thinks I'm crazy too!  I do recognize that building, in Austrailia right?  I could get lost in there for a week.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #687 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
I could use some landscaping tips.

Here is a great help section with landscaping, in case you have not seen it yet.  I learned many things from it.  Have fun with it.
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #688 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:49 AM »

Made minor color changes, and gutted out the first floor on underneath the cube for the carport.

Have an interesting plan for the cube.  The carport has an elevator to the second floor, and with such ammenities (perfect for ushering groceries), I'm making the second floor the kitchen, and the cube...

I designed into a moody, modern goth dining room.  ;D

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »
@ Filly:  Well, could I have been more wrong or what?!  Her name is not Susie but Susanna827 and she is on the official forum.  I wish she was on ours.  She thinks her English is bad but I guarantee my Italian is worse.  The most I can say is ciao! lol  Do look her up because the houses are amazing.  She has one I can't play called La Cascada and it is terrific but the Villa Loren takes my breath away.  The brewery is totally awesome!  I hope you can do a build with it.  Really cool looking.

@ Danefaith:  Well, I knew you would do it!  I knew you would figure out just what to do with the cube and it's awesome.  I'm not much into dark and moody but you have somehow made it work.  What a great idea for having the kitchen etc. accessible from the garage via elevator.  I'm afraid I'm going to lose a few of the houses I've built because I am so completely annoyed at all the vampires that I really am leaning toward removing Late Night, so that means no elevators for me.  With the advent of Outdoor Life the only thing I like about LN now is the elevators.

@ niuri:  I saw the photos!  I think the interior is very nice.  Yes, it is a little tight but not terribly so.  You don't get a closed in feeling or a cluttered feeling from it which you can easily do in a small house.  I don't usually use money cheats either so I totally understand running out of cash!  Way too easy to do and way too hard to get more back at first.  I swear I'm going to do a legacy where I DO use some cheats just so I can build the way I want to! lol
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

anything