Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1076145 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »
@LoveEvil:

Very nice job on that cottage.  That whimsical set looks good when it's matched and colored like that.  It makes me want to buy the set.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #751 on: March 17, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
I've been wanting to create an inventor modeled after a particular anime character for some time now.  But I've been having difficulty trying to figure out how to recreate some of the visuals from the house, because they just didn't translate over well into the sims.  But after some thought and a bit of work, I finally did it.

This is one of the only pictures I had to work with:

This is the home of Winry and Pinako Rockbell, also known as Rockbell Automail, from the animated series:  "Full Metal Alchemist."  It takes place in a country very similar to early 1900's Europe in a world governed by Alchemy as a physical science, as opposed to physics in ours.  Automail is a mechanical prosthetic limb replacement that is grafted into a person's remaining nerves, allowing the user to regain full usage of their body after an amputation (except they have no sense of touch with it).

The first thing I noticed is that the second floor isn't exactly a floor at all.  It's more of an attic, and since there were actually bedrooms up there, an attic space would be rather difficult to work with.  Likewise, there were some serious size continuity errors between the outside and the inside.  The characters in question were seen in their bedrooms, eating at the dinner table, and working in a somewhat spacious workshop...but with such a small house, I couldn't imagine that there would be enough room inside of it for all those amenities (this is not to even mention bathrooms, and asside from an outdoor shower faucet, you never actually saw one).  Likewise, you never see enough of the interior (as the characters living in the house are not the main characters) to get any sort of an idea of the layout.

So, it required some rethinking and artistic license with the floor plan to put it into form in the Sims 3:

Since you never actually see with any real certainty what's inside the brick add-on section of the house, I assume it's supposed to be the workshop area.  Since there wasn't enough room for what I wanted to do with it, I took some more artistic license:

I'm likewise going to stick with a washer/clothes line set up to try and maintain as much of the low tech feel as possible.  And the stairs lead to the actual workshop:

I used several Fast Lane Stuff items to give it the "gear head" feel that the Rockbell workshop had, plus I added a couple of extras:

A simbot recharging station (an idea stolen completely and shamelessly from Ausette...thanks again by the way lol)...

And an emergency shower stall for quick posterior extinguishing after an inventing explosion.

The living part of the house still needs some work.  I've got to find some reference materials for wall and floor coverings.  I also need to fiddle with the color of the siding a bit to get a lighter yellow.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #752 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »
danefaith - getting my popcorn and sitting back to watch what happens.  :)

Hosfac - I tried to build a house from a blueprint and gave up shortly.  Can't imagine the work that went into that house from just an exterior shot.  Have you tried using the hex code link that Pam posted to find that perfect yellow?

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #753 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
My original plan was to just eye it up, but only because I forgot abut that thread lol.  Thanks for reminding me about it!

I had to do a bit of rework on the automatic sim extinguisher.  After testing it for the screenshot, it made a puddle in the back that Winry and Pinako couldn't get to, and as a result they became utterly obsessed with mopping it up.  No matter what I sent them to do, that puddle became #1 priority again the moment they were finished.  So I had to add a way to deactivate it so they could get to any puddles that were made, and then reactivate it after the clean up.

I added two holes in the walls, and set them up as hidden switches.  The one on the left makes the steam trap go dormant and hidden, allowing access to any puddles for easy clean up and eliminates the need for feet stomping on their behalf.  The hole on the right will rearm the steam trap, making it ready for use again.

For effect, I'd like to tie the color of the light above the trap to the state of the trap (green for active, and red for inactive), but I'm not completely sure how to do it.  If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it if you could pm me to explain it to me.  ;)

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #754 on: March 18, 2011, 01:04:44 AM »
Shift click the light and select, "add the ability to add triggers and activated behaviors."

Shift click the left trigger and select, "link triggers --> hidden switch."  Then, shift click the light and select, "link to activated behavior ---> light: set color red."

Now, do the same with the right trigger, "link triggers --> hidden switch."  Shift click light, "link to activated behavior ---> light: set color green."

And voila, the power state will be reflected by its color.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #755 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »
So really, lights are no different than the traps then?  Wow, this is easier than I thought lol.

LoveEvil

« Reply #756 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Ausette, thank you. I understand where you are coming from with the doors and windows. I wanted to use all the items from that set when I built this so I was kinda stuck on having to use those windows, to be honest I don't mind them so much. I am not a fan of the door though but as it had the small glass panes in it, it was the best match for the windows. lol.

Pam, thank you. I only realized the other day myself that the single bed I used could be completely recoloured. Up until then I thought we were stuck with it having that square pattern on scroll frame of it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #757 on: March 18, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
LoveEvil,  first, has anyone welcomed you to the forum?  Welcome! 

I adore the cottage!  I have completely remodeled the nectar making shack in the abandoned nectary to be a little girl's dreamhouse, all with that wonderful set.  I did have to use a few extras, like curtains, from other things, but for the most part I used all of the two sets items.  I just wish there were more!  I left my things in shades of yellow since that is her favorite color, but your use of a deep red/burgundy and white is perfect!  The garden area is adorable and totally fits in with the scheme of the cottage.  I LOVE the windows and that tall table with the lamp on it.  Is that lamp a Flora's Funky lamp or part of the set?  I admit I haven't looked for that except for the teapot lights.  I used the queen's bathroom stuff in my bathroom but the more modern stuff you used fits in just right as well.   Now I have to try and do another but this time with recolors and more than just one, huge room.  Great job. 

danefaith, I agree with the shades of grey needing tweaking and a post under the frieze but it's looking to be another masterpiece.  Can't wait to see what you do with it.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Shenice93

« Reply #758 on: March 18, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
@Hosfac: I love Full Metal Alchemist! I'm so excited to see the finished product when your done. Will you be uploading it to the swap shop? If so I would love to download it! :D

It's been a while since I shared any houses on here. Well anyway my latest WIP is now complete.

Here's the front. I didn't change much. Changed the doors and the coloring of the railings and did a little bit of landscaping. I must say I am getting better with landscaping considering before I used to just place a tree and call it a day.  ;D I feel proud of myself.

The back view. I changed a lot back here. The red brick is no more and changed the hideous stone flooring underneath the hot tub. Look more landscaping. The tree is blocking the firepit/seating area I spent close to 30 minutes arranging.

First floor layout. The laundry area took me forever! I'm not even sure why though.

Second floor took even longer than the first. Curse me and my darn eye for detail.

Dining (somewhat) and office. I arranged and rearranged that office like five times before coming up with that.

I absolutely love this little hidden library. It was a last minute design. I realized I had this blank space with nothing in it, so I figured "Why not?"

The master bedroom! I would seriously sleep in there. Actually I would sleep anywhere in this house, even the floor.

A nursery! This was going to be the original laundry room, but I changed it. I really love the giraffe painting. Giraffe's are so cute! :D

This is my favorite room. I admittedly have an obsession with the color teal as this house is practically varying tints and shades of that one color with a few exceptions. This dressing room is not one of them.

The spare bedroom. I love the pattern on the couch. I had it saved in my favorites, but I don't remember where I used it last. So now I'm on a hunt to find it.

Here's the swap shop link:
http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,3865.0.html

Hope you enjoy! :D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #759 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »

I added two holes in the walls, and set them up as hidden switches.  The one on the left makes the steam trap go dormant and hidden, allowing access to any puddles for easy clean up and eliminates the need for feet stomping on their behalf.  The hole on the right will rearm the steam trap, making it ready for use again.

@Anyone who knows, that pattern (on the Simbot Recharging Station), is it a custom one, or an in-game one?

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #760 on: March 18, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
Quote from: Seabody
@Anyone who knows, that pattern (on the Simbot Recharging Station), is it a custom one, or an in-game one?

Look in the geometric category.  You'll find a pattern about half ways down that looks like a white and red diagonal.  Simply recolor it into the desired motif.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #761 on: March 18, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »
That's exactly the one I used.  Look for a "Flat Wall" or a "Simple Flooring" to apply it to as both of those only have one section to recolor and don't have their own texture that will be super-imposed on it.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #762 on: March 18, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
I actually use pool walls myself.  If you apply the same texture to both channels, the margin between them is seamless.  Looks identical to flat walls, only 5 simoleons cheaper per unit, which can really add up in large houses.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #763 on: March 18, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
I would have never thought of that lol.  That's why I love this place...you folks are wonderful!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #764 on: March 19, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »
I've built my first "house"! By house, I mean, house that nobody shall live in, in a save I intend to not play... if that makes sense.

The link to the gallery is here

Please give me feedback; I'm not a very good builder.