Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 323511 times)

Offline Tiamet

• Immortal
  • I survived the Great Spooky Day Blizzard of 2012!
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Daisy and a Favor
« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2016, 05:07:38 AM »
No, no, Anne!  Don't invite the folks for dinner!  Get Daisy and load up on rock salt and cast iron!  That Malice is up to no good!  (Even if he does look kinda awesome ;))
..."For my schemes are as devious as yours, and my crazy as great..." Erik to Sarah and Jareth
Pika-la-Cynique, GND

I Wanna Be A Disney Princess Base Game Dynasty
Goblin King Dynasty The Backup Has Been Found!
Fellowship of the Dynasty - HOF
The Arlo Bunch Documentary

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
What you see as slow and dull world building, I can assure you, the rest of us see as an excuse for MOAR! There is no such thing as a filler chapter in this story, everything is interesting and takes us that little bit deeper into the mythos. Rawr Malice is HAWT!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »
I agree with Magpie2012.
While reading this chapter, I didn't feel like things were moving too slowly at all, not even one tiny bit.
Although Anne looks lovely in every shot, my favorite shot for some reason is Majnun in the kitchen with his floating book and teacup.
He has really become a gorgeous sim, both inside and out, as well as narratively fascinating.

Malice is beautiful! I became completely distracted at the name of his partner in crime "Nyx," as I imagined everyone's favorite PI doing stake-outs around the magical house with his little bush.
See? That thought is totally distracting!  And quite giggleworthy.

It's always such a surprise and delight still to see Majnun's softer side with Anne.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
No, no, Anne!  Don't invite the folks for dinner!  Get Daisy and load up on rock salt and cast iron!  That Malice is up to no good!  (Even if he does look kinda awesome ;))
Oh typical Anne. She always has to make amends to everyone - even those best left to rot. ::) I love the suggestion, I'll make it to her. Hopefully she'll take it seriously. ;) Her and Daisy crack me up.
Malice looks amazing, I'm very pleased with how he came out. The fact that he creeps ME out is a good sign that I did something right. XD

What you see as slow and dull world building, I can assure you, the rest of us see as an excuse for MOAR! There is no such thing as a filler chapter in this story, everything is interesting and takes us that little bit deeper into the mythos. Rawr Malice is HAWT!
Thank you so, so much!
I greatly appreciate the sentiment! I can't express enough how relieved I am that it's still enjoyable to read!
Hopefully this will give everyone a sense for how exciting I PLAN for things to get - if I consider this part the "boring, mundane" part. ;)
Either that or I have a warped sense of what's interesting XD which could also be true. ;)
I'm very glad people enjoy the more informative content though. I try to make sure I'm only including what will be important and referenced again later in the story. I'm grateful that Anne is so unfamiliar with the Gods because it gives me the chance to really make sure I'm laying foundation for the coming chapters/generations. This story, now that Majnun's blood is mixed in, will be taking a dive into the divine. I'm so excited for it, and I hope I can do it justice.

I agree with Magpie2012.
While reading this chapter, I didn't feel like things were moving too slowly at all, not even one tiny bit.
Although Anne looks lovely in every shot, my favorite shot for some reason is Majnun in the kitchen with his floating book and teacup.
He has really become a gorgeous sim, both inside and out, as well as narratively fascinating.

Malice is beautiful! I became completely distracted at the name of his partner in crime "Nyx," as I imagined everyone's favorite PI doing stake-outs around the magical house with his little bush.
See? That thought is totally distracting!  And quite giggleworthy.

It's always such a surprise and delight still to see Majnun's softer side with Anne.

You guys are both too awesome to me. XD
Thank you so much though, Oshizu. That really does mean a lot. ;D
Funny, that was my favorite shot of Majnun as well! I really love how casual, yet magical he looks. He's really been giving me A+ screenshot material lately. It's a nice change. Majnun has grown on me more than words can even say. I can't even tell you how heartbreaking it will be when this story ends. I think I'm going to fall apart for a while after (takes deep breath and calms self). Thankfully we're a LONG way off with how detailed and windy I've been with my chapters. ::)

I love how everyone is so fond of Malice! I find him scarily attractive, but at the same point I'm not that fond of him. Perhaps it's because I know the full extent of his personality and life. Let's just say he makes Majnun looks like a saint, and I've already established Majnun as more of the morally gray-darker character. As for Nyx? Hahahaha! I was laughing too hard.
Felix is clearly a great help to him, all those walls he stares at during stakeouts... Clearly gathering information for Malice! ;)
Nix and Nyx are so similar! It wasn't intentional though! Now I'm going to picture Felix's crazy face he makes whenever I see Malice. That helps make him less scary! XD

Majnun's softer side is fantastic. Sometimes I worry it's showing too much, but it's how his character wants to be written. Anne is his best side. They're adorable together I swear. In game and in story.

Here's random picture dump for anyone who's curious. I love these two.
They played Rock, paper, scissors when I had my back turned. Majnun lost. Likely purposefully.

Sometimes I just watch them and let them go crazy. Well, crazi-er.

This was too adorable, when playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, Anne tried scaring Majnun.

Not so tough now, Mr. God of Magic?
Then they watched the stars together. Majnun always rolls wishes for Anne... and for seeing the demise of everyone else in the world.

He literally popped a wish to kiss Anne, and followed up with a wish to steal candy from a baby. That's my Majnun.
Then I decided to test out a new pose. =) <3

Random picture dump on other characters:
Quinn takes flasks of bees like a champ. If anyone wonders why he's Majnun's priest... here's why:

Sheogorath is definitely his father's son.

Mania is an amazing mother (though I'm not surprised about that one).

Raeveth hasn't had a faceshot yet, but she's super adorable too.

Oh, and I grabbed these after the wedding, mostly because the veil was getting wonky, so I took it off for some screenshots for me.

Anyways, that's pretty much the extent of my picture dump. I have some funny ones of Agonin, but I don't think you've met him in this story yet. ::) My mind is slipping. He's been around in my games for ages now, I just think this story hasn't gotten any picture-love of him. He's pretty much as rigid as Majnun says he is.
Minus his love of explosions.
I also have some prep shots for another story that's in the works (Quinn's), but I'm not sure anyone really wants to see those. XD =) That story is pretty much a project I'm doing for me because of my absolute love of him and his story.
As well as I've** finally gone through and created all of the gods. There are 18 total, 15 if you don't count the Sisters of Time, and 14 during the time of Majnun and Anne. All of them have personalities and stories of their own and... now you see what Mpart and I are working on ALL of the time! XD Oh it's so much fun though. I can't even describe how much fun it is.
You all will be meeting them relatively soon, depending on how quickly these next few chapters move. =)

Have a fantastic Saturday (assuming it's still Saturday for everyone) everyone! I'm working on another chapter as we speak. I love this story so much. <3

**I've meaning mpart and I. XD So that should be we've.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #844 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
Just want to say that I didn't say I found Malice attractive. I only said that he's (physically) beautiful. 
Nothing attractive about a misogynist...

Adored the shot of Majnun being scared by the hunched-over Anne. hahaha

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #845 on: May 14, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
Just want to say that I didn't say I found Malice attractive. I only said that he's (physically) beautiful. 
Nothing attractive about a misogynist...

Adored the shot of Majnun being scared by the hunched-over Anne. hahaha
That's one of my favorite pictures as well. At first I was like, "oh, I don't know, I'd hate to ruin Majnun's scary reputation for everyone by showing how easily Anne spooks him, but clearly this is Anne and he's simply appeasing her. Of course. ;)

As for Malice? If only Misogyny was his worst trait... :-X

Anyways, working on another chapter. Hopefully it'll be up tonight/tomorrow. =D

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #846 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
Sorry to keep commenting in your thread but I forgot to mention that I'd love to read more about Quinn, since (1) you love Dragon Valley and (2) Quinn is your favorite Dragon Valley sim.
Anything or anysim that you "absolutely love," I and your other readers are sure to LOVE as well.  <3

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #847 on: May 14, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
Sorry to keep commenting in your thread but I forgot to mention that I'd love to read more about Quinn, since (1) you love Dragon Valley and (2) Quinn is your favorite Dragon Valley sim.
Anything or anysim that you "absolutely love," I and your other readers are sure to LOVE as well.  <3
Never apologize for commenting on my thread! I LOVE all coments! No matter who from/how frequent! =)
Yay! A vote for Quinn! I know I'm going to write the story, I'm just trying to decide when the best time to start posting it would be.
Also, Quinn is not JUST my favorite Dragon Valley sim, he's my favorite EA made Sim ever. Period. Jupiter and Agnes come pretty close now though, but Quinn still wins by a landslide.  =)
With that in mind, I'm going to get this chapter up and continue working on his story, which will be titled "Song of the Nightingale" if and when I get around to posting it. ;D

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #848 on: May 14, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »
I have so much to say about this chapter! Malice - I hate him already. I love the summary of the death keepers and the hybrids. It was just amazing. Magnun and Anne are fabulous as always. Daisy looks beautiful and Anne is losing her mind if she thinks it is a good idea to invite her parents over. Oh well. We all love Anne. AWW! I'm so happy for Mania even if she had Raveth with the worse person in the realm. Well, one of them.  ::)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Broken Barriers
« Reply #849 on: May 15, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
Oh my gosh, you guys. This chapter was adorable to write.
"Poof!"

Broken Barriers
The Keeper house was quiet with the master’s absence. It took a solid three times before Majnun could fully leave the house without coming back in for something he “forgot” to mention or grab. It wasn’t a matter of the house not being safe enough, Majnun knew no one would be stupid enough to try anything while he was away from the house. No, it was really just a matter of leaving Anne.
He still hadn’t gotten her to agree to magic yet, to let him use magic on her at the very least. The worst part of it was, every time he stepped away from her there was a chance she would age and he would not. Of course, she aged regardless of him being there, but it was more missed opportunities. What was a mortal year to him? A blink. No, less. A blip of a blink. If she truly was going to be stubborn to the end - if she refused to let him make her immortal with him…
He would have to say goodbye to her. A real goodbye. A permanent one.
This job alone was a constant reminder of her aging - staring down the land of the dead and patching the border barriers. Would there be a day where she would rest here? He stared into the abyss of it and frowned.

The harrowing silence was broken by Agonin. “There’s been a lot of talk about you. You’ve missed council meetings.” He stood firmly and began to work on the next segment of barrier.
“Have I? What a shame.” Majnun retorted while feigning sadness.
“Malice and Nyx are in the works of something.” He spoke levelly, one hand behind his back as the other worked the barrier back into shape.
Majnun grimaced at his demeanor before kicking a shard back into place on the barrier, smirking at him as he did so. “So it seems.” He paused. “I’m glad to hear someone got under your skin in my absence. Remind me to send them a gift basket.”
Agonin tried to not roll his eyes. “I heard my daughter caused a stir at your house recently.”
Majnun soured immediately, and said nothing.
“I thank you for not killing her, that is all.” He did not look at Majnun as he spoke.
Majnun let out a long breath. “I cannot promise I will refrain from doing so again.”
“I understand.” Agonin said levelly. “It is the way of things.”

Majnun’s face twitched. Order. It made him gag. He picked up a shard and examined it. “You should be aware that the contract between Alessandra and I is finished. It would be wise if she kept her distance to keep her life.”
Agonin nodded. “I am aware.” He paused. “Just as you should be aware that your real contract will never be finished. You have a child together.”
“Sheogorath can seek me out whenever he wishes, as usual.” Majnun stated calmly as he ran his fingers along the top of the shard idly. “I will not tear him from his mother, if that is what you imply.”
Agonin nodded once. “That is all I ask.” He paused again. “There have been rumors amongst the gods about the ending of your contracts.”
Majnun giggled with insanity. “I never took you for a gaggling schoolgirl.” He made a face at Agonin. “Did you all braid each other’s hair as you discussed my private life?” He chucked the shard forward, relishing in knowing that it would anger Agonin. He also hated that it would take just that much longer to return to Anne, but he couldn’t possibly let Agonin think he had lost his touch.

Agonin sighed heavily with irritation, but said nothing of the matter, instead he kept probing further. “So you did break all of your contracts then?”
“Never let them tell you I’m predictable.” Majnun grinned.
“Except you kept one contract?” Agonin raised an eyebrow.
Majnun scowled. “I did no such thing.”
“Alessandra mentioned you kept one. Is she mistaken?” He kept his eyes focused ahead.
Majnun was angry, he spoke quickly before thinking about it. “Anne is not a contract.” He had turned and began walking along the edge of the barrier to find the shard he had thrown.
He had not noticed Agonin had stopped what he was doing to look at him with a strange face - one that he had never seen before. “You’re in love.”

Majnun picked up the shard he had tossed and, in his fury, turned and threw it back sharply at Agonin. Agonin stopped the speeding shard with a wave of his hand. The shard was not meant to hurt him, but to be Majnun’s answer: drop it.
“I take it she is a mortal then, as Alessandra said.” Agonin still had the same look on his face, one Majnun couldn’t place, but it only made him angrier.
“Not for long, if I can help it.” He muttered as he started to slam the shards back into place on the barrier. “Let us not talk about this.” His voice was low and threatening.
Agonin let out a long breath and returned to working on the barrier next to Majnun.
Majnun bit his cheek and triple checked the house in his head. He extended his magic all around every edge. It was getting late there, and Anne was still up reading next to the fire. He wanted to smile, she named him Iri. She named everything. The warm thoughts of her soured as he thought about her mortality. He clutched the shard he was holding until it broke his skin. He scowled and squeezed his fists, restoring the skin.
Agonin did not miss the change, of course. “A word of warning, if I may.” Agonin did not look away from the barrier he was working on, his face severe. “As a god who once loved a mortal, I warn you to be aware, Majnun, that the gods are often not permitted the same happiness when mortals are involved.”
Majnun bit back a smart retort, instead letting out a long breath as a hiss between his teeth. Agonin’s wife had died long ago, it was a century before Majnun ascended. She died in childbirth when the God of Magic and Madness before him, Zachurr, refused to aid Agonin. “I will not lose Anne.” His voice was soft and low, and it dropped even lower. “I can’t.”

Agonin let the subject drop and they continued working in silence.

Anne stared up at the ceiling of her bedroom as the night dragged on. Sleeping was impossible. It was only his second night away and she still couldn’t sleep. The first night she had ended up staying up most of the night, tossing and turning. She never realized how used to him she had grown that his absence kept her up.

Daisy had come by the day he left and stayed with her throughout the afternoon. Her company was welcome greatly, but it only made Anne more aware of how quiet the house seemed when she left. In all of her life she cannot ever recall a time she was left truly alone for this long. Of course, she wasn’t entirely alone. She had good conversations with Iri and she got to dance with the broom.
The first night alone was the hardest. It wasn’t until the next morning when she came downstairs to breakfast already made and waiting for her that she was reminded that Majnun was never very far, even if it seemed he was. Quinn stopped by in the afternoon and tried rattling off the state of affairs to her. It was mostly stuff that went over her head. Quinn didn’t have the same patience Majnun did for her questions though. Or perhaps it was the books that would hit him after he questioned why she didn’t already know.
Anne smiled as she thought about it. Majnun always knew how to make her feel better about everything. A familiar tremble started in her hand and she sat up suddenly. She clutched her hands together rubbing them and squeezing - hoping to steady them. “No…” She whispered. “Not now, please.” Her breathing grew harsher as she panicked. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths in and out. Her whole body shook rather suddenly, but everything grew calm after that. She exhaled and fell back in bed.
Despite the tremors dissipating, her nerves were shaken. She was already shaken enough as it was being alone in her house, but that was a little more than she could take. She needed to calm down and sleep. She was just exhausted, that’s all this was, she assured herself as such. She threw her legs off the side of the bed and carefully took herself out of the bedroom. It was late - very late - but she just needed some tea. Something to calm her nerves.

She walked slowly in the dark of the house. She should have lit a candle before leaving. Her brain was just too muddled from exhaustion. She squinted as she descended the stairs - there was a light still on. It must have been fate trying to tell her she forgot to put out a candle in the kitchen. Usually they went out on their own though. The light grew brighter and suddenly she was met by a floating candlestick.
The candlestick hovered next to her as she walked into the lit kitchen. A cup of tea sat already on the counter for her, and next to it was the crystal daffodil. Anne could almost cry from the relief she felt seeing it. She took the tea and the flower in hand. She brought the flower to her lips and she smiled softly. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too, my heart.” Anne couldn’t help but grin. She had truly missed his voice. Why hadn’t she thought of the crystal daffodil sooner? She wanted to curse herself for not remembering she had it.
“How goes the barriers?” She twisted the flower in her hand by her lips.
“Miserable.” There was a pause. “We’re almost done though. Hopefully. We had a setback with some Death Keepers. Nothing unusual that I couldn’t handle.”
Anne frowned. “Like the Death Keepers we talked about with the God of the Night?”
“The very same. You have a fantastic memory, my heart.” His voice was warm.
Anne shook her head. “Hardly. I don’t even know half the things that I should…”
“What in the world would make you think something so ridiculous? Was it Quinn? Did I miss when the books took swings at him for me?” His voice grew quiet but came back. “No, you’re perfect as you are. Everything will come in time, and there’s no rush.”
Anne took a gentle breath in, feeling calmer just listening to him. “Am I interrupting your work? Do you need to get back?” She willed him to say no.
There was a chuckle. “I can multitask, you know; however, it’s very late for those who rely on sleep. I sensed you were still awake. Is everything ok? Do you need me to come home?”

Yes, Anne thought. She desperately wanted him to come home and lay with her. Sleep would come so much easier that way. She pursed her lips, but that was a silly reason for him to leave a job that was so clearly important such as repairing the only barriers preventing the dead from oozing back into the living world. “I just have trouble sleeping without you, that’s all. I'm sure I will survive however long this takes.”
There was a bit of a pause. “If it’s any consolation, I’m losing my mind without you.”
Anne’s brow knitted together with worry. “Are you alright? You’ll make me worry about you talking like that.” She whispered.
“I’ll be fine, my heart. Some would even argue that I’ve always been out of my mind. Only half of them are me.” He spoke again before she could respond. “The tea you have is made with enchanted lavender. It should help you to rest tonight.”
Anne smiled at the tea that she had nearly forgotten about while just talking to him. “Thank you.” She said softly. She took a sip of the tea, but her eyelids were already getting heavier. “You should know that you’re not ‘out of your mind.’”
He was laughing softly. “It’s in my title.” His voice was gentle. “Take the tea upstairs with you, my heart, and the daffodil. I’m never far. I promise.”
Anne didn’t protest nor object. She slowly made her way back up to the bedroom and collapsed down on their bed. Sleep started to pull at her. “My sweet?”

“Yes, my heart?”
“I love you.” She whispered, barely coherent.
“I love you too, my heart. Rest well.”

Anne sighed quietly to herself as she sat in the living room, her book closed in front of her. She couldn’t focus enough to read or paint today. It took all of her strength to not reach over for her daffodil to try to reach Majnun again. She couldn’t resist saying good morning to him after she finally woke this morning, yet their conversation got interrupted by Majnun being attacked. Anne bit her lip hard and looked at the crystal flower with worry.

She finally bent over and grabbed it in her hand and frowned. “I’m sorry to bother you... are you safe, my sweet?” She spoke quickly, trying not to let her panic come through.
It was silent for a long time and Anne’s heart started to pound.
“Majnun?” Her voice was louder, tense. She just needed to know he was safe. She began to panic.
“Anne?” His voice came suddenly to her. “Is everything ok? What’s wrong?”
Relief filled her and she relaxed into the couch, hugging the flower to her. “Everything is fine… I was so worried for you. I’m sorry. I just had to know you were safe.”
“I’m glad you’re fine.” His voice reflected the same relief she felt yet it also seemed distant and strained. “Do not worry for me, worry for those who are stupid enough to challenge me.” He joked lightly.
“I always worry for you. Please be safe, my sweet. I wouldn’t know what to do if you didn’t come home.” She whispered softly.
“Take comfort in that you will never need to know. I will always come home to you.” His words were sweet but his voice was weaker even still.

“You don’t sound well, my sweet. What’s happening?” She hated this distance even more now that she could sense the strain her husband was under.
“There was an area that was far more damaged than the rest, and shades attacked us.”
Anne’s eyes went big. “Shades? What are those? Are you ok?”
Majnun took a while to respond. “Let’s call them powerful, dead souls - to put it briefly. They’ve been twisted by how they died which has made them into strong fighters who probably should not be allowed to roam the land of the living.”
Anne shivered. “Did they hurt you?”
Majnun’s voice, though strained, still responded warmly. “No, my heart. Please do not worry about me. I promise you, I’m fine.”
She frowned. “You don’t sound fine, Majnun.” She fidgeted with her sleeve and a soft smile pulled at her lips. “I’m your wife. I can tell.” She liked using the phrase. His only wife.
He chuckled very softly. “I’m just a little tired, and I haven’t seen my wife in three days, which is three days too many, so of course I’m not as well as I should be.”
Anne pursed her lips, “how much longer, my sweet?”
“Not much.” There was a pause and his voice grew more strained. “I hope.”

Anne spent time slowly working her way through the next book on the shelf when she heard a strange thump coming from another room. She made a confused face, nothing in the house could’ve made such a strange noise.

She pursed her lips at the silence that followed before deciding she was just hearing things. She looked back down into her book when there was a new noise - a familiar ringing noise. She sat up straighter and listened closer when the bell started to ring again. She put her book down on the living room table and stood, following her ear all the way into her husband’s room of bells. A few of the bells started to go off at once and Anne’s brow furrowed. She’s never heard so many going off at once. The sound was different than when someone normally wanted into the house though.

She opened the door and was greeted by big red eyes. The boy threw himself back against the wall, his eyes looking guilty. Anne’s initial surprise melted into something closer to maternal concern. “Hello there.” Her voice was gentle and sweet. She took a step into the room and closed the door behind her. “What are you doing in here, little one?”
The boy looked to his feet - he couldn’t be but ten years old. He shifted awkwardly before pointing. “Bells!” He smiled a strange smile.
Anne tilted her head, her eyes briefly flashing to the bells before returning to the boy. “How did you get in here, little one?”
The boy looked down again and swallowed. He fidgeted in place before he held his hands out in front of him and they started to glow slightly. The light grew brighter until it flashed like lightning. When the light cooled the boy was against the opposite wall. The boy grinned widely, “poof!”

Anne looked at the boy closely, it was in his smile she could see it. He was Majnun’s son. It was clear as day. Anne felt her heart warm at the boy. “You did that all by yourself?”
The boy nodded, beaming with pride.
Anne looked at him sweetly. “What’s your name, little one?”
The boy’s smile fell immediately and he looked away, not answering the question.
“My name is Anne.”
The boy looked up at her hesitantly, he opened his mouth but shut it and sucked in his lips nervously.
“There’s nothing to be afraid of. I won’t hurt you. I’m Anne Keeper.” She tried again, hoping the recognition of his father’s last name might help him feel more comfortable talking to her.
The boy pursed his lips out, his eyes jumping around the room as he tried to not look at her. “She-She-Sheogorath.” He shifted.
Anne smiled brightly. “Your name is Sheogorath?”
Sheogorath nodded quickly.
“What a lovely name. Is your father’s name Majnun?”

He nodded again. “I… I was going to show him.”
“What did you want to show him?”
The boy held out his hands, the light trick returning. After that light struck he was behind her. “Poof!” He giggled. “Poof! Poof!”
Anne laughed with him and clapped. “That’s wonderful, Sheogorath! You’re so good at that!” She praised him. “Have you been practicing that?”
He was grinning and nodding his head quickly. He was so proud of himself.
“I’m sure your father would love to see that!”
Sheogorath’s face fell. “Mom says he wouldn’t.”
Anne’s face fell as well. “Why would she say that?” Anne wondered how anyone could be anything other than proud of their own son’s achievements.
He shifted and shrugged sadly. “I’m not very good yet.”
Anne’s eyes went wide with surprise before narrowing with sadness. “You’re very good though! You’re much better than I am! I can’t make myself ‘poof’ anywhere!” She smiled at him, hoping to cheer him up.
“She says I have a lot to learn.” He responded sadly.
Anne frowned. “Just because you have a lot to learn doesn’t mean that you haven’t already learned a lot, or that you shouldn’t celebrate your achievements!”
Sheogorath seemed to warm to that idea.
Anne smiled, “well, you know, we have something we need to celebrate now, and I have cookies in the fridge that need to be eaten…” She trailed off, hoping that would encourage him to open up.
His eyes went big but he, again, faltered. “I’m… I’m not allowed to have those.”
“Why not? Are you allergic to them?” She briefly wondered how long it might take to whip up another batch for him.
He shook his head. “My mom doesn’t like them. They make messes. She doesn’t like messes.”
Anne had a brief moment of conflict in her head: she didn’t agree with how he was being raised, but she didn’t feel it was her place to overstep it either. Her eyes lit up as she found a loophole. “Well, perhaps your mom doesn’t like messes, but she won’t have to clean up the messes. I will, and I don’t mind messes at all!”
Sheogorath smiled a mischievous smile and nodded. “You don’t mind messes?”

Anne lifted her sleeve and showed the boy the paint that had dried on her arm. “I make them for a living.”
His eyes went wide. “You can do that?!” He looked from her arm to her face and back. “And no one gets mad?”
“I do! I’m a painter.” She loved how excited he got by the prospect of making messes for a living. “No one gets mad at all, though when I was younger my parents used to get very upset when I would get paint on the floor.”
He looked up at her with curiosity. “Did they yell at you when you did that?”
Anne felt a pang of sadness fill her. He knew from experience, and she did too. “My mom did.” She nodded sadly. She wanted to see how far she might get him to open up to her. “I don’t like when people yell at me.” She said softly.
He made a small face. “You probably wouldn’t like my mom.” He looked away and looked back. “Could I have a cookie, please?”
Anne laughed lightly. “Of course. Come on, they’re in the kitchen.”

Sheogorath slowly started opening up more. He was odd at some points, but something about him reminded Anne so much of her husband. He was very fascinated with magic and he wanted to be just like his father. She also determined his mother was Alessandra, though that didn’t take very long to figure out. Charlotte did not seem the type to be fussing over cookies causing messes.
Anne didn’t even mind him eating her cookies that she had previously felt were too pretty. It wasn’t that they were too pretty, she decided, but rather that she simply didn’t have the right companion to eat them with.

Sheogorath, despite his initial quietness, turned out to be very talkative and excitable for a young boy. Anne could see more and more of Majnun in him the longer she spoke to him.
After an hour of chatting, Sheogorath’s eyes went wide suddenly.
Anne frowned at him. “Is everything ok, dear?”
“Oh no!” He stood up immediately from the table and spun around oddly, his hands on his head. “Mom is mad! Mom is mad!” He jumped. “Poof! Poof! Poof!” He tried to get his hands to light up, but it wasn’t working right. “Come on! Poof! Poof!” He looked frantically at his hands.

Anne got down on her knees next to him and put her hands on his shoulders. He jumped and looked at her with big panicked eyes. “Everything is ok, Sheogorath.” She said calmly.
“I have to go home. Mom is mad! I have to go home. I can’t go home. Poof isn’t working! Why won’t it work?!” He tried again and again.
Anne put her hands over his. “Calm down, dear.”
His eyes were getting watery and he sniffled. “I have to go home! I have to go home! Why won’t it work? What if I can’t get home?!” A tear fell out of his eyes. “Dad will be disappointed! Mom will be mad! Mom is mad! Mom will be madder! Grandpa will frown!” He started hyperventilating as he continued to panic.

Anne pulled him into her and hugged him closely. She rubbed his back and soothed him. He stood rigidly for a while before finally accepting the comfort she gave him and he cried into her shoulder. “Mom is mad! I don’t want her to be mad. I have to go home! Why can’t I go home? Why is my magic not good enough?”
He was practically inconsolable. Anne continued to try to hush and sooth him until she finally settled on a song her grandmother sang her when she was little.
“Hush my little swallow,
the winter seems so long.
Curl up my little angel,
and listen for spring's song.”

Sheogorath clutched at her tightly, shaking, but his tears had stopped falling.
“The darkness can surround us,
and take away the light.
But you shall fly us forward,
yes, you will end the night.”

Sheogorath began to calm as he listened.
“Hush my little swallow,
spring is around the bend.
The dawn is coming quickly,
you have brought on winter's end.”

“Pretty song.” Sheogorath whispered into her shoulder. “That’s a pretty song.” Anne smiled at him and continued rubbing his back slowly as his breathing started to slow.

She eventually pulled him away from her shoulder. “Take a big breath with me, ok Sheo? Can I call you that? Is that ok with you?”
Sheogorath nodded, and he and Anne took a long breath in and out. He seemed calmer and he wiped his face on his sleeve.
“You’re very good at magic, Sheo. You’re very powerful, and you can do anything you want to do. Ok?” Anne gave him a warm smile.
He nodded softly and sniffled. “Mom is mad at me…”
Anne kept her gentle eyes on him. “Let’s not think about that. You’re very good at magic. Tell me how good you are at magic.”
He swallowed and nodded. “I’m good at magic.”
Very good.” She corrected him.
“I’m very good at magic.” He repeated back.
“Exactly. Do you know how I know?” Anne whispered.
He looked at her with his head tilted before shaking it ‘no.’
“Because you’re just like your father. He would be so proud of you.” Anne said warmly. She meant every word of it too.
His eyes went big. “Really?”
Anne nodded. “Yes. Really.”
A smile pulled on his lips and he nodded. He took in a big breath and looked down at his hands. His smile fell as his face became concentration. The light started to glow in his hands before it got brighter. With another ‘poof,’ the little Sheogorath had vanished from the house, leaving Anne to the emptiness of solitude.

Anne was pulled from her sleep to the sound of crashing. She jolted in bed and looked around. The house was quiet when she heard another crashing sound. She stood up immediately, fear jumping into her chest. She heard something that sounded like a muffled cry when she realized she recognized the voice.

Anne took off running out of the bedroom and across the hallway to the study door. She could hear her husband’s voice, muffled and in pain. She threw the door open and found him collapsed on the floor. He was muttering under his breath and clutching his head.
“Majnun!” She ran over to him, panic filling her. Was he hurt? She could see no injuries on him, save for the ones he seemed to be inflicting on himself.

She reached down and touched his shoulder. He threw himself back, panic in his eyes until they filled with recognition. “Anne… you shouldn’t be… you should go.” He whispered, his eyes seemed to fog over and he cried in pain. 
“What’s wrong, my sweet?” She took another step towards him that caused him to scoot back further.
He clenched his fists before raking his fingers through his hair. “Remembrance. Subjective rummaging throughout all the foreways…” He stared at her with wild eyes, clarity coming in and out of them. “I don’t want to hurt you, Anne.” He whispered. Was that Anne? He couldn’t tell. It sounded like Anne. He couldn’t decipher what was real anymore.
Anne shook her head sweetly. “You won’t…” She took another step forward and continued approaching him. “What happened, my sweet?”
He stared at the floor, grasping at his sanity. She shouldn’t see him this way. “Please… don’t come closer.” He swallowed. “I wasn’t paying enough attention… I lost control of my barriers… I’m sorry…” He was yanked away by the insanity that was twisting him inside. He wanted to scream, but he didn’t want to wake her… but he already had? What was real?

She touched him again and he jolted, but this time he was backed against the wall. He stared at her with crazed eyes. She was the only real thing in this world. The room was spinning. The world was on fire. Bugs were climbing the walls. The shelves were mocking him. Then there was the angel in the room, the one who pulled him to her. He knew her voice. He knew her touch. She was real. She was real. Anne was real. She put her arms around him and he wanted to resist. He wanted to send her away. He did this alone. This wasn’t something anyone understood.
He didn’t even understand it most of the time. He just had to let this insanity run its course and pray that he made it through it in one piece without breaking something.
No. He couldn’t do that to Anne. He had to stay sane. He couldn’t though. The voices started speeding up in his head. All the voices were whispering in his ears. Too fast. Too many. Too loud. He couldn’t decipher any of it.

Anne was singing. He could hear that. He reached forward pulled her closer to him. He couldn’t resist any longer. He needed her. She was the only clarity in the world. She was the only real thing he had.
“I’m sorry.” He whispered.
It was the last clear thing he remembered before he was lost to the insanity.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #850 on: May 15, 2016, 03:30:53 AM »
I have so much to say about this chapter! Malice - I hate him already. I love the summary of the death keepers and the hybrids. It was just amazing. Magnun and Anne are fabulous as always. Daisy looks beautiful and Anne is losing her mind if she thinks it is a good idea to invite her parents over. Oh well. We all love Anne. AWW! I'm so happy for Mania even if she had Raveth with the worse person in the realm. Well, one of them.  ::)
Thanks dear! =D Malice? You and me both, then again, we did create him. ::)
I'm glad I did well with the Death Keepers and the Hybrids. :) Rumor has it we'll have a nice new Death Keeper in our midst soon? ;)
Daisy is so gorgeous! I was like "wow, you've been hiding under that hat the whole time!"
Mania can make due in any situation. It's her strong suit. Raeveth is so cute! Even if she is the daughter of a terrible person and a "Maniac." XD I think we need to make a list of our least favorite people and commiserate over how they came to be. Maybe when you're back from vacation. ::) :-X

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #851 on: May 15, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
@LivvieLove
I loved this chapter, too!
It was great to see another side of Agonin--did he have a child from his union with the mortal? It couldn't be Alessandra, could it?
Agonin keeps his emotional distance but, in his own way, tries to share counsel with Majnun. 

The high point of this chapter was Sheogorath! What an absolutely lovely child! His face is so perfect yet his mind is so messed up (Thanks, mom!).
We can already see that Anne will make a fabulous mother, but I wonder if Sheogorath develops a closeness to Anne (the mother he wished he had).

And of course the fantastic ending--Majnun reaching through the dark clouds of his insanity to Anne.
Have they become your favorite couple in this legacy now? Or does each new couple become your favorite?

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »
Aww! Sheo is adorable. I love the way Agonin explained things to Majnun. He did so in such a way that it wasn't a threat but some friendly advice. It also made sense the way he worded it as it was more of a way of order than of anything else. Maybe that is just me though. Poor Majnun. Insanity is not always fun. I can't wait to read more! Haha. I'm considering actually starting a legacy with the characters I hate. It would be hilarious to me. The summary over the hybrids was excellent. Oh man. Would she be a terrible maniac or would she be like majestic thunder muffin? That is an excellent idea. Some characters seem to write their on destruction though. I hope Alec isn't that stupid.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #853 on: May 15, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Manjun going fully into the insanity just seems all sorts of terrifying!
Loved the interactions between Anne and Sheo.  Super cute!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #854 on: May 15, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
You guys are so awesome.

@LivvieLove
I loved this chapter, too!
It was great to see another side of Agonin--did he have a child from his union with the mortal? It couldn't be Alessandra, could it?
Agonin keeps his emotional distance but, in his own way, tries to share counsel with Majnun. 

The high point of this chapter was Sheogorath! What an absolutely lovely child! His face is so perfect yet his mind is so messed up (Thanks, mom!).
We can already see that Anne will make a fabulous mother, but I wonder if Sheogorath develops a closeness to Anne (the mother he wished he had).

And of course the fantastic ending--Majnun reaching through the dark clouds of his insanity to Anne.
Have they become your favorite couple in this legacy now? Or does each new couple become your favorite?
Thank you! Sheogorath was my favorite part to write. He wrote himself so adorably.
Agonin only ever married once and only has one child, so yes, that child is Alessandra. Agonin and Majnun have such an interesting relationship. Majnun takes jabs at Agonin, Agonin usually keeps his head above the comments, but will subtly make jabs back ("high class" jabs back, of course). In the end, they hate the element the other is, but they respect each other for doing so well with it and knowing that there is a sort of balance between them.

Poor Sheogorath is a child of chaos born into a house of order. It certainly did a number on him growing up - now look at him. He's... very unique, and very creepy, but at the same point, he's not as insane as everyone thinks he is. Anne and he have the most adorable relationship. She really is the mother he wishes he had, but he does have her in a way, so that helps a lot I think.

Thank you! That ending wasn't coming easily to me at first. I've purposefully avoided Majnun when he's truly lost to his insanity because it's mostly incoherent jumbled speech. He cannot refrain from it forever (and in this case, it's been well over 4 months since he really let it loose), though he wishes he could. Anne and Majnun are absolutely my favorite couple in this legacy. Pretty close to my favorite couple ever.

While I love every couple for their individual merits, Anne and Majnun have the most perfect relationship (and I'm not saying I wrote them to be perfect, but rather that their personalities just mesh so well together). I remember when I first wrote Anne, I sat back and thought "Majnun isn't going to like her. There's no way. I'm going to have to rewrite her character somehow or find a way to make this work..." I very seriously did not think Majnun's character would bend to Anne's. He's full of surprises though. He more than bent to met her, he did backflips over and over. ::)
"Never let them tell you I'm predictable!"

Aww! Sheo is adorable. I love the way Agonin explained things to Majnun. He did so in such a way that it wasn't a threat but some friendly advice. It also made sense the way he worded it as it was more of a way of order than of anything else. Maybe that is just me though. Poor Majnun. Insanity is not always fun. I can't wait to read more! Haha. I'm considering actually starting a legacy with the characters I hate. It would be hilarious to me. The summary over the hybrids was excellent. Oh man. Would she be a terrible maniac or would she be like majestic thunder muffin? That is an excellent idea. Some characters seem to write their on destruction though. I hope Alec isn't that stupid.
Sheogorath is! It's so strange seeing my stoic Sheogorath tearful and excitable.
Agonin and Majnun have such an interesting dynamic and I hope I'm able to do their parts justice.
I swear I say that so much, but I don't make these characters. They make themselves and I'm trying so hard to capture their personality in a snapshot to show the world. Agonin sees the order in everything. He speaks in a way that's balanced, and his temperament is very flat and level. He never really experiences extremes (extreme happiness/sadness) that often. Majnun often experiences only extremes. He does whatever he feels is the least predictable option. His voice is unmaintained (most of the time, especially in current-day) and he enjoys the chaos.
Poor Majnun indeed. As much as he does enjoy the chaos, he can't seem to let go of that last fight for sanity. I hope his son doesn't walk down that path of destruction, but he very well could. I thought about trying to reel him in and make him behave, but honestly doing that has only bitten me in the butt (Johanna and Edward, here's looking at you. >.>) so I'm just going to watch and keep my fingers crossed that he makes it out of this without torching his life behind him.

Manjun going fully into the insanity just seems all sorts of terrifying!
Loved the interactions between Anne and Sheo.  Super cute!
Majnun going into insanity like that is terrifying for him. He only associates that insanity with terrible things happening in his life, so I can't say I blame him. Anne is there though, and I'm sure she'll help him navigate it. She's really something else though. She and Sheogorath are so adorable. "Poof!" Hehe! Anne will be such a great mother. I mean, she already is to Majnun's kids.