Author Topic: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 2 Pt. 8)  (Read 31244 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 1 Pt. 6)
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 10:53:15 PM »
In short, I'm having a good time right now. :P

I am having a good time reading about you having a good time, Trip. :D

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 1 Pt. 7)
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »
Heiva, Part Seven

Can you believe it's the wedding chapter? Even if it's not the one you're thinking of (please don't kill me) Then again, yet another one of our engaged couples has given up the ghost, and this time, I can't resurrect her.

Or can I?

Kaila got the death flower from her job, actually. She never grew one. Once Niles died and left behind a medium tombstone, I knew that she could hold onto it unless I decided that enough was enough with her. And fortunately, Kaila isn't an annoying sim.

The party's back on!

So then The Overlook got its addition of a wedding arch and some chairs. I never place enough chairs. I learned that the wedding cake from The Store doesn't work without Generations (or I installed it wrong?) but thankfully before I planned the wedding.

And Tinsley even managed to wear her formalwear for this gay occasion.

Not every couple gets to be watched by their son-in-law's baby momma (Theodora Jayne, the fairy, more on that one in a bit!), their ghostly son-in-law, and the other one's son's future mother-in-law (Maggie Strong, looking snazzy after a makeover!) And not every couple gets to share the event with the marriage of their son and his ghost husband either.

Yeah, I decided to upstage Kaila and Tinsley. Oh well!

I had to place a light right under the arch. Kiwi might glow but Amedee doesn't.

Heiva was still in career limbo, but he's always been a good kid who wanted his new stepbrother and old friend/enemy/frenemy to be together until Kiwi faded into the aether. I scheduled the wedding on Heiva's only day off, so he couldn't have any hard feelings about it.

Iris, who even had her white dress (courtesy of me, I got ahead of myself with the styling station), was less than pleased to be wasting it.

The rest of this update is just miscellaneous tidbits before we prepare for Heiva to leave. Imagine he is progressing up the career ladder right before your eyes~

During the house's perpetual honeymoon phase, I gave the actual house one last makeover to look less..."dynasty". Gone were rocking chairs for pollinators and Tinsley's alchemy station, and gone was Heiva's weight machine. We now had a normal four-bedroom house. Amedee and Auguste were getting into more brotherly fights, though, and I was a little sick of it.

As much as the garden mattered to me and the household's income, they were sitting on $300,000 and the garden was a dirt-covered eyesore. I always wanted to make it into a zen garden but didn't have the right idea until that point. The easels are for Amedee, the martial arts equipment is for Heiva when he visits (it's outside so he doesn't have to wait for someone to be home), and the middle is a resting place for the best dog: Tama. Thank you for all that Supernovium.

Auguste meanwhile had four sons with his fiancee, Corrine. I did not get a marriage shot of them, but she enjoyed the new bikini as much as I he did. Thanks for the plutonium and smelting jobs, not for much else sorry!

I promised to explain Theodora and Kiwi. I was originally saving Theodora for one of Auguste's sons (her genes + Maru Mango's go together nicely) but was getting impatient. This is the first and last I ever saw of Kiwi's many ghostly babies with her. He got to break my kid limit intentionally, because of an inconvenient truth about inactive, in-town ghosts: they disappear when they have to age up.

Okay so I first noticed this in Moonlight Falls, since there are a number of inactive ghosts living in houses like normal sims. And I really wanted one of them in a Moonlight Falls dynasty of mine at some point, but they wouldn't last. I checked the ages of these ghosts and they would disappear on schedule with their next birthday.

This didn't bode well for Kiwi's ghost spawn, of which five (!!) are missing forever (he had two, a human and a fairy, that we haven't seen the last of). And as Kiwi was becoming an adult, it didn't bode well for him either.

Thankfully, his adult birthday hit before Heiva was ready to move out, but by literal hours.

Heiva had yet to propose to Iris, but with her wedding dress still there and waiting for him to actually schedule a wedding party, he could at least get a little closer. They went to one of the beaches and still didn't beat Tinsley and Kaila at a scenic proposal (sorry!)

And most of all, finally and at last, Heiva was a Sports Legend and in desperate need of a day off so he could get married. With eight days until his elder birthday, it wasn't a moment too soon! The team, composed entirely of elders at this point, would just have to win a game without him somehow.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 1 Pt. 6)
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 11:05:35 PM »
In short, I'm having a good time right now. :P

I am having a good time reading about you having a good time, Trip. :D

Now that's the spirit! Maybe not the spirit of this forum though, because there always comes a time when a dynasty isn't fun. :P

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 1 Pt. 8)
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Heiva, Part Eight

Heiva's closing statements start with a very familiar sight for a decadynasty with an adopted baby in tow.

Kiwi and Amedee elected to adopt Kalena and fulfill their mutual wishes for children. And to think I'd let a clone-face sim into my own house without even giving them plastic surgery! (EA really did me dirty by not allowing frivolous cosmetic surgery for toddlers, rude) It could have been a last ditch effort to meet a social worker, but Tinsley completed that ages ago. And I could have just adopted another pet instead.

But nah, I had another strategy: everyone in the house was aging, and without someone young to live there, the house would be empty before I knew it and I would be unable to access the inside. But Kalena would keep the house in my family's hands for a little while longer. I had no idea if I would need to go inside again. Probably not though.

Although she was doomed to forever be generic, she somehow had Amedee's dark skin and the golden hair that Kiwi appeared to have as a ghost. All through chance!

And you can't deny that the ideal family is an adopted daughter, a dad, a ghost dad, and a party-happy stepmum.

This wasn't the last we ever saw of Kiwi, but his closing action in the household was to usher in the Ling/Strong family as part of them with a keg stand. Truly iconic.

Unlike some brides or grooms, Iris arrived on time and in the right attire. I know the strategy of inviting the inactive bride or groom over separate from the party invite is a legit strategy for making sure your spouse actually goes to your wedding, but they won't automatically change into formalwear unless they're on the guest list. Granted I get that not everyone bothers with styling future spouses anyways. Iris was a whole lot younger than Heiva because of it, by four or five weeks for sure, even though they were born about a week apart.

Ah well.

I decided to be reasonable for the wedding and invite only Iris' family, as well as Auguste and Corrine because they're family too. Kalena stayed at home with a babysitter (not our NPC friend babysitter, who was quite old by then) Our count of guests who actually sat or stood in the right place was mediocre.

Cody Ling, one of Iris' brothers, is the one sitting to the back/right of Amedee, and Taurus Ling is furthest off the left, with his bad hair back in business. Corrine is in the violet dress and next to Tinsley.

And Iris? She was gorgeous. Heiva and I truly were in sync this time.

It was a little hard bidding good-bye to Kaila and her crew. At least she was alive and happily married until her dying day, a co-owner of her dead ex-partner's large house, and ready to leave behind a large tombstone that I couldn't use.

Congratulations Heiva and Iris!

Even if Iris may have finally been wondering what kind of bizarre family she married into.

Generation One: Heiva Ling (nee Swift)

56 Paradise Circle

Born: Day 8 (Week 2, Day 1) to Kaila Swift and Niles Fitzpatrick
Honor Roll: Child & Teen
NPC Friends: Jessie Goth (Burglar), Bree Moncrief (Social Worker), Frederick Youngblood (Maid), Carissa Parrott (Firefighter), Shanda Tinsley (Babysitter), Papaya Cruz (Mail Carrier), Tawanna Wren (Newspaper Deliverer), Harold Bowens (Pizza Deliverer), Edna Barrow (Mascot), Donna Moses (Repowoman)
Best Friends: Aaron Keilani, Iris Ling, Mitzi Keilani, Angarika Goyave, Camilla Wilcox, Ginny Hale, Martin Pepper, Taurus Ling, Katherine Grantham, Hector Hoffman
Career: Professional Sports
Supermax Athletic
Black Ops: Stinky Bugs, Stadium Cleanup, Hawking the Foam Finger, Add It Up, Jog Everywhere, Inter-office League, No Sweat!, The Big Game, The Focused Athlete, Meditation Benefits
Building: Riku's Luau Diner
Property: The Overlook
Tombstone: Niles Fitzpatrick (medium)
Collection: Metals, $248,633
Adult? TOO ADULT TO HANDLE (seriously we were closing in on his last week)

As you might see, we're taking the wife's last name for the dynasty line (most of my townie kids are the opposite though). Heiva got his mother's name by default since she was basically a single mother this time, so I'm running with it. I'm leaving the heir's sex up to sim wishes or chance. And what kind of family dynamic does Iris have with her many brothers anyways?

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
For some reason your "TOO ADULT TO HANDLE" line took me to "You can't handle the truth" line from A Few Goofy Good Men.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »

I'm just amazed that you got a kid named Bimble. Haha, who put that name on the pool??

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »
For some reason your "TOO ADULT TO HANDLE" line took me to "You can't handle the truth" line from A Few Goofy Good Men.

He's handled the truth of "pro. sports isn't the career for a dynasty like this never again" because I made Heiva retire pretty quickly after his marriage leave was up.

I'm just amazed that you got a kid named Bimble. Haha, who put that name on the pool??

I am still absolutely floored that it made it past quality control. I recently confirmed that he died young, which is what I would do if my parents named me Bimble of course.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
Hua, Part One

Hua Ling was born on Week 12, Day 1 (Day 6 after moving in), as another witch who was Good and Loved the Outdoors. We later added Angler, Couch Potato, and Daredevil. Dad's tiberium ($396,888) in encased in glass behind her.

But the beginning?

Heiva moved into a household alright. Here's the census data:

- Maggie Ling, née Strong. Original townie, wants to be a Heartbreaker, 88 days old but I can fix that.

- Cody and Nicholaus Ling, adults and brothers. Moved out after I found a wife for Cody. I was petty and did this because they disliked Iris a lot. One was a mermaid.

- Taurus Ling, also an adult. Wants to be a firefighter and save 35 sims, but I doubt it. Feeling like the most likely tombstone candidate.

- Iris Ling, young adult, best dynasty wife ever.

I know my claim about Iris is bold, but I felt so much ease once Heiva married her. Everything about her was useful to the decadynasty. And in fact, I could just keep presenting the spouses like this:

- Traits: Brave, Dramatic, Hot-Headed, Disciplined, and Charismatic. I could keep the hot-headed temper in check, and charismatic is basically a socialization cheat code that happens to be a trait. You can spam the same social however many times you desire.

- LTW: Super Popular, which means a great incentive for making and keeping required friends.

- Skills: started with four points in charisma. Because charisma is self-raising as long as your sim talks to others, any start with it counts. Right off the bat she could get sims very close to the friend level just by using a charming introduction.

- Genes: two original townie parents, and even an original townie grandpa. Was the only one of Maggie's kids to get her purple-tinted hair.

Speaking of hair, all of Iris' brothers got Grandpa Julien's reddish hair. Maggie had black hair with purple streaks before I gave her an elder dye job, and Bae was a blond. What are the odds anyways? Well I asked my brother, who crunches numbers for a living, and he said "Trip please get a real hobby."

Supposedly, according to real XML tuning for TS3, sims have a whopping 50% chance of having a grandparent's hair color. It sounds too high but it might be hidden by the fact that plenty of sim parents might share a hair color with their own parents (Maggie did not in this case). Anyways, the chance of three sims in a family having grandpa's hair is 12.5%. The few, the proud~

I feel like I'm avoiding something. I didn't get started on my heir right away, because tombstones and pollinating loom over me more.

Taurus basically lived at the fire station for the rest of his adult years. He would eat, sleep, shower, etc. on his own, and I had to direct for actual skilling and emergencies. He would go to emergencies but then go somewhere next door to have a coffee or watch TV. Some emergencies were bugged too but we had to deal. Normal firefighter profession stuff! We covered this with Rahiti! But Rahiti didn't get the gnome emergency, which is just such a hilarious concept to me.

Also, he got switched to the Renaissance Sim LTW eventually, because he needed handiness and athletic for his job. A third skill wouldn't be that hard.

I actually had no moral issues with pursuing Maggie's LTW, though. I couldn't get all her conquests on a screenshot, but Rachel Alto and Ramona Parrott were among her first. With a time squeeze, Maggie would break up with them immediately. Sometimes I could even get through two boyfriends/girlfriends in a day (but also I didn't work on it every day)

Otherwise, Maggie was a normal but driven grandma. She got an offer to switch from her job as a police lieutenant to becoming a doctor, which I accepted. Maggie also had a few skill points in logic, so I had a head start with getting someone to tutor my heir. And some motivation to do so, for her new career.

Heiva finally took some time to work on his spellcasting. I wasn't really intent on mastering it yet, but I really wanted him to be able to cast love charms for...ya know...my purposes. When he wasn't annoying his brother-in-law with spells, he visited mum for a duel! Kaila was still doing well, as far as I was concerned.

Amedee was more of a homebody than the rest of his household (read: I was mean and didn't invite him to parties), but he was still playing guitar a lot, and Kalena grew up into a kid with an alright wardrobe. She'd later be a reliable client for Iris to re-style, don't worry.

Oh, and I had to ensure that our heir would have friends their age too. Heiva moved in Courtney Grantham and introduced him to Leilani Kahale.

Our other first-wave pollinator was Omar Keilani, who I swear was doing fun stuff in back of City Hall with Rachel Alto, but I have no photographic evidence. I have him proposing to his werewolf boyfriend by the time he was done, though. In-laws fighting in the back are just a bonus.

And I made a fun observation about sim weight?

This shot of Maggie will provide context, I promise. If you open up a fresh Sunlit Tides and either play the Strongs or meet them somewhere, you'll see that Maggie starts as a chunky teen. Not the fattest a sim can be, but fat. It doesn't matter in The Sims.

I got story progression-related weight changes quite a bit in this save. Or I thought I did but as it turns out, many changes were a side-effect of Heiva going to the gym all the time. There's a "Schrodinger's Cat" effect on sims, where even in an open world they're mostly in a weird limbo unless being watched. Here's a thread from 2010 about it, and here's a slightly more recent and succinct post by @Silverbella about it, especially as it pertains to werewolves and gyms. I'll just quote her on gyms, this stuck with me ever since I read it.

I do this with the gym now all the time.  Every day some static sims are spawned in the gym, and while my game is paused I check to see who's there.  If it's some townie that I'd like to slim down I just click play and leave the camera there, and they then proceed to workout all day.  This is how I got Branch to slim down in my game.

Now I didn't go to the gym just to get inactive sims to slim down. I had a supermax to complete instead. But inevitably some sims would take up the treadmills. Maggie and Iris definitely did. Iris ended up getting more-or-less back to her original weight by the time Heiva married her, and honestly, I had to eliminate her because pregnancy could have easily affected her weight too. Maggie slimmed down before having children, and stayed slim afterwards until she was in my active household. But children aside, I had a stronger feeling that maybe this had to do with Maggie being an original townie, and Iris simply being the child of one.

I forgot to get screenshots of Iris' before-and-after marriage weights but they were about the same. And an after shot of Maggie. But here's the original, fresh-ST-save Maggie. Just aged up:

And her in a previous save, mere days before Heiva and Iris' wedding:

Her weight on Day 10 after their wedding (my only early ref point, sorry) was back to the original. I even got to confirm this with another unrelated original townie but that's for when we meet them.

And did I make anyone lose weight before making an heir?

Nah, they got quick wishes for children with each other and I wasn't going to mess around anymore, I promise. Iris wanted a girl, and Heiva was indifferent.

Unlike with Kaila many moons ago, Iris had a super-boring, happy pregnancy. Heiva lent her an old sports jersey, it had all the extra room she needed.

Iris mostly threw parties. Her lifetime wish was getting close to completion already, and I was already meeting NPCs. I was using the same strategy that I did with the first household, though there may have been some unintended consequences.

So this is Carissa Parrott. She starts out as an original NPC firefighter, and was still alive after 11 weeks of gameplay. I was starting to see a trend with some NPCs. A few were still alive because of a combo of factors:

1. They were befriended by sims living in-town.

2. But they were hardly interracted with, so they'd stay in NPC limbo.

I didn't feel comfortable using Carissa as my firefighter NPC friend again (Decadynasty friends don't have to be unique but it feels more right for them to be). And I didn't need her genes because the town was full of Parrotts anyways. But I figured I'd see how far I could make this NPC immortality ruse last for. As of the beginning of Gen 3, she's still around.

(Also, one of my official NPC friends this generation was a maid named Tyrone Parrott, but there's no relation to any Parrotts in town I promise)

Anyways, Iris went into labor at her party. Nicholaus, her least favorite brother, and sister-in-law Bettina (who she actually was close friends with; Bettina was a generic NPC I gave plastic surgery to) were panicking like family should.

Kaila wasn't calm either, but she got to witness the birth of her first grandchild.

And so we got Hua. I decided to go with Chinese names for this generation, though the next generation of Lings might not follow. I also wanted a "flower" name, and remembered that I have an aunt who is fluent in Mandarin. When I asked her for suggestions, she said "Trip please get a real hobby."

We just went with the Chinese word for "flower".

Iris wasn't alone either. Leilani went into labor on the balcony. I forget which kid was born then. She had four with Courtney in pretty rapid succession: Gregg, Jarred, Rhonda, and Angelique. And to finish the census for the chapter, Omar and Rachel had three: Marta, Ari, and Arnold. Ari and Angelique were eaten by story progression as teens (I learned recently that it was the legendary Bimble Sapota's fate too)

Soon after Hua's birth, I got the message that Kaila wasn't long for the world. She had to work on her last day alive, and disappeared inside her home before dying. I want to think I got the best last shot of her, though. Kaila was a happy, quirky witch and mad scientist. And she got a huge tombstone too.

I'm kind of lagging a generation behind here and I have NaNoWriMo plans looming over my head. I'm gonna try to bang out as much as I can but we'll see if I get sidetracked by literally every other dynasty idea I have sweet jesus- in December.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 2 Pt. 1)
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 01:56:32 AM »
You should do what I did one year for NaNo ... and write a fan fiction of someone playing a Dynasty in Sims 3. :D

Actually, no you shouldn't, I think I got to 1000 words on it before it bored even me. :P

Offline Trident

• Occult
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
Ah, the threat of NaNo, which looms over al of us like the specter of Death. I'm gonna be shooting for 30k in an original work, myself. Good luck with juggling everything!

("Trip, please get a real hobby" got a real laugh out of me! Can't believe your family doesn't realize that playing God is a real hobby.)

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
You should do what I did one year for NaNo ... and write a fan fiction of someone playing a Dynasty in Sims 3. :D

Actually, no you shouldn't, I think I got to 1000 words on it before it bored even me. :P

Finally, an idea for a true tragedy. 😔

I did consider making my next dynasty idea my NaNoWriMo entry (since it's a lot more plot-driven/"literary" than me making a pollination diary here) but I want to branch outside of sims storytelling eventually so that just means shelving that until December. I don't want to leave but I want to have many skills. ;)

Ah, the threat of NaNo, which looms over al of us like the specter of Death. I'm gonna be shooting for 30k in an original work, myself. Good luck with juggling everything!

("Trip, please get a real hobby" got a real laugh out of me! Can't believe your family doesn't realize that playing God is a real hobby.)

30k is a great goal too! I think I'll be good as long as I can put my other projects aside. I do that all the time without it being November.

Nah in all seriousness most of my family understands...my Mandarin-fluent aunt's daughter is a casual simmer too. I'm just very afraid of her figuring out who I am. :P

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
Hua, Part Two

Hua's room was unfinished and very open, enough for the whole household to crowd inside just to attend to her. However, Uncle Taurus developed a running bug pretty much as soon as we moved in, so he could attend to emergency diaper changes that easily. I was definitely presenting things out of order, so there's Omar Keilani in the back, waiting for his gay wedding and donor babies.

Heiva and Iris were kicking it back as new parents and letting everyone else take over. Heiva still visited the old house after Kaila passed away so he could break some space rock blocks. Iris madeover sims even though she was still technically on maternity leave. I'm pretty sure her LTW was done around this time. 20 friends comes fast when the house is in party mode several times a week. Also, we had either of them as tombstone candidates if it came down to that, but the early days of Hua's life was all about the two sims I actually wanted to die.

Taurus came home from the fire station only to repair and upgrade around the house. I still wanted him to have a lover, though, as a relationship = happiness, and happiness = a tombstone. But he was being resistant on that front. Maybe Heiva would have to intervene, but not now.

Actually, I was trying to trigger more "become a grandparent" wishes for Maggie. I think Iris or her other brother fulfilled one for her, but what's the big deal with more? They're worth 2,000 a pop! So I invited Nicholaus over to hang out, and Iris tried to get one of her paparazzi friends to see the value in her own hated brother.

Alas, Maggie got to work to an even bigger wish instead, and Nicholaus died childless eventually. What happened to Heiva anyways? He looks different.

Back to that later, what else has grandma been doing?

Because Maggie was still lagging behind on the logic skill for her job (she was on track to be able to tutor Hua in the future though), vaccination clinics weren't a bad way to get her some job progress and meet townies. Not all of them were useful to Hua, but a townie friend is a townie friend. Corrine Gonzalo (now Fitzpatrick) the firefighter, Theodora Jayne getting a vaccine, and Kacey Candelaria in her civilian clothes. I later learned that she was in a relationship with Theodora, pretty tight if you ask me.

Some of Maggie's new conquests were Marco Lemuel, original townie Len Tsang (cured of werewolfism), and another paparazzi. She kind of helped me keep tabs on pollinators, as Marco and Len were definitely on my list.

Hua was a cute toddler before I even knew it. She looked a lot like her mother already, which was all I ever wanted in life. Even her random clothes almost matched, but alas, Hua didn't like pink. Irish Green was her kind of thing.

One mohawk later, and Hua was ready to learn and to snuggle more. Her supermax could get an earlier start than Heiva's, and I would decide to take that risk after telling you all that I wouldn't. But I haven't foreshadowed anything about it either.

It's fishing. Haven't supermaxed that in ages. Hua cries at my incompetence.

And she's a witch! Kaila was truly looking after us from beyond.

I wanted to extend Heiva's adulthood but forgot to. He could still break space rocks as an elder, so I had one more chance to keep him alive indefinitely. Fountain of Youth elixirs were becoming super rare at the elixir shop for some reason, and I didn't have Tinsley make any to store in the chest in her backyard (it's an old Decadynasty tip but definitely a good place to keep good produce and elixirs for the future; Heiva's first goal in China was to get one and the martial arts were almost an afterthought)

And so we see Heiva's new hair and shirt. He was looking alright for an elder, even if Kaila's nose wasn't doing him any favors in old age. I was tired of working around his job schedule, so he retired and could find gems all day if he felt like it.

But the collection could always remain on hold for the sake of his little girl, whether he liked it or not.

I'm all about babies right now, even the grown up ones. I talked about my last few townie babies from last generation before, so let's find as many pictures as we can. Iris ran into a few such candidates in her job.

First was Antwan Hoffman, Helen Hoffman and Suzuki Hinata's fairy son. I didn't know what to expect under his father's sunglasses but he doesn't look much like his mum either.

She made over Karim Sapota, the first fully second generation original townie spawn (i.e. both of his parents were the children of two original townies). He was hiding under some emo hair, reminding me that this game is definitely a product of the 2000's, but that was a shame because he has these big sweet eyes.

We've seen Claire the blonde as a child, but here she is with her sister, Leann. Yes, they are actually part of a set of triplets. I'm sure they have to clarify that every day. :(

Daniel Pleasant is their dad. So maybe you're a Carl's Guide dynasty veteran and have truly read everything, because I saw Leann and immediately thought back to @ArianaJade's How to Take Over the World and her born in-game Angela Pleasant's unfortunate face. Leann 100% has that but I always thought it was an interesting feature instead of something to fear, though also something unfortunate enough for me to remember after six years? I think I just miss Ariana. She's a vampire now and Claire and their brother grew old and withered away. I wanted to have plans for them but I don't always think fast.

I had another idea for this last screenshot, but here's Trinity Jayne getting slapped by his now ex-girlfriend, Venus Hoffman (who later died). He's Kiwi's fairy son, with his dark eyes that I swear he had while living. Really lovely sim actually! I swear and not just because he's on the spouse list.

I'm out of screenshots but his younger sister, Winter, didn't stay in hiding either.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 2 Pt. 3)
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
Hey, so this isn't a chapter, but an aside about sim genes that didn't fit in but I wanted to say anyways. It's something I see briefly discussed or at least gawked at a lot but not really explained.

I'm gonna warn you, this is nitpicky and pointless and unremarkable as all hell, but I know that it is, so here's a link to the next normal update.

Here's Marco Lemuel at the makeover station. Last townie baby I wanted to show last update until this had to be written. I'm really fascinated with finding male sims who have this facial slider...conflict? It's that thing underneath his lower lip, which is actually his teeth/tongue/inner mouth. Gross. Also not my first rodeo with this.

This is a bug that I've only seen visible in children and male teen/YA/adult townies. It takes an extreme combination of sliders to happen. I was just going to speculate but then I remembered that I can recreate it with a zero-slider sim as my control. Thankfully, TS3 has an abundance of them, even in the CAS bin. I ain't in Sunset Valley but Gage Briody can haunt me forever.

And a little magic later...

Eugh!

The moved sliders in question:

Changed: Mouth Height and Depth, Face Height and Profile

You don't necessarily need them at their extreme points to start to get this glitch. Nor are they the only sliders that affect it. Jaw shape (moving to the left/making the jaw more square increasing it, and moving to the right/making the jaw more round decreasing it) and sim weight (fat masks a lot) are others I found.

For some reason I have yet to see it on female sims that aren't children. Marco's mother, Ursula Lemuel, looked fine. Another female sim who sometimes produces children with this bug is Claire Ursine. Who isn't considered an attractive sim usually, but her face is in one piece. I think that fact about her is often ignored because she is programmed to have a girl who will grow up looking normal, and let's be real, she's often not touched beyond that.

There are some male sims who truly didn't pass quality control and have this to a minor degree (though only visible at some angles). Lincoln Baker of Twinbrook and Calvin Riffin of Appaloosa Plains have a tiny bit of lower lip clipping, which they can potentially pass down to sons. But beyond something you have to look at zoomed in, there actually is one singular worst original townie offender of this, and probably the only reason I've actually had to look at the slider-related cause of this. Is there even an original townie I'm obsessed with? Have I shaken off this reputation?

No, I'm still Harwood Clay's #1 biggest fan, and I will not give up my title. Here's some young Harwood, because you're gonna see too many beautiful people in this decadynasty and may question if I'm still myself.

I feel a little guilty about making a huge deal out of his big, luscious lips or at least the children who get them. Harwood has it in him to make truly gorgeous offspring. I gamble with it every time I'm in Twinbrook, and I use the word gamble because he is one ugly little gremlin man. But that's my philosophy about ugly original townies: no one is irredeemable on every level.

Sometime after I got TS4 I wondered about the philosophy of extreme sliders. Of course, it was a question in my head while I tried to make Harwood. I settled for TS4 Harwood actually being kind of androgynous and pretty because they definitely nerfed a lot of slider capacity in TS4. And sims generally being pretty is one of TS4's selling point, at least from talking to some former TS3 players who are truly never going back. I've never seen a clipping issue that could arise from truly ordinary slider use in TS4 either, so maybe that was their lesson learned too late. But on the other hand, I like the relative lack of boundaries in TS3, even at the expense of animations even working right.

Who knows. I was mostly getting nostalgic for one of my favorite TS3 sims, who maybe you remember, and probably don't. Alhena Ironstar:

She was Harwood's granddaughter, and retained his large eyes, large lips, and not his cheeks or jaw but his global face sliders for profile/face height. Her mum (Alhena was essentially just a clone of her) was the only TS3 child I ever saw who inherited sliders from both parents for a part of the face, instead of how features are inherited as whole parts. I guess I might be on the lookout for that from my decadynasty kids! The coding for sim genes is supposed to be very simple, but that's still a big surprise to me.

I can't gush over her looks forever though, because then I remember her son. He never got the chance to grow up thanks to dynasty failure, but now I think that fate was looking out for him.

It got even worse!

I could have just not closed this with a lovingly madeover Heathcliff but I've been thinking about my old dynasty families. Or at least this one. Not just because of Marco Lemuel's wonky jaw (it started way before then), but nothing like a facial glitch to make me route it back to Twinbrook, huh?

But this dynasty will not route there. At least...not yet. Sunlit Tides is holding up, despite some bumps along the road.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 2 Pt. 2)
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »
Hua, Part Three

Now my actual favorite baby in this dynasty gen was Maka, a cute white puppy. Heiva actually found a lot of tiberium on his own, but lest I have to supplement with...[shudders]...pink diamonds, a dog had to fill in.

Little Hua absolutely adored him as a tot! Finally someone in the house who's her size.

Unfortunately, Hua aged up both without a party and also without potty training. I can deal with random traits but this one was...Athletic! Heiva weeps! And yes, I replaced it with Couch Potato the moment that the Midlife Crisis LTR was available (thank god this is legal for the decadynasty), which is only for YA and up. It actually made teenhood very precarious for Hua, because she wanted to work out all the time and the only thing I could to stop it was keep an eye on her queue.

She turned out fat like Heiva, but also was definitely in the ranks of cute sim kids like dad once was. Maka grew up alongside her as well. He was the first big dog I ever got in a decadynasty!

And as it turned out, I had a lot of photos of him for when Hua was being boring. She had the usual job of meeting youths around town.

I was really disturbed by her declarations of love at first. Aren't you a little young for this? Can you at least wait until you're the same age as the Jayne kids? But as it turns out, that's just the animation for sims who love the outdoors when they go to the park. And new for me, because I never make me sims go outside.

I had my ideas for Hua's spouse that didn't necessarily involve Trinity Jayne, but he and the rest of his family liked to hang out at the park. Hua made friends with him and his sister, but the screenshots may remain lost. Here's Winter getting madeover instead:

Cute!

Her getting close with the Kahale kids, meanwhile, may have had a few more pictures devoted to it...but maybe later in her life. Unfortunately I'm getting close to having to recount disaster for the Lings, which I'm dreading, and Hua's generation yielded far less filler than her dad's for those moments.

So Maggie's ex, Len Tsang, was cured of his lycanthropy and moved in before Maggie actually made him her ex. I swear she was a sweet woman! Just ruthless with her LTW. But actually finding a purpose for him was going to be much harder than it seemed.

The best way to handle decadynasty babies (i.e. leaving mum out of the household) means leaving things like the sex of babies out of my control. This usually works out and I get a male-to-female sex ratio I can work with. Never do I recall having so many boys born or at least surviving and remaining useful. And a lot of the girls, if they survived to adulthood, had brothers who were more useful in some way. For instance, I used Omar Keilani because his sister, Mitzi, turned into a werewolf and probably would need a Fountain of Youth elixir if I cured her for breeding. Those were in short supply. Courtney Grantham was used because his fairy sister shacked up with Pearl Yang, who was higher up on the breeding list than a Grantham woman because she lacked other family. Some families were boys only, such as Harold Sapota's (himself having only a brother) and Auguste's, but only one was girl-only (Gilberto Gonzalo and Nina Aolani had two daughters after all).

Now the population of generic new female sims was larger, as it tends to be, but I wasn't going to propagate those features if I could help it. What's a watcher to do? Praise the lord that I enabled Pets?

I had fun with Caryn Sowers, a former elixir store clerk with a gross hair color and now a better face.

Sometimes it feels like cheating to alter townies. There aren't any rules about changing them through in-game means but some of the fun of reading others' decadynasties is the wacky townie fashion and not knowing anything about your new spouse and maybe even dreading when a whole dynasty loses any unique features (can't relate!) It's like violating a cultural norm, if not a lawful one, whenever I think my heir's future spouse could use a stylist makeover or I use the power of intermarriage to look at a family tree and get a potential spouse's traits. But then I remember that culture is fake and I can do what I want.

Actually affording the $2,800 for facial surgery was a little hard for the household at that time. Unfortunately no one was a huge cash cow and that would have to wait for Hua. Guess that shows what my values are, huh!

Len and Caryn had one surviving son: Nikolas. He looks mostly like her.

Heiva and Iris were sitting on wishes for a child for a long time, and the age gap between them and Hua was only going to grow if they didn't act fast. And Maggie was getting old and needed to meet another grandchild! Iris even got some new lingerie for the occasion. Stockings were remembered, praise Pam.

Taurus looked menacing with an axe.

And I got the only screenshot of Maggie's one other grandchild: Kim. She was supposed to be around Hua's age but unmodded townie aging is just...like that. I want to mention her because I had a theory that only children would not be culled from households. But the past tense is key here because she died as a young adult, and I'm very scared.

Alright alright, I told myself that I wouldn't start on Hua's supermax so early. But then I thought the headstart would get her some good headway on the Angler career, especially because fishing lacks a lot of the easy high-value sellable items like, say, sculpting or painting. My original plan was to put her in law enforcement for the ops, but I figured that finishing a self-employment career early would at least get that requirement out of the way (especially because the skills for law enforcement are off-limits for her)

The self-employment first/rabbithole career later idea worked out well for Hua, but at the cost of skill ops. She actually only had to use one law enforcement op in the end, freeing up the career for anyone else, but I also used all her alloted travel ops and a little more vacation time than I had planned. Well, it at least confirmed my theories about skill ops.

She could be a cute fishing kid though! They really do pull the cutest faces.

And the birth of Liwei is where I have to rip the bandaid off about disaster. I actually had to redo his birth a couple times, so it's the point where I know it's unavoidable.

Here's a disclosure: in my many years of playing The Sims 3, I never got the "green box bug". It's actually rare that I end a file thanks to true bugs. The closest I got was, no joke, one related to plastic surgery in another decadynasty save. I realized that while teens can get plastic surgery, it's never successful. Or at least it wasn't successful for my heir's teenage stepbrother, even with the expensive option. He'd come out with the wacky plastic surgery failure face with each try, and I figured I'd just
restore it at the hospital and try again later.

Do not do corrective face surgery! Or at least not on teens? It restores the face...to have all sliders set to zero. And I only wanted to make the stepbrother look more like his bio-dad. :'(

Anyways.

The bugs were catching up to me in Sunlit Tides ever since my first attempts here. Aging bugs for the whole household in one save. Another was even wilder: sometimes inactive sim toddlers/children would not age up correctly and not appear in the world. They'd still be in the relationship panel if an active sim knew them and still take up a household spot in their household. But the household would be unselectable from Edit Town. The game would crash if I tried to move in anyone from that household as well. It truly was one of those errors that was fixable only with Overwatch/ErrorTrap. I didn't use it as my solution (I'd hesitate to offer it officially to someone else as well) but I did a test. My solution was to ignore the problem and fail with a mudbath instead. Next attempt had my consignment system break. That NEVER happens to me. My sims are awesome consigners who sell everything within 5 days.

Heiva had an aging bug but as the only sim affected and no solution on the horizon, I waited for a birthday to fix it and it did. Talked about this already. But Heiva's household was much wackier than any bug could be. Hua was in a normal nuclear family with some extended relatives. No one cheated. Even Maggie was just a serial monogamist.

We made up for that with the Green Box Bug.

If you're a lucky duck like I once was and never experienced it, here's the rundown from Crinrict. Or from me: it's when sims in a household become unselectable and unable to be interacted with, and their portrait on the side is empty/a green box.

So here's how severe this was: three sims were affected. Heiva and Iris were down for the count, as was one pollinator and even worse, Maka the dog. Taurus, Hua, baby Liwei, and Taurus' new spouse (shh!) were okay at first, but during my many stabs at saving my dynasty, they too would get "infected". So moving out the offending sims (one solution I read) was actually off the table, and I wouldn't recommend it either.

I make a backup every...time I remember to. Every 1-4 sim days, usually. I'd lose progress of course, but I'm used to that because I'm a CAS addict who doesn't know her game's limits. That was the actual good solution I read, so I sucked it up and fired up my last backup.

Same bug, same sims.

Jesus!

Every file I opened would succumb to the bug. Four backups deep, gone. I even tried my save from right before Heiva got married and the same horrible deal happened, but with different sims. These saves were permanently messed up too. I put my backup into a factory reset folder (well mostly, I had to install Sunlit Tides there of course) and it was broken there as well.

Look guys, I cleared the cache. I cleared the CurrentGame folder. I tried moving the household to the clipboard and back. I tried moving them to a different house (kind of against the spirit of the decadynasty but ya know). I tried selecting another household...and they were fine, but my actual dynasty sims still weren't.

Drastic solutions were on the table now. It was going to be a town move in the middle of a generation, or using ErrorTrap and Overwatch. I mean I had to test both of them, at least.

Here's the funny story: ErrorTrap actually made the issue worse. My sims were so bugged that its solution was to delete them, or at least delete them from the household? Including Hua! That's a line I can't cross yet I'm sorry! (I know NRaas experts sometimes lurk here and I'm willing to be educated on this but in that heated moment, it sucked)

But the EA function for moving towns? Preserved everything. In a test file, they arrived in Moonlight Falls with everyone selectable again. If my breeding project in Sunlit Tides wasn't so extensive (and just getting started!) then I'd even consider it my fix. But I wasn't ready to let go so easily. There had to be another way.

It took a while for me to figure out that every save I opened was going to be gone forever. And it took even longer to accept losing nine or ten days of gameplay, because that was my best bet for an extant save.

I reinstalled my game entirely, saved my CC and store content from the previous folder, and set up my new factory reset folder. And finally, I had a save I could open.

To this day, I don't know what caused my issue. It wasn't travel, as Heiva hadn't traveled since well before he got married. I thought it was my pollinator, as he was an original service NPC who had been living for far too long, but I moved him in post-recovery with no bugs. Same goes for Taurus' spouse. Perhaps it was the Liwei who was born that time? Contrary to popular belief (I'm sayin' it!) there is no sim before birth. My recovered save was towards the end of Iris' pregnancy and I didn't get the exact same sim each time.

Are we good????

I lost a lot in the recovery, redid a lot of it, but here's stuff that couldn't be replicated.

Originally, Maggie died at age 90 after work. She was about 2,000 points shy of getting a medium tombstone that time. Also hello Kiwi! He would fade into the aether not too long after this. My good backup found her at 89 days old again and ready for a second chance.

And you at least get to undo your regrets. I sacrificed one of Iris' NPC friends at first for our original service NPC friend and designated pollinator, Papaya Cruz. And maybe I didn't quite know what I wanted to do with her new face. She looked too sour when I wasn't trying to aim for that.

As it turned out, I was having difficulty meeting another babysitter, so the chance to leave Marlana as one was graciously accepted. We'll see Papaya later, and I'll even include his absurd age upon moving in!

The first teenage Hua was a stellar big sister to Liwei. I don't have as many screenshots of the two of them the next time around. She feels wholesome for now, but she also wanted to get a head start with romance with two different boys: Gregg Kahale and Arnold Alto. I didn't like either of them that much but I tried to invite them out for a date, but never made it to the kissing stage. I figured she would go for that monogamist lifestyle but then again, she is Heiva's daughter. I remember all his dates with non-Iris friends!

And we dodged a meteor. No sims were harmed though.

We will be back to our normal decadynasty proceedings next chapter! That's a promise!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Untitled Sunlit Tides Decadynasty (Gen 2 Pt. 3)
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
I binge-read your Decadynasty story earlier today.
Though I'm unfamiliar with the town and its original townies and barely remember TS3 gameplay mechanics, I thoroughly enjoyed listening in on your thought processes as you played through your generations.
Poor Rahiti and the tragic loss of Greg, though. Watching you going through your sidestepping, workarounds, populating machinations--what a ride!

anything