Author Topic: The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
Re: The Staraby 4x4 Dynasty
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #2

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Feeling a bit strange, Leif sat down to write a letter to someone he’d never met.

To: Sunny Bakshi
Papyrus Memorial Library
Sunset Valley

Dear Sunny,

My name is Leif Staraby, and apparently you know my mother Astrid. She told me to write to you about a problem I’ve been having. I don’t know if you can help with getting opportunities to fire, but…well, it seems like nobody in Dragon Valley needs any of my paintings. I don’t think it’s because I’m a bad artist. In fact, I’m quite sure I’m rather good. Do you have any advice? Also, my mother says hello.

Sincerely,
Leif

A couple days later, Leif checked the mail and found a letter waiting for him. A faded yellowish envelope, a lighthouse stamp…it looked like it had been floating around in the mail for years. But when he opened it, he found a letter from the famous Sunny herself.

To: Leif Staraby
64 Oak Grove
Dragon Valley

Dear Leif,

It’s nice to meet you! Astrid has told me a lot about you. She even sent me samples of some of your early drawings as a child, and I would have to agree, based on those, that you are probably not a bad artist. (That was sarcasm, by the way. I'm confident that you are a true mastermind of the visual arts. I should commission something of yours to hang in the library here.)

As for the opportunities, I am not able to interfere and get opportunities to fire for you, but I can make a suggestion. There are more ways to get opportunities than just by practicing a skill. You work as a self-employed painter, but some of the other careers - the ones in town, like business, law enforcement, or journalism - often come with an over-abundance of opportunities! Maybe after you reach the top of your current career, you could dip a toe into one of those and see what happens.

Hope this helps! Tell Astrid I said hello.

Cheers,
Sunny

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 12:28:46 AM »
Ah, how did it take me so long to discover this? Oh well, at least I got to binge read it! I love the storyline you are going with and Sunny is my favorite so far. I know she's just a side character, but she seems so lovely.

Also, holy crap I have never seen a sim able to pull off Cara's hairstyle before! See, this is why I justify having some of the stranger hairstyles in my game too. You just got to wait for the right sim so you can justify it being on your hard drive. It makes it all worth it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2023, 07:46:47 AM »
Loving the story, and your use of Dragon Valley and their baby dragons, though also really adore your use of Sunny in Sunset Valley.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but shortly after Dragon Valley came out, Ricalynn wrote a guide to Dragon Valley, including the baby dragons. https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/worlds/dragonvalley.php is the link to the guide. I have most luck with getting green dragons ... super useful along with the swift grow premium content to grow plants from seeds to maturity in no time. Just be careful if you get a sim to do that ... I usually give original dragon and gardening duties to a non targetted immortal sim so that an unfortunate/unexpected gardening skill challenge or the skill doesn't occur and wreck your plans.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 11:23:50 AM »
Ah, how did it take me so long to discover this? Oh well, at least I got to binge read it! I love the storyline you are going with and Sunny is my favorite so far. I know she's just a side character, but she seems so lovely.

Also, holy crap I have never seen a sim able to pull off Cara's hairstyle before! See, this is why I justify having some of the stranger hairstyles in my game too. You just got to wait for the right sim so you can justify it being on your hard drive. It makes it all worth it.

I can never seem to keep up with things happening on the forum, so I feel you. I'm happy to have you here, though! And I'm glad you like Sunny. It took me a while to figure out what sort of character I wanted to work into the story in that role. Sunny seems to be well-liked so far, which I'm thrilled about!

And I appreciate the solidarity regarding some of the hairstyles in this game. ;D I've still got several more in CAS that I've never been able to use...but I can't get rid of them because what if I just haven't met the perfect Sim yet???

Loving the story, and your use of Dragon Valley and their baby dragons, though also really adore your use of Sunny in Sunset Valley.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but shortly after Dragon Valley came out, Ricalynn wrote a guide to Dragon Valley, including the baby dragons. https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/worlds/dragonvalley.php is the link to the guide. I have most luck with getting green dragons ... super useful along with the swift grow premium content to grow plants from seeds to maturity in no time. Just be careful if you get a sim to do that ... I usually give original dragon and gardening duties to a non targetted immortal sim so that an unfortunate/unexpected gardening skill challenge or the skill doesn't occur and wreck your plans.

Thanks, Deklitch! I had looked at Ricalynn's guide a little bit, but I mostly went in blind hoping to discover the magic myself. It ended up being harder than I expected to figure things out, as you can tell. And yes, I'm keeping Pippin mostly in the possession of Cara and Nuala, the non-heir gardeners. Leif thankfully hasn't ever really shown an interest in gardening (but I'll keep an eye out just in case).

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 01:36:14 PM »
Chapter 8 - Knees On The Ground

Leif and Cara’s shared adult birthday arrived. Astrid, beneath her shock over her baby boy being middle-aged already, was desperate to throw a party. The first party ever thrown at the Staraby house, as a matter of fact.

She compiled a list of invitees and sent out the summons, and by late afternoon, all of Leif and Cara’s friends were pouring in through the gates in various states of dress. A singed Roland Sackholme, one of Bradan’s children, led the way (Astrid had a theory that he burned himself making that plate of ratatouille, but she was afraid to ask), followed by Leticia O’Reilly and all of Cara’s siblings.

Cara hadn’t seen any of her siblings in a while. She eagerly danced with every single one of them.

It was a boisterous and colorful party. The turquoise man of the hour blew out his candles on a new era in his life.

…And he lost a lot of hair. Astrid, behind him, instantly locked herself into denial mode, as she was known to do.

Cara aged up a short while later, after most of the cake was gone. This might have bothered some more self-centered Sims, but not Cara.

With his hair restored (and added to, in the form of a mustache and goatee), Leif dove back into his requirements. He completed his painting skill challenges and maxed his career just a day or two after his birthday.

That was another household member’s birthday - our second ever human elder. :(

Leif had decided, after reading Sunny’s letter and talking to his family, to enter the journalism career in order to try and spawn more opportunities. As soon as he sold enough paintings at the consignment store to nudge him into level 10, he called City Hall to quit, then applied at the journalism office as a Paper Boy. Bright and early the next morning, he was off to work. (He’d hoped to catch a ride with Star News Anchor Quinn, but of course Star News Anchor Quinn had to carpool in a super fast car. Poor Leif had to trundle behind in a Sloppy Jalopy.)

Quinn was kind enough to show his friend around the place, though. And after his workday ended at noon, he felt a rush of accomplishment and satisfaction. He’d worked hard all his life to reach the top of the journalism world, and now that he’d made it, he was ready for something new. So he called back into the office he’d just left…

…and informed them that he was retiring.

Little Petunia celebrated her birthday that evening and finally became old enough to hunt.

Once Leif was established in the journalism career and started to learn the writing skill, the opportunities started pouring in. His very first day, his boss gave him a book to read during his off hours. The next morning, his friend Alfonzo Mithrilen called, requesting a biography written by the very skilled Leif Staraby. (Leif was too desperate for opportunities to tell his client that he was only at level 1 of writing.) And a couple days after that, he was asked to help out with some copy editing at work. With his opportunities suddenly complete, Leif asked his mother for a few of her friendship elixirs. He’d spend the next day or so collecting two best friends from outside the family’s acquaintances.

But first, he took his girlfriend on a date, their first in quite a while.

“Wow, Leif, you’ve taken me to Cladach Beach at sundown just before you’re finished with your requirements? Whatever can this mean?!”

Leif smiled, appreciating how much she understood the dynasty inside and out - and wondering if there was any way he could have made this a surprise.

He had an over-emotional speech prepared for the moment his knee hit the ground, but Cara was so excited that the word “Yes!” was exploding out of her before Leif even got the ring box open. :)

The wedding was scheduled for the following evening. Two parties in one week? Things were suddenly feeling a little less frantic in this dynasty. In the early days, there was never time for parties.

“Congratulations, son. Sorry you don’t get to wear cool armor on your wedding day like me.”
“It’s all right, Father. I’m not as much of a jock as you are.”

There was no sunlight remaining by the time Leif and Cara made it to the new wedding arch that had been set up outside. Sometimes Dragon Valley, in all its medieval mysteriousness, had some rather short days. But they didn’t need any sunlight. They had the light of each other’s love to see by. And also two tiki torches stuck in the ground nearby.

Almost no one bothered to sit in the chairs that Astrid and Nuala had meticulously set up for the event, but even Astrid found herself not caring very much. Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Staraby!

More tiki torches led the way to the cake. And Leif and Cara went to bed as happy husband and wife.

The family was in high spirits after the wedding, and the bride and groom enjoyed a nice long lay-in.

No one was prepared to hear the sound of the Grim Reaper arriving on the lot. No one had even realized that Petal was old enough to die.

Nuala looked across at Dinny. “All I can say is, I’m glad Astrid is at the library today,” she said.
“Agreed,” Dinny said.

Sweet Petal was the very first hunting dog of the Staraby 4x4 Dynasty, and therefore she would always be the best. Rest in peace, little friend, and we’re all sorry we didn’t see this coming. :(

Astrid missed the actual death, but her Dog Person spidey-sense still told her something was wrong. She raced home from the library and saw Dinny standing beside a new gravestone that had just appeared in the grass.

She sobbed into her husband’s shoulder. “I’m never adopting a dog ever again,” she cried, while simultaneously rolling the wish to do exactly that.

Leif and Cara were of course heartbroken over the loss of the family dog - but not so heartbroken as to lose enthusiasm for what came next.

“Well, Leif, you’ve been out in town all day,” Cara said. “Because you’re back, may I correctly assume that your requirements are now complete?”
“You know too much,” Leif said.
“I know what we should do now that you’re finished.”
“Talk about this in another room where my father isn’t sitting right behind you? Yes, good idea.”

Off they went to the bedroom. Generation Two was nigh!

Heir #1 - Leif Staraby
Traits: Artistic, Heavy Sleeper, Ambitious, Perfectionist, Over-Emotional
Favorites: Geek Rock, Vegetarian Chili, Lilac
1 Unique Maxed Career: Self-Employed Painter
2 Unique Best Friends: Derek Jameson, Rian Lim
3 Unique Skill Challenges: Brush Master, Proficient Painter, Master Painter
4 Unique Opportunities: A Large Painting, Why Did The Journalist Cross The Road?, A History of One, Check This

Author’s Notes:
- I forgot to mention, back when Cara moved in, that she is no longer connected to any of her adopted siblings in her family tree. I don’t know if that was always the case, or if it happened when her mother died (which happened shortly after Cara joined the household). I hadn’t looked at her family tree until the death of Sophie. Cara was all alone in the family tree void until she married Leif. :( She was still good friends with all of her siblings, though, and those relationships soon developed into old friends. She never failed to dance with them when they visited for parties.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2023, 01:49:04 PM »
Chapter 9 - Older & Wiser

It had been an eventful few days in the Staraby house, and everyone was feeling it. Nuala reacted to the happy marriage and the sad dog death by doing what she always did: immersing herself in gardening. That’s where Quinn found her, a couple nights after his elder birthday.

He pulled Nuala to her feet and went in for a kiss. He picked a great moment - the exact moment with the automatic sprinklers went on with a flash. [Author’s Note: That blinding flash of sprinklers scared the bejeezus out of me as I was taking the screenshot. I was NOT READY.]

“What was that for, Quinn?” Nuala asked, trying to recover from the explosion of water plus endorphins.
“I’ve been thinking,” Quinn said. “I haven’t got much time left, N. You’re going to be here a while, but I can’t stay past the end of my lifespan.”
“Oh, Quinn, don’t say that--”
“I think it’s time I asked you to be my girlfriend.”
“Oh! Yes, Quinn, of course!”

“...And also my wife.”

Nuala stifled a scream. Was this really the neon-yellow-green jokester of Dragon Valley, kneeling before her in the soggy soil, asking her to marry him?

“I didn’t think this would ever happen to me,” she gasped. Quinn was grinning and sliding a beautiful ring onto her finger. “Yes, Quinn, yes!”

They got married right there, in the warm glow of the flame fruit bushes.

The sprinklers came on again as they finished exchanging their vows - and simultaneously satisfied their wishes to marry each other, which they’d rolled within seconds of becoming engaged. Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Flanagan!

Late that night, or rather early the next morning, Cara woke up with an ache in her stomach. Tears rose to her eyes as she thought of sweet Petal, sleeping under a stone in the front yard…

…wait, there was something else going on. This wasn’t just a grief ache. This was a straight-up I-don’t-feel-good ache.

After a quick trip to the bathroom, Cara recovered, and by the middle of the next day, she understood. She was pregnant!

She told Astrid first. She mostly just wanted to see the look on her mother-in-law’s face. She knew it would be a sight to behold, and it was.

New life was coming - and old lives were marching on. Late that night, Astrid’s elder birthday hit her out of nowhere, and also in the middle of nowhere. At the edge of the lot. Amid a flurry of pillow fights.

“Goodness, my vision is all fuzzy. I don’t know if I’ll be able to see what happens next.”

“No, alas, I cannot. Therefore this did not happen.”

Dinny had his birthday moments later, in an even less ceremonious location. Astrid sat on the toilet behind him and refused to cheer for something she had dreaded for so long.

In time, she would adjust. Hopefully. In the meantime, there was a new baby to be excited about!

And new love in other forms.

Cara had a restful pregnancy, except when her father-in-law insisted on preparing her for parental duties by smacking her repeatedly with a pillow.

On the day the baby was supposed to arrive, Nuala felt a little unwell herself. She didn’t even make it to the bathroom before throwing up her breakfast on the front lawn.

Being a little older and a little wiser than Cara, she knew immediately what it meant. :)

Cara went into labor that afternoon in the midst of perfecting her grilled cheese recipe for work.

In the last light of evening, she emerged from the hospital with Leif in her wake, holding April Staraby in her arms.

The new parents arrived home from the hospital to find, yet again, a flurry of pillow fights happening just inside the gate.

“We didn’t know what to do with ourselves while you were gone!” Quinn explained as he brought a pillow down hard on Astrid’s noggin. “So we improvised!”

The family decided to celebrate April’s first birthday that very night. Time stops for no one, especially not in a 4x4.

April revealed herself to be a very cute mix of her parents - her father’s hair and skin colors, and her mother’s eyes. She was a Friendly Genius who liked Geek Rock music (also like her father), mac and cheese (like her grandmother), and the color spiceberry.

Author’s Notes:
- I still find it so hilarious that Astrid aged up to elder wearing a cat hat. She is a Dog Person. :D
- It was still April in real life when April was born. I know that April is a perfectly lovely year-round name, but…I just felt obligated to tell you that.
- I found no way to fit this into the story, but here's a bonus screenshot of Astrid being adorable and collecting honey at the elixir shop prior to her elder birthday.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 02:19:11 PM »
Nuala is gorgeous and I am so glad you are using her in your dynasty! I have used her before her in one of my short dynasty attempts and she has the best genetics. Combining her genetics with Quinns though...  :o I'm excited to see the result!!

How are you enjoying the 4x4 dynasty compared to the others so far? Is it faster paced than the other dynasties because of the medium lifespan? I'm super curious.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CeresIn

• Occult
  • Sims 3 addict.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2023, 01:59:17 PM »
I like this a lot, especially the connection to Sunset Valley and Sunny. The story is entertaining and you also started in Dragon Valley with a lot of NPCs, this town's homeless townies and NPC's are gems.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2023, 04:51:47 PM »
Nuala is gorgeous and I am so glad you are using her in your dynasty! I have used her before her in one of my short dynasty attempts and she has the best genetics. Combining her genetics with Quinns though...  :o I'm excited to see the result!!

How are you enjoying the 4x4 dynasty compared to the others so far? Is it faster paced than the other dynasties because of the medium lifespan? I'm super curious.

I love Nuala's genetics SO much. I wish there was room in the household for her to have a hundred babies. I'm excited to show you the result of her + Quinn!

The 4x4 dynasty is WEIRD, man. In some ways it moves a lot faster than other dynasties (you can really fly through the younger life stages, for instance), and in other ways it moves slower. You have more intense requirements to fill, and less time to do them in, but there is also more freedom around things like extending life and moving spares in and out, so it's a rather chaotic mix of the other dynasties (which I think was kind of the point, if I remember the official rule post correctly). The early stage of each town has a very rags-to-riches feel, which I loved. Full-blown strategizing required for that part! Then there are other parts that feel slow and can get a little boring. But it's definitely a lot of fun, when I actually have the time to sit down and play it!

I like this a lot, especially the connection to Sunset Valley and Sunny. The story is entertaining and you also started in Dragon Valley with a lot of NPCs, this town's homeless townies and NPC's are gems.

Thank you! :) Dragon Valley really has the motherlode when it comes to NPCs. As you can see, I had a lot of trouble picking which ones to use because there were so many great options.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »
Chapter 10 - Neon Peas

Nuala and Quinn spent a blissful pregnancy together. Cara, though she was a young mom herself, volunteered to keep up the garden so that Nuala could put her feet up for a few days. Quinn spent nearly every waking moment with his wife. His child would enter the world soon - and almost just as soon, he could be leaving it. His age bar was nearly full.

So he made sure to infiltrate Nuala’s womb with much essence of humor, while he still could.

April, meanwhile, kept everyone busy and entertained with her turquoise smiles and girlish giggles.

Grandmother Astrid taught baby April the art of expressiveness through elaborate speech.

“The world is full of terrors, little one! Scary monsters and property taxes and dangerous love and the unending, breakneck pace of time! RRAAGGHHH!”

April was bright and eager to learn, even when that meant toppling over sometimes.

She loved to hide in the toy box and spy on the goings-on around her.

She learned her skills efficiently and quickly, with a couple of days to spare.

And so it was birthday time!

April grew up with the Brave trait. Her grandmother’s stories about property taxes evidently didn’t faze her very much.

Later that night, Nuala went into labor.

“Would you look at that, Dinny?" said Quinn. My wife is on the cusp of pouring out our child onto this fine rug.”
“Your calm impresses me, Quinn," said Dinny. "And yours, Nuala. I seem to remember Astrid screaming ferociously throughout the birthing process.”
“Don’t worry,” said Nuala. “I’m about to.”

Several ferocious screams later, Harley Flanagan entered the world.

Obviously a birthday cake was required posthaste.

To everyone’s delight, Harley took after both his parents. With his mother’s hair color and his father’s…well, pretty much everything else, he was certified adorable. His traits were Excitable and Insane, and he liked hip hop, falafel, and blue.

Even poetic Astrid had trouble putting into words how cute those pointed ears were.

Harley and Quinn became two neon peas in a neon pod, for the (probably) short time they would have together.

Of course, Harley didn’t understand that his father was like a century old and would probably disappear any second. He was just annoyed about having to learn words.

Amid the toddler madness, Leif aged up for the last time. Dinny hovered over him exclaiming, “Yay, the Old Man Club grows ever larger!”

Cara followed shortly after. Not much fazed this woman, but old age did make her a bit uneasy.

April was quickly taken with baby Harley. She loved to entertain him for hours on end.

And Harley loved her right back. They were best friends within a couple hours of playing together.

Harley often had this knowing look in his eyes. Like he knew they’d be close forever. April just thought he was really cute...but Harley knew better.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2023, 11:11:35 PM »
Harley is absolutely ADORABLE. I love, love Nuala's hair color with Quinn's pink skin tone. I can't wait to see what he looks like when he grows up.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »
A Staraby Family History

Dear Astrid,

I hope this letter reaches you in time - I know a lot of time has passed for you, even if it hasn’t for me. I imagine you must be…well, rather close to the end of your days by now. This may be my last letter to you, but I hope its contents will make up for that fact.

The good news is - I’ve found something! A few things, actually. It took a lot of combing through Sunset Valley’s archives, but I finally came across some information about the Starabys. I started with that first article I found, which mentioned your address on Summer Hill Court and the name of your husband as Leighton Sekemoto. Using those two facts as starting points, I was able to find a record of Leighton’s career as a professional athlete from before he married you, as well as - yes, you may get excited now - record of your marriage and the birth of your son. Plus photographs!

This photograph accompanied the announcement of your marriage to Leighton in the newspaper. You can see the house you shared in the background, and a few of your wedding guests. It’s difficult to tell for sure who the guests are, but I think I can identify Gus and Bebe Hart, Connor Frio, and Agnes Crumplebottom. Agnes is worth noting because, according to Sunset Valley’s street directories from the time period, she actually lived with you and Leighton for a while.

This next photograph was a very lucky find. I have no idea how it came to the archives, but it is definitely a picture of Leighton in the same house in the first picture. He is wearing a military uniform, indicating that he switched careers at some point. And as you can see…he is holding a baby boy. That is your firstborn son, Orion, whose name I discovered in the town’s vital records. I haven’t discovered Orion’s traits or whether he had any siblings yet, but I hope to find more soon.

This is everything I’ve been able to find so far. I hope this brings you a little bit of joy, and maybe unlocks some memories, too. And if we aren’t able to correspond again…I hope you know that working on this research has been the most fun I’ve had in ages, and I am determined to keep going until your new dynasty is complete.

Sincerely,
Sunny

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2023, 03:30:14 PM »
Letter to Sunny Bakshi #3

Dear Sunny,

Yes, I am an old woman now. Yes, the end is nigh. Yes, I am utterly overwhelmed with tremors of fear as I stare ahead into the unknown, the grey haze of nothingness, the mysterious fog of death. And to think I have to face the Grim Reaper when the moment arrives! I hope he doesn’t yell at me. I don’t know why he would…but still.

But Sunny, I cannot express to you how grateful I am for your letter. Actually, let me try to express it succinctly. The time you have spent poring over dusty books and faded newspapers when you could have been frolicking in the sunshine instead…the way you put the pieces together like some magical bookish detective…the details you uncovered about my little family back in Sunset Valley…you are simply the most wonderful, magnanimous, generous, considerate, hardworking, painstaking, kind, investigative, exacting, thoughtful, brilliant…[four pages of adoring adjectives omitted]...friend and librarian and archivist that I could ever ask for. Oh, thank you!

And those pictures! I never expected to see photographic evidence of my past life, but…well, there it is. I gazed at the picture of Leighton and me on our wedding day for a long time. Ditto for the picture of Leighton and my son, Orion. (I would choose the name Orion, wouldn’t I? Somehow that feels very on-brand for a Staraby.) I gazed and gazed and gazed, and although I felt a deep sense of love and gratification in looking at their beautiful faces, I also sort of found myself…wondering what my current husband and son were doing. Maybe it’s because I have no memories of my past life anymore. But it actually made me feel more connected to the family I have now. Because they are the ones who are here, in the next room. They are the ones I know and remember and love right now. Seeing the story of my past life unfold is absolutely thrilling, but…I’ve also fallen in love with my current life. My real life, in a way.

I probably won’t live to see any more of your letters, Sunny, but I am beginning to accept that (in spite of my moment of panic at the beginning of this letter). Leif is already an accomplished dynasty heir, and little April is soon to grow up and take the helm. They will watch for further Staraby histories that might arrive in the mail. I entrust them with our family’s story - both remembering the old one, and creating the new one.

Thank you so much for everything, Sunny. You have been the most wonderful friend. I promise I will never, ever forget you.

Yours most gratefully and lovingly and tremulously,
Astrid Staraby

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2023, 03:39:55 PM »
Chapter 11 - Knights & Ladies

When April’s birthday arrived, she good-naturedly rolled her eyes at all the fuss. Couldn’t she just age up and get it all over with? She had things to do!

Appropriately, then, she took Ambitious as her next trait, after Genius, Friendly, and Brave.

It was Harley’s birthday, too. Blue-haired lady took blue-haired baby to the very first cake he could eat.

Although he’d learned to walk well enough, Harley aged up Clumsy. He quickly learned to blame his ears for his occasional imbalances.

April was eager to get her grades up right away, so Nuala took her to the pub for a study session. April soon realized that this would be less exciting than she’d thought.

“These logic problems are so BORING! Can’t they at least spice them up a little? Have them take place in a haunted house or something?”

Quinn was still alive and well, despite inching upwards into his late 50s. He happily spent most of his time with his son - and his wife, when she wasn't gardening.

Harley, however, was much more interested in playing with April.

“Why dost you just sit there, Lady April?! The ghosts of kings past are on their way to taunt thou! I can protect thou, princess!”
“Am I a princess, or a lady? Besides, I’m not afraid of ghosts. And I have to practice chess for the tournament coming up.”

“You…thee…thee ist not afraid of ghosts?”
“Nope. I think they’re fascinating, actually.”

Harley struck his most heroic pose. “I must find something to protect you from, Lady April.”

April’s chess practice raised her skill to the point where she could start inviting over competitors. Of course, her first competitor had to be Quinn.

“I can see your strategies written all over your face, April. That’s a weakness.”
“Huh? I’m just looking at the pieces!”
“Chess is about strategy, but it’s also about reading people. Figuring out what makes them tick. And I can tell that you are developing an emotional attachment to that knight.”
“Hey!”

The house was rather full of old folks eager to pass on their wisdom, and none more so than Astrid.

“Do you think I’m doing all right as the heir, Gran Astrid? I couldn’t even beat Quinn at chess last night, and I can barely sit through one study session with Nuala. And I haven’t even thought about finding a spouse yet.”

“Oh, April, don’t worry about a thing! You’ve got oodles of time. I’d bet my bottom simoleon that Quinn cheats at chess. And Nuala…well, I love her with my whole heart and soul, but she’s more of a gardener than a teacher, I think.”
“Oh. Well, that does help a little, I guess.”

Astrid watched as her granddaughter turned away to gaze into the distant living room. “I have no doubt that you will accomplish everything you need to, and then some,” she said.

At that moment, Harley plopped down in the chair next to April, ready to chow down on the sugar cookie he’d just made.

“And sometimes,” Astrid said with a giggle, “Fate intervenes where our own hands cannot! Particularly in the spousal department.”

April laughed aloud. “What?! You think I’m going to marry Harley?! You’re out of your mind, Gran Astrid.”

Harley paused mid-chomp, his little heart sinking. We’ll see about that, Lady April, he thought.

Reinvigorated, April stayed busy with the beginnings of her requirements.

On the weekend, the family took a group outing to the Dragon Tavern, which they’d just purchased. They spend the afternoon playing darts…

…testing out the woodbrick oven…

...boasting about one's grandchild directly to one's grandchild...

…and relaxing in the plant-filled library.

And making out, in the case of Nuala and Quinn. Poor Harley didn’t quite know what to think.

When they all arrived home after dark, Nuala and Quinn paused in the yard for one last embrace.

“These days have been so magical,” Nuala whispered. “I don’t want them to end.”
“Don’t worry,” Quinn assured her. “I’m going to live for an obnoxiously long time.”

anything