Author Topic: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Aug 4)  (Read 47553 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Apr 21)
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »
I absolutely adore Lilith, and if she does end up wanting to be with Oddity, he should be honored!!

Online MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
Oddity is thrilled to be surrounded by strong, beautiful, and intelligent women, but sometimes he feels a bit like a low achiever.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »
Maria Gothario 4

go24.03.jpg
Harvest Fest was a bit active at our house. All of a sudden we had gnomes everywhere, or at least in every bathroom. Two of them could be appeased with pies.

go24.01.jpg
But one claimed that he didn't like pie. I had to plead with him for forgiveness.

go24.02.jpg
And then it was time for birthdays. I went first.

go24.04.jpg
Angela didn't want anyone to see what she looked like, so no one took her picture while Vivian shot off some confetti.

go24.05.jpg
Finally, Vivian blew out her candles, and we were all teens.

go24.10.jpg
Mama Corn thoroughly disapproves of the way I dress. "Not bell bottoms, dear, and beige and brown are such dreary colors," she says. So I decided to go with orange. "Just don't tell anyone you're my daughter" was her reaction when she saw that outfit.

go24.11.jpg
Vivian still likes pink, and Angela is into blues and purples. Mama Corn mutters about classic colors and how teenagers never listen, but Mama Olivia says if we're going to rebel about something, it could be a lot worse than clothing.

go24.07.jpg
I like to relax with fishing, too, which is something else that Mama Corn doesn't like.

go24.06.jpg
My cousin Rosa came over the other day. She always wears white, and of course Mama approves of that. She suggested that the three of us set up a homework club and invite our cousins Rosa, Tiffany, and Nanette to join.

go24.08.jpg
I did set up a club, but I signed up Toby Zest and Luis Caliente instead. After all, we already know plenty of girls, but we hardly know any boys at all.

go24.09.jpg
Angela already has something going with Justice Lee-Scott, who's headed off to college, but I think Toby might be interested in Vivian.

go24.12.jpg
And Luis Caliente and I are becoming good friends. I don't know whether our Gradebusters club is making much progress academically, but our social life is doing well.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Apr 30)
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Well, if Gradebusters Club doesn't actually help the grades, but creates new households, that's a win for the Watcher, right?
A delightful and charming update.  Maria is wonderfully true to her own self and so gloriously aware of Mama corn's disapproval  :=)
Rosa is such a beauty!!

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2020, 03:43:38 PM »
Well, if Gradebusters Club doesn't actually help the grades, but creates new households, that's a win for the Watcher, right?
A delightful and charming update.  Maria is wonderfully true to her own self and so gloriously aware of Mama corn's disapproval  :=)
Rosa is such a beauty!!

Yes, it's a win. But arranging marriages is going to get tricky in the next generation, trying to avoid cousins.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »
Dion Caliente 3

go25.01.jpg
Sims usually can't live forever -- not without ambrosia or immortality potions. Don Gothario was the first -- or rather, the second to the last, to go.

ca24.03.jpg
But he was followed not long after by J Huntington III. Both bros, both handsome, both in good shape, even as elders. And even though they were supposedly noncommittal, they both remained happily married and reached respectable levels in their careers.

go25.02.jpg
Both left saddened family members.

ca24.04.jpg
And both were taken by a Grim Reaper resistant to pleading.

ca24.14.jpg
"He and Katrina are together again," Hugh whispered to his wife Nikita. "Maybe," Nikita thought, remembering that Don Gothario had gone before.

It's the end of an era. All the founders are gone except the one who used to be a vampire and is therefore immortal -- Vladislaus Straud.

go25.03.jpg
Saying good-by to her grandfather made Maria Gothario sadder than she'd ever been.

ca24.05.jpg
Although she cheered up a bit when her friend Luis came over to see her and gave her a hug.

ca24.06.jpg
"You need to get a life," he told his older brother Dion later. "Sure, college keeps you busy, but that shouldn't prevent you having fun."

ca24.01.jpg
"I have fun," Dion protested. "You'd be amazed how many people fall for the cowplant's fake piece of cake, and that always gives me a laugh."

ca24.02.jpg
"Watching Patchy tease the cowplant is not what I'm talking about," said Luis. "I'm talking about making friends."

ca24.07.jpg
"I make friends," Dion protested. "There's Patchy...
"An intermittently conscious Scarecrow."

ca24.08.jpg
"...and the Flower Bunny..."

ca23.04.jpg
"I'm talking about female friends," said Luis. "Get yourself out of this hot tub and go meet someone."

ca24.09.jpg
So Dion went to the park and played chess with Amanda Hecking. They talked while they played and soon discovered that they were both goofballs who loved the outdoors.

ca24.11.jpg
Time passed, and they didn't realize how late it was getting until they noticed all the children filing out of the park.

ca24.10.jpg
"I still have to finish college," Dion told Amanda, "but I'll definitely give you a call when I'm done."

ca24.12.jpg
Back at home Dion fixed himself a vegetarian meal and worried that his father might also need him to plead with Grim.

ca24.13.jpg
But Hugh survived to become an elder.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 5)
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »
Tiffany Landgraab 3

la24.01.jpg
Even after I became a teen, my little sister Nanette and I continued to do a lot of things together -- dancing, of course, and also Scouts.

la24.02.jpg
And let's not forget the time-honored practice of asking Mom for advice. I don't know why Nanette thought that Mom would know what she should do to become a ninja, but I guess when you're a child, moms know everything.

la24.03.jpg
And finally, Nanette was ready to become a teen, too.

la24.08.jpg
Adolescence hadn't changed me much. I moved quickly from Pegasus to Llamacorn Scout.

la24.05.jpg
And working out was still something I enjoyed doing.

la24.04.jpg
But Nanette? All of a sudden, she became weird. She dyed her hair purple, started wearing black, and began writing poetry.

la24.07.jpg
I asked her why.
"I don't want people thinking I'm your twin," she said. I pointed out that we didn't look all that much alike. Her nose is different, and her chin sticks out more. "That's not the point," she said. "You don't understand."

la24.09.jpg
I went off to shoot some hoops on my own.

la24.10.jpg
I'll probably be put on the soccer team in college, but a girl can always dream about basketball.

la24.11.jpg
With an A at school and Llamacorn rank in Scouting, I was ready to become a young adult. I can start developing my relationship with Carl Newbida now.

la24.12.jpg
But first I have to go to college. Fingers crossed that I get accepted.

la24.06.jpg
Oh, and I almost forgot -- Dad reached the top of the Entertainer profession. Way to go, Dad!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 6)
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
I love the resemblances between the third generation kids resemble the founders! 
Both Caliente boys inherited Vlad's nose!

Ohhh, I hadn't realized that you're waiting for heirs to finish college before moving out.
That makes sense. Although if you're playing with the Active Household only setting and sent a kid to live on campus, would his family back home stop aging?
Timing for university still confuses me.  I will continue to read and learn. :D

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
I think that if I sent my students to University, the family at home would not age. In this challenge, the families all stay on the same lot.

Actually, the Caliente boys have Vidcund Curious's nose. Brendon Rosa, Vidcund's other child, only inherited his blond hair.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
Oddity Curious 4

cu24.07.jpg
Some things never change. Little Venusia is not a fan of the high chair any more than Zara was. In fact, since she's a bit wild, she's even more likely to throw her food around.

cu24.04.jpg
Sitting in an armchair is much preferable.

cu24.02.jpg
A bath afterwards is good, too.

cu24.05.jpg
Zara is becoming a teen.

cu24.06.jpg
Her big brother Oddity is there to sing for her.

cu24.01.jpg
As a goofball and dance machine, Zara plans on a career as a comedian.

cu24.03.jpg
Meanwhile, Oddity has a couple of favors to ask of his Aunt Brenna: "I have an audition tomorrow and class the next day. Could you stay home and look after Venusia?"

cu24.10.jpg
Class? Yes, Oddity's acting career hasn't taken off yet. He's passed two auditions, but A.I. Staffing canceled his first gig, and the second one just never happened. So he's taking 3 classes in Drama at Foxbury Institute.

cu24.11.jpg
Finally, Oddity has gotten a gig. He goes over the script with his co-worker.

cu24.12.jpg
The on-set barber trims a few hairs, and Oddity is ready to face the camera.

cu24.14.jpg
Wouldn't you know it? You go for your midnight snack and discover that the fridge is on the fritz. Who you gonna call at two in the morning?

cu24.13.jpg
Vladislaus Hardware, that's who. Our professionally-trained repair people will show up any time day or night, but especially night. Of course, there's a slight catch...

cu24.15.jpg
The safer option is to buy our Do-It-Yourself kit, complete with screwdriver, pliers, electrician's tape, and exacto knife, only 24.99 at Vladislaus Hardware. Drop in and see us some evening!

Oddity is on top of the world when he finishes, and A.I. Staffing is pleased too.

cu24.08.jpg
But the next day brings tragedy. Cosma comes home from work and suddenly feels a bit strange.

cu24.09.jpg
Oddity pleads with Grim for her, but Grim doesn't listen. "Look, she's completed her aspiration, reached the top of her career, and got to spend time with her grand-daughter, which is more than you can say for many people. She'd only be with you another 24 hours anyway, so give me a break."

Rest in peace, Cosma Curious! You were a great heir.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 16)
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Jonah Cottoneye 3

co24.03.jpg
Living with a volcano meant that you couldn't say your life was boring.

co24.01.jpg
Yet Jonah felt that his life was currently quite dull. He did homework.

co24.02.jpg
He read books.

co24.06.jpg
His father Hank had a birthday.

co24.07.jpg
And he was promoted to Chief of Police.

co24.04.jpg
One day Jonah brought home a robot-making kit from school. He'd been banned from using the robot-making machine on the roof because he'd shocked himself so many times. It wasn't safe when it was raining, and it couldn't be moved downstairs because there wasn't any room.

co24.05.jpg
The first robot that Jonah built was okay. It looked like a robot but it didn't do much.

co24.08.jpg
Jonah knew he could do better, so he bought another kit. His mother Hope tried to help him with it. "Honestly, Mom," he said, "I think I'll do a better job if you don't help."

co24.09.jpg
He took a day off school to work on it. He was an A student now, and it was almost time for him to graduate, so his parents said it was okay.

co24.10.jpg
Success! This robot was excellent. It moved around, waved, blinked -- everything it could possibly do. Jonah couldn't wait to show it to his friend Nanette. Nanette Landgraab was the girl who had given him a toy robot a long time ago when his house -- and toybox -- had been destroyed by a volcano.

co24.11.jpg
In fact, the more he thought about it, the more Jonah realized what he had to do with the robot. He could give Nanette the robot that was only good, but that didn't seem good enough. It was a wrench parting with the excellent one, but that was a sacrifice Jonah had to make. And if Nanette didn't like it...well, he wouldn't think about that.

co24.12.jpg
She loved it. And she even let him flirt with her a little.

co24.13.jpg
"I have to go to college," Jonah told her.
"I know," said Nanette. "And I have to finish high school. But best friends forever, right?"
"Right," said Jonah.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 18)
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Elspeth Hecking 3

he24.03.jpg
Winter went by quickly.

he24.04.jpg
Before I knew it, we were celebrating New Year's Eve.

he24.05.jpg
Even the television erupted in fireworks.

he24.01.jpg
And I started a new job. I wasn't going to college, so I joined the military instead. While out marching around, I spied the lighthouse, my wizard's tower. I'd heard rumors that you could go up there with a special someone, and I decided that was where my heir would be conceived. I even knew who the father would be -- Morgyn.

he24.02.jpg
I wanted my heir to be at the top of the spellcaster line. I myself was only a mediocre spellcaster at best. Sure, I could make the book I was reading float in the air.

he24.20.jpg
I could restore our basketball backboard that had been struck by lightning.

he24.08.jpg
And yes, I could stir a potion without touching the spoon.

he24.09.jpg
But I couldn't guarantee that the potion wouldn't backfire with horrific consequences.

he24.10.jpg
I was terrified when I looked in the mirror, and I really couldn't blame my mother for throwing up after our game of chess. But I dreaded Morgyn's reaction. Right now I had a face that could launch a thousand ships -- in the opposite direction.

he24.11.jpg
Luckily, I had learned the De-cursify spell from a dusty old tome (the only kind of tome suitable for learning spells and potions). To my surprise, it worked.

he24.06.jpg
I invited Morgyn out for dinner at Chez Llama.

he24.07.jpg
The evening wasn't a complete success. The server had left dirty dishes on our table. Worse, Morgyn showed up in a robe that looked a lot like a woman's formal gown. I realized, though, that they don't pay much attention to fashion in Glimmerbrook.

he24.13.jpg
I persevered in our romance and the evening came when I invited him to the Deadgrass Discoveries Museum. "What can we do there?" he asked innocently, and I prepared to show him. But I was in for a shock.
"My dear, I can't have children," he told me. "My studies have taken me to a place beyond dualities -- beyond good and evil, male and female, rich and poor -- you understand."

he24.14.jpg
I went home with a heavy heart. For several days, I went jogging to cheer up.

he24.21.jpg
I played basketball with my sister Amanda.

he24.12.jpg
I even let Amanda use my cauldron to brew macaroni and cheese.

he24.15.jpg
Finally I reached a decision. I invited Morgyn over and broke up with him (or her, as the case may be).

he24.16.jpg
Morgyn stuck around while I played a game of chess with Mom. Ordinarily it would have embarrassed me to have my boyfriend hanging around while Mom was in her skimpy underwear, but since Morgyn wasn't my boyfriend anymore, I was okay.

he24.17.jpg
And then I went to Hare Square to see Chance Givens.

he24.18.jpg
We played chess, and I found out that he was a child of the ocean and a child of the island.

he24.19.jpg
But he was also a spellcaster, so we went out on a date.

he24.22.jpg
Later that evening I met him at the Deadgrass Discoveries Museum...

he24.23.jpg
...where we lit up the night sky, sending a beacon to all the love boats out there. I don't know what the future holds, but Chance is still firmly ensconced in the dualities so I'm not too worried.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 22)
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
Robin Newbida 5

ne25.02.jpg
Adulthood brings a lot of responsibilities, foremost among them a job. I considered college, but with Frank being so much older than I am, I didn't want to wait for us to get married. Besides, I don't really need a degree to become an expert on the Omiscans.

ne25.04.jpg
Carl had his birthday soon after mine, and he's joining the military, too.

ne25.01.jpg
One good thing about my new job -- I get to exercise more.

ne25.05.jpg
Adulthood brings some sad moments, too. Popsie's final notice came in the other day. Carl didn't realize what was happening at first, and then he shouted for me to come.

ne25.06.jpg
I think the Grim Reaper hates me. He hasn't granted a single one of my pleas for a relative -- not for Gramps or Grams, either. Popsie was always a quiet, stable presence in the house, always there if you needed someone to talk to or dance with.

ne25.07.jpg
Carl and I are sad, but Mumsie is devastated. Even so, she told me, "Don't feel like you have to wait to be happy. Tomorrow is Freedom Day. Go out and have a good time with your young man."

ne25.10.jpg
So I met Frank for lunch at Sunny Side Up.

ne25.11.jpg
After some flirting, I gave him a good smooch and confessed that I was attracted.

ne25.08.jpg
Afterwards, we went to the pool at Enchanted Springs where people were having fun streaking. Frank hurried inside, but I joined them for a few minutes.

ne25.09.jpg
And then I went and greeted Frank in the pool. It could have been the most embarrassing moment of my life, but...

ne25.12.jpg
A couple of hours later he proposed. "Before you say yes, I have a favor to ask," he said. "I have a daughter from a previous relationship --" I knew all about that because he wrote about it on his blog -- "and I'm hoping that she can come and live with us."
"Of course!" I said joyfully.

ne25.13.jpg
We decided not to have a big wedding, and just plighted our troths in the back yard.

ne25.14.jpg
Nadine came over soon after that. She has Frank's pale skin and loves art, so I got out our old painting table and the dollhouse, too.

ne25.15.jpg
We're going to do something about her hair, though.

ne25.16.jpg
And later, I had the glad news for Frank that Nadine would be getting a little half-brother or sister.

ne25.03.jpg
Adulthood might have plenty of responsibilities and sadness, but it has joys, too. And my doll collection reminds me that I'm still young at heart.

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 25)
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
Is Oddity's outfit is inspired by a certain PT? In my new BACC (before I got caught up here) I did the exact same thing. Great minds really do think alike, it seems. :)

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Is Oddity's outfit is inspired by a certain PT? In my new BACC (before I got caught up here) I did the exact same thing. Great minds really do think alike, it seems. :)

I don't know what a PT is, so I can't answer the question. Personal trainer? Physical therapist? :)

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2020, 08:14:07 PM »
I was thinking Oddity’s Hawaiian shirt and shorts were an homage to PT9 Smith.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:25 PM »
Oh, from TS2? I didn't play the Smiths much. By the way, are you planning to restart your Build-a-City challenge sometime around June 5?

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2020, 11:28:19 PM »
I’ve actually already restarted. I am really, really looking forward to Eco Lifestyle, though.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
Maria Gothario 5

go25.02.jpg
Shortly after Grandpa Don died, Mama Olivia told Vivian that she was sure her time was coming. "Don't say that," Vivian responded. "You're still young."

go25.03.jpg
But that night I looked out of the window and saw a gray hand snaking out of a column of black smoke. Like, that wasn't creepy or anything.

go25.04.jpg
I realized it was about time for Mama Olivia to come home from work, and sure enough, it was the Grim Reaper come to take her.

go25.05.jpg
I tried to plead for her. "No go, kid," he said. "You should have taken acting lessons."
"But my cousin Rosa took acting lessons, and they didn't work for her," I protested.

go25.06.jpg
I should have spared my breath. The Grim Reaper had made up his mind.

go25.07.jpg
I couldn't bear to watch, but Vivian and Angela didn't feel the same way. Luckily Mama Corn stayed sound asleep. We'll all miss her. Mama Olivia was always good for a joke if you were feeling blue or a piece of pie if you were hungry.

go25.14.jpg
I wonder if being a teen automatically makes you crazy. Angela doesn't want to associate with any of us, and Vivian has taken to teasing us about things that a kind-hearted person wouldn't mention.

go25.01.jpg
Like the fact that I'm quite a bit wider than Angela. My parents were both slender. My grandparents on Mama Corn's side were slender. But Rosa told me that my father's brother, Uncle Hugo, was pudgy. A great cook, but pudgy.

go25.08.jpg
Anyway, I'm kind of weird, too. I felt left out when Mama Corn and Vivian were talking and both had their backs to me. I wasn't jealous or anything. It was perfectly understandable that my mother would pay special attention to Vivian after Mama Olivia's death.

go25.09.jpg
But I did perk up when she gave me some pointers on my drawing.

go25.11.jpg
Thanks to Mama Corn, I reached the pinnacle of Scouting and became a Llamacorn.

go25.13.jpg
I spent the weekend doing homework (boring) and working on my Collector aspiration -- gathering up frogs...

go25.15.jpg
...fossils...

go25.12.jpg
...and I found a bunch of crystals on sale at the flea market. I met a nice man there named Karl Ratliff. And then I embarrassed myself by blowing flames out at him.

go25.10.jpg
(Watcher's note: This Karl actually showed up by accident in my story. If I had created him, I would have spelled his name correctly and given him better hair.)

go25.16.jpg
On Monday I came home from school with an A, and Mama Corn encouraged me to go ahead and get ready for college. I sent off my application as soon as I blew out the candles.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (May 29)
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
Rosa Straud 3

st25.02.jpg
Exciting as it was to become a teen, I feel like my life didn't really start until I left adolescence behind.

st25.10.jpg
My parents marked the occasion by taking me out to dinner at a posh restaurant, Chez Llama. I was still wearing my very teen-like formal dress, but I'll soon update that to something more adult.

st25.03.jpg
I've had to wait a few days before I get my acceptance letter to the University of Britechester. During that time, I've heard this a lot, "Since you're not doing anything, Rosa, could you...apply mite treatment to the bees?

st25.05.jpg
"...repair that broken sink?

st25.11.jpg
"...play a game of chess with your father?"

st25.04.jpg
I went for a run just to get away from it all.

st25.07.jpg
And while I was gone, tragedy struck. Uncle Hugo collapsed in the basement, with only Sir Roland for company.

st25.08.jpg
"Please don't take him," I begged. "Not yet."
"Much you care," Grim snorted. "Sir Roland has told me about all the hours that your great-uncle Hugo has spent down here. Drinking juice. Alone."
It was only too true. I sobbed for a bit, but after a while I remembered that a whole hour had gone by since I'd checked the status of my university application.

st25.09.jpg
I was accepted! And not only accepted, but able to get a distinguished degree in language and literature at the University of Britechester.

st25.16.jpg
But first I would have to do something about my relatives. For some reason, my computer was the one everyone wanted to use. And if I was using it (playing The Sims Forever is research), then they wanted to be close to me. Or close to the computer so as to be first in line. Anyway, I took advantage of my status as a grown-up to lock my bedroom door as soon as everyone left.

st25.06.jpg
As a child I wrote plays for my puppets, and now I plan to write screenplays and perhaps romances. My favorite movie is Roaring Vice, although Simder is good, too. A friend told me that romances should be happy, but I disagree. The best romances are sad, too. The question was, what could I use for a plot?

st25.01.jpg
And then it came to me -- a vampire cured of everything but immortality, a happy marriage to the love of his life, and then, the death of his human wife.

st25.15.jpg
I lived it all as I typed -- his rage, his delight, his sorrow. It was a good thing I'd banished everyone from my room. They would have thought I was more than erratic, I was bonkers.

st25.12.jpg
But I didn't spend the entire semester writing a novel (Love Me Once, available soon). I did my homework, wrote my term paper, and put together a presentation.

st25.13.jpg
Allow me to show you the difference between a good, or normal, presentation...

st25.14.jpg
...and a great, or outstanding, one. Note that pictures dominate in the former, but there is more text, more substance, in the latter. While that astonishing playwright, Henrik Yibsim, is the subject of both, the second presentation provides more context and criticism.

st25.18.jpg
Between classes, I tried to gather experiences. So what if my mouth got singed at the Flea Market? I gathered up plenty of synonyms for "hot" -- burning, searing, flaming, lip-melting -- all useful for the romance writer.

st25.17.jpg
I'd hoped to experience an alien abduction, but apparently the umbrella put them off. Who knew that you could thwart an abduction just by carrying an umbrella?

st25.19.jpg
But the most life-changing experience came as I was on my way to my final exam. I was struck by lightning. Most people would regard that as a negative experience, but I was thrilled, awe-struck by the electricity coursing through my nerves. Now, when I wrote something like, "Maude felt like she was struck by lightning the first time she saw/kissed/woohooed with James," I would know what that felt like.

st25.20.jpg
And it impressed the professor that I showed up for the final when I could have gone to the infirmary with a legitimate excuse. I got an A+ in the class! In all my classes, to be honest, lucky me. Until next time...

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 3)
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
Toby Zest 3

ze25.01.jpg
The day has come when my youth is over. I would have a midlife crisis except I'm too busy, what with being an investigative reporter and the mother of two boys, one of whom is a teen.

ze25.04.jpg
Toby is changing, though. For a while I wondered whether we (or he) could survive his mood swings until it was time for college.

ze25.02.jpg
But then someone came to talk to his class about ecology, and Toby now has a purpose in life. He told us all about it when we went out to dinner. "See, our footprint is way too big," he said. "We have to give back to the environment something other than carbon dioxide and pollution. Knox -- that's the guy who came to our class -- says we can make all of our furniture out of recycled stuff, and that's what I'm going to do."
"Including the television?" Dale asked me later.
I shrugged. "It's probably just a phase," I said.

ze25.03.jpg
The next day Toby insisted we go up to the abandoned mansion at the top of the hill. "The city is going to make a community center out of it, but we get to decide what we want," he said. "I want it to be a place where people can make things, so will you guys vote for that? I think the Calientes are going for a community garden."

ze25.06.jpg
But it took a while for the votes to come in, so we bought Toby his own fabrication machine. "This is great," he said. "I'll be able to make all kinds of things and sell them. It'll pay for itself, you'll see."

ze25.07.jpg
In the meantime, though, he had to learn how to use it.

ze25.08.jpg
"I'm okay," he assured me. "It's a perfectly natural medium, nothing to worry about."

ze25.09.jpg
The bed was something he bought from a place called ReStore -- "It'll do until I can make my own" -- but the rug Toby made himself.
"Is it supposed to be that shape?" his father asked me.
"Hush," I said.

ze25.05.jpg
Toby found an old handmade guitar that had been given to my mother, and decided to learn how to play it. "It's got so much character," he enthused. "Don't you think it sounds better than some soulless machine-made guitar?"
To be honest, no. But at least he was playing it in his bedroom, where no one else had to listen.

ze25.10.jpg
The day finally came when we were able to tour the "new" Del Sol Valley Community Center, welcoming makers from all over. "I'm mostly interested in furniture, but I might try making fizzy juice, too," said Toby.
"That does sound interesting," Dale admitted.

ze25.12.jpg
We've had a few more people come into our lives. Knox, Toby's inspiration, showed up to use our recycling machine. We had to get one because other people were always using the ones up at the Center when Toby wanted to. "It's great," said Toby. "He gets rid of his garbage, and we get to keep the recycled material."
Great.

ze25.11.jpg
And speaking of garbage, Toby has made friends with the garbage collector. "There's your recyclables and your compostables," he told Toby. "The recyclables can go in your machine, and you can use your compostables in your garden."

ze25.13.jpg
The third person that Toby has brought into our lives is a darling young lady, Vivian Kim-Lewis. Thanks to her influence, Toby is doing his homework more often. But he's also talking about going into the military instead of attending college. "I want to spend time making things rather than doing homework," he told me.
And he can get married sooner, too.

ze25.14.jpg
Meanwhile, the youngest member of the Zest family is no longer a child.

ze25.15.jpg
Isn't Nathan handsome? I have the best-looking sons in our world, if I do say so myself.
Over and out, Mimi Zest.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 6)
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
I loved Rosa Straud's update so much!
And I do appreciate her both showing and telling us what makes an academic presentation excellent, rather than just normal.

Who will disagree with Mimi Zest's claim that she has the best-looking sons? Not I! Nathan's stunning!
Can't wait to see how Toby goes about improving their neighborhood's eco footprint!
My apologies but, after looking at the states for all three generations of Zests, I couldn't figure out where Toby now lives.
(And I wasn't paying enough attention in his previous updates.)
Since the new Community Space is in Del Sol Valley, may I assume that's where Toby lives, too?

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2020, 08:36:22 PM »
Yes, Toby lives in Del Sol Valley.

My apologies. It's so obvious to me where everyone lives that I probably haven't mentioned it. Here goes:

The Newbidas, Babs, Carl, Robin, Frank, Nadine, and a baby, are in Newcrest.
The Gotharios, Corn, Maria, Angel, and Vivian, are in Willow Creek.
The Calientes, Hugh, Nikita, Dion, and Luis, are in Del Sol Valley.
The Strauds, Vlad, Celeste, Brendon, Rosa, and Max Villareal, are in Windenburg.
The Landgraabs, Sterling, Claudia, Tiffany, and Nanette, are in Windenburg.
The Zests, Mimi, Dale, Toby, Nathan, and Yuki Behr, are in Del Sol Valley.
The Lee-Scotts, Faith, Heath, and Justice, are in Del Sol Valley.
The Curiouses, Brenna, Oddity, Zara, Venusia, and Deven are in Oasis Springs.
The Cottoneyes, Hank, Hope, and Jonah, are in Strangerville.
The Heckings, Grant, Elsa, Elspeth, Amanda, and a baby, are in Brindleton Bay.

I may start moving people around, but that's where they are now.

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »
Justice Lee-Scott 3

le25.01.jpg
It seemed to Justice as if his first week at university was spent entirely doing homework, but actually, he found plenty of other ways to spend his time.

le25.03.jpg
There was work to do around the house. Besides laundry, there were the ashes from a few lightning strikes to clean up.

le25.06.jpg
And then he started on the leaves.

le25.09.jpg
Playing in the leaves was fun.

le25.10.jpg
Burning them was even more fun, and did only a little damage to the environment.

le25.13.jpg
Not as much as his space exploration, for example. Justice gave a young stowaway a joy ride and managed to circle the moon without wrecking his ship. Exploring space might be harmful, but it was definitely fun.

le25.12.jpg
On Sunday, he met Angela Gothario at the Flea Market.

le25.14.jpg
They shot a few hoops until they got tired. Was it his imagination, or was the air quality not as pure as it used to be?

le25.08.jpg
While they were at the Flea Market, Justice saw that someone was selling a bunch of My Sims dolls. He remembered that his friend Frank had a wife who collected them, so he bought a few. Robin was very happy to get them as a gift, and became another of his good friends.

le25.04.jpg
Giving gifts and making friends netted Justice quite a few influence points, and he was able to vote in a Neighborhood Action Plan that he wanted -- Rock Your Body (and Mind). He told Frank all about it when they met at the gym.

le25.11.jpg
Frank spent several evenings attending guest lectures on Law. They didn't count towards his grade, but he felt that they were worthwhile. Also, the University of Britechester was beautiful in the autumn.

le25.02.jpg
He met Angela in front of the library one day near the end of the term. "We have got to do something about your hair," she told him. "Mama Corn knows all about style. She'll fix you up to look more like a budding member of the judiciary and less like someone who stuck his finger in a light socket."

le25.15.jpg
Sure enough, Mama Corn had some ideas. "That color is wrong for you, and you should start wearing shirts with ties," she said.
"But I love this hoodie," Justice protested.
"Do you want to make Chief, Justice?" she asked.
"Okay, I'll change it after this term," he agreed.

le25.16.jpg
When his report card came in, Justice had to give Angela a call. "Four A pluses out of four," he said.
"That's great!" she said. "Have you thought about re-doing your bedroom?"

le25.05.jpg
"No way," said Justice. "My grandmother upgraded that bed to give massages, and it's more comfortable than anything I could buy. And the bookshelf has a complete set of Simwood's Law. But you can have a free hand with the kids' rooms."
Angela giggled. "And what makes you think I might be interested in those?"
Justice blushed. "Sorry, I forgot you were still a teen. But you might be interested once I finish college, right?"
"Maybe," said Angela. "That's a long way off."
Too long, thought Justice.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 8)
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
Thank you for sharing that list of where all your households live!
It's great to know which sims share the same neighborhood (in terms of NAPs).

No way," said Justice. "My grandmother upgraded that bed to give massages, and it's more comfortable than anything I could buy. And the bookshelf has a complete set of Simwood's Law. But you can have a free hand with the kids' rooms."

Great indirect proposal, Justice!  Good thing you're aiming to be a judge rather than a court attorney.  ;D
I like that Angel was receptive!