Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1065987 times)

Offline DeNile

• Occult
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #825 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
The landscaping around the tree looks fantastic, plus the shutters and new windows were a good call!  But I would start calling the front yard "done" at some point soon, before it becomes a little too busy ;)

The interior looks quite comfortable for such a small house.  But it might be a good idea to move the rug and bookcases a bit away from the fireplace.  Not so much from a design point of view, but a sim-safety point of view.  Unless you add the "Fireproof" Handiness upgrade to some fireplaces, objects that are close to them can catch fire.  Some fireplaces come with it automatically, but I don't think that's one of them.

But I think it's really starting to come around!

Thanks for the tips Hosfac! You always know how to make me feel good about my building. Actually, the fireplace has a smoke alarm right above it at this point, and I did a little bit of work on the front yard again, I think it looks better and less busy to boot! It was all the different colors, once I got rid of the oranges it looked much better, meaning I'm ready to call it done. Speaking of which, here's an updated pic of the final front yard!

And a close up to show how I've filled out the flower beds.

See? Without the orange I think the house looks much better, and calmer as well. Now to tackle the upstairs and the backyard! More to come~
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
Yeah removing the orange really helped a lot.  The cooler colors give it a more serene feel to it.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #827 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
I have to definitely echo the sentiment on the orange removal.  Everything feels much more concise.

Your kitchen needs more light.  I'm looking and seeing lots of shadows, and visualizing myself working in the space.  I'd want a lot of light in order to avoid breaking something or cutting myself.  I'd definitely add an overhead light fixture and set it to bright.

Also, there's a lot of open counter space.  Why not add at least one decoration or appliance?

Learning to use light as a design element is a good tool to pick up.  Just a few suggestions: go for moody and precise in more intimate areas like a living room, bedroom or artist's room, bright in functional areas like a bathroom, kitchen or office.  But there are many other possibilities for taking advantage of light.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #828 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
That said, I would like to report that my build is complete and in the exchange!

It turned out very well.  I might even say its my.... Pinnacle achievement.  8)

[/unforgivable cheesiness]

Anyway, you can download it in the swap shop [x], and it's also in the exchange here: [x].  
As always, it's been a pleasure building with you all and I hope you enjoy!

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #829 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
I have to definitely echo the sentiment on the orange removal.  Everything feels much more concise.

Your kitchen needs more light.  I'm looking and seeing lots of shadows, and visualizing myself working in the space.  I'd want a lot of light in order to avoid breaking something or cutting myself.  I'd definitely add an overhead light fixture and set it to bright.

Also, there's a lot of open counter space.  Why not add at least one decoration or appliance?

Learning to use light as a design element is a good tool to pick up.  Just a few suggestions: go for moody and precise in more intimate areas like a living room, bedroom or artist's room, bright in functional areas like a bathroom, kitchen or office.  But there are many other possibilities for taking advantage of light.

Like I said, work in progress, I add decorations last, right after I CAS the countertops. So decor has been added but not pictured. You're right about the kitchen, I'll need to add another light, can't set it to bright though, this house has to take me into consideration too, since I'll be playing it, and I can't look at lights set to bright, they make me color sick. :P
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline Lynley1248

• Occult
« Reply #830 on: March 24, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »
Wow, there are so many fantastic houses here.  I love looking at other people's builds; it offers such great inspiration. 

@deNile - You're house is very cute.  I like the color scheme of the downstairs.  Very calming and relaxing.

@danefaith - I love your house.  The colors and landscaping are great and compliment each other well.

This is my latest WIP.  It isn't complete yet, so any suggestions would be very much welcomed.  I'm not very good with landscaping or picture taking, I'm afraid.

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #831 on: March 24, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
@Lynley1248 - I like it, I suck at building modern so I can't offer any suggestions, just compliments. I like the colors of the rooms and the outside, though I do have one question. Why is the garage door so dark? It looks a little strange to me... But still a good house, and nonsense, you're fine with the camera tool!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #832 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
Lynley1248 - that house is lovely! It's very simple and subtle, but nice. Well done :)

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #833 on: March 26, 2011, 03:19:35 AM »
I think you should do a little more landscaping in the front area opposite of the pond.  It seems a little bare in that area. Overall I expect good things of this!

I like the secluded entryway and the salmony color tones of the wall and the sectioned off living room with carpet looks fantastic.  That recliner in the dining room is a bit too off kilter in its pattern, but that's just a nitpick.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #834 on: March 26, 2011, 03:20:20 AM »

As for me, here we go again!  Got a shell that I'm pretty confident in, but might take another look at the windows.  Unsure about the driveway as well.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #835 on: March 26, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »
Looks great so far danefaith!
Are there meant to be 3 pictures? Because I see:
Great pic
Red X
Great Pic

From what I see, as I said earlier, looks great!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #836 on: March 26, 2011, 03:44:10 AM »
Most of it looks good danefaith (I see no red x). I do agree the driveway could use something more. In the first pic, the left hand side add-on and driveway looks a bit out of place.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #837 on: March 26, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »
@ DeNile: Your cottage is coming up beautifully! I'm in love with the garden and picket fence. The little details in the garage reallly caught my eye too.  :D.

@ Lynley: Wow, what a lovely house! You've got a great eye for colour and texture. I love the sharp lines on the outside and the patterns on the inside. Try dabbling with terrain paints if you're concerned about lanscaping; they're effective and they're free!

@ danefaith: I just came from the Gallery after I saw those pictures in the recently uploaded section  ;D. So far so good, I'm a big fan of black and white, especially with splashes of bolder colours inside. The windows look fine to me, although I know I get annoyed by the bar across the 2-wide windows when I build. Not sure what to do with the driveway though  :-\. I like that you haven't used any Expansion Pack content for it yet, perhaps you could try a version with only base game furnishing?  ;)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #838 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:29 AM »
I think that the red X is this picture . Is that the 2nd picture of danefaith's post?

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #839 on: March 26, 2011, 04:40:44 AM »
Oh thank you seabody for showing that photo - I hadn't seen it in danefaith's post. Now after having looked at that, I'd say the add-on bit near the driveway maybe just needs a little colour change, like maybe making the half-wall around the balcony white to match the rest of the house? The pool looks splendid.

anything