Author Topic: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Nov 15)  (Read 119356 times)

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 2)
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
The Curious household's update was fantastic!
Hard to get any more surprising and quirkier than that! :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
Believe me, it was one shock after another!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
Hank Cottoneye 5

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Work is settling into a routine. When I finish up a case, I take a mugshot of the perp.

If there's not enough time left in the day to start a new case, I go out on patrol. I'm really glad I live in Strangerville rather than Willow Creek. I just wish that my uniform was a little warmer.

And sometimes I take reports from civilians. I had to apologize to Nikita Caliente for yawning while she told me about their late-night hooligan -- I haven't been getting much sleep at home.

The reason for my lack of sleep is this little guy -- Jonah Cottoneye.

He's a bit wild.

And he seems to be hungry all the time, possibly because he dumps his food on the ground before he's finished eating it.

We've tried to solve that problem by letting him eat on the couch.

We lost Dad a few days ago.

I tried to plead for him to stay with us just a little longer, but Grim said it was his time.

Mom and Hope kept crying, but that didn't have any effect either.

After he was taken, some strange woman came and sat in the living room for a while. I'd never seen her before, and neither Mom nor Hope knew her. I found out that she was paranoid, just like Dad had been, and I think she'd been in some conspiracy theory group with him.

The Grim Reaper stayed around long enough to clean up Jonah's mess, which I guess was kind of him.

The next day I took Hope to Skye Fitness Gym, so we could get some exercise while Mom was home to look after Jonah. Sterling and Claudia Landgraab were there, too, as well as Faith Lee-Scott and Max Villareal. I know Max is working to become his grandfather Jacques' replacement, but getting the goods on him is difficult.

Mom is not handling Dad's death well. She says that she's just trying to improve her mixology skill, but she spends more time drinking than she does practicing.

And her other way of dealing with grief -- working out until she's exhausted -- worries me. She's gotten her notice to get her affairs in order, but I'm hoping that I'll be more successful on her behalf than I was in pleading for Dad.

I suggested to Hope that we might try for another baby because the house will seem very empty once both Mom and Dad are gone. Hope says no way. She doesn't like children much, although she takes pretty good care of Jonah when I'm sacked out.

Dad's ghost showed up the other night, which was heartening to see.

And Jonah is beginning to resemble him, at least in his choice of clothing.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 6)
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
Jonah is so cute! I like that he wears shades like his Gramps.
Papa Cotteneye was in great shape as an elder!
(Granny looks fantastically fit, too.)

What happens to Strangerville's Curio Shoppe once Erwin passes away?
Seeing that intruder in the Cottoneye home, I wonder if there's a stream of Curio Shoppe vendors living in hidden households.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
Jonah is so cute! I like that he wears shades like his Gramps.
Papa Cotteneye was in great shape as an elder!
(Granny looks fantastically fit, too.)

What happens to Strangerville's Curio Shoppe once Erwin passes away?
Seeing that intruder in the Cottoneye home, I wonder if there's a stream of Curio Shoppe vendors living in hidden households.

Interesting. She could be the new Curio Shoppe vendor. I'll send Hank over sometime to find out.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
Grant Hecking 5

I couldn't believe it when Grant challenged me to a duel. Me! I've known him since he was a toddler.

The only way I could forgive him was by defeating him. "You thought you could beat me because I was an old lady, didn't you," I scolded him.
"Sorry, Willow," he said, "but you're right. I can't seem to beat anyone in a duel. Every time I try, my opponent has some new move that I've never even seen before. In fact, I've lost so many duels that I picked up the Curse of Awkward Embraces. And then, when I tried the De-Cursify spell that I learned from Morgyn, that backfired on me, too.
I whispered a couple of names in his ear, possible opponents.

In turn, he told me that there was a new Sage of Practical Magic, Laurie Buckner. "She's another bro," he said, "and we're good friends.

The girls were doing great, he told me, although not terribly enthusiastic about going to school.

"Elspeth is going to look just like her mother," he said, "but Amanda has dark hair like me."

He got Elspeth to do her homework by promising to take her to the park afterwards.

At the park, Elspeth pretended to be a pirate, while Grant was a sea serpent.

"The girls and the dads both think it's time to get a pet, but they can't agree. The dads want another dog, a small one, and the girls want a kitten. Elsa suggested we get one of each, but I think they'll end up fighting like the dog and cat in my painting."

"How's work?" I asked. "Are you still in the military?"
"Elsa is," said Grant. "I've gone into Social Media. I'm your roving magical reporter, but so far I haven't reported much, just given a shout-out from Caster's Alley."

A couple of days later I got a postcard from Grant. All 3 duels completed! And I'll have you know my last opponent was a young adult and not one of the names you gave me. Still have the curses, though...

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 10)
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2019, 12:03:11 AM »
Poor awkward Grant, the not-very-successful wizard.
Nice going, Willow, giving him the inside scoop on the weaker spellcasters.

So Grant won't be needing a familiar? Or maybe the pets will serve Amanda and Elispeth?
Haha, Elispeth does look like a young Eliza Pancakes! She's very pretty!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
Grant has a familiar, but he hasn't bound it yet. Elspeth is a spellcaster, but Amanda isn't, although both have the weak bloodline trait.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
Sterling Landgraab and Corn Gothario 6

Sterling sent me a short note:

Sterling Landgraab

Dear Willow,
All my girls are fine. Tiffany and Nanette are eating with spoons now. That's Tiffany on the left, Nanette on the right.

Claudia is making progress as a flower arranger, and is particularly good at shaping bonsai. As for the rest of us, we're all okay, just not very photogenic. Dad's a little mopey, now that he's lost some of his fame. But he's also less notorious; late-night comedians have quit making jokes about him. He's retired, but both Mom and Aunt Siobhan are still working. I'm making progress learning the piano and trying to finish my 3rd song for the guitar. That should get easier wonce both my little darlings start school. More pictures next time, I promise. Cheers, Sterling

Corn Gothario

Dear Willow,
Mother became an elder, and still looks quite pretty. Since I'm going to look just like her when I get older, that's a relief.

She "celebrated" by starting a fire. Considering all the times she's reminded me to clean the lint filter, you'd think she would remember herself, but no. Luckily Dad was at hand with the fire extinguisher.

Later, I managed to paint her portrait. It's not a masterpiece, but she and I like it.

The girls are more fun now and less needy. That's Angela and Vivian playing with the doll house.

Maria, however, prefers horsie. Or maybe I'm a T-rex? She loves it when I make dinosaur noises.

Well, we've had the toddler birthdays, just after the first of Spring, starting the Year of the Raccoon off with a bang. Maria is now cheerful, Angela is neat, and Vivian is good. I don't think I'm going to lament their toddler years.

For one thing, it's more fun picking out clothes for them. Here is Maria, heading off for school. She's like Mother -- red is her favorite color.

Angela likes purple and blue, and for some reason, wanted to wind a turban around her curly brown hair.

Vivian is all about pink.

They still sleep in the nursery, but they've turned my office into a playroom. I occasionally remark that their Aunt Claudia and I were able to manage quite nicely with just the bedroom, but they respond by saying that there were only two of us and three of them, so the extra bed takes up more room. Plus they have more toys. The voidcritter battle station, the chemistry set, and the puppet theater are all new.

Maria, as the oldest, immediately commandeered the drawing table as soon as we set it up.

Angela got busy with the chemistry set. I actually found the set inspirational -- those round bowls and linear pipes. I'm having to improve my photography skills for work, so you can expect more odd pictures.

And finally, Olivia is doing well. She found out that Max had been my lover (it was my heart tattoo, just like hers, that gave it away), but didn't mind at all. "That means the three girls really are sisters," she said delightedly. Max called me the other day, saying that he couldn't get me out of his mind and suggesting dinner, but I turned him down. Too little, too late, and besides, I am definitely faithful to Olivia. We got her a new television set, by the way, and a larger couch so that three of us can watch.
Take care, Willow, and come over sometime so I can give you a makeover. Hugs, Corn

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 15)
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
Celeste Straud, Mimi Zest, and Faith Lee-Scott 6

Celeste Straud

I don't have much to say, Celeste wrote. I've been busy with Rosa mostly, trying to teach her the words for various objects.

She's a friendly little girl, ready to meet people who come over -- in this case, Roy Newbida.

But what she really loves is dancing. Her great-uncle Max has taught her a few moves.
I'm still working as a free-lance artist, but I might go into teaching when Rosa starts school.

Mimi Zest

I've found a publisher for my books! Okay, it's Dad's publisher, but they're selling, although my royalties aren't in the same league as Dad's yet.

It's amazing I can find time to write with two toddlers in the house -- that's Nathan up on the couch and Toby making for the stereo.

It's really cute when they go running down the hall together. Toby is a bit faster than Nathan.

That might be because Nathan is still sad over Hunter's death. I don't know why he is when Toby doesn't care. Maybe it's because Nathan has an angelic temperament?

Dad calls him Not-Toby, which I hope won't give him a complex.

Toby is still his favorite, probably because he's always ready to laugh at Dad's jokes even though he doesn't understand them.

Even though I've started publishing, the real go-getter in our family has been Mom. Right after her elder birthday, she achieved the highest level in piano and reached the top of her profession. Not only that, but she also finished writing a song. Way to go, Mom!

Faith Lee-Scott

The biggest excitement at our household has been Wonder Day. Justice got ready by doing his homework.

And also working on his drawings.

Heath pumped some iron and is even more handsome now than when we got married.

And then the day was upon us. Heath tried saluting the gnomes, but they really just wanted pie.

I made the mistake of giving one coffee and then had to go apologize.

The Flower Bunny came over and we became good friends.

And I completed a collection of decorative eggs. All in all, I had a great time, even if I did have to do some gardening. (I think I'll give the seed packets I picked up to Justice.)

The next day I started my new job as a paralegal at Bagley & Buckley. I have to pass an exam and get my research and debate skills up before I can get a promotion, but I really think I'll be a better lawyer than doctor. Being squeamish won't hurt me, and being a snob can only help, right?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 21)
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Babs Newbie 6

Although toddlers are adorable, I haven't been unhappy to see my two get older.

A few hours before their birthday, I tried to impress upon Robin her new responsibilities. "Pretty soon you'll be the designated heir," I told her. "I'll have finished my job, and you'll be the torch holder."
"Torch holder!" Carl repeated. Robin was busy examining her sandwich.

Mom led off the birthday celebrations by becoming an elder, and then the twins blew out their candles while I held them.

Robin has gone from being a fussy toddler to a cheerful child, already working on her responsibility by taking out the trash.

Carl is a very good-looking boy and an art lover. I have no doubt that he'll be much in demand as some heiress's spouse. That gold plate in back of him is the first Omiscan treasure I found in Selvadorada.

Of course, besides treasure, I also brought back tarantulas. The Selvadoradans might call them spiders, but we know better. Luckily, they respond to spider repellent just as quickly as do their smaller cousins.

With Robin and Carl old enough to take care of their needs, I headed off to Selvadorada again. My first day there was very full, as I told Roy when I called him that evening.

"You're going to have to come with me some day and see the waterfall -- actually it's more of a water wall or a water cliff, especially with the spring rains.

"And the temple I found is magnificent. It's in much better repair that you'd think, given all the ruins around the jungle." I sent him the picture, and Roy agreed that it was impressive. "But how are you?" he asked. "No more poison darts, I hope?"

"We-ll," I hedged. "I did get stuck with something going through the jungle, but don't worry -- I know I can find an antidote. And I was chased by a few bees, but that wasn't really a problem.

"Some of the gates in the temple are guarded with poison gas...

...but once you figure out the trap, they're not a problem anymore.

"And really, there's only one time I passed out, but I was fine a few minutes later.

"It's all worth it when you dig up a new artifact...

"Or open up a treasure chest that's been closed a thousand years.

"I did get cursed, but making a generous gift to the Madre Cosecha took care of that problem. How are things at home?"

"Robin and Carl are learning how to play chess," he said.

"And your father was attacked by some bats." Roy's voice sounded odd, almost as if it was in stereo.

I turned around and there he was. "I've come to take you home," he said. "You've accomplished everything you need to, and now Robin can take over."
"But she's still just a child," I said. "What will she do if the toilet breaks?"
"With almost two million simoleons in cash, I think she can buy a new one," said Roy, kissing me in the rain. "She'll be fine."

Back at home I got busy authenticating one of the artifacts I'd found.

Sadly, it turned out to be a fake. The Omiscans never painted eyelashes on their masks. On my next trip -- well, I hoped it would be possible for me to have a next trip. I would just have to encourage Robin to take an interest in the Omiscans so that we could go together.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 23)
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Hugh Caliente and Cosma Curious 6

Hugh Caliente

Even though he's a father and a successful photographer, Hugh has decided to go to college.

He's working on a distinguished degree in Art History, and thinking about becoming a critic when he finishes. That may take him a while because he's only carrying 3 courses a term.

It's hard for Hugh to do homework at home, but he did do some work on his presentation.

Most of his home time, he spends with the newest member of the family, Luis.

Luis is a little charmer.

He loves being read to before bedtime.

And with so many busy people in the house, Luis sometimes spends bedtime in his high chair.

Meanwhile, Dion is doing well, and has become a B student.

Nikita sometimes connects with Hugh when she finishes work.

And sometimes she relaxes in the pool.

And sometimes, the Sixamites have other plans for Nikita, who seems to be a favorite of theirs.
J and Katrina are still going strong. Katrina is a little sad about losing her fame, but has taken to playing the guitar more. J has been notified that he should get his affairs in order, but since he's a body builder, he doesn't expect to meet the Grim Reaper any time soon.

Cosma Curious

The extra time that the Grim Reaper gave Vidcund didn't last long.

He's been returning as a ghost, however, complaining about the mess, but doing some much-needed cleaning for Cosma and her family.

Stephon had a little girl, Zara, and Cosma has been taking care of her.

Zara loves playing with the dollhouse with her daddy.

She and Oddity both go out to greet Stephon when he comes home from work.

Although Zara loves her brother and loves the dollhouse, she doesn't love his violin playing, and so she smashed the house. Cosma scolded her for that and then fixed it.

Cosma and Stephon celebrated Love Day by indulging in some Sixamite dishes at Chez Llama.

Later that evening, she surprised him with the gift of a crocus from their garden.

Brenna has an A- average at the University of Britechester. Whether her grades will suffer from a late-night visit to a spaceship remains to be seen.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Dec 29)
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
Hank Cottoneye and Grant Hecking 6, and Sterling Landgraab 7

Hank Cottoneye

I don't have much to report. I've been taking time off work to stay home and look after Jonah.

I can't say my efforts are having much effect.

Hope is stricter with him than I am. She's left the military and is working as a painter now. She says that she enjoys painting more than exercising.

Me, I'm the opposite. And seeing that Mom is still alive and kicking, I think that being in great shape is the way to go.

I plan to be around to take care of my grandchildren -- assuming the volcano doesn't get me. We do get a good haul when it erupts -- an emerald, some punium, and a raptor claw fossil this time. Over to you, Grant.

Grant Hecking

To begin with, I actually saw Willow Wisely the other day. She was dressed rather oddly, so I asked her what she was up to.
"If you don't interfere in my life, I won't interfere in yours," she said.
"Willow, you've been interfering in my life and everyone else's since before I was born," I couldn't resist responding.
She sniffed. "Well, I won't interfere any more," she said. And then she soared off on her sponge mop. I think she's still cross with me about the duel.

I've been working on becoming an internet personality, giving my followers some insights into the life of a spellcaster. I do shout-outs from the Realm and introduce them to various personages, like the Practical Sage Laurie Buckner and the Untamed Sage Morgyn Ember.

I also show off the highs of casting (brewing a successful potion)…

...as well as the lows (a decursify spell gone wrong). Yes, I now pick up too much charge in my spells and have a tendency to give awkward hugs.

But I keep my private life separate. My followers don't need to know that I congratulated Dad Brant on getting his promotion.

They don't need to know that I'm developing my skills on the guitar (although I do plan to put in a plug for my new song, "Sad Waterfall").

And they certainly don't need to know when I serenade my lovely Elsa. Elspeth and Amanda are staying out of my shout-outs for the time being, but I expect they'll make an appearance eventually.

Sterling Landgraab

I've been having fun playing with my fairy princess Nanette.

When I'm not getting struck by lightning, that is. Luckily I was able to get inside before a second bolt could get me.

Tiffany is quite the active child and also hard-working. She has the Civic Responsibility badge already.

She can thank the messes at the playground for that. Unfortunately, they made her so grumpy that she couldn't really enjoy playing space explorer, and by the time she finished cleaning them up she had to come home.

We celebrated Freedom Day by going swimming at The Bluffs. Mom and Dad stayed home with Nanette, but I was able to show off my diving skill to Claudia, Tiffany, and Aunt Siobhan.

I did a perfect swan dive and then flopped the next time.

Tiffany demonstrated the cannonball technique.

Afterwards I rode the bicycle around for a bit. "Does this helmet make me look like a nerd?" I asked Claudia.
"A safe nerd," she said. "A nerd who is setting a good example for his children."
Bottom line is yes.

Claudia has been busy developing her ability to arrange flowers.

She makes some lovely arrangements, but she's still prettier than any flower I've ever seen.

No more toddlers in the house -- Nanette had her birthday, with Aunt Siobhan singing for her.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jan 5)
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »
Corn Gothario, Celeste Straud, Mimi Zest, and Faith Lee-Scott 7

All four of the young women agreed that they had been too focused on skills and children to take many pictures.

Corn Gothario

"Actually I have been taking pictures," said Corn. "I've been working on my photography skill. I'd hoped to have a good picture of everyone in the household. But Mother turned her back just as I snapped the picture and refused to let me share it.

"Dad gave me a lovely shot.

"And so did Olivia, who looks beautiful from every angle.

"Maria made herself scarce, and Vivian turned to get something out of the refrigerator just as I clicked the camera.

"But I was able to get Angela in profile.

"And Claudia came over to see Dad after hearing that he'd received his first notice from Grim. I think he'll still be with us for a long time, though, because he works out so much.

"I finally was able to get a picture of Mother, but she's way at the back, almost invisible. And then I handed the camera to Olivia so she could take a picture of me.

"She got a great shot of me and Claudia together, under our umbrellas.

"And a good one of me, looking smug about my soon-to-be masterpiece."

Celeste Straud

"The only picture I have of myself is the one where I'm helping Rosa blow out the candles on her birthday cake," said Celeste.

"She's turned out to be a beautiful child.

"That's not surprising, considering how handsome Brendan is. I think she's going to look just like him.

"And I hope Uncle Max won't annoy her too much. I don't want her to grow up to be hot-headed. Gloomy is bad enough.

"By the way, Uncle Max is an adult now, and he received birthday presents from Maria and Angela Gothario and Vivian Kim-Lewis, which we all thought a little strange." Celeste looked over at Corn, whose expression remained bland.

"Last but not least, my brother Frank has become a Llamacorn Scout and should graduate from high school soon. And Dad changed jobs, leaving the top of his career as a botanist to become a lowly process server. But he says it keeps him from getting dull and that he expects to have quite a few different careers by the time our family reaches its 10th generation."

Mimi Zest

"As usual, I have hardly any pictures," Mimi began. "I think the Watcher hates me. Or at least, considers me unphotogenic.

"Anyway, Toby is developing quite an imagination. It worries me a little that he's thinking about pink sparkly ponies, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.

"I did get a shot of the other three men in my life -- Dad, Nathan, and Dale. They're a good-looking crew, I think.

"And that brings me to the subject of our aquarium coffee table. I mean, we've had the thing as long as I can remember, and the fish have never been fed. I don't even see how they get oxygen. Maybe the top of the table is porous enough to let in air but not so porous that the water escapes? I keep having this urge to take a sledge hammer to the top and see what happens. Anyway, don't be surprised if the next screenplay I do is about a bunch of fish."

Faith Lee-Scott

"If you're looking for more inspiration, Mimi, you might consider the clouds of smoke that my Mom's rocket-ship leaves behind," said Faith. "I'd love to do a painting of them, but it's hard to get my easel in the right position.

"Speaking of painting, I did a portrait of Dad. I think it's a good companion for the one I did of Mom.

"Working as a paralegal now means I spend a lot of time on the computer.

"In fact, I traded in my Milton Word Processor for an ERAM. It's expensive, but it's only good for research so I don't have to shoo away people who want to play video games.

"To be honest, Heath is more interested in television than gaming. I found him crying over Simder the other evening -- so sweet.

"And Justice is usually either playing with his toys or drawing.

"But Mom's starting to get interested in gaming. I guess it's easier for her now that she's getting old and has back trouble."

There was one topic the four of them didn't want to discuss -- the fact that Babs Newbida was on the verge of handing over the reins of her dynasty to her daughter Robin. Babs might be the first to fade into the background, but it would happen soon for all of them...

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jan 11)
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2020, 01:28:20 PM »
TABLE OF CONTENTS, GENERATION 3

Robin Newbida, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Maria Gothario, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Dion Caliente, 1, 2, 3, 4
Tiffany Landgraab, 1, 2, 3, 4
Rosa Straud, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Toby Zest, 1, 2, 3, 4
Justice Lee-Scott, 1, 2, 3, 4
Oddity Curious, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jonah Cottoneye, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Elspeth Hecking, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Willow Wisely -- End of an Era