Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 109462 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Like Mother
« Reply #975 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:28 AM »
Like Mother
Dragon Valley: Present Day
Sheogorath stood numbly on the outskirts of Dragon Valley. His mind was racing. Churning. He bit his cheek and tilted his head slightly. He had tracked the filth, Stephen, all the way here.
His lips twitched. His mind still was not calm. He was insane. Alessandra told him so. He had to overcome what he was. He twisted his wedding ring on his finger. 

His mind was twisted.
“Always prepare yourself. You need to know everything you say before you say it. It’s the only way you can ever be sane.”
Alessandra had taught him that being quiet was the only response. He had to have the right answer every time he spoke. He had to know how she would react before she would react. It made it so difficult to hold lengthy conversations. She told him it was the only way he could ever function in society.
He just could never think fast enough. He could never think of all the possibilities. It was his insanity. That’s what she told him. He wasn’t sure how old he was when he figured out it wasn’t true, but he never forgot, and he couldn’t fix himself. The damage was done
He avoided Mania for the duration of their marriage. He couldn’t think fast enough. He couldn’t form the things he wanted to say fast enough. His father brought her to the Madhouse after she pledged herself to him and he couldn’t think of anything to say to her. Aleccas had though. He flirted and charmed and pursued her. His Saoirse.
Aleccas always had it lucky. He had charm and freedom. He had sanity. He had Mother.

Sheogorath panicked then. Had he lost it? His mind raced as his hands dug into his pockets. His fingers wrapped around the flower and he eased. He pulled the damaged flower out and examined it levelly. His wakeup call.
Anne wasn’t his mother. Alessandra was. He was insane. He was broken and insane. He had nothing left. His father took pity on him. His father arranged the marriage he never dreamed would happen and it was gone. He couldn’t think fast enough to find the words to tell her… what? What would he have told her?
He had far too much he wanted to say now. He only took the paths that he could predict the easiest in accordance with what Alessandra taught him. They were the shortest paths. They made her angry. She was cute when she was angry. The way she clenched her fists and stomped her feet. It was the only way he could figure out how to talk to her without looking like a fool. He couldn’t think far enough to ever tell her anything else.
He could tell her she was beautiful, but where would that go? He had no idea. He couldn’t prepare. She always talked so much and he could never think about what her exact response would be. He couldn’t know the answer. She would be annoyed with him for not being prepared. Alessandra always was. If he didn’t talk. He couldn’t mess up. He thought it was foolproof.
It wasn’t. She wanted more. He couldn’t give her more. He wanted to, but he couldn’t.
His mind was broken. Alessandra told him so. No one wants a broken mind.

That’s where everything fell apart. Mania wanted more, but he was broken. So she found Stephen. She had a child with him.
Sheogorath wasn’t cut out for children. He was broken. He couldn’t be a father. Alessandra told him so. Fate was never part of the picture. He never knew about her. Not until she was older. She turned into a monster. It ate away at him the person Fate had become and he knew it was partially his own fault.
Alice hadn’t been a good mother to her. Sheogorath frowned at the thought. Alice had been only a brief fling - something to dull his senses after he lost Mother. He didn’t care about her, not in the way he did about Mania. Alice got pregnant. He was already gone. She never told him. He never asked. He wasn’t cut out to be a father. Alessandra told him so. Not until he was fixed.
He knew all of these things. These things were truths. He was still angry though. Why couldn’t he say something?
If he just had words to tell her how he felt she never would’ve turned to the garbage to find someone. He knew she wouldn’t have. She was just so loyal. He knew she loved him. He couldn’t understand why she did, but he knew she did. He couldn’t think fast enough.
He couldn’t think fast enough and so he could never tell her that he loved her too.

He always had.
He wanted so badly to not mess things up with her that he messed them up anyways. It was his insanity. He was broken.
He would break Stephen. He would break him. He would melt his mind and show him insanity. Sheogorath was broken. Stephen would be broken too.
Sheogorath held his hands out in front of him and he looked at the flower with missing petals gently before replacing it back into his pocket. He focused his hands in front of him and bent the world around him.

“Poof.” He whispered with a soft smile. Teleportation was what he was best at. He had to be good at it. In order to see Mother he had to evade Alessandra. His teleportations had to be untraceable. That was always his strengths and Mother was always so proud of him. It made him think of her when he did it. He didn’t like it at first - remembering her - but now he clutched to her memory. He could smell the cookies she used to make and hear the music she loved in his ears.

Something was different with the magic in the air today. Something big was going to happen to him. He could feel it.
Teleportation wasn’t his only speciality. Sheogorath’s other talent was in making messes.
Not the kind with paint, like Mother, but the kind that didn’t need to be cleaned up. He made messes out of people. Clean messes. Pleasing both Alessandra and himself in one swoop. He could do something right. He could kill people without making even a small mess. Alessandra never let him make any messes.
He was just never allowed to make messes. Messes were not order. He wanted to make messes. He wanted it badly. It was like an urge he struggled to fight. He had to make messes.
So he made messes of people’s minds. He got very good at it.
On the outside, everything was clean. On the inside, everything was in ruins. Just like him.
Sheogorath could destroy any mind. He could break any person beyond repair. It was what he was good at and he would do it to Stephen.
Sheogorath looked at the Laboratory. It seemed so ordinary on the outside, but it radiated magic. Calypso was here. That was what Mania sensed. Sheogorath smiled sadly.

Her and those cards could see anything. Except his feelings. Of course they couldn’t see those. He clenched his fists. He would destroy Stephen. He would destroy him because he would’ve done anything to not be broken. He would’ve done anything to have had that chance with Mania back.
Mania had ordered Deliro to check the magical situation going on in Dragon Valley. When Sheogorath learned Stephen had relocated to the ancient kingdom he sent his brother home and took his place.
Sheogorath’s rage could not let this rest. Stephen would be broken. Sheogorath would destroy his mind and kill him. Sheogorath cloaked himself with a stealth spell - one he once learned from Quinn and spent the last century perfecting. He felt sadness in him, his lack of talent in stealth is what got her to nickname him Gondir. Rock-Man. He missed her constant chatter, her giggling, and her playful eyes.
He would only have one shot at this. He had to get this just right. He would destroy Stephen for touching his wife. He would break Stephen because he didn’t deserve to be sane.
Sheogorath waited for the opportune moment and snuck into the Laboratory. Sheogorath froze in the front room. White was everywhere.
He could feel his body tensing. He was sucking in a harsh breath. White. White walls. Order. No messes. His mind started churning rapidly. Clean. Perfection. White. Order. No messes. Alessandra was frowning. He disappointed her again. He wanted to water the plants. He watered too much. Dirt was on the white. Dirt was not order. Dirt was messes. Messes were not order. No messes allowed.

Sheogorath was rocking back and forth, his mouth agape as he zoned out. White walls. White floors. White. Order. No messes. He was broken. His insanity. He couldn’t take it any longer.
“Let’s not think about that. You’re very good at magic. Tell me how good you are at magic.” Mother was speaking to him. He had to answer.
“I’m good at magic.” He whispered into the veil that covered him.
“Very good.” She had corrected.

“I’m very good at magic.” He whispered again. It pulled him out of the dizziness. There was no time to think about order. He needed to make a mess. He would make a mess of Stephen. His hand snaked into his pocket and clutched the flower. He pulled it out and it stabilized him. She sang to him, Mother did. She told him that he was good. She calmed him down. He missed her. He missed her so much. Why had he shut her out when she died?
He looked down at the flower lovingly. He would be a better person for her. Once he took care of Stephen he would do whatever it took. The door opened and a gust of wind knocked it from his hands and down the hallway before him. He scrambled after it. He could lose it. He just got it back. It was his wakeup call. It was his reminder.
The flower kept shuffling forward until it stopped at the crossroads of another hallway and Sheogorath stooped to grab it. He clutched it tightly in his hands and eased. He could hear mother singing to him in his head. It was getting louder. He hadn’t let himself hear that song in so long. It was pulling at him, keeping him calm. A door opened suddenly and it was him. Stephen walked from a room and started slowly down the hallway, muttering under his breath. 
Sheogorath could sense him. He was magical? Yes. He was a weak magical source. He would be nothing when Sheogorath was done with him. Sheogorath looked down at the flower with determination. Mother had lead him here. Mother was helping him. The door he had come out of opened again briefly and that was when Sheogorath heard it.
The screams.

It was screams of pure agony. A girl was screaming. He stepped forward, clutching his flower and peered into the window of that very room. She was just a girl. She had neon hair. She was screaming. She was begging. Let her die. Tears were falling from her face. Magic was tearing from her as another girl tortured her.
Sheogorath watched. He looked back down the hallway, watching Stephen disappear, but he could not bring himself to move.
“PLEASE!” The girl threw her head back and screamed. She was repeating it over. A chant. A plea. Kill her now. Just end it.
Sheogorath looked back down the hallway. He could catch Stephen. He could break him.
She was choking on the tears, her screams were fading. The light was fading from her. She was just a girl.
Sheogorath swallowed and looked down at the flower in his hands. Mother had lead him here. The room exploded with lightning. Her magic was unstable. They were torturing her with her own magic.

Mother spoke to him again, repeating a conversation they had once before. “You’re going to be a wonderful father someday, Sheo. I know you will be.”
“You know, not all families are made through blood alone. You pick your family as much as, if not more, than family is picked for you.”

He wasn’t cut out to be a father; Alessandra told him so, but as he looked in at the girl who was screaming in agony he felt something shift in him. He could do something right.
The veil fell off of him as he blew the door off its hinges. He took in the look of the girl holding the remote. She was just a child too. A child torturing another child. It made him angry. Her face flashed from shock to anger. She started to speak, but Sheogorath silenced her, his fingers tapped her forehead with force and in he dug.

Her name was Aurora. He ripped at her mind from the inside. He glided through, knocking down everything she had built up in her head. She started to scream as he tore into her. He stepped forward, putting his arms around her to catch her as she crumbled.
He set her down on the floor where she rocked back and forth, muttering under her breath. Her eyes filled with panic and fear as insanity took hold. He did not break her permanently. He wouldn’t do that to a child. He just stunned her, and she’ll recover in a few days’ time.
Alarms were going off. People were shouting down the hallways as he approached the girl lying numb on the floor. Her lower lip was trembling, she was still barely conscious. She was half machine. A cyborg. Sheogorath had never seen anything like it before in his life. He never knew machines could feel pain.

“Let me die.” She whispered. “Please.” Her voice had no strength. She had given up. They had tried to make her mind a mess. They tried to knock her down. A single tear fell from her eyes and he touched it with his fingertip. He was wrong.
She wasn’t a machine.
She was a girl.
She was a little girl who needed someone to protect her.
He didn’t have time to think fast. He had to answer her. He had to. “No.” He responded then. He would not let her die. He would not. People were coming this way. He sensed them all. This Laboratory wasn’t just a normal Laboratory. This place didn’t belong to mortals. Every person he sensed bore the mark of Calypso.
“Please.” The girl whispered again. She trembled and a sob shook her frail, broken body. Who could do this to a child? Sheogorath was a child of chaos and he still could not fathom why anyone would dare harm a child.
Even his master avoided it at all costs if he could.
Sheogorath flung the door he knocked off the hinges back to the doorway, sealing it shut. He needed more time. He gently lifted her into his arms. He needed to comfort her, somehow. He couldn’t think fast enough. What could he even say? Nothing was coming. People were pounding on the door, trying to break his magical barrier. He was at a loss, when it finally hit him. The words came rushing back to him. “Hush my little swallow, the winter seems so long.” His voice was low, but he remembered the tune exactly. His mind scrambled to find the words. “Curl up my little angel, and listen for spring’s song.” The girl had quieted in his arms, drifting off into a restless sleep. Her face was tear stained and etched with pain. Her body was scarred and broken. She rested her head against him and he continued to hum to her as he slowly stood. He focused his magic as Calypso’s followers shattered the barrier, shouting and bursting into the room after them.

He walked calmly into his teleportation spell with the girl in his arms.

Mpart is responsible for a majority of the screenshots in the Lab. Solstice, Aurora, and Stephen are all her characters. =)
Find Solstice's version of events HERE!

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #976 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »
OMG OMG OMG! Sheo! Man, I love that notbroken guy <3

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #977 on: July 07, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
So Sheo loses Mania but gains a hawt, neon-haired lady to love instead? I certainly am hoping so.
Using the very words I've learned at the feet of the Queen of Mush....(ship, ship, ship)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #978 on: July 07, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
OMG OMG OMG! Sheo! Man, I love that notbroken guy <3

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
@mpart and I love him too! So much! He's so adorable. I'm probably going to post a lot about his time with Solstice.

So Sheo loses Mania but gains a hawt, neon-haired lady to love instead? I certainly am hoping so.
Using the very words I've learned at the feet of the Queen of Mush....(ship, ship, ship)

As much as I love Sheo... I gotta jump in fast!! Solstice is a teen! We're going father-daughter relationship between then. Haha. No mush in that way! Just family mush!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #979 on: July 07, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
Awww, darn! I just feel so unhappy watching Sheo feeling so broken. I want Sheo to find some joy all for himself!
Well, thanks for letting me know right away so I can immediately stop imagining that relationship, lol.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #980 on: July 07, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »
Awww, darn! I just feel so unhappy watching Sheo feeling so broken. I want Sheo to find some joy all for himself!
Well, thanks for letting me know right away so I can immediately stop imagining that relationship, lol.
Oh I love Sheogorath, and he definitely will get joy and happiness in love again... but it's Mania or bust for him. His Saoirse. Solstice is the happiness he gets from getting to be a parent. =) They're really adorable and she's already very attached to him with where we are in their story.
I know not everyone reads both stories, but Solstice is Gwen's daughter (the one who went on a date with Edward). She was kidnapped after a car accident and turned into a cyborg (half robot) during some experimentation at the Laboratory owned by Calypso, the Goddess of the Sea. Majnun is very interested in the Laboratory that Calypso has set up in Dragon Valley because Fate has slowly been building an alliance with her there. Solstice was supposed to be turned into a weapon to be used against Majnun. She's had it very difficult at the lab and she hasn't really been able to be a child or do child things.
Her father was never around, and Gwen was often gone due to the trauma that she endured... it's all a mess. That's why the Reapers/Keepers are here to save the day! ;) ::)
No, but really, I just wanted to make sure no one expected anything romantic between them, it's very far from that in our minds. It would be like Jupiter and Jack starting something up. It's often why I have Sheogorath refer to Solstice as a "child" or a "little girl." Apologies if that wasn't very clear! I hope to make it a lot more clear in coming chapters. =) They're so much fun to write.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #981 on: July 07, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
Maybe Sheo needs a non-romantic relationship to help him realize that he is whole. After all, his relationship with Anne was very healing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #982 on: July 07, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »
Maybe Sheo needs a non-romantic relationship to help him realize that he is whole. After all, his relationship with Anne was very healing.
I certainly hope it helps him. =) He's taking being a parent like a fish to water it seems (we've written a bit ahead). Sheogorath deserves to find some peace in himself. He's so adorable, I feel bad for all he's been through in his life.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #983 on: July 08, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
I don't think it was really unclear that you weren't shipping them. I think Oshizu just wants Sheo to have a happy ending so bad (and Solstice too for that matter) that the idea of them being together was the easiest way to visualise it. Plus, it's hard to think of Solsti as a teen when she's been through so much in such a short time. That would age anyone lol It is going to be brilliant watching Sheo and Solsti learn that they aren't as broken as they think!

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #984 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
I don't think it was really unclear that you weren't shipping them. I think Oshizu just wants Sheo to have a happy ending so bad (and Solstice too for that matter) that the idea of them being together was the easiest way to visualise it. Plus, it's hard to think of Solsti as a teen when she's been through so much in such a short time. That would age anyone lol It is going to be brilliant watching Sheo and Solsti learn that they aren't as broken as they think!
Oh I know! =) I hope it didn't seem like I was jumping on you @oshizu! I just would've hated to give the wrong impression about Sheogorath and Solstice! I really want Sheogorath to get that happy ending and he gets a happy ending with Solstice... it's just not in the way that normally people get happy endings in my story. ;D
Oh man, you have no idea how fantastic Sheogorath and Solstice are together. She's so attached to him (as we write ahead) and he's very protective and paternal over her. It's been so good for both of them.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #985 on: July 15, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
Still Alive!
Hello there, everyone! I've been a bit sparse on my posting unlike usual and I'm just dropping in to say that I'm still alive! I hope all of you are well and I'm sorry that I've been MIA.
Well, I suppose it doesn't seem like I've been MIA much, but in reality I haven't written much for this story in a couple of weeks (save for the duel chapters I've been doing with @mpart). I've been dumping a lot of my time into other related stories that I'm not hosting on this forum as well as the fact that I've rewritten the next chapter that I need post 4 times and it still doesn't feel right. Either way, I'm on my fifth rewrite of it currently and it's going up whether or not I feel 100% satisfied with it.
Anyways, just wanted to give you guys a heads up that I'm still around and alive! =) I hope you all are having fantastic days/weeks/lives.
Much love!
Livvielove

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Tensions Rising
« Reply #986 on: July 17, 2016, 02:40:00 AM »
You know how they say the third time's the charm? Well this is the fifth time. I attempted to write this chapter five times and it just never seemed right. I gave up trying to make it seem right and here we are. XD Bear with me. I just need to get the next generation here and wrap up Majnun and Anne. I can do this! Thanks for hanging in there with me!

~~~ The following chapter has characters written by the lovely @mpart who deserves all the credit for her fabulousness! ~~~

Tensions Rising
Sheogorath stood anxiously as he stared at his feet. Order. Tidy. White. Clean. Messes.
He flinched at his inner thoughts and his gaze turned hesitantly up to Anne - to Mother. She had said there was a baby in her stomach and her stomach was only getting bigger to match. He didn’t want to upset Mother but deep inside everyday brought only more stress and anxiety in his head. He didn’t want the new baby to come. Mother would send him home. Mother wouldn’t need him anymore. The thought made him want to cry.
He never wanted to leave Mother.

His father told him to stay by Mother’s side for the entire time that his father would be away. He told him that it was important that Mother always be safe and that if anyone tried to get in that he should teleport her to the Madhouse. Sheogorath took his job very seriously. Mother needed to be safe always and he knew his father didn’t like leaving her. His father even called in uncle Quinn to help while he went away, so uncle Quinn was napping on the porch. Sheogorath thought it was weird, but apparently he was also keeping Mother safe.
Uncle Quinn was pretty weird though.
Anne began to hum quietly while she worked and Sheogorath repressed a sniffle. He struggled to shake the fear of having to go back to Alessandra… to go back to his mom. If Mother didn’t want him anymore then he would go willingly. He didn’t want to, but he would. He sniffled softly and it caught Anne’s attention this time and she looked at him with concern. “My Sheo, what’s wrong?”
Sheogorath straightened suddenly and began working quickly next to her. He shook his head nervously. Words. He needed words. What would Mother say to him? Should he lie to her? No. Absolutely not. He cannot lie to Mother. He cannot. His mind scrambled and he grew more distressed. What should he be saying? What would be the right thing to say? “I-I-I…” He clenched his fists and swallowed.

Mother’s hand brushed through his hair soothingly and his lower lip trembled. “Hush, little one. It’s ok. Take your time.” She smiled warmly at him. “There’s no rush.”
There was a rush. The baby was coming soon and Sheogorath didn’t want to leave. “M-Mother?”
“Yes, sweetheart?” She stopped what she was doing and gave him her full attention.
Sheogorath shifted under the spotlight anxiously and he wanted to cry. Why couldn’t he just say what he wanted? Why was it so hard? He just wanted to talk to mother. He sniffled again and wiped his nose hastily. He should tell her that he loves her, but… he also needed to ask her if he had to go back to his mom. He fidgeted in place. “W-W-Will… Will I…” He frowned harshly. No That wasn’t right. These words weren’t the right words! Again, he had to try again! “W-W-Will I… Will I have t-to go back… back to my mom... w-when… when the baby is born?”
Alessandra would have punished him for such a horrible response and he braced himself for it.

“Absolutely not, Sheogorath! Why would you think that?” Anne’s voice filled his ears and Sheogorath opened his eyes wide to stare at her - his saving grace.
His eyes began to water and he struggled to find the words again. “I… maybe… you won’t… want anoth-another son when the baby… when he gets here.” He whimpered. He was broken. The new baby wouldn’t be broken. A tear fell from his eyes and he found one solid sentence: one he had been practicing for weeks now. “I don’t want to go back.”
Anne reached down and grabbed his hand gently before lightly pulling him over to the rocking chair. “No, no. Come here, my Sheo.” Her voice was gentle yet firm. She sat down and pulled him into her lap gently and he felt all the tears come rushing out then as he held onto her. Anne looked at him gently and there was no anger in her eyes. Mother was never angry with him. Why couldn’t she be his mom? Why did Alessandra have to be his mom? He sobbed softly and sniffled when Mother wiped his face gently with her hand. “You’re never going back if I can help it, Sheogorath.” She paused and tilted his head up to look her in the eyes. “I will always want you. You are my son and you always will be. No baby will ever change that. Ever.”

Sheogorath threw his arms around her and hugged her tighter. “I-I love you, Mother. I don’t want to leave.”
“I love you too, Sheogorath.” Anne rubbed his back slowly. “I would never make you leave, sweetheart. You will always be my son.”
Sheogorath loved the sound of that, but how could that be? Mother was not his mom. He really wanted her to be. He would’ve done anything for her to be. He swallowed and took in a deep breath. “E-E-Even though we’re… we’re not related?”
Anne made a soft face in thought as she continued to rub his back. “You know, not all families are made through blood alone. You pick your family as much as, if not more, than family is picked for you.” She paused. “I choose you to be my son just as you choose me to be your mother and that’s more than enough for me.”
Sheogorath looked at her with his eyes red from the tears. “I… I always choose you.”
Anne smiled warmly at him. “And I always choose you.” She said softly. Slowly they began to rock in the chair while Anne hummed to him. Sheogorath closed his eyes and committed her song to memory, for this was his safe place.

A few weeks had passed and Mother was put on bedrest. She was not well and was only getting worse and it made Sheogorath scared for her. He would sit with her and she would have him read to her but a lot of times his father would interrupt because Mother would start growing very ill from the baby. Despite this, Mother still wanted Sheogorath to read to her. He wasn’t very good at conversation, but at least with reading the words were already there in front of him. When he wasn’t with Mother, which wasn’t very often, he was spending time practicing his magic with uncle Quinn and his father. That’s where he was that day.

Sheogorath sat in the study opposite of his father. He swung his legs back and forth idly as he bit his lip and waited for his father to say something to him.
Majnun grumbled as he shoved some papers off of his desk and kicked them with his shoes while he chuckled. “Paperwork is awful.”
Sheogorath grinned at his father and nodded. It looked awful. Anything with that many words on it had to be awful. Books he read to Mother were ok, but paperwork required you to think of your own words. He couldn’t even think of that many words at a time, let alone put them to paper.
“How has your practice been, Sheogorath?” Majnun turned his gaze on him then and looked at him curiously.
Sheogorath swallowed and thought of the ways this conversation would go. He would say he’s been practicing and his father might ask him how much. Too far. Too much. Instead of that he could say that things are good, which wouldn’t leave much room for negotiation. That could work, but he might ask him to elaborate. Words were too difficult to prepare. “I… I like magic.”
Majnun smiled softly and laughed slightly. “It’s a good thing you do.” He rested his head on his hand. “Your dear-old-dad is a little magically inclined.”
Sheogorath laughed slightly and closed his mouth. Perhaps that wasn’t meant to be a joke? He wasn’t sure.
Majnun jumped forward then and scowled at the lamp on his desk. “I’m not talking to you!” He swatted at it and it crashed into the ground.
Sheogorath looked at the lamp and then back to his father and finally back to the lamp.
Majnun crossed his arms and looked at Sheogorath then. “Do you have something to say, Sheogorath?”

Sheogorath looked back to him and pursed his lips. “Y-Y-You’re crazy.”
Majnun’s eyes went wide for a moment before he started laughing hysterically. Sheogorath sat, confused as he watched. After a long moment Majnun slowly calmed and nodded. “Yes. Yes I am.” He stood then and stretched before casually knocking the rest of the items off his desk. “Shall we go see what the ex-Genie is up to?”
Sheogorath smiled and hopped down from his chair, following his father down the stairs. Majnun reached the bottom of the stairs and threw open the front door, causing a great fuss when the door swung wide and nailed Quinn in the side.
Quinn, who was laying on the steps outside as he usually would be, opened his eyes with annoyance. “Go away, I’m napping.” He grumbled as he closed his eyes again.

Majnun kicked him idly. “You’re supposed to be guarding the house, you lazy Djinn.”
Quinn’s eyes came open slightly again and he sighed. “I am.”
Majnun stepped on his stomach and over him, eliciting a massive groan from the weight. “You appear to be sleeping.”
“I’m multi-tasking.” Quinn grumbled. Sheogorath smiled and poked Quinn’s leg with his foot. Quinn’s gaze shifted to him then and he stuck out his tongue.
Sheogorath watched his father roll his eyes and wave his hand, sending Quinn standing suddenly while he grumbled in response. “I’ve got a job for you.”
Sheogorath watched Quinn stretch and grin. “Oh? A job? Surely it can’t be anymore fascinating than this one.” Sheogorath was confused until it slowly sank in that Quinn wasn’t being serious. Sarcasm tended to go over Sheogorath’s head a lot, but he was trying and uncle Quinn gave him plenty of opportunities to learn.
Majnun rolled his eyes and sighed. “Alright then, if you’d rather sleep on the job than go undercover for me then I can find someone else.”
“Oh-ho?” Quinn’s eyes lit up. “Why didn’t you say you needed my glorious expertise in the art of disguise? Of course I’m in.”
“Good.” Majnun smiled darkly and Sheogorath stared at him in awe. Alessandra always told him that his father was insane and after this morning’s incident with the lamp Sheogorath was very aware that he was. Yet, his father never let insanity stop him and Sheogorath wanted nothing more than to be just like his father.

He slowly hopped down each step individually while his father and uncle Quinn spoke. When he reached the bottom he turned around and hopped back up all the stairs. “Why Nyx?” Sheogorath looked up as uncle Quinn asked the question. Nyx was the Goddess of the Moon. He studied that with both Mother and his father. His father always scowled when he talked about her so Sheogorath knew she wasn’t a friend.
“She’s acting very… chaotic lately and I’d like to know why.” His father pursed his lips and his eyes caught Sheogorath staring at him. Sheogorath’s eyes went wide and his father merely winked in response before continuing. “I need to know how much trouble she’s going to cause before she causes it.”
Uncle Quinn groaned loudly. “That’s kid stuff!”
Was it kid stuff? Sheogorath’s brows furrowed and he looked at his feet. He was a kid and that was certainly not stuff he did. Or was it? He hadn’t had much time to think about the conversation.
“Bah! Don’t be so whiny. We’re either going to war or a trial - and I need to know which one.”
Sheogorath was still staring at his feet, debating what was actually ‘kid stuff’ versus what wouldn’t be. Finally he let it go and went back to hopping up and down the stairs and ignoring the adult conversation. In the books Mother liked, wars involved people riding in on horses ‘gallantly’ - whatever that meant. He supposed it sounded like a good thing to do though, so perhaps he would do it too?
“Sheogorath?”
He stopped suddenly and looked over as Uncle Quinn disappeared through a portal and his father motioned for him to come back inside. His eyes went wide and he dashed back up the stairs to the space next to his father. Internally, his mind worked out a question. “W-We’re going to… going to war?”

Majnun ushered him inside gently before closing the door behind him. “Perhaps. It’s entirely up to Nyx.”
“Go-Goddess of the Moon?” His arms reached out and he gripped at the bottom of his father’s coat while they walked.
Majnun nodded. “Very good: the wicked witch of the big shiny rock has been stirring up a lot of trouble with the hybrid community lately and it will only end in spilled milk.”
Sheogorath grew confused. “M-Milk?”
Majnun nodded. “Lots of it.”
Milk and the moon? That didn’t make sense. Perhaps it wasn’t supposed to, but Sheogorath could never be sure with his father. He bit his cheek in thought. “C-C-Can I go to war too?”
His father chuckled and patted his back. “You know the Lady Anne wouldn’t be happy if I sent the boy she loves dearly into battle!” He clicked his tongue. “Early master fried. Twisted cantalopian verses…” Slowly Majnun scratched at something on his hand before jolting back to the conversation. “I get the sinking feeling that Nyx won’t play nice like I hope she might. We likely won’t have a war, but a trial.” He sighed.
Sheogorath looked up at his father with curious eyes. “A-Are trials worse than… than wars?”
His father thought about it for a moment. “They’re equally bad in different ways, my son.” He paused. “A war is over faster, typically, but it will put you and the Lady Anne in danger, which I cannot tolerate.” He cleared his throat and they walked back up towards the study. “But a trial will take longer and require me to be away from all of you, which is also something I cannot tolerate.”
“H-How will it be decided?” Sheogorath paused. “Between the two?” He added.

“Well, Sheogorath, if Nyx angers another god in the Pantheon with her chaos, it’ll be war. If she angers the Sisters of Time… it’ll be a trial.”
Shegorath nodded as it sunk in. “There are… there are more gods in the Pantheon than there are Sisters of Time...” Majnun nodded along with him as Sheogorath formed his thought. This was one of the longest conversations he ever held and he felt himself smiling as he spoke. “So… war would be more likely.”
His father smiled warmly at him, hints of pride in his face and Sheogorath beamed. “I certainly hope you’re right, but we will have to see.”
“We will have to see.” Sheogorath repeated, trying to mimic his father’s tone. All of the politics of his father’s work was new to him, but he was very determined to learn. He would be just like his father if he could.

Sheogorath curled up outside the study as he listened to his father arguing back and forth with Malice, the God of the Night. Sheogorath snickered as he heard his father calling him ‘Bat-Boy.’ There was nothing he admired more than how quickly his father could control a room.

“Surely you don’t want to turn this into a war, Majnun.” Sheogorath pressed his ear to the door as he listened. “Keeping that pretty wife of yours safe would prove awfully difficult on your own.”
Sheogorath clenched his fists. Bat-Boy was talking about Mother! Rage filled him. No one talked about Mother like they would hurt her! No one!
Sheogorath wasn’t the only one thinking it and he felt the floor shake with his father’s rage. Sheogorath wanted to watch. He wanted to see his father put this stupid god who threatened Mother back in his place. His father wasn’t afraid of anything or anyone. People feared him, not the other way around. He controlled the room and everyone in it. Sheogorath would be just like him one day. He could keep Mother safe too.
Sheogorath glanced across the hallway to Mother’s door. He should go check on her. Something didn’t feel right about the conversation Malice was having with his father and he had a bad feeling in his gut. He scrambled across the hallway and leaned against the doorway, getting ready to enter when he heard a sickeningly sweet laughter.
That laughter was not Mother’s.

“I apologize. I’m not really in the best shape, otherwise I would have greeted you properly.” Mother’s voice filled his ears and Sheogorath opened the door just a crack to peek inside.
“I should be the one worrying about greeting you improperly. You are Majnun’s wife, after all. What is your name, dear?” The woman who stood in the corner of the room was pretty and frightening. Sheogorath clenched his fists as he remembered seeing her around before when she would come to talk with his father.
Argue with his father, more like. Nyx was here and she was in Mother’s room!
“Anne.” Mother responded gently. “Anne Keeper.” She paused and Sheogorath strained to hear. “I’m afraid if you’re looking for my husband… well, I’m not sure where he went if he’s not in the study. I’m not likely able to help you in the state that I am in. I apologize if this is an inconvenience.”

He was in the study. Why was Nyx not in the study with him? Sheogorath glared and felt anger filling him. This old lady wasn’t where she was supposed to be. His father would be very angry. He needed to get him. He needed to go talk to him right now!
“Just rest, Mrs. Keeper. Don’t worry about me! You need to be in the best of health for your baby, and of course, yourself.” Nyx paused. Her voice was beautiful but it held undertones that didn’t sit well with Sheogorath at all. “Without Majnun’s help in your childbirth the child will likely destroy you. If they are even powerful enough it could be a one-way ticket to the Essence. I would hate to be in your position, Mrs. Keeper, but I do wish you the best of luck. Not every god is kind, after all.”
Mother hesitated and Sheogorath couldn’t take it anymore. He ran across the hallway and stopped before he knocked on the door as he heard the sounds of spells flying off. Majnun was busy too. He would need to take matters into his own hands.

Sheogorath took off running down the stairs at full speed, rounding the corner and looking around the kitchen desperately for something he could use to help mother. He opened the refrigerator and his eyes lit up. The old hag, Nyx, would pay for intruding on Mother’s space.
He climbed back up the stairs and pinned his ear to the doorway. “How kind of you to say, Mrs. Keeper.” Nyx’s voice was growing darker. “Things don’t always work out the same way for gods as they do for mortals.” She paused. “You are a mortal, correct, Mrs. Keeper?”
No. No. NO! Sheogorath focused in front of him and bent the world around him until he teleported into the familiar bedroom. Anne shifted in the bed uncomfortably. “I-”

Sheogorath launched one of his hidden weapons he pulled from the kitchen. The egg flew past Mother and landed directly on the front of Nyx’s dress. “STAY AWAY FROM MOTHER, YOU HAG!” He warned, arming himself with another egg. “Y-You shouldn’t be here!” He cocked the egg back as he prepared to throw it.
Anne looked at him with big eyes and opened her mouth when suddenly Nyx began laughing darkly. She wiped away the egg from the front of her dress and her eyes turned black except for the moon in the center. “Of course, Sheogorath.” Her voice was sweet and she laughed an unhinged laugh. “I’m just waiting for your father and was having a lovely conversation with Anne.” She spoke through gritted teeth as she stepped towards him. “How’s your mother doing, Sheogorath? I could always take you back to her if you would like. I’m sure Mrs. Keeper and Majnun would be fine with it.”
Sheogorath’s eyes went wide. Order. No messes. White floors. Clean. I’m broken. He clenched his hand together and felt the egg cracking in his hand.

“Absolutely not!” Mother’s voice was angry and it pulled him from his trance. He was tempted to flinch, but her anger was not directed at him. Instead, it was directed at the powerful goddess who stood before them. “My son stays here with his father and I, and you have no place in that decision at all.”
The panic Sheogorath felt early subsided as a determined smile grew on his face. He nodded in agreement. Nyx opened her mouth to rebuttal but Sheogorath wouldn’t let her. He couldn’t let her talk back to Mother. He tossed the egg he held as hard as he could. “HAG!”
He looked down at his hands and light grew as he summoned another egg from the kitchen. Slowly he bent the world around him and teleported across the room, releasing the egg at Nyx the second he fully stepped through. He summoned another egg and repeated his teleportation, moving smoothly around the room as he pelted the unwelcome guest. “STAY!” Another. “AWAY!” Another. “FROM MOTHER!” Sheogorath stopped then by the bed next to Mother where he held another egg threateningly.
Nyx let out a long breath. “Of course.” She held up her hands with defeat. “I can wait outside for Majnun.” She took a few steps towards the door, the egg vanishing from her dress with each step and Sheogorath glared at her. She was getting off too easy.
Mother shifted forward then and Sheogorath turned to look at her. She held her arms open and motioned him to come to her. Sheogorath shoved the egg he held into his pocket and ran for her, climbing onto the bed gingerly and hugging her tightly. Something clattered and they both turned suddenly to see Majnun as he pressed Nyx to the wall by her throat.

“Tell me, Nyx, how would you like to die?” His father tilted his head and Sheogorath grinned widely. He would watch his father destroy the intruder. “That is what you came in here for, isn’t it? To die? Because you surely know that I would never let anyone live who upset my wife in the manner you have…” He tightened his grip on Nyx’s neck and Sheogorath only smiled bigger. He wanted to cheer him on. His father was terrifyingly sane and it only solidified his admiration for him. “That’s not even factoring in the fact that my beautiful wife is pregnant with our child. So what will it be, Nyx?”
Nyx scrambled to free herself from Majnun’s grip, but Majnun only chuckled darkly before tossing her across the room like a rag doll.
“I’m sorry, Nyx, I couldn’t hear you.” His father’s footsteps were sure and he walked slowly and tauntingly across the room to her. “I asked how you would like to die.”
Mother tugged on Sheogorath’s arm as she slowly brought herself to the edge of the bed, clutching her stomach tenderly. “Help me stand, my Sheo.” She whispered to him sweetly, and he did.
“I assure you, Majnun… I meant-” Nyx gasped.

His father’s insane laugh boomed and echoed off the walls of the room. “Meant no harm? That’s hilarious, Nyx.” He bent over her and glowered at her. “It doesn’t matter what you meant. I’m still going to kill you.”
“No, Majnun. Enough!” Mother had steadied herself next to the bed while she held her stomach gently. Sheogorath pressed himself to her side. He would not let any harm come to her.
“I’m sorry Anne.” His father didn’t look their direction. “I will not let her live.”
Yes, you will.” Sheogorath peeked up at Mother with wide eyes. He had never seen her so angry before. It was a bit frightening at first, but after a moment he felt himself smiling. “You will let her live, my sweet.” She put a gentle hand on Sheogorath’s back and he pressed his face back into her swollen stomach. “Do you hear that, Nyx? You can keep your life. You can keep your life because I believe in second chances, but I must tell you…” He felt Mother run a hand through his hair sweetly and he squeezed her tighter. “If you ever threaten to take my child away from his father and I again, I swear to you that death will come for you faster than you could ever dream of running. I believe in mercy, but mercy is not infinite.” Anne pointed for the door. “Now get out of our house.”

Suddenly his father was beside him as well, his arm gently around Mother and him. Nyx scrambled to her feet and made for the doorway when his father spoke. “Oh, and Nyx?” Nyx stopped in her tracks, but she did not look at them. “One step out of line and you’ll have a war on your hands that you don’t want to fight. This extends to Malice too. So go, run and hide behind him like I know you will, but think very carefully about your next steps before you take them - because I will be watching and waiting for you to fall.”
Nyx didn’t respond and instead she walked out of the room and through a portal of her own. Mother let out a long breath after Nyx disappeared and she smiled. “Well, that was exciting.”
Sheogorath grinned at her as he fished into his pocket for the egg he put there. “Eggs!” He cheered.
Majnun’s brow furrowed. “Where did you get those eggs, Sheogorath?”
Sheogorath smiled innocently as he teleported the egg back to the refrigerator. “I… I… I kept Mother safe!”

Anne laughed warmly. “That you did, my little hero.” She looked between him and his father sweetly when her eyes went wide and she jolted. Her arms wrapped around her stomach as pain crossed her face. Sheogorath was shoved back as his father stepped forward, his arms around Mother securely as she breathed raspy breaths. “It’s too soon!” She whimpered. “Majnun!” Her eyes held fear in them and Sheogorath felt panic filling him.
“Mother!” He cried.

His father’s head jerked towards him and back to Anne as he gently brought her to laying down on the bed. She breathed harshly and her face was contorted with pain.
Majnun turned to him suddenly and held his shoulders. “Sheogorath, I need you to go get Ms. Daisy right now. Do you understand?”
Daisy was Mother’s friend. She was married to a hybrid. A Death Keeper that his father kept hidden from the impending war. Sheogorath felt so proud of himself when he had figured it out on his own.
Sheogorath nodded, tears welling in his eyes. “What’s wrong with Mother?” He watched Mother double over with pain as she clutched her stomach.
“Majnun... I-” Her breathing grew more panicked and she screamed softly.
“Go! Quickly!” Majnun ordered him.

Sheogorath’s eyes went wide and he nodded, teleporting from the room as fast as he could. The next few days would be some of the longest in his entirely life.

**Nyx is a character of mpart who is awesome and she let me borrow her for this chapter. Nyx is the Goddess of the Moon, to be totally clear, and she's drop-dead gorgeous. Anyways, mpart is responsible for her dialogue and her gorgeousness!**

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #987 on: July 17, 2016, 07:07:05 AM »
New chapter! Yay! You go, Sheo! Show Nyx not to mess with a Keeper!

Wait... Did I hear correctly? Other RELATED stories that aren't hosted here?!? Where, where, where?!?!?! PM me please and thank you!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #988 on: July 17, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
New chapter! Yay! You go, Sheo! Show Nyx not to mess with a Keeper!

Wait... Did I hear correctly? Other RELATED stories that aren't hosted here?!? Where, where, where?!?!?! PM me please and thank you!
Thank you! Sorry it took so long to get this chapter up! Oh man it was trying to write. XD Almost out of the woods.

YES! There are other stories out there. Currently one I'm sharing, and one that's heavily in the works that I won't release to the public until I've got a few more chapters under my belt. I do have pictures and excerpts though for those who are interested in the one coming out relatively soon. I'm not really the ones off the forum at the moment because I'm preoccupied in this thread (clearly), but I'm finally ready to share a few of them.
PMing you right now.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #989 on: July 17, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
Awwwwww! Thanks for the mention.  :) I love little Sheo so much. He is Anne's REAL son in my opinion. I enjoyed writing Nyx's dialogue a lot, she is such an interesting character. Oh Quinn. I'm worried that his sass is going to get him into too much trouble in the end.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #990 on: July 17, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
Awwwwww! Thanks for the mention.  :) I love little Sheo so much. He is Anne's REAL son in my opinion. I enjoyed writing Nyx's dialogue a lot, she is such an interesting character. Oh Quinn. I'm worried that his sass is going to get him into too much trouble in the end.
Of course! You help me immensely when I get stuck. That dialogue with Nyx saved my chapter from being dumped in the trash... again. ::)
Sheogorath is so adorable, ugh. I promise I'm working on Alec. I'll get through to him one way or another. He's not getting away with how he treats Mary.
Quinn does need to watch his sassy-self. He's too pretty to die though. ;) The Joker may have something to say to him though if he doesn't get himself together. XD

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #991 on: July 17, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
PM received and replied to ;D and, now, I am on my way to go stalk read the rewrite... I should come up for air at some point, since I also have to finish this benighted cloning challenge

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #992 on: July 17, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
@LivvieLove

I would never have guessed that you had struggled so much with this chapter if you hadn't mentioned it!
I thought the chapter was very nicely balanced--Sheo acting his usual insecure self but not excessively paralyzed; I'm so proud of his braveness and found his admiration for Majnun quite adorable.
Majnun was awesome as usual--he looks gorgeous in the screenshots and I found his care for Sheo very touching and a little surprising.
Of course, Anne would choose to spare Nyx. Her love for Majnun and Sheo is vast as the ocean but her compassion for the unworthy will no doubt prove her downfall.

I really loved this chapter!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #993 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »
PM received and replied to ;D and, now, I am on my way to go stalk read the rewrite... I should come up for air at some point, since I also have to finish this benighted cloning challenge
Dig into those glorious... four chapters. XD Working on the fifth. I swear. XD I just finally got back into a Majnun/Anne swing so I'm taking full advantage of it.

@LivvieLove

I would never have guessed that you had struggled so much with this chapter if you hadn't mentioned it!
I thought the chapter was very nicely balanced--Sheo acting his usual insecure self but not excessively paralyzed; I'm so proud of his braveness and found his admiration for Majnun quite adorable.
Majnun was awesome as usual--he looks gorgeous in the screenshots and I found his care for Sheo very touching and a little surprising.
Of course, Anne would choose to spare Nyx. Her love for Majnun and Sheo is vast as the ocean but her compassion for the unworthy will no doubt prove her downfall.

I really loved this chapter!
Thank you, @oshizu! That's very kind! I did struggle a lot with this chapter because my mind is working it's way forward in the present! I'm back into the Majnun and Anne groove (mostly, when I'm listening to the right music, that is).
I love Sheogorath and doing the chapter from his perspective was both awe-inspiring and heartbreaking. He's getting stronger and I can see it. He really, really loves his father and I think it's the most adorable thing.
<3 I'm glad you're still in love with my darling Majnun. He's pretty amazing. XD The one problem with telling it from Sheogorath's perspective was we missed a lot of the story from Majnun's perspective and how much of a good father he is. Ah well, it's nothing new to you, I'm sure. ;)
Anne is too nice to everyone (shakes head) but I still love her to pieces.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Tuiel
« Reply #994 on: July 18, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
Hello there! This is another collaboration piece between mpart and myself. =) Hope you guys enjoy! Solstice is entirely @mpart's character and she also gathered all the pictures for this chapter! Find Solstice's version of events HERE!

Tuiel
Dragon Valley: Present Day
Sheogorath hadn’t been home since he had his painful revelation. It was still a little out of sorts from when his emotions shook the house, but it would work.
He held a fragile soul in his arms. A little girl who needed help.
The house came to life as he walked in the door and carried her into the spare room. With a gesture of his hand the dust vanished from the room and he placed her down gently on the bed. She jolted awake at the transition and began screaming again, she clutched herself tightly. “MAKE IT STOP!” She screamed.

Sheogorath stood stunned. They had made a mess in her head. They made a mess in a child’s head and it made him angry. He wasn’t good at comfort. He wasn’t good at soothing or healing. He wasn’t good at cleaning messes. He was just good at making them. He held his hands out gently, hesitantly. He thought of calming thoughts. He wanted her to feel the calming thoughts. He wanted to comfort her. He projected his thoughts onto her as she writhed on the bed. It seemed to work. She quieted again, drifting back off to sleep on the bed and Sheogorath slowly let up on the bubble spell of comfort.
He swallowed and stared at her. She needed help. He wasn’t cut out for helping people. Mother was the person who comforted people. Mania was the person who fixed problems and cleaned messes. He just knew how not to make messes, and how to make them cleanly. He didn’t have anyone else to turn to. He would have to help her.
He fidgeted with his hands before stepping forward hesitantly. His fingers wiggled with his anxiety. He had never gone into someone’s head to fix them. He wasn’t sure he knew how. He sucked in his cheeks and bit them while gently reaching out to her face. He brushed a strand of hair from her face and sadness filled him. She was so young. She was so young to feel this much pain. The thought steeled him. He gently pressed his fingers to her head and entered.
Her name was Solstice Labelle. She was a mind reader. He pushed into her past. She had a twin brother named Eric Labelle. She met her father only briefly, but she only ever wanted happiness for him. She danced. Her mother was gone for a lot of her childhood. She raised someone from the dead once. She wanted to help people. There was a car accident. The car accident shook her. There was more pain attached to the car accident. He would start there.
He slowly blurred away that memory. This wasn’t so hard. He couldn’t make this better, but he could take away some of the bad. It wouldn’t be permanent, but just enough to not bombard her all at once. He could give it back to her later. Slowly, perhaps. The way to break someone’s mind was to take everything down all at once; the mind couldn’t recover. If it was done slowly, the mind could recover and grow stronger.

Sheogorath nodded. That is what he would do. He would make her stronger. He was broken, but she didn’t have to be. He went further. The white walls tortured her memories too. He smiled sadly. That was one thing they agreed on. He continued forward. There was pictures of Stephen’s face and pain surrounding them. Sheogorath gritted his teeth. Rage was filling him. He hated that man, and this only made it worse.
He pulled himself back in. If he wasn’t careful he would do more damage to the poor girl. He refused to do any damage to her. He would fix her.
No. Fix wasn’t the right word. Sheogorath couldn’t fix anything. He would mend her. That was better. He would take away the pain for now, and he would mend her. He blurred away that memory of the monster’s face. It wasn’t just that once though. It was multiple times. The man toyed with her remote control. The man caused her pain. The man yelled at her and brought her to her knees over and over. Stephen wasn’t a man. Stephen was a monster. Sheogorath clenched the fist that wasn’t touching her face. He sucked in a breath through gritted teeth and began to blur away the memories. This was wrong. This was all wrong. These people were wrong.
He would help. He had to try.
He pushed forward, despite it being difficult. She trained hard. She danced. Dancing brought her joy. He would leave that. She needed joy. She needed successes to repair her mind. There was a woman, Gladys. He dug into that memory. Another threat. Another person with her remote. Another point where they brought her to her knees for their own enjoyment. He blurred it away.
He pushed forward. The Legends. August and Kyle. He blurred it away. Then there was the girl. Aurora. The child who was torturing another child. He had messed with her mind. She had pretended to be her friend. She was pretending to be a friend. Pretending to be sorry. Sheogorath was getting angrier. He blurred that away too.
He would not leave phony friendships to help her build her mind up on lies. He dug in deeper. They had given her a power addiction. Those monsters inflicted an addiction for power on a child. She would always struggle with it. She would always be drawn to steal magic from others. What had they done? He couldn’t blur that away. It would come back. She needed to know why she thirsted for power. He would have to leave that memory alone and it made him furious.
He seemed to be almost through, but things were only getting darker. He pushed forward and she was tangled up in vines, suffocating. He blurred it away. He kept blurring and blurring at this point. The operating table. The white room. The lightning. “Please, let me die.”
Sheogorath threw himself back from her and shoved everything off the dresser behind him with a scream. He was too angry. He should’ve burned the lab down as he left. This was just one girl. What else could they be doing in there? Sheogorath steamed as he clutched the dresser. He left far too many of them untouched.

Solstice whimpered on the bed and Sheogorath jerked around suddenly. He would help. He had to try. He approached her again with determination and dug into the last memory. There was an unbearable amount of pain attached to this one. This was the moment that broke her. He couldn’t let that stand. He focused hard and slowly blurred that memory away until it was hardly there at all. Her mind had grown quiet now that he had suppressed the negative emotions from her past. He didn’t get everything, but he didn’t need to.
He looked down at her and frowned. Her clothing was burned and scars were showing on her body from where the magic had struck her. He slowly pulled the blankets up and over her. She would rest now. She would rest and recover, and he would help her mend.
He brought in a chair from the dining room and sat down next to her bed. She would ask him questions when she woke, and he needed to be ready to answer them. Even now he might not have time to think of all the answers. He needed to start now.
He stared at her gently and watched her sleep. “I will protect you, Tuiel. I promise.”
Tuiel. It was a Nymph name. It was one he learned when thinking of all the things he could talk about with Mania. Things he never got the chance to say.
He would be ready for this though. He would take care of Solstice. Mother had brought her to him and he would find some way to help her rise stronger from this.

Sheogorath thought himself broken, but she didn’t have to be.

Sheogorath had sat for hours waiting. His mind played over each individual conversation the girl laying in his house would want to have with him. She would have so many questions and he had to be ready for each one. His fingers tapped along his leg and he kept his eyes levelly on her and the wall behind her. She might attack him when she woke too. It would be understandable after everything she’s been through. He was lost in a strand of conversation they might have when her body jolted. She was waking up. He came out of his conversation trance and looked at her, waiting anxiously for anything she would throw at him.

Her eyes slowly came open and hesitantly met his. He could see the fear, the questions, the anxiety and the pain. She struggled to move - she was still too weak. She slowly seemed to gather herself, eyeing him cautiously. Tears started to fall from her eyes.
Sheogorath wasn’t good at tears. He shifted slightly, unsure of if he should start the conversation or if it was best to wait for her. He preferred starting conversations, he could control them that way and prepare better for them. He went through all the scenarios in his head of why she might be crying. She opened her mouth and stunned him. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered.
Sheogorath’s eyes went wide. This wasn’t part of the conversation. His eyes shifted around the room and back to her as he struggled to find something to say. This girl had been tortured and she was apologizing? He needed to say something. He needed to pull himself together and say something, but all he could do was stare for a long minute and the girl’s tears seemed to get worse. He started to feel panic rising in him. He debated moving to sit on the bed with her. Then he debated leaving the room. What could he even say to that? He wasn’t ready for this. He couldn’t think fast enough.
“No.” He frowned. That was close enough, wasn’t it? Not good enough. That wasn’t good enough. He cursed himself and looked at her sadly. “Don’t. Don’t apologize.” He was fidgeting with his hands while he stared at her and he took in a deep breath. “I… I should.” He bit his cheek as he struggled to find the words. He couldn’t let her go on like this. He couldn’t let her think it was her. He had let that happen with Mania. Mania left him. This girl, Solstice, needed him. He needed to find the words and he needed to let her know it wasn’t her fault. “I’m not good at… at conversation. I can’t think fast enough to prepare.” He frowned. “But this isn’t your fault. I’m sorry.” 
The girl’s face shifted into something Sheogorath wasn’t used to. She seemed to understand. Was she insane too, like he was? Her eyes were wide and glassy from the tears. “Words are deadly. I can’t sa-prepare myself either most days.” She closed her eyes then and seemed to be bracing herself. Her mind sifted through some thoughts and Sheogorath felt his own mind scrambling as he thought about what she might say next. “Thank you. I k-know you were probably stuck with me. I’m s-sorry for causing you any trouble but I just want to say thank you.”

Sheogorath felt sadness. He shifted in his seat. He was not good at handling sadness. She was thanking him. The way you answer someone saying thanks was by responding with ‘you’re welcome.’ Alessandra told him so. She scolded him with his manners. He gritted his teeth. He couldn’t respond that way. She was being tortured. She was just a child. He needed to throw out his rulebook. He needed to think like Mother would. He shook his head then. “You are not trouble.” No. that wasn’t right. He clenched his fists in reflex. Conversations were hard. “No. I mean, you did not cause any trouble. They were hurting you. You don’t deserve to hurt. So I stopped them.” He nodded. It was getting easier.
He took in another breath and nodded again. “I can answer questions.” He swallowed. “I mean, I can answer any questions you might have.” Something dawned on him then and he tensed. “I… I took your memories from you. They were hurting you. They made a mess and that was wrong. I… I took those memories and made them go away. It’s not permanent. I… I just wanted to help.” People didn’t like when their heads were messed with. He braced himself for the worst. He wouldn’t give back those memories yet. He refused. He wouldn’t let her crumble under the mess they made. He wouldn’t let them break her mind. She was just a child. He could help her. He would help her. He would protect her.

Sheogorath watched as she processed the information, but her face did not seem angry nor upset. Solstice looked at him with grateful eyes and he was, again, stunned. Perhaps he was misreading her. He waited cautiously as she slowly wiped away the tears that had fallen from her face. Slowly she pulled herself upward, wincing as she did so. His eyes went wide, he needed to say something. She wasn’t ready to move yet. She didn’t need to go anywhere. He wasn’t going to let her leave yet. She needed to rest. He got lost in his thoughts briefly until she struggled to get out of bed. Say something. He opened his mouth but by the time he did she had reached over and started to hug him. Her legs were still weak and they struggled under her weight.
Something in him told him he needed to react, to get her back into bed to rest, but he found his arms reaching around her and hugging her back. He pulled her off of her feet and let the girl he found rest against him in the chair. Her face rested in the crook of his neck and he could feel her start to cry again. Mother rubbed his back when he cried, it made him feel better. Slowly he began to rub her back with one of his hands that held onto her safely. He bit his cheeks and searched for something meaningful to say to comfort her. “Everything will be ok.” How could she believe that? She had been tortured. He needed to assure her of it. “I promise.” He added. “I won’t let you be broken like me.” He absolutely wouldn’t.
She cried into him and if there was ever a doubt of her humanity it was gone in that moment. She had the parts of a machine but she was still just a girl. She hugged him in the same way he hugged Mother once: like he was the only stable thing in the world. “Why are you so nice to me? I don’t deserve it.” She whispered into his shoulder. She swallowed back tears to speak to him as she processed where she came from. “I think I might have deserved it. You aren’t broken. Broken people don’t feel.”
He stared forward and kept rubbing her back slowly. The motion was almost calming for him as well as her. He spared a glance down at her but it only made him feel sadder. How could he make this better? He frowned. If only Mother were alive. He could take Solstice to her. Mother wasn’t magical, but she could fix anything. She could make everything better. Mother wasn’t here, though. He needed to make everything better for this girl. Mother lead him to find Solstice. “Some people deserve to be tortured.” He said slowly, “but you are not one of them. You haven’t done anything to deserve that.” He closed his eyes. He needed to tell her so many things.
He pictured Mania’s pained face. Solstice was right. Words were deadly - but silence was deadlier. “I make messes for a living.” He slowly opened his eyes to the wall. “I make messes out of people and their minds. If a person is deserving I break them. If my master orders me, I break them.” He frowned. His master would never order him to break a child. She was too young for this. “You did nothing to deserve this. Nothing at all. We’ll make it better though.” He paused. Words were so difficult. “I am not good at cleaning messes, but I will help. I think… I think I was meant to find you. I will take care of you.” He let out a nervous breath. He could do this.
He could feel her relaxing with him slowly. It made him feel better, at least a little. He could help. She was calming down. She thought for a moment before speaking. “Thank you. I don’t think you are broken because you know what broken people look like.” He felt a small smile pulling on his lips awkwardly. Mother thought that way too. She smiled back at him, despite it hurting her. “You aren’t broken.” He felt his heart warm up at the thought. She reminded him of Mother. Mother always saw the best in people. Solstice went back to resting against him. “What is your name?”
“What’s your name, little one?” He could hear Mother’s voice in his ear. Yes. He smiled at the thought. She was very much like Mother.
They had finally hit questions that he could answer for her. “Sheogorath.” His voice was measured and level. He practiced this in his head. He was ready. “Sheogorath Keeper.” He paused, his face shifting emotions to something closer to anxiety again. “Your name is Solstice. I learned it in your head.” He didn’t want to hide all that he had seen. He frowned slightly, “your magic is still recovering from earlier. You should rest.” He slowly stood, her still in his arms and he carefully placed her down on the bed again.

“You are a mind reader then?” She looked at him with big eyes. She searched for understanding in his face, hoping to find a like-mind in him, perhaps. He was not like she was though; she had it much worse off than he did, and it was reflected when she further spoke. ”Does it hurt for you to be in large crowds?”
He thought on the question. He supposed it would hurt if minds were constantly invading his own. His master struggled with it on a constant basis - granted, that was insanity and not other minds. He could hardly be the understanding person she hoped for. He often disappointed people though, so it was not a new feeling for him. “Not exactly.” He paused for a long moment in thought. “I can read minds, but I am not as you are.” He pursed his lips, pausing again. “I… I am the son of someone very, very powerful.” He nodded, yes, this was a good start. “Powerful enough that I can do anything with my magic, including reading someone’s mind.” He fidgeted again while he thought about what to say next. “While I… I cannot understand what it would be to have everyone’s thoughts in my own head, I would imagine it would be very painful to be in crowded spaces.” He stared at her now, trying to gage her reaction.
Solstice gave him a bright smile and her face lit up with curiosity. “How fascinating. Would that make you Majnun’s son then due to your excess power?” Her lips pursed slightly, as she seemed surprised by her own curiosity.
Sheogorath himself was surprised as well. His eyes grew a bit wider, but his lip twitched into his usual, strange smile. He nodded. There was a new feeling that was growing inside of him, but he couldn’t place it. It felt so strange to have someone look to him with fascination and wonder. “You are of Fate’s lineage.” He noted. It wasn’t a question but merely a musing in his head. “Yes. I am Majnun’s son with Alessandra.” He closed his mouth suddenly, saying her name aloud felt strange. He swallowed and frowned. Saying her name reminded him of his childhood. He moved his gaze to the bedpost, staring at it for a long moment before he snapped himself out of his trance.
He had to be present. He had to be helpful. He was surprised that her questions were more aimed at him, rather than her own predicament. His brow furrowed with worry, could he have accidentally messed something up when he was trying to help her? He had never done this before. He should’ve thought harder about it, but he already moved so slowly.

He watched the girl and she nodded. She seemed fairly knowledgeable, he wondered if she knew Fate was his daughter. She smiled regardless. "So, you are Majnun's son. That must be interesting." Her thought was cut off and Sheogorath looked at her with concern. She closed her eyes tightly, her face was pained.
"Are... are you ok?" He sat up straighter. Did he miss something in her head? Did he do something wrong? He was just trying to help. He stared at her intensely. There had to be something he could do. Anything. He leaned over hesitantly and touched her hand, his stare unwavering. "What's wrong?"
She tensed momentarily before relaxing. She let out a breath, somewhat relieved. “Sorry.” Her voice was quiet. “It’s just something that happens every now and then.” Her face was emotionless with traces of confusion. It was a feeling attached to a memory that was no longer there. Sheogorath could sense it.
The conversation could go in so many different directions at this point. Sheogorath’s head was spinning. “You… don’t need to apologize to me.” He hesitated. “For anything.” He eventually added. He took in a breath and his scattered thoughts slowly pulled themselves together. “You can ask me questions.” He paused suddenly, there was more he had to say. What did he need to say? He needed to think faster. If he said something it changed the conversation though. Adding more words changed the conversation. Omitting words changed the conversation. “I’m here to help you.”
She fidgeted as she sat there, frowning. “I don’t think I’m ready to know what happened in there.” She let out a sigh as she stared at her hands. There was a question at the edge of her thoughts that wanted to be spoken. She finally took in a deep breath and met his eyes with hesitation. “Can you sing to me again?” Her voice shook just slightly as she spoke the question carefully.
Sheogorath’s eyes became wide. She had heard him singing to her. She wanted him to do it again. “The… the song from earlier?” He paused and smiled at her. “Mother used to sing that song. It made me feel better when I was sad.” Words came easier now when he spoke about Mother. Singing was another story though. He certainly wasn’t Mother. “I… am not Mother, but I can try.” He stood up and adjusted the chair closer to her. There was something childlike in her eyes - the child that never got a chance to be. It was something he understood well. His childhood started and ended with Mother. Alessandra wanted to fix him. Everything he did was wrong.

He held her frail hand in his own and closed his eyes. He could hear Mother’s voice in his head. “I will always be proud of you.”
This was one thing he was going to do right. He would take care of Solstice.
“Hush my little swallow,
the winter seems so long.
Curl up my little angel,
and listen for spring's song.”

He slowly rubbed her hand with his thumb, transferring some of his magic to her quietly. She would need it to help regain her strength. He couldn’t heal, but he could at least give her some magic to slowly regenerate with.
“The darkness can surround us,
and take away the light.
But you shall fly us forward,
yes, you will end the night.”

He thought back on her memories. Those monsters gave her a power addiction. It would haunt her for the rest of her life unless he found a way to cure it. He would do it. He wasn’t good at fixing messes, but he would do whatever it took.
“Hush my little swallow,
spring is around the bend.
The dawn is coming quickly,
you have brought on winter's end.”

In some ways, Solstice reminded him of Mother; yet in more ways, she reminded him of himself. Mother believed things happened for a reason. It was one of the things he took from her. He was meant to meet Solstice, and their lives were entangled now.

Sheogorath sat in a chair by the stairs, his eyes focused forward. He could sense Solstice’s discomfort in the room he kept her in. He hadn’t wanted to do this. She wasn’t prepared for this addiction they inflicted on her. He had to find a way to help her. There was supposedly no cure to a power addiction. She was too young. It made Sheogorath sad. He clenched his fists as she started to yank on the doorknob. He could feel her trying to break out from his magic. She went for the windows next before returning to the door.

There was no way out. He focused hard on the ground in front of him. He couldn’t just wait for her to meltdown like this. What could he do though? He couldn’t help anyone. He wasn’t Mother. He could barely cobble together sentences. He would only make things worse for her. She would sense his magic and it would hurt her. He only ever hurt people. He closed his eyes slowly and let out a long breath, and that was when she started screaming. “Let me out, Sheogorath! Let me out!” She was bashing holes into the door, but the door was repairing itself under his orders. “I will kill you, Sheogorath!” It wasn’t a threat. It was a cry. A painful one. It wasn’t something she wanted.

The addiction wanted it. She didn’t. The turmoil in her voice caused him to stand suddenly. He would try something. He would help.
He was at the door in a minute, and he could feel her still beating into the other side. He closed his eyes and apologized to her in his head before sending a shockwave through the door. It bought him just enough time. He opened the door then and shut it behind him, sealing him inside with her. She was scrambling to get to her feet from the shockwave knocking her over and he slowly held out his hands in front of him, hoping to pacify her. He tried to think of something to say, but nothing felt meaningful enough. He scrambled in his head, searching for something. “Everything will be ok, Tuiel.”
Her eyes were fogged with things she could not control as she stared at him. Her eyes narrowed slightly with suspicion. She hissed, “give me it!” Her hands slowly formed fists. He knew what she wanted. She wanted the magic that pulsed in his blood. It was a beacon to her. There was rage in her face and she lunged forward towards him, scratching and trying to get around him - trying to get to the door. Sheogorath let her fight against him before he shoved her back firmly.
He held her tightly at arms length, his fingers holding her shoulders. She was still weak from her time in the lab. She needed more time to recover, but her mind would not give her that peace. He stared directly into her eyes. This wasn’t Solstice that stared back at him. He repeated a mantra in his mind. He wasn’t capable of forming words quickly enough to matter, but it didn’t matter with Solstice. She was in his head. He could feel her presence there and he didn’t kick her out. So he willed her to read his mind and his mind only. “I’m here to help you. You’re safe with me. You’re stronger than this. I’m here for you.”

She stopped struggling then and she crumpled into his grip. Her eyes lit up with pain and anger. “You were never there for me. You were never there for her. You left a note and ran off, thinking you were better than her. I found it and I hope she kills you. I hope you die an agonizing death because you deserve no less and far more. Have you ever considered maybe she isn’t the ‘monster’ but you are? No, you didn’t. You were so caught up in being the savior for everyone that you had to twist them and make sure they stumbled. I hate you. I hate what you did.”
She clutched herself then as she rocked back and forth. It was clear she wasn’t talking about him. She was recalling a memory he hadn’t blurred. She wasn’t seeing him. She was seeing the man she called her father. He slowly lowered her to the ground and kneeled with her. “Don’t lie. Don’t try to. I know what you all think. You are all just waiting for something terrible to happen to me and you aren’t trying to help me. You don’t care."
All he could see was Alessandra. Her disappointment. Her scowl. He closed his eyes and shoved it out. He didn’t have time to think about this. He had been wallowing in his own misery for four hundred years. No more. He was not a child anymore. He didn’t need help anymore. Solstice did. He could help her. He would help her. She was too young to feel this way, but he would help her. He pulled her up against him and hugged her tightly. “You’re safe with me, Tuiel.”
The man she thought about had wronged her in the same way Alessandra had wronged him. The difference was he could do something about it. He would do something about it. He slowly began to transfer magic to her. He would help her keep the addiction at bay for now, but it would be back. He would help her. She will be ready for it next time. Until then, he hugged her close to him and gave her his magic to soothe her. He started to hum under his breath - humming Mother’s song.
He would take care of her in the same way Mother cared for him. “Hush my little swallow, the winter seems so long.” He rubbed her back gently, slowly letting her take from his magic - his power. “Curl up my little angel, and listen for spring’s song.” He continued humming.

She had stopped resisting him completely, awareness seemed to be returning to her. She began sobbing heavily into him, hugging him tightly now. She pressed her face into his shoulder and gave into the wave of emotions that pulled on her.
“Everything… is ok.” He spoke slowly to her. “Everything… will be ok, Tuiel.” He used the name again. It was a combined word in Nym, much like Gondir - the nickname Mania had given him when they first met. ‘Tuen’ was the Nym word for strength, and ‘Siel’ was the word for daughter. The words, which normally cause him trouble to think of, came together so easily for her. She was strength. She was so young, but she was strong. He wouldn’t let her forget that.
It was but a moment before he could feel her slowly calming down against him. He wondered if he should comfort her further when her voice interrupted his thoughts. Quiet and hesitant, she pieced together a phrase. “Thank you, Ada.”
His eyes became wide briefly. He had not expected her to understand Nym let alone…
No one had ever called him ‘father’ before, or anything like it. Did she still think he was someone else? No. She couldn’t. She didn’t know Nym. He had been inside of her head. How did she learn it? He felt himself smiling then. It didn’t matter. The word made him feel indescribable. He looked down at the girl he had rescued and made a vow in his head that he would keep her safe. Alessandra could think whatever she wanted of him. It didn’t matter. He could be a better parent than Alessandra. He could be like Mother. She believed in him, and he believed in Solstice.
He had let her continue to calm down before he spoke. “Don’t… You don’t need to… to thank me. I’m… here to help you. I will be here to help you. You…” He focused on piecing together what he wanted to say. “You won’t have to… do this alone. I promise.” He would keep that promise. As long as she wanted his help, she had it.
Her eyes went big as they searched him for understanding and acceptance. Anxiety covered her face then and her lip trembled as she whispered her worries to him. “What if I accidently hurt you, Ada? What if I do something stupid?” She looked at him with fear and sadness in her eyes. The little girl in his arms was so afraid of hurting everyone else around her. She wanted to exist as little as possible. She only ever wanted to make people happy and please them. He could feel it in his gut, and the time he spent slowly blurring away the pieces of her memories confirmed it.
He had been that way once, and he remembered exactly how Mother soothed him. He smiled at her very gently. “Don’t worry about that.” He paused, collecting his thoughts. He needed to say the perfect thing. He would make her fears dissipate as Mother had his own. “You won’t hurt me.” Mother had directly countered his fears, so he directly countered hers. “So long… so long as you want me to, I…” His face became firm as he focused on putting together the words. The more he spoke the harder it was, but he couldn’t stop now. He needed to get this right for her. He would get this right for her. “I… would like to help you - s-so long as you wish for it.” It would have to do. He was not a wordsmith like his brother, Alec.
She began to cry again, and there was a fear in Sheogorath that he hadn’t said the right thing, yet there was relief in her eyes. Her mind seemed to be processing the information he gave her before she quietly spoke. “Can I stay here? Can I stay here with you?” Her eyes met his again, the same desire for approval and understanding in them.
He nodded. It was faster for him that way. Normally he would wait to process more. He would wait and look for all the possible questions and answers, like Alessandra always told him to, but he decided to take a risk this time. He had never before pursued a conversation without thinking about all the possibilities first, but he felt more confident now.
If he could mimic Mother enough, he could do this. “You can stay for as long as you’d like.” With the hand he wasn’t using to support her against him he closed his fist and conjured a cloth. He handed it to her so she could wipe her face if she needed. The longer she stayed with him the more he could help her - but he had to start somewhere. “I… I’m not sure if you’re aware, but you… you have a power addiction.” Good start, he just needed to carry it through. “It is not your fault.” He took a deep breath in. “That is… is what you felt tonight, isn’t it?” Her body turning against her; her mind craving to scratch the itch for power. He could tell she was anxious about it - about not being in control. “Everything will be ok.” He reassured her. “I can… I can help you.” He was almost there. “D-do you trust me?”
She nodded slowly at him, but stopped as a question nagged at her. “Why sacrifice your happiness for me, Ada?”
The question confused him. There was no sacrificing being done. His happiness wasn’t on the line - hers was. He frowned slightly at her before shaking his head. “I am not sacrificing my happiness.” He looked at her seriously. “Why-why would you think I… I am sacrificing my happiness?”

She frowned then and tried to remember something. “You went somewhere for something.” She focused as she spoke. “I think revenge. I know I probably wasn’t in your original plan, but thank you, Ada.” He felt a twinge of sadness that she would remember anything at all about that day. That was not something she should be thinking about right now. She slowly rested her head back against him as the last of her addiction symptoms slowly eased into exhaustion. She was still injured and all of the thrashing the power addiction stirred in her had not made matters any better.
He let her lean against him as he thought carefully about what he wanted to say. Was he after revenge? Of course, but something more important called to him. Stephen still made him angry, but for different reasons now.
He will die one at Sheogorath’s hands one day, but it was not meant to be that one. He let out an even breath. If there was one thing his master had ever taught him, it was that chaos was a beautiful thing. “Plans change often.” He nodded. “Revenge could wait. Saving you could not.” He had no regrets - save for only wishing he had gotten there sooner. “Don’t fight the sleep, Tuiel. You are safe with me.” He paused. “I promise.”
Her voice was drifting off into sleep.  “You are the kindest person I have ever met. Thank you Ada.”
Sheogorath smiled to himself and he let her rest against him, all the while he began to hum Mother’s song. This was new territory for him, but for the first time in his life he didn’t feel the need to question himself. He would make Mother proud. He wouldn’t settle for anything less.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #995 on: July 19, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »
Aww, Sheo the caretaker.  It's nice how he's so mindful of being who Ann would want him be. 
Loved the bit in the earlier update when Quinn was "multitasking" by sleeping while standing guard.  Priceless!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #996 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:29 AM »
Aww, Sheo the caretaker.  It's nice how he's so mindful of being who Ann would want him be. 
Loved the bit in the earlier update when Quinn was "multitasking" by sleeping while standing guard.  Priceless!
Sheogorath makes such a good caretaker. He really wants to do right by Anne. It makes me sad... :'( I do love Quinn to pieces though. I swear I keep him around for strong comic relief. Without him I feel like things would get far too dark too quickly. ::)
Not to mention I love that crazy guy.
Thank you for the lovely comment! =D

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Birth of the Wolf Pup
« Reply #997 on: July 22, 2016, 02:46:35 AM »
Birth of the Wolf Pup
Majnun’s face was fixed into a hard scowl as he paced back in forth in the room. The only sound he could hear was Anne’s labored, shallow breathing as Daisy tended to her gently. “T’won’t be much longer now, Miss.” Daisy said sweetly.

Anne had been in labor for thirteen hours straight at this point and Majnun couldn’t take it any longer. He wanted to help the process along but he knew his magic would overwhelm her body and put their child at risk. Mortal women just didn’t take magical children very easily. Without the base of magic in their blood it put them at a severe disadvantage, and Majnun wasn’t just any magical source… he was the original source. The child within her could kill her easily if he let his guard down long enough and wasn’t watching carefully.
He had to wait for nature to take it’s course. He couldn’t sit still for very long. It just made him nervous. He was feeling the edges of his sanity running out as he used the wards he already placed in her to monitor her heartbeat and breathing. He needed her to make it out of this alive. She simply had to.
“Majnun?” Anne’s voice weakly called to him and he was at her side on the bed instantly.

“I’m right here, my heart. Keep breathing.” He whispered to her, his voice was weary from the long hours.
Anne looked at him with exhaustion in her features and she smiled weakly. “I love you, my sweet.” She whispered back to him. He pressed his forehead to hers and closed his eyes slowly.
“I love you, my heart.” He spoke with determination. “Just hang in a little longer. Please.”
His other children had not been so bad. Four hours was the longest and Kefka really put Charlotte through trouble, but she came out from it just fine. Anne was struggling to keep the light from fading in her eyes and it tortured him.
Daisy would stay up by Anne to coach her through the labor and Majnun would help guide their child into the world. Children with the magical capacity that his did usually ran a risk to anyone who wasn’t magical holding them first. The child’s magic would be volatile when they first entered the world and he wouldn’t take any chances. He could not risk Daisy getting killed, so she would sit up by Anne’s head to keep her calm.
Anne began to cry out as she clutched her stomach and tears fell from her eyes. She was wearing too thin and he worried she would break.
Daisy looked at him hesitantly. “Me lord? I… I think it’s time.”

Majnun nodded slowly and both he and Daisy got into positions around Anne.
“Majnun…” Anne whimpered as she reached for him.
He grabbed her hand in both of his and kissed it gently. “I’m right here, my heart. I’m right here with you. Keep breathing.”
She whimpered again and tears came from her eyes. He slowly pulled his hand away when she gasped. “Don’t let go!”
His heart ached for her and he squeezed her hand tightly. “I’m not going anywhere. I’m right here. Look at Daisy, my heart. Focus on her. Everything will be ok.” Things had never been this bad before and he could feel anxiety in his stomach. He reminded himself of everything that was in place. Quinn was just outside the door. He had dozens of wards and spells in place to alert him should anything stop functioning correctly in his wife. He could feel her heartbeat pulsing in his ears as his magic monitored it. He wouldn’t lose her. He couldn’t lose her.
He was the God of Magic. He was the most powerful mortal who walked the planet. He could bend mountains and tame seas to the flick of his wrist. Anne’s screams were seared into his mind, but it wasn’t her screams that was frightening. It was her silence.
“Stay with me, Miss!” Daisy cried as she gripped Anne’s hand in hers. “ANNE!”

It was like watching a fire being doused by water. Majnun’s eyes flickered up as Anne’s eyes lost the last of their spark. Daisy was shouting and the room was getting noisier. Quinn had thrown the door open from the shouting and stood with his mouth agape as the world began to crumble. Everything became deafeningly silent except for the weak pulse that filled his ears. Anne’s weak pulse that consumed his hearing.
Then it stopped.
The boy in his arms wailed as Majnun felt his chest collapsing. Anne’s heart had stopped and he had mere seconds to react. The boy in his arms emitted strong magical energy and he had to act faster than he could think. Anne’s life was leaving her and he was crumbling underneath the weight of it. Quinn was next to him and he wasn’t sure how that happened. He was losing time too quickly.
Quinn was trying to speak but Majnun handed him the child he held and he took off for the side of the bed, knocking Daisy back and out of the way.
Anne’s eyes were glazed over as her spirit left her and everything in him was screaming. He couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t think. She couldn’t leave him! He wouldn’t let her.

He focused all the energies he could into his hands. The world was trying to take her from him and he would force it to give her back.
It was all his mind could think. Give her back. He pressed his hands to her chest and shocked it. Give her back. Her body jumped at his magical touch. Give her back. This wasn’t supposed to happen this way. Give her back. Give her back. Give her back.
Silence.
A gentle heartbeat.
He collapsed next to the bed as Anne sucked in a breath suddenly, her soul being pulled back into her body. Majnun’s eyes stared at the floor as he felt the world spinning too rapidly for him to catch up. She came back. His heart.
She lay unconscious, but alive.
Someone was talking to him but he waved his hand and shooed them away. “Get out.” He whispered. His mind was numb and he continued to stare at the floor next to the bed where his wife almost died. “GET OUT!” He shouted.
Daisy stared at him with sympathy and looked to Quinn gently. Quinn stood, bug-eyed, as he stared at the screaming baby in his arms. He looked like he were holding an explosive. Any other day and Majnun would’ve found it hilarious, but today he wanted everyone gone. He wanted everyone to vanish because he couldn’t breathe in this room. His sanity was collapsing around him and the walls were growing distorted. He could hear Anne screaming in his ears again and he choked on the breath he was taking.
Daisy directed Quinn to the cradle in the room and helped him put the baby down before guiding him out and closing the door behind them.

The sound of the door clicking snapped something in Majnun and before he knew it the burn behind his eyes turned into full out sobbing.
He clutched his arms and the house trembled as he cried with fear and relief.
He laid down on the floor in a ball as the insanity seeped in. His child was crying but he couldn’t bring himself to stand. He just wanted things to stop moving so fast.
He just wanted to stop hearing her screams.

Quinn woke up with his face pressed into the floor in the hallway of Majnun’s house. He eyed the room curiously before slowly moving to sit up.

“Well, at least you waited until you were outside the room to faint.” He looked towards the source and found Daisy looking at him somberly.
He groaned as he sat up all the way and stretched his neck. “How’s the Mistress?”
Daisy pursed her lips. “Alive, but that’s all I know.” She paused as she sat on the ground next to him. “Will… will the lord be ok?”
Quinn slowly felt himself recalling everything as he shook his head. “I have no idea.” He had known that Majnun was wrapped around Anne’s finger, but he hadn’t realized it was so much. “What happened in there?” He cleared his throat and swallowed.
Daisy looked forward, her face was unreadable. “The Miss… the light faded from her eyes. I saw it meself. It all happened too quickly.” She paused. “I know a lot of women don’t make it out of childbirthin’ but… it… was hard to watch.”
He nodded. It had happened too quickly. His stomach lurched in reflex as his mind went over what he had walked in on and he groaned again.
“Are you ok there, Quinn?” Daisy looked at him concerned. “You look a tad green.”
He put his head on his knees and whined. “I’m fine…”
“One day it’ll be your kid and perhaps you shan’t change colors.” She laughed lightly and shook her head. “Do you have a wife of your own?”

Quinn felt a smile tugging on his lips and he snorted. “Do I look crazy enough to get married?” He shook his head vigorously and instantly regretted it when the room started spinning again. He swallowed hard and focused on the conversation. “Too much work for too little gain. I’ve not been married and I never will be.” He slowly raised his head from his knees.
Daisy shook her head. “Surely you don’t mean it. You just haven’t met that one special Miss yet.”
He laughed again. “There is no such thing.” He paused. “Do you even know how old I am, Daisy? This isn’t my first rodeo. Trust me.”
She rolled her eyes gently. “Oh, I’d love to be there the day you meet her.”
“You won’t be, because it’s not going to happen. I’ve made sure of it.” He crossed his arms. “Carule hates my guts.” Pride filled his voice as he remembered the glare that the God of Love had given him the last time he delivered a repaired artifact.
“If that’s what you believe, deary, then sure.” Daisy smiled lightly.
Quinn looked at her then, tired of the cross-examination on his love life. “What about you? How’s that husband of yours? You did marry him, right? The… the Death Keeper that the master is hiding from Bat-Boy and Witchy-Nyx?”
“Phil? Yes, I did marry him.” She beamed. “He’s wonderful, you know.” She twisted her finger around her necklace. “I never saw meself with someone magical before but…” She smiled softly to herself. “Phil is different. A romantic, he is and he’s very pragmatic too.” She laughed. “I never thought I’d find meself that someone who fits me, but I did. Twas luck, you know.”
Quinn laughed louder. “Luck? If you call the master literally kicking him into you one day luck, then sure - it was luck.” He smirked. “Phil was so afraid of talking to you I thought he was doing to die when Majnun shoved him into you.” He chuckled softer now. “I love my job.”
They both grew quiet and sat in mutual silence as time moved forward at a slow pace.

Anne’s eyes came open slowly as she stared at the dark of the room. Her mouth was dry and she felt like she had been struck by lightning. Her whole body ached. What had she been doing?
Her eyes opened wider.

Her baby. Where was her baby? She sat up suddenly as she looked around the room desperately before her eyes fell on the sleeping child in the cradle at the foot of the bed. She eased completely and turned to see her husband hunched over the side of the bed, his head in his hands. She smiled warmly as she reached over and touched him.
He jumped and looked at her suddenly before his face eased and she could see what remained of the tears on his face. “My sweet…” Her voice was hoarse as she spoke and it surprised her.
Majnun slowly lowered his head back into his hands and began to cry again. His shoulders shook and Anne felt her heart melting inside her. “Majnun… my sweet.” She crawled over to him and hugged him tightly. She had never seen him cry before. They had been together for nearly two years and she had never seen him cry at all. “What’s wrong?”
He slowly pulled her into his arms and clutched her tightly while he cried into her shoulder. “I… I had lost you.” He whimpered. “You were dead… and I had lost you.”
She tightened her grip around him and pulled his face to look at her, gently wiping his tears away with her sleeve. “I’m still here, my sweet. You haven’t lost me.”

He collapsed into tears again and tightened his grip on her. “My heart…” He whispered. “My Anne… my life… my everything.” He sucked in hard breaths as he clutched her closer. He feared he would lose her if he ever let her leave his arms. “This was a terrible idea. I’m so sorry.” He gasped. He never should have let her go through with this pregnancy. He never should’ve agreed to it on her terms. It was a costly mistake and he could not afford to pay for it again.
Anne shook her head firmly. “Don’t say that!” She scolded. “I now have three perfect men in my life. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”
“Perhaps you wouldn’t.” Majnun said darkly. “But you did not have to watch the one person who means everything to you die.” His eyes were cold and harsh but they softened as he shook his head slowly. “I never cared about anything before you, Anne.” He admitted weakly. “You’re my heart and I cannot be without you.”
Anne’s brow furrowed. “Majnun… what about your children… our children?”
Majnun kept his eyes to the floor and said nothing.
“Majnun?!” Anne repeated, concern in her voice. Majnun stood up from the bed and walked across the room to stare out the window.
“The children are not you.” He whispered to the glass pane.
Anne stayed seated on the bed as she stared at him in shock. “Of course they’re not me. They’re little lives who matter greatly!”
Again, Majnun said nothing as he stared out the window.

She frowned and shook her head. “Majnun…”
“What?!” He turned suddenly. “What would you like me to say, Anne? I just watched you DIE! I heard your heart stop beating!” He sank to his knees. “My world ended when your heart stopped beating, Anne!” His voice dropped low. “What more do you want from me?!”
Anne looked at him, stunned. She wanted to get off the bed but her legs ached too greatly and she knew she shouldn’t be moving around. “Majnun…” She whispered his name. “My sweet? Please… come here.” She held her arms out and felt tears stinging in her own eyes. “Please?”
Majnun didn’t look at her as he slowly picked himself off the floor and shambled over to the bed once again.
Anne pulled herself into his lap and hugged him tightly. He reacted slowly but soon his arms wrapped back around her and she rested her head against him. “I love you, my sweet.” She whispered to him gently.
“I can’t lose you, Anne.” He whispered back. “I just can’t.”
She hugged him tightly and her fingers ran through his hair delicately. “You have me, now and always my sweet.”
He squeezed her in his arms and nodded weakly. “My heart.”
They rested like that, surrendering the argument they almost had in favor of just holding each other close.
When the moment passed, Anne found the strength to pull herself out of bed.
“Where are you going, my heart?” Majnun asked nervously as he stood quickly behind her.
She smiled softly as she slowly walked to the cradle. “I want to see my baby.” She whispered as she peered in. Majnun watched her cautiously and her eyes slowly lit up as she stared into the cradle with awe. She let out a slow breath as she reached in and pulled the boy from his sleep. He whimpered and prepared himself to cry when he sensed his mother and calmed immediately. “Hello, my sweet, little one.” Anne felt herself turning to putty as the boy adjusted himself against her shoulder and fell right back to sleep. “My perfect, little angel.” She whispered.
Majnun stared at her in the same awe that she held in her face as she held their child. She was the light. She was perfection in a human form. He walked up behind her gently and wrapped his arms around the both of them.

Anne’s eyes met his and a smile grew brightly on her face. “He’s so, so perfect.” She breathed. Her hand rubbed the baby’s back gently.
“He still needs a name.” Majnun whispered back to her. “You’re far better at names than I am, my heart.”
Anne thought about it as she kissed the boy’s head. “I like… Aleccas.” The name rolled off her tongue and she knew it was his. He opened his eyes at the name and blinked hazily at them.
“Aleccas.” Majnun repeated slowly, letting a hand of his come up to touch the boy’s head. He smiled faintly. “Aleccas Keeper it is.”
The boy yawned and carefully closed his eyes again, nuzzling into Anne’s shoulder. Anne looked at Majnun with soft surprise in her face. The happiness in her face at that moment trumped everything else in his life. He had nearly lost her but seeing the joy in her eyes made it all worth it.
A world without her smile is a world without light - and that wasn’t a world he wanted to live in.

Anne recovered slowly over the course of the next few weeks with the gentle help of Majnun’s magic. She spent her time fawning over the young Aleccas and slowly introducing him to the world around them.
Sheogorath had taken to Aleccas with hesitation. Anne had carefully helped him hold the baby boy, but he panicked when Aleccas had begun to cry. Yet, despite the initial distress, it was in those moments that she felt the most happy. Anne had never felt more complete in her whole life. It was everything she had ever dreamed about and more.
She moved about her house more freely now, happy to not be bound to the bedroom any longer. She was able to paint and dance and read anywhere she wished to.

That does not mean she was able to for long before Aleccas would start to cry for her, but she still enjoyed the freedom of walking around again.
Her husband was a lot more subdued lately and she worried for him. Anne stepped into the living room and froze suddenly at the sight of someone unfamiliar in her home. She eased after a moment and a smile pulled on her lips. “Agonin, it’s good to see you!” She said warmly. Mostly whenever Agonin would stop by he would be preoccupied with Majnun and she wouldn’t get a chance to properly say hello.
Agonin turned suddenly before he smiled and nodded. “Lady Anne, it’s good to see you up and about.” His voice was level. “I hear you gave Majnun quite the scare.”
Anne smiled softly. “Unintentionally, yes.” She moved into the room fluidly. “Thankfully everything is well.”

Agonin tilted his head and his face remained unreadable. “I am pleased you and your son are alive and well.”
“Thank you, Agonin.” Anne moved into the room and sat down on a nearby chair. “What brings you to our home today?”
Agonin took in a breath and sighed. “Not good news, I’m afraid.”
Her brow furrowed and she frowned. “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”
He cleared his throat. “There was an incident with a group of Death Keepers who, claiming to have been ordered by Nyx, killed a lot of very important people and destroyed a lot of important things.” He shifted in his seat before tipping his head downwards slightly. “We will be entering a formal trial to investigate the evidence against Nyx.”
Majnun had been very against the idea of a trial as it would require great portions of time to be spent away from their family, and now it seems the worst has come about. Anne pursed her lips. “I see.”
“I imagine that, as new parents, that is not what you wanted to hear.” Agonin responded immediately, seeming to read her like an open book.
“Not at all, Agonin.” Anne shook her head and looked up the stairs. “Does Majnun know?”
“He does. We were having a conversation when young Aleccas seemed to require attention.” Agonin kept his voice as level as his facial expressions.

She laughed very slightly. “I imagine that conversation was not how you enjoy your conversations to be?”
Agonin smiled slightly. “Majnun was never a wordsmith, so no, definitely not.” He paused. “He’s fighting this trial as much as he possibly can, but it’s simply a fact of life.”
Anne nodded. “How…” She paused as she thought about the exact nature of her question. “How long do you imagine this trial will take?”
Agonin’s face was unchanged. “I cannot say. It depends on charges and if Nyx cooperates with us.”
Anne felt herself chilling at the name. Nyx was not someone she was overly concerned with making it out alive after the way she spoke to Sheogorath. “I understand. Thank you for humoring me, Agonin.”

He nodded warmly. “Of course, Lady Anne.” He paused. “Well, I don’t imagine I’ll be seeing your husband again for the rest of the day.” He sighed. “I’ll be back for him to drag him to the trial when the time comes.” He slowly stood then.
“Are you sure you don’t want to stay for some tea, Agonin?” Anne asked sweetly as she stood with him.
“No, thank you, Lady Anne. That’s a kind offer, but I should be getting back. I have a lot to prepare for with the coming trial. It was nice to see you, my lady.”
“Take care, Agonin.” Anne smiled sweetly at him and she watched him vanish into a portal.

Majnun looked down into the crib at his son and smiled very softly. “You’ve got some strong magic potential in you.” He said quietly. “Did you know that?”
Aleccas wiggled his arms and yawned.
“Fascinating.” Majnun mumbled as he smiled. “Tell me more.”
Aleccas cooed and his hands reached upward.

Majnun slowly put his hand into the crib and Aleccas grabbed at his finger when a spark caused them both to jump. Aleccas’s nose twitched and he smiled slightly while Majnun laughed. “Strong magic indeed.” Majnun noted. “Please don’t do that to your mother.” He whispered.
Aleccas sneezed and pouted softly before closing his eyes and yawning.
Majnun poked his son’s nose and he shifted as he stood. “You’re my little wolf pup, aren’t you?” He paused. “I was once told I was wolf-like from those silly divination cards the gods love so much.”
Aleccas blinked at him.
“Yes. It’s is very boring stuff. I assure you.” He sighed. “Yet that would make you my little wolf pup, no?” He wiggled his fingers and a little cloud appeared over the cradle in the shape of a wolf. “What do you think?”
Aleccas’s eyes went wide and he reached for the cloud as he cooed.
Majnun watched with pride warming in him. “I think so too.”
A gentle knock on the door and Anne poked her head in while she beamed. “Hello, my sweet.” She whispered. “I was told you’d be up here.”

Majnun smiled and Anne came to rest her head against him. “How are you feeling, my heart?”
She gave him a warm look. “I’m well.” She paused before speaking again. “You know Agonin was here.”
Majnun scowled and Aleccas wiggled his arms, batting at the bars next to him. “Yes, unfortunately.” He didn’t want to talk about the trial, about being away from his family.
Anne stared down at her baby and reached into the crib to pull the blanket over him. As her hand came into contact with Aleccas’s another shock caused her to jump and her hand flew over her heart suddenly. “Oh my!”
Majnun laughed and shook his head. “You’re three weeks old, Aleccas! You cannot be disobeying me yet!” He reached in and scooped up his son into his arms before raising him into the air.
Anne sighed and laughed airily. “He’s his father’s son, that’s for sure.”
Majnun grinned at her. “Perhaps.”
Like father, like son? Majnun quite liked how that sounded.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #998 on: July 22, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »
Poor Majnun and Anne! That must have been terrible to go through. I ADORE Quinn and his reaction to Alec. Priceless. I love Daisy and Phil together so much. Awwwww. Alec is so adorable as a baby. What happened to him? Well, we know what happened to him but STILL.  :(

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #999 on: July 22, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
Hmmmm....Manjun working against the Death Keepers causing mayhem, but then bringing Anne back from the dead...I can't see this going well...
Quinn is glorious.  Of course, we all know he really does find his true love, Susie   ;=)