Author Topic: Life States Dynasty Hints & Tips  (Read 62115 times)

Offline mysteriousways143

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Life States Dynasty Hints & Tips
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
I need advice. I have a fairy founder so she has that hidden green thumb trait. She is also a natural cook and artistic. I am definitely doing cooking challenges and the culinary career since she has the lifetime wish of Celebrated Fie Star Chef. The question is should I got gardening or painting for my other skill challenges and to get skill objects. I is sort of cliche a fairy doing gardening but gardening does pair well with cooking. Plus painting is used for numerous careers. What do you think i should do?

Offline FireRaye93

• Townie
  • I am burdened with glorious plumbobs.
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I personally would go with gardening. Your fairy will max it pretty easily and you can use the gardening skill challenges to complete the skill challenge requirements. If you have the Swift Grow Gardening Station from the store, then I'd say you can max the gardening skill in a few sim weeks.
Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Also, your fairy will eventually learn to use bloom, which will speed up the gardening mastery. Just have them create an aura before they go to bed in the fairy house, they won't lose magic and in a few days, they'll get it the bloom ability.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
Ok! So I've been following the LifeStates Dynasty for ages and I really just need to pick some brains here on this one.
I always fail with my first teen. I can never seem to get them to max that silly career! I always have them working hard! That was the only tone I used. I would have them play games on their virtual reality helmet thing outside the graveyard until max fun was achieved, (after eating their favorite food - mom was a genie so perfect favorite food equates to happy sims) with lots of happy moodlets and he was almost finished with the career when it came time for him to age up. It just wasn't fair! What am I doing wrong?
I did try using those alchemy potions (job booster) and boy was that a bad idea now that I'm reading about it!
Maybe I should stock up on the Basil herb because it supposedly helps your sim get promotions!
Was it ever determined if you got there the minute the carpool notice was announced that you would get a notification about coming in early? I've never had that happen, but I've also never actually tried.

Anyways, some tips I have based on my many failings would be this: try to save the longer, harder skills for sims with longer livespans (even if the trait doesn't fire). Logic is really awesome with a vampire because they can burn through all those insane hours on the chessboard (to help with the ranked chess matches) and max the skill faster. I always felt like logic took forever to learn, so I try to save that for a Sim that's got ample time to just complete the challenges at will (like tutoring).

Oh and if you are doing a chess match, I always throw a chess board outside the house so I don't have to invite the ranked chess person in (keep one inside though, just in case said ranked chess member is a vampire). Though that's a general tip.

For those of you who ask about who is better to start with I agree with several people when they say it's based on traits. If you're new to challenges or to trying challenges then try to give yourself a leg up with a longer lifespan. If you're returning to this challenge and want something different or more challenging, try a human.

Try a town you're familiar with. If your favorite Sim is a human and that's discouraging to you, then add them to the house anyways! You can always have them be bitten or grab some kelp (if you're in Isla Paradiso) to change their lifestate to fit what you want!

Question - is it true that you can actually become a fairy from the arboretum? I read that earlier but I've never - ever had it happen to my Sim. I was aware that baby's breath could make any baby conceived a supernatural, but I've never heard of someone becoming a fairy. I've had my Sim meet fairies there, but never become one. Does someone have a statistic on how that might be possible if it is true? I don't want to add a human sim to the house and assume I can somehow turn them into a fairy if the chances are very slim.

Anyways, it's awesome seeing all of these tips up here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
I've never gotten the notification about coming in early in my life states dynasty, and I had my teens wait by the mausoleum as soon as they got out from school and go to work right when I got the carpool notification. But they always maxed the career in five work days, at most. Those liquid job boosters are definitely a bad idea. I never used basil.

You can become a fairy through the Arboretum. It's actually introduced as an opportunity your sim can take while they're exploring the Arboretum. They have to bring some collectables to the Arboretum and trade them in for being a fairy (it's been forever since I got that op, so my memory of the details is hazy).
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
The notification about arriving early at work is tied to premium content. I can't recall the name of it off-hand, but it's a platform that will wash you, feed you, change your dirty nappy, and then teleport you to your destination - provided it isn't a combined rabbithole (if it is, the game appears to get confused and teleports you to your own house).

Also, the notification reads something like, "Your co-workers have noticed you arrived early!" and makes for excellent promotion material.

Offline Jamie

• Occult
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with the Not-So-Routine Machine. I've had the message pop up before I even bought it. It didn't pop up every time I went early though.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »
Hmmm, strange. I never even knew the message existed until after that (thank you for reminding me of the name!), and I only get it when I use it. Sims I send off super early never get that message. Ever. Even when I tell them to go to work right when the carpool message pops, and they stroll right inside, with maybe a 5 minute delay.

Well, there goes that theory. But I'll still use it! ;D

Offline Jamie

• Occult
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
Now that you're so sure you're making me question myself.  ???

Maybe I didn't get it until using the machine.  :o This probably needs some testing to find out for sure.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
Ok, nearing the completion of my greatest achievement (my first HOF-er ever) in Life States Dynasties, I've come across several tips I wish I would've known at the start of my file.

On Marriage and Spouses:
>Your Sims don't have to love their spouses. I often will prep arranged marriages in the Sims, including a potent friendship elixir (or relationship boost from the Social Networking App that can adjust relationships) and a quick romance.
>Wait for your Sim to wish to be married to their chosen spouse. They will roll it eventually. I always arrange the spouse to move in as soon as my Sim becomes a young adult, so while my heir works on their skills they can be engaged and wait on the wish to roll. Sometimes absence does it, sometimes spamming romantic socials does it. Either way, be patient. It will happen.
>Remember that any spouse you move in can be changed. Plastic Surgery (as far as my knowledge goes) is completely allowed for them. So if there's simply only one vampire in town (haha, doubt it but roll with it for the situation) you can adjust them as you see fit. I often do this for Genies and Imaginary Friends as they have a tendency to be cursed with EA Pudding Face (all sliders exactly in the middle). The look was pretty... at first, until I saw that every other NPC had it too.
>In the beginning, try to make your first spouse count. Quinn was mine, he mastered several skills and set my Dynasty up for success. Xiri, my founder was only allowed to go at her handiness and inventing, while Quinn was unrestricted. He learned Alchemy and Logic and gardening along with several other key skills. So by the time I had my gardening Sim he had all the perfect fruits and veggies ready to be replant, my alchemy Sim had more than enough ingredients and I never needed to worry about having someone to tutor my heir/ess' through school or make young again potions until I had my logic Sim.
>You don't have to move early spouses out right away. I kept Quinn (as mentioned above) until my 5th generation became ready for children (so I could ensure multiples). By my 5th generation I had finally collected all the Sims who were capable of doing what he was (making young again potions and alchemy potions, running the garden and cooking).

On Requirements:
>Traits do not always mean your Sim should pursue a certain skill. If your Sim gets the Eccentric trait that does not mean they have to pursue Inventing and Handiness. It just gives them a boost towards that skill. Even Sims who Hate Art can still paint and be great painters. Try to coordinate skills less with traits and more with Supernatural Type. Leave longer-learning skills to longer-lived Sims (logic, writing, etc). Leave Fairies the gardening, cooking or fishing as that's naturally in their bones - even if they Hate the Outdoors. Leave the tedious skills you hate to Vampires who skill up faster at night. Have your werewolf pursue athletics and martial arts.
>Try to save your "dependent" skills for later on in your game if you can help it; things like Alchemy, Cooking, Inventing, Nectar Making and so on. I know you don't get to choose traits, but as said above - skills are not irrevocably linked to traits. Leaving these for later will give you time to perfect the ingredients/pieces that are a part of it. Things like collecting all of the metals/bugs/gems for your Alchemist or preparing those Pink Diamonds for your Inventor. Having perfect ingredients for your Cook and Nectar Maker can make all the difference sometimes.
>Always have a backup plan! Keep skills on the backburner just in case. I often will have all the toddlers learn logic and music (peg-box and xylophone) until one of those skills gets taken away then I switch over. Use those skills less as "getting ahead" and more for "just in case." My werewolf Sim would've had to learn fishing, but it was just long and tedious. He picked up some skill books for Social Networking and learned that super quick as he was already struggling with Collecting... which leads me to my next tip:
>Try not to lean on universal skills like Consignment and Collecting. I regret doing so in my file! It seems easy at the time to say "oh look, consignment skill challenge done, checkmark! Let's go make a baby!" (That was my reasoning, at least.) Try not to do that! It's so easy to forget that later on when you have a painter Sim that you can't just send them to the consignment store for fear of invalidating another's skill challenge.

In terms of housing:
>Keep it Simple. I made a house that was designed to be interchanged with every heir without changing the structure of it every time.
>Invest time in to making cells for your future generations. Generation 1 doesn't seem like a problem until you're on generation 4 and they just won't stop causing problems. I create basements and lock them in. I leave a ladder with the way out that's fenced off with a gate that's locked to everyone. I give them the TV from ITF (as it also has a gaming console included), a Food Synthesizer (so they have good food without learning the cooking skill - you could always include multiple fridges but only have your cooking Sim have the tools to cook with, you just run into the issue of Sims trying to prepare food even when they can't), a toilet and a sonic shower (the toilet is just in case they eat some bad food, all Sims have steel bladder), and a nice bed. I also put all of their skill-related objects in with them so they can keep themselves busy if the TV and gaming system simply isn't enough.
>Think about your computer's capabilities when building your house. If you notice lag in your games after a while of playing after a long span of time, try making the house more minimalist and utilitarian. Heck, my house didn't even have a walkway until about the 4th generation when I finally threw a fountain I got from one of the marriages down and slopped some pathway around it.
>Speaking of marriages and gifts, when you have a ton of money and no need to sell every last thing that is sent to you from other Sims, use it to decorate your house! It's free decorating! That painting/fountain/sculpture will help boost the mood of your Sim and thus boost the rate they gain skills!

On Misc. Items:
>On your first or second generation (preferably first) when money starts to become easier, go to a vacation location and buy up a dozen chests. Trust me, you'll want them, and here's why:
I noticed a long time ago my game would lag up on certain Sims. It started mainly with my Inventor (who was my founder). I was so frustrated that when I would be ordering her to do things that the game would lag horribly, but when I went to her husband things were completely fine. It's because of her inventory. Things can get bugged easily when there are a lot of them and cause lag. The scrap in her inventory was bugging her, so I put it in the Inventor's table and the lag went away. Buying a lot of chests (I prefer the look of them over alchemy storage, but those work too if you'd rather not travel) can help you sort your ingredients and other things and keep the inventories clean. I had a chest for fish, a chest for potions, a chest for Alchemy potions, a chest for alchemy ingredients, a chest for nectar making ingredients... you can be as organized as you like, or you can buy one and just store everything in there. Keeping inventories clean and as reduced as possible will help reduce lag.

Anyways, a lot of these have probably been said, but best of luck to all who are trying. This is such a fun challenge!

*Edit to add one more housing item I forgot.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
With the life states human, genie, and imaginary friend, there is no special coloring on the panel as there is with witch, vampire, fairy, etc. to designate life state. Always marry your non-colors to colors, for example your IF to a fairy not a human. That way you can see at a glance what life states your nooboos are. No waiting for them to develop special abilities.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
With the life states human, genie, and imaginary friend, there is no special coloring on the panel as there is with witch, vampire, fairy, etc. to designate life state. Always marry your non-colors to colors, for example your IF to a fairy not a human. That way you can see at a glance what life states your nooboos are. No waiting for them to develop special abilities.
Good point about that, but Genies you can tell as an infant by just looking at their needs panel (if the needs are shades of blue/purple rather than green/yellow). I.F. though are a pain to figure out, I believe you can only tell for sure once they are children right? It can save you a lot of hassle if you marry your I.F. in at a time where there are colored panels to compare them against so you don't have to raise them all assuming them all to be heirs only to find out they're not.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
If you have World Adventures, you can try taking a photo of a suspected IF spawn. The subject will register as "Imaginary Friend."

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
If you have World Adventures, you can try taking a photo of a suspected IF spawn. The subject will register as "Imaginary Friend."
Thank you so much. My IF is going to be the last generation this time (after my genie). I just had my Witch master photography. This is going to help me so much.

Also, ALWAYS check your vampires! Maybe it's just mine, but they don't show needs similar to other Sims. When my human Sim is hungry to the point of the "Starving" 24 hour moodlet, she'll go in the red in her portrait panel. My Vampires never show that. In fact, they won't autonomously try to feed themselves most of the time - it seems they'd rather starve then get some plasma juice out of the fridge/synthesizer!
I have to check on them twice a day to ensure they're not starving or tired. Invest in a lot of plasma fruit, as I think they prefer those. All of my other life states will take care of themselves, just not the Vampires. *Shrugs* who knows why.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
Also, the Motive Mobile will not refill a vampire's thirst motive, even though it fills other vampire motives just fine. Vampires are weird.