Author Topic: Photography  (Read 72470 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Photography
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
I'm starting to dig photography as a way to make a little extra cash here and there. It's not produced the kind of money it would take to survive early on in the game, but it's nice to have along in adventures and when traveling.

While you don't get the same amount of money after you've photographed something for the first time, many objects and landmarks can be photographed once a day to make an extra buck. This becomes really profitable once you've reached the point where you're at level 10 and have completed a couple challenges.

I would get to a higher level before I started taking travel shots. The first time pictures earn the most money. So you're better with refining the skill in Sunset Valley a bit at first so you can get more money out of the first-time shots in the new locations. For a new Sim this will make a big difference.

If you want to pursue this seriously head to Egypt and see the general goods vendor in the market to buy a better camera. The really nice one isn't all that necessary if you're just practicing the skill. Later use the more expensive camera, which also takes more money to operate.

We'll publish a guide to this skill within the next two days, I just thought I'd provide a couple of tips here in the meantime.

Edit: Photography Guide Published

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:12 AM »
I've got a child who's at level 5 Photography after only a couple of days.  She's using the best camera (a gift from her big sister).  I haven't kept track of how much she's spent on taking the pictures, but at the moment she's got over $1,300 worth of pictures in the camera that she can sell.  That's pretty good money for an elementary school kid!  I also just gave her the Visionary Lifetime Wish, which is to reach level 10 in Photography and Painting.  She's got a wish to travel to Egypt.  Maybe her big sister will take her.  Fun!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
Great tips about photography.  I got a great opportunity...Wyatt had just been to Egypt and took only one pic there.  It was a pic of the pyramid that is lit up at night.  When he got home, he got the opportunity of going to Egypt to take a photo of a pyramid...so I delivered the pic I took and got $650 for it.  Very lucky! ;D

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
yeah I hold on to some of my pictures, raw materials, etc after doing that... helps to complete them fast when you already have the item in hand. Especially when you're time crunched on travelling.

Offline igzigpuff

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:03:17 PM »
Haven't worked much on the photography, my Sim kept wanting to go to China...so I only had the cheap camera and most of his pictures are of his finger over the lens.  ::) :-[  I finally got him to Egypt and bought the next camera up since that's what he rolled he wanted to buy.  ;)  So hopefully I can get some shots other than his finger!  ;) ;D

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
I have a level 10 Photographer who took a picture of a pyramid with the best camera that was worth $4,500!!  I thought that was amazing!  I can't think of any other skill that would bring in so much cash with a single click.  She's also taken ones worth $2,500 and she's got a wish at the moment to take a picture worth $3,500 with a reward of 10,000 happiness points!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Honeymooners

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
I have a level 10 Photographer who took a picture of a pyramid with the best camera that was worth $4,500!!  I thought that was amazing!  I can't think of any other skill that would bring in so much cash with a single click.  She's also taken ones worth $2,500 and she's got a wish at the moment to take a picture worth $3,500 with a reward of 10,000 happiness points!

that is a heck of a lot easier than painting!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
most of his pictures are of his finger over the lens.  ::) :-[  

Ah, they can do that ?! :D :D :D
I haven't used the camera much, I think I will now. ;D

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
That's amazing, Pam. I definitely pooped out on photography way too early to give it an honest assessment.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »
That's amazing, Pam. I definitely pooped out on photography way too early to give it an honest assessment.

Yeah, I was afraid that's what was happening with you, Metro.  You were just expecting too much from it too soon.  By the time you get to level 10, use the best settings on the best camera, and add travel to the mix, it can do quite well.  It was ridiculously easy to reach level 10, too.  Just take pictures!  I haven't completed a collection yet, so I don't know how it will affect everything.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
most of his pictures are of his finger over the lens.  ::) :-[  

Ah, they can do that ?! :D :D :D
I haven't used the camera much, I think I will now. ;D

It's a low level screwup they make. Pam's results with the pyramid shot must have been taking it first time at high level. That's why I recommend getting some skill in sunset valley before you start photographing landmarks.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:31:30 PM »
Pam's results with the pyramid shot must have been taking it first time at high level. That's why I recommend getting some skill in sunset valley before you start photographing landmarks.

Yes, this is true.  I followed Carl's advice from the Photography guide and had the settings on the camera defaulting to the best settings on the most expensive camera.  My Sim was level 10 and it was the first time she photographed the pyramid.  A big serving of AWESOME!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

bshag

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »
I'm with igzigpuff...my sim is poor so she only bought the cheap camera and now all photos have what looks like a big smudge on the pic, must be her finger.  :-\

She's getting more and more money so maybe she can buy the next camera up.  She could really use the cash as I have a hard time selling some of those really nice relics she's finding.  :D

There just seems to be so much to concentrate on in this ep.  She's into nectar making as she is a gardener and now into photography, plus making the moves on Jon Lessen.  :D

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »
Ooooh!  Jon Lessen!  He's a good one!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

bshag

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
Hey Pam...I thought so too...I heard he makes real pretty babies!  ;D