Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 327257 times)

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Deserted
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
Oh man, its getting all distopia up in here!  :o I think Noten may be my new favorite Reaper! Thanks for the update Livvie!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: The Stranger
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Oh man, its getting all distopia up in here!  :o I think Noten may be my new favorite Reaper! Thanks for the update Livvie!
;) This is only just the beginning.

Because I meant to post that first chapter last night, I'm going to try to get another one out today.

The Stranger
There was a sudden rapping at the door. Noten slowly woke up and rubbed his eyes, stretching his arms out shortly after.
"What time is it?" He peered at the clock, it was a little past midnight. "Who in watcher's name comes knocking on my door this late?" He grumbled as he got up and flipped the lights on.

The knocking continued quickly and growing louder.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." Noten said bitterly, secretly hoping it wasn't the police woman back for more.
Noten opened the door to a man dressed in all black who immediately rushed into the home and closed the door swiftly behind.
"Turn off the lights you moron!" He whispered forcefully.

"What? You can't just-"
"Turn. Off. The. Lights!" The stranger hissed, Noten jumped back and hit the light switch. It was pitch black but his eyes slowly adjusted to the moonlight pouring in from the window.
A candle flickered to life as the Stranger put it down on Noten's table. "Watcher, you're impossible." He muttered as he walked back to Noten.
"Sir, I'm not sure why you're here, but you should leave my house immediately." Noten said, trying to muster up enough force to make himself sound serious.
The stranger chuckled. "You really don't have a clue what's going on here... do you? I thought my daughter was joking when she came home saying an idiot stranger washed up on the beach and started playing the guitar."
Noten froze. That little girl.

"I don't know why everyone insists on bothering me, but-"
"Do you want answers or not?" The stranger cut him off. Noten gulped and nodded. "Then you want me here."
Noten nodded again.
"Don't look so shaken up boy, come have a seat, you're going to need it when I get through telling you this story."

The stranger cleared this throat, "I guess I should ask you what you want to know first."
"Who are you?"
"Out of all the crazy things happening, you want to know who I am first?" The stranger snorted. "I guess paranoia isn't a bad trait to have in these times, I'm Teodor, and you are?"
"Noten. Noten Reaper."
"A Reaper, eh?" Teodor smiled brightly at him.
"You know someone by that name?" Noten asked slowly.
"Know? Not exactly. Heard of? Yes, but that's rather hard to explain at the moment. That name does explain why you got past the checkpoints here - watcher, this corruption is spreading like a virus. It'll catch on in other towns soon, I'm sure of it. It's already wiped out Midnight Hollow - some kid name Dexter came in and destroyed the town by rising in ranks in the military. No one heeded my warning when that same organization took root here... and now here we are, Martial Law, people dying everyday... and this is only just the beginning." The man's voice was rough as he spoke just slightly softer than one would in normal conversation. He stared into the flickering candle, as if imagining the stories being retold. He continued, "if only they would've just listened."

"Organization... what now?"
"F.D.S. The Federal Devine Syndicates. They started out similar to a union... then they grew in size and started delving into criminal activities. They were originally Cops, Military recruits... small time, then they grew into Generals, Politicians, Chiefs of Police even. Things got bad quickly with them, they started falling off the radar and doing things they shouldn't. They started doing each other favors. You did something wrong? They could make it go away for you, all you had to do was give them your services. They got away with everything. Midnight Hollow was their testing ground, and I saw that... but no one else did. Now they're using that technique on everyone else to promote their agenda, to gain total power and immunity. Now that they're big in numbers they've doubled their funding. They're armed, dangerous and immune to consequence."
"How...how do you know all this?"
Teodor half smiled, thinking fondly of memories. "Once upon a time I was a cop - a good one, at that. Now my skills barely make ends-meet at the Stadium." He shook his head. "I would've stayed a cop too if it weren't for FDS. It started to become required that if you were a cop, you were part of that union..." Teodor's voice fell, and it was understood that he rejected that offer. "I wasn't going to sacrifice my morals for them." He summed up.

"What happened in Midnight Hollow?" Noten asked quietly.
Teodor's face looked grim. "Pyromaniac hit the streets." He said quietly. "several houses were burned to the ground, with no suspect found. They know it was out of malice too. It was mainly the poor who took the worst of it. The FDS has quite the policy on the poor and homeless, they don't tolerate them at all, but they can't just outright say it and get away with being in power in a new place... so they burned down houses. Of course, no one knew it was their police officers and their armies and their politicians that were behind this... so when the government encouraged Martial Law on Midnight Hollow to help take the crimes down things got ugly very quickly for the poor people there."
"They just... burned houses down? Just like that people were homeless?"
"No, Noten... if only it were that kind. They burned down the houses with people locked in them." He said quietly, looking down. "It was sadistic and horrible. Anyone thought to "oppose" the new government were quickly taken out by the new Mayor's Personal Hit Team... or what was once the army."
Noten's face reflected his fear and terror. "How... how could they do that?"
"They're very careful, they plan ahead and try to make it seem like they're helping the people when really..." He trailed off.

"What happened here?" Noten asked. "It couldn't have always been this way!"
"Bombings." Teodor said quickly. "If you know your history, you know we used to be a Monarchy here. We have Royalty, still. The Ichtacas. They're more like figureheads than anything these days, but a lot of people still respect them. They had a ship that got bombed, they weren't on it... they were on their way to it, actually when it blew. It scared them to pieces, causing them and all of the people who adore them to want to throw themselves into a military state... so here we are, and no one is happy about it. Many people have been taken out in the streets... prevent from going home. Something is particularly messed up with Alfonso Alto and his policies. He is planning on cutting down the population in a new way."
"Surely the Ichtacas must want to put a stop to this? They must know!"
"You'd be surprised how little they know." He said, a bitter chuckle echoing behind his voice.
"What were you saying... about the population?"
"Rumor has it he's going after the children here soon. I've been taking great care of keeping Palmira safe... but she's almost a teenager... so hopefully he won't be that interested in her."
"The kids too? Is that why there's no school?"
"Yeah... he practically bulldozed the school as soon as he had enough authority to."
"You can't just do that!" Noten's voice rose. He was getting very angry. "How can anyone get away with this?!"

"Calm down there." Teodor said softly. "Unfortunately getting angry about it doesn't do much, but acting can."
Noten quieted suddenly. "What can I do?" He practically whispered.
"I've got several people gathered, we're going to be starting a revolution."
"A revolution?" Noten's voice was shaking, the thought of going up against the military suddenly took all of his anger away. "How?"
"We're going to have to fight. For some of us it's our only option. All of us smaller people need to stick together so we don't get run over."
The stranger stood up. "Come to my house on in two days. After dark, of course. Conceal yourself well. Try not to get caught - we can't help you much if you do - but tomorrow is supposed to be a meeting for most guards... security will be lax, but don't be foolish." He handed Noten a paper with the address. "It's backwards." He said quietly. "So if you do get caught, they won't know which numbers go where, but here's your hint." He point to a few numbers and showed how they were supposed to be read.

Noten sat numbly across from the stranger, attempting to take in his words. The dark of the night was barely being warded off by the dim light from the candle. Noten's mind was wandering - when did things ever get this bad?
"I'm leaving you a book." Teodor said. "It's the principles of FDS. What they stand for. If that doesn't make you realize how bad things are going to get... then I don't know what will." He dropped the book on the table. "Hopefully. I'll see you in two days." He said quietly as he walked towards the door.

Noten watched Teodor leave, the candle blew out on the way.

He didn't know this man, he didn't know if he wasn't trying to trick him... but what else did Noten have to believe? No one else bothered to tell him anything.
Noten carefully moved to pick the book up from the table to examine it.

"Watcher Shrugged" Noten whispered softly. "Odd name for a book." He relit the candle and sat down to read, feeling quite unable to sleep with all of this new information floating in his head. Maybe the book would answer the questions he had.
Either way, he wouldn't know unless he read it.
So he did.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kittenalive

• The Mystic
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
This is amazing! Oh my goodness!!! Please please please update again soon!!!!

fdahfjdlaifhdauifj

He's just so cute!!!! <3333  I love Noten!!! <333

Offline AnnaSimmery1234

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #273 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
I just love the new approach your going with! And I absolutely love Noten! He's very handsome. I think Noten might be my favorite Reaper yet.

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »
This is the best heir story yet Livve, its really intense. Just the tought of those poor sims locked in burning houses.... *shudder* I don't know why but when Teodor said a pyromanic was burning buildings in Midnight Hollow, I thought it was Falor. Good thing Demi is with him though, she'll keep him in line! ;)

Offline Mizzilee

• Townie
  • Mistress of Pumpkins
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »
I'm...blown away. Absolutely blown away here! Here I thought I knew how to build drama and then you come up with this insanity. Poor Noten...I'd be just like him. Totally confused.

I can't help but wonder if Noten's gonna marry that girl when she becomes a Young Adult. Unlike girls, guys can produce kids at any age after teenager

Because I'm an English nut, just gonna go ahead and say it: it's spelled 'Martial' not 'Marshall'.
"In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song"

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »
This is amazing! Oh my goodness!!! Please please please update again soon!!!!

fdahfjdlaifhdauifj

He's just so cute!!!! <3333  I love Noten!!! <333
I'm working on an update as we speak!

I just love the new approach your going with! And I absolutely love Noten! He's very handsome. I think Noten might be my favorite Reaper yet.
I'm glad! I was worried it would cause too much of a shock. As per forum rules violent things will not be shown - anything violent will happen off screen (though it doesn't mean it didn't happen, if that makes sense).

This is the best heir story yet Livve, its really intense. Just the tought of those poor sims locked in burning houses.... *shudder* I don't know why but when Teodor said a pyromanic was burning buildings in Midnight Hollow, I thought it was Falor. Good thing Demi is with him though, she'll keep him in line! ;)
Haha, no worries, Falor is safely put back in Monte Vista with his children and Demi! Demi knows how to straighten him out... No the "pyromaniac" story was supposed to be a fake story to cover up the fact that people in power were doing it. I hope that was clear. I'm glad it's going well though, I'm trying to not skip any details on this story!

I'm...blown away. Absolutely blown away here! Here I thought I knew how to build drama and then you come up with this insanity. Poor Noten...I'd be just like him. Totally confused.

I can't help but wonder if Noten's gonna marry that girl when she becomes a Young Adult. Unlike girls, guys can produce kids at any age after teenager

Because I'm an English nut, just gonna go ahead and say it: it's spelled 'Martial' not 'Marshall'.
Oh my! I'm quite embarrassed. I went through and tried to correct it... nothing takes the drama out of a story like a massive typo! I was always taught by phonics when I was little (spell how it sounds), the funny thing was though was my boyfriend (who was an english major before switching to PoliSci and graduated) completely missed that! I claim no prior knowledge as all of the history classes that ever taught me about Martial Law were ridiculously boring anyways (and spent more time talking about celebrities than history).
And hey! Stop guessing my plotlines! Haha, no, I totally kid. I was talking to my boyfriend about how I was stumped about how to get my characters into the places I wanted them to be, and he said "why a child in the bush? Why not have a young woman, or a future love interest?" and I said "Because I want it to be a kid!" Then it totally dawned on me that Palmira grows up gorgeous and she's conveniently twisted into the story and aging up fast, so in a way we got both haha!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Palmira
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
Palmira
Noten's eyes opened slowly. He moved his hands up to wipe away the blur of first-awakening. He swallowed hard and tried to move his stiff muscles. He was on the floor of his shack with Watcher Shrugged wedged underneath him.

Bear came running over to lick his face, happy to see he was alive. Noten half smiled as he stroked the dog. "Good boy." He grumbled. "How long was I out?" He looked to see sunlight pouring in the window.
Noten reached to clutch his stomach as it started to growl. "Breakfast time, I guess?" However when he went to check the fridge all he found was spoiled salad. Noten grimaced. "To the store then? Who wants to go for a walk?"
Bear jumped up and danced in circles. Noten hooked Bear up to the leash and started their walk. Noten was stiff for most of the journey.

"I'm just a man... just walking his dog..." He whispered to himself as he would check behind him over and over. "I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm not breaking the rules."
Noten had walked around the corner to see a shop window. He could feel the drool catching up in his mouth. He ran over to the window only to be stopped by a big sign.

Owner Being Investigated as Rebel Informant. Store Closed Indefinitely.
Noten clutched his stomach again as it growled louder. "You've got to be kidding me..." Noten put his face up against the glass only to see the shelves had been empty for a long time, dust covered a majority of the place. "I guess we won't expect him to be back any time soon." Noten said quietly, then it hit him.
This man probably wouldn't be back at all.
Noten gulped, grabbed Bear's leash and walked home to his breakfast of old and moldy salad.

Noten was hungry enough that as long as he kept his eyes closed, he could shovel the salad into his mouth and swallow it quickly. Of course, it only gave him food poisoning shortly after.

The days were going at a crawl. Noten often found himself laying on the bed staring at the ceiling, wondering when things would change. He would grimace every time he pulled out another portion of what was left of a salad and he felt there was no way to escape the depressing energy that surrounded him.
He could read the newspaper, but that only reminded him what a crushing situation he was in.

He tried pushing through the Watcher Shrugged, but it only reminded him the ideals that the people who were in charge had... and they weren't pretty ones.

No, the only time Noten could ever forget the situation he was in, if only temporarily, was when he played with Bear.

That night was the night he was to meet Teodor. As the sun set he dressed himself in the darkest clothes he packed, pet Bear goodbye and braved the night.

Noten decoded the address in his head as he arrived at the place he was supposed to meet with Teodor at. He was surprised to find a run down house with a pool below it - algae filled now.

Noten walked into the house quietly and observed what the world had done to this once-beautiful house. Noten found a rugged spot on the couch and sat. Waiting for someone to arrive.

Noten felt his breath catch in his throat as a teenage girl walked and sat down on a stack of newspapers across from him. She was thinner than healthy and still had an elegance about her. She sat rigidly straight and had her hands folded in her lap. "Hello, Noten." She said calmly.

"You've grown since I've last seen you." Noten teased.
Palmira pretended to be annoyed but smiled at him anyways.
"When is the meeting supposed to begin?" Noten asked, looking around.
"There isn't one." Palmira said flatly.
"I was told to meet here... did I get the address wrong?" Noten reached into his pocket and fiddled with the paper that Teodor gave him.

"No, this is the place. My father is out at the moment, he figured I could initiate you. We never can meet with the full group of us... it would be too suspicious." Palmira stood for a moment, walked over and dropped a shell on Noten's lap before returning to her seat. "That," she spoke again. "Is the signal we use to determine if one of us is part of the group or not."
Noten examined the shell slowly, flipping it over. It was a very unusual shell.
"I just show it to someone?"
Palmira shook her head. "No, you pull it out and ask the person if they had any clue what type of shell it was." She reached into her shoe and pulled out her small shell. "Noten, I was just wondering if you could possibly help me. I have this shell here but I can't figure out what kind of shell it is! What kind of shell is this?"
Noten looked back and forth unsure if he was supposed to answer the question. "Uh..."
"Then you respond with, 'it's the shell a friend of mine has.' That allows you to know if it's safe to talk about certain messages. We use the message system. Where out of the rebels, we have you keep in contact with at least one person. If you hear a message from your informant, you go to the person assigned to you, using your shell, and pass a coded message. We've been able to minimize mass executions this way."

Noten froze. "Mass... executions?" He swallowed.
"If the trolls get ahold of one of us, they'll torture them for information on who is in on it with them. They will only know one or two people to name, the person that informs them and the person that they inform. We like to believe that people would hold their ground... but we can't be sure that everyone is as firm as my father and I are in our resolve. This way it minimizes how many peoples' names will get out as being part of our organization."
"That sounds sadistic." Noten said quietly.
"It's what we've had to do to ensure our group can continue. To ensure people get food and medication. My father and I are like the black market now. We've saved lives, but we can't save everyone, and if someone gets caught, we can't risk the whole of this operation on them, it would mean the fall of everyone else involved." She threw a crumpled up piece of paper at him. "This is who you must inform when it comes time to pass messages along about riots or plans."
"Who will give me the information?"
"Me." Palmira said softly. "You are one of the few people my father trusts to not squeal when the trolls come knocking, so he's allowing me to pass you the messages. My father is the most important of us though, he is the one who knows where the food is kept, he knows the people and the ways to get in. He can get medication and form plans. I'm only just starting to learn all of this... so if you have to squeal on one of us, don't let it be him." She threatened. "He's the heart of this organization."
Noten gulped. "I'm not a squealer."
"You better not be." She said. "This group could be our only way out. This could be our way to overthrow the corruption, to rise from the ashes like a phoenix. We can't avoid it now, fighting seems to be our only way out so that we don't all starve to death in our own homes!"
Even Noten felt a flicker of inspiration from her voice. She may not believe it right now, but Noten saw more hope in her eyes than in her fathers.
"I'll come for you if we have a message." Palmira finished.
Noten stood up slowly.

"I await your calling." He said quietly as he walked for the door. He snuck back to his little hovel and collapsed on the bed where, for the first time since he got to Isla Paradiso, he slept a dreamless, comfortable sleep.

The next day Noten felt inspired enough to pull out his guitar again. He played a few notes before he finally got back into the swing.

Bear stood outside on guard, making sure his master could play in peace.

Noten did something he hadn't done in a while - he smiled.

He played all day long and into the night when he heard a pounding on his door.
His heart stopped and he almost dropped his guitar.

The pounding sounded again, followed by a loud noise of someone in distress. "NOTEN!"
Pounding.
"Noten! OPEN UP! Please!"
Noten ran to the door and opened it to see a dripping wet Palmira. She threw herself into his arms and started crying. "They took him Noten." She sobbed.

"They took my father away."

Offline Mizzilee

• Townie
  • Mistress of Pumpkins
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
I can't...I'm like...UGH.

That's pretty much all I can muster out of this. I'm an overly suspicious person and find it way to simple that her dad's gone now. This is is a trap or a test or something. I'm going to need more soon. Palmira's beautiful, btw, I don't know if you made her or not, but she's pretty. =D
"In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song"

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

Oh gosh, I just finished reading this and . . . wow! I love this story! Bookmarking and eagerly awaiting more! It's great to see more Tragic Clown genes; all the kids he and Agnes produced are so gorgeous. Raven, in particular, is striking. I loved Aurora's story, with her eventually finding happiness with a man who deserved her. Emrin and Glitch, though, might be my favorite of the heir's stories so far. They were just too, too sweet! Two broken people coming together to make awesome parents. And I'm so glad Falor got his Demi back. Just so much awesomeness all around.

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
  • Call me Sadie :)
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
So I just caught up . . . and I am so happy I came across the thread. :)  I love all the Reapers and your story telling. You have me wanting to know more and read more. When Demi died I was so upset, and I'm so glad that she and Falor are now together. I love Noten's eyes! And I love the twist in Isla Paradisla, and how it's all dystopia-like and it's just awesome! And your writing is really good. And like Mizzilee said, Palmira is really pretty. And I'm thinking about what's going to happen and I can't wait til the next update!

Sadie

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
But...but...but... the shells and... secrecy and cautions.... How could this happen!?!? Not Teodor! Not now! :'( Poor Palmira! Avenge him Noten, in your tanned muscular way!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Protect the Shell
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
I can't...I'm like...UGH.

That's pretty much all I can muster out of this. I'm an overly suspicious person and find it way to simple that her dad's gone now. This is is a trap or a test or something. I'm going to need more soon. Palmira's beautiful, btw, I don't know if you made her or not, but she's pretty. =D

Maybe this next chapter will help clear things up, eh?
Palmira is a toddler townie at the start of Isla Paradiso. She's gorgeous. I haven't touched her, period (though I will admit to making her thinner for story purposes, but I don't feel that counts, she's normally a very healthy weight).

Oh gosh, I just finished reading this and . . . wow! I love this story! Bookmarking and eagerly awaiting more! It's great to see more Tragic Clown genes; all the kids he and Agnes produced are so gorgeous. Raven, in particular, is striking. I loved Aurora's story, with her eventually finding happiness with a man who deserved her. Emrin and Glitch, though, might be my favorite of the heir's stories so far. They were just too, too sweet! Two broken people coming together to make awesome parents. And I'm so glad Falor got his Demi back. Just so much awesomeness all around.
Oh my! Rhoxi of the dojos has commented on my story! I'm honored! Emrin and Glitch were a very fun couple to write, and it really was all by accident. I knew she was going to get a plumbot somewhere along the lines, but I didn't expect her to love the plumbot! After viewing a few of Oasis Landing's townies and realizing they really had crap personalities it only made sense for her to fall for someone who just "got" her, and there was no townie like that, but there was a plumbot who took care of her every day. It was accidental happiness. :)
Thank you for commenting!

So I just caught up . . . and I am so happy I came across the thread. :)  I love all the Reapers and your story telling. You have me wanting to know more and read more. When Demi died I was so upset, and I'm so glad that she and Falor are now together. I love Noten's eyes! And I love the twist in Isla Paradisla, and how it's all dystopia-like and it's just awesome! And your writing is really good. And like Mizzilee said, Palmira is really pretty. And I'm thinking about what's going to happen and I can't wait til the next update!

Sadie
Thank you! I really appreciate it when people comment! Demi's death was my first real test as a writer, and I'm glad to have gotten positive feedback on it, hopefully it helps me improve my storylines further!

But...but...but... the shells and... secrecy and cautions.... How could this happen!?!? Not Teodor! Not now! :'( Poor Palmira! Avenge him Noten, in your tanned muscular way!
Haha, Noten will avenge him in the best way possible. I can't wait to get this story rolling! :)

Thank you everyone for your comments! Forgive this chapter as it is short of screenshots (I really have trouble posing out events sometimes, so I'll often just omit certain pictures anyways), anyways, it will be a little text-heavy. Hopefully it's not too much for one to read! :)
Thank you to everyone for your support! I greatly appreciate this as I've never written anything public like this before, and so getting started and having your support to changing up my style really means a lot to me!

Protect the Shell
Noten ushered Palmira inside and over to the couch. "Slow down." He whispered calmly. "Tell me what happened."
Palmira wiped her face on her sleeve and exhaled a shaky breath. "The man who ran the grocery down the street was our main supplier for food." She had to pause between every few words to take deep breaths. "I was always unsure of his motives." Palmira wiped her face again. "But my dad thought he was a good person."
"Did he rat him out?" Noten whispered.

Palmira nodded. "I went out for a walk by the shore outside of my house." Her lower lip trembled. "I started to smell smoke, so I turned and ran back home to see the house was on fire. My father was in chains and so was Mr. Hamada. My father looked so sad." She started to sob again. Noten hesitated, wondering if putting his arm around her would be a comfort or considered not appropriate. He settled with putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Take a breath." He spoke quietly. He got up and grabbed a glass from the cupboard to fill with water. He brought it back to her and she took it shakily.
Wiping her face, she continued: "I was in the brush, but they said something about burning the house down to kill his kid..."
"They thought you were inside?" Noten looked down, wondering how such a mess of this was made.

"I guess so." She sniffled. "They took him away with Mr. Hamada." She swallowed. "I may never see him again... Noten..." Her voice became a soft whine as she started to sob again. This time Noten didn't hesitate as he wrapped her up in a hug. "I'm so scared Noten." She whispered. "What am I going to do?"
"We'll figure out something." Noten whispered. "I'll make sure of it, until then, you're staying here."
Palmira looked up at him with her big, brown eyes and tried to muster up a smile but it was much too hard. "I don't want to trouble you, besides... what if they come looking for me?"
"We'll have to take that as it comes." He said. "Now let's get you to bed, it's getting late, and we're going to need to think fast if we're going to get your father back."
Palmira nodded, she wiped her face again on her now-soaked sleeve. Noten took her back to his room where she slept.

Noten, being the gentleman that he was, slept on the couch with Bear there to calmly watch over him with eyes that held both sadness and pity. Bear knew so much more than Noten would ever be able to guess.

When the next day arrived Palmira emerged and sat down at the table. Noten gave her the cereal he had been saving for a special occasion and ate some moldy bread with jam - or at least, what he thought was jam.

Palmira shoved the cereal into her mouth like she hadn't eaten in weeks. It was then Noten noticed how thin she was, how her arms and legs had lost almost all the extra fat it would usually store, and how her clothing - once that would've fit a normal teenager tightly, hung loosely on her bones. He was half-tempted to give her his bread, but decided to not risk her getting sick on top of it all from whatever was growing on it.
"I'm sorry." She said softly between spoonfuls. "For barging in here last night. My father is probably fine. We have safety nets on the inside... so he should be released soon." She sounded happy and normal again. Noten was almost relieved.
Unfortunately, that relief didn't last. The newspaper arrived and Noten found himself walking out to pick it up.
The headline made his eyes go wide.

He looked towards the house, wondering if it's a good idea to tell her or not, but deciding that hiding it would only cause problems. He ran inside the house. "PALMIRA!" He shouted, she was sitting on the couch.
"What is it Note-"
Noten shoved the newspaper in her hands. She read the headline and almost dropped the paper.

Boat Bomber Found, Public Execution Planned Today
Below it was a picture of Teodor.
Palmira skimmed the paper quickly. "I don't... I don't understand." She whispered.
"Did your father start the bombings?" Noten asked suspiciously.
"No!" Palmira jumped up. "Of course he didn't! He was with me on that day." She whispered.
She read down further, "Daughter presumed dead in housefire started by Medina. Public execution will be held in the town center today. Medina is suspected of starting a group, so this public execution will be the first of many." She trailed off.
Noten looked down, frustrated as the realization hit him.
"We have to save him!" Palmira started putting her shoes on.
Noten grabbed her arm and pulled hard. Palmira froze.
Noten exhaled harshly as he squeezed his eyes shut. "We can't do that, Palmira."
"But... but why not? We just have to-"
"No." Noten's voice was harsh. "If you go out there and are seen, they will know you're alive. Right now, they assume he killed you. Your father knows that isn't true, and you and I know that isn't true, but they don't."
She stiffened and gritted her teeth. "We're going to save him. No matter what." She growled.
"What could we possibly do Palmira?" Noten said letting go of her arm. "Really?! What could we possibly do?" Palmira's face crumbled. "We're unarmed, we're outnumbered, and if we go out there and do this... then any chance for the rebellion... and for life to go back to normal will fall. All the things YOUR father worked so hard for will be worthless."
"It's already worthless." She whispered.
"No, it's not. Your father set that fire so it could look like you died, so you could carry on. Not so you could throw your life away in a rescue attempt that you and I both know won't work." Palmira's knees gave out and she fell to the floor. Tears fell openly from her eyes.
"Why Noten...?" She cried.
"Because he loves you, and he wants a better life for you."
Palmira curled up on the floor and sobbed. Bear came over and licked her face gently before whining and laying his head on her side.

On the other side of town, a crowd had gathered outside the city hall. Teodor's hands were tied behind his back and a gun was pointed at his head. He saw his dear friend waiting in the center of the street. He closed his eyes and bent his head down before raising to shout at the person, "protect the shell!"
The gun went off, and Teodor was at peace. The last thought that ran through his mind was his daughter. 

His shell.

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
  • Call me Sadie :)
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Oh no oh no . . . he can't die! But he did . . . Poor Palmira. There's so much going on and like . . . I just . . . More please?  ;)

Noten is so sweet! Can I just say that? I'm going to say it again, he is so sweet.  :)

Edited to add more substance: I didn't mind the text. I felt like it was balanced between the two.

Offline DarkmetalScorpian

• The Malady of Sim Nation
  • Townie
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I just read this from star to finish.  You are an excellent writer. Bookmarked

anything