Author Topic: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty ("Complete")  (Read 336487 times)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 30, 3/17)
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

So much drama! But Hannah looks gorgeous in her new dress. Out of curiosity, did Franco and Pansy have such a rocky relationship on their own--and if so, why? Trait conflict, maybe?

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
It looks like I haven't commented on this yet, but I've been reading for about a week and it's fantastic. Well done, Trip! Your stories are always brilliant but this one takes the well-described birthday cake.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trident

• Occult
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
That was AWESOME.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Alas, the divorce was all for the best. At the very least, as Annette said, Lily will have a better chance of a happy marriage. Whichever path she chooses, whether she finds another young man or winds up with Julian, anything has to be better than what happened with Franco and Pansy...

I really like Julian. There's something about that cowardly sculptor that is very endearing. :)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
Wow, is that the Red Velvet Lounge? Because I just adore what you've done with the interior - patterns, items, everything, especially the corner where Hannah blew out her candles. Got to have a few nice hangouts in town, after all.  :)

Ah, poor Franco and Pansy. At least they got it over with quickly. Hope little Lily has a nice childhood regardless.

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:34 AM »
So I'm guessing Lily is the face in the banner labelled "Information" in the first post? I hope that made sense. If it did, they look to be a similar shade of pink, which is probably a fairly weak basis for the idea, come to think of it.
I'm not pedantic! I just believe in precision of language.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 31, 3/18)
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
I love Annette.  Their bet is great.

She's something, that's for sure.

So much drama! But Hannah looks gorgeous in her new dress. Out of curiosity, did Franco and Pansy have such a rocky relationship on their own--and if so, why? Trait conflict, maybe?

Yes and no. All of their fighting was autonomous, but it was actually because of a forgetful watcher. Franco and Hannah were romantic interests since high school and I never formally broke them off (Hannah was one of his best friends and I didn't want their relationship to take a hit). They never actually flirted around Pansy, but she got suspicious.

While they had a trait conflict (Excitable vs. Grumpy), it didn't cause any issues. Trait conflicts rarely do for me. My happiest couple in the dynasty was half-Friendly and half-Mean Spirited.

It looks like I haven't commented on this yet, but I've been reading for about a week and it's fantastic. Well done, Trip! Your stories are always brilliant but this one takes the well-described birthday cake.

Woo! I was waiting for you to find me. ;D

I'm glad you like it. It's a good exercise in writing fiction, and also one of the best-feeling experiences I've had writing so far. It's the huge rush of confidence mixed with a lot of time for me to really reflect on what happened in the story. If the material is also enjoyable for others to read, that's nice too!

That was AWESOME.

Thank you!

Alas, the divorce was all for the best. At the very least, as Annette said, Lily will have a better chance of a happy marriage. Whichever path she chooses, whether she finds another young man or winds up with Julian, anything has to be better than what happened with Franco and Pansy...

I really like Julian. There's something about that cowardly sculptor that is very endearing. :)

Heck, Lily could have ended up with Shark (she didn't, because that's gross) and it would have been better. I've had my share of bad couples in my games, but Franco and Pansy were definitely among the worst.

Julian was just endearing, period. I loved him.

Wow, is that the Red Velvet Lounge? Because I just adore what you've done with the interior - patterns, items, everything, especially the corner where Hannah blew out her candles. Got to have a few nice hangouts in town, after all.  :)

Ah, poor Franco and Pansy. At least they got it over with quickly. Hope little Lily has a nice childhood regardless.

You guessed right! Funny thing is that it actually renders faster than it did before. I remember spending a very long time redecorating, so I'm glad it paid off. Now the Waverlys have an excuse to wear their formal clothes. I send them there pretty often.

So I'm guessing Lily is the face in the banner labelled "Information" in the first post? I hope that made sense. If it did, they look to be a similar shade of pink, which is probably a fairly weak basis for the idea, come to think of it.

That's her! It might be a flimsy basis, but it got you to the right place. :)

Chapter 31: Scholarship for the Fine Arts

The storm of the divorce eventually just became stormclouds, and Annette never put much thought into it anyways. Instead, she invested her energy into Lily and for one brief moment, she shed her inappropriate glory. Of course, she then laughed at Franco’s new work outfit, harder than she ever did at birthdays.

Someone at work had some fun. Franco’s usual attire was something in grey, maybe a stylish turtleneck one day and a sharp blazer the next. Something that gave his clients an idea of what they were in for. One of the other stylists decided to hide it all in the tattoo room, where Franco refused to go because it looked like a poorly-finished basement, because it was a poorly-finished basement. No matter, there was a nice shirt on the racks, even if it made him look fatter than usual. But when they hid his spare glasses, he went for the spare monocle. When they hid his hairbrush, he used a different one that made his hair look slicker.

How could he get a shoot with Watched Fashions, his favorite fashion mag, looking like that? He sighed, until Lily contently gurgled after a snuggle. If she didn’t care, then, perhaps it wasn’t so bad.

And paradoxically, he got more work with the new uniform.

It started with the impersonal. Antoine Andrews, a nice old journalist living up the street, wanted a follow-up, with a grumpy Franco annoyed at how he thought the first job wasn’t up to his standards.

Penny Pincher, his mum's old friend, thought his work was to die for.

And Randall Drudge, his school buddy, found the nerve to open up to Franco about his insecurities over going bald. Franco initially brushed it off; Randall always worried and cried and fretted. He washed his hands even more than an oral surgeon like him was expected to, because his world was tormented by germs and a fear of pneumonia. He grew up passed off as his step-father’s biological son and learned that he was lied to only when he had to get his birth certificate for medical school. But no, his biggest hinderance was baldness.

“I mean, I have the key to everyone’s mouths,” he said, “But not anyone’s heart. And I think I need some hair for that.”

“Or none,” said Franco, “You’re a handsome guy. I bet you can pull off something even more radical. How do you like the sound of a yellow blazer?”

“Did you sterilize it?” asked Randall.

“Twice.”

And so Franco basked in the rewards of his styling job again, walking away from an infinitely-more-confident Randall. A lot of Randall’s half-siblings called for makeovers after that. Less dowdy clothes for Marcie, a better haircut for Parker, a midlife-crisis overhaul for Carmen.

He actually ignored the last one for a while. He and Carmen hadn’t spoken since graduation, when they were waiting before the ceremony and she almost snapped his mortarboard in half out of anger. Even after many years separated, she probably had an unfulfillable request, or she would use it as a chance to slap him across the face and proclaim her awesomeness again.

Not fulfilling the request meant a cut to his pay and having to read out-loud the lengthy complaint that Carmen lodged afterwards, but it saved him grief anyways.

Besides, even if Carmen hated his guts, at least her half-sister took one of Franco’s suggestions to heart. Hannah made a small fortune in juice for herself; if she beat her opponents in chess, they had to buy her a drink, and the reverse when she lost. Once she got past a beginner’s losing streak, she came home juiced every night. Tay Bayless was a very nice opponent, though. He bought Hannah a drink even if he knocked her king off the board, on account of her looking just that good in a skimpy cocktail dress.

Because of that, Franco often had to drive her home, but he didn’t do much to preserve his ability to drive. He and Hannah barely spoke on the drives home; she instead looked out the window in contemplation.

One of those nights, they came home to an early celebration. Julian got the journalism job! Franco didn’t even know that he had job goals. And Pansy picked up Lily for an early birthday party and ceremonial unwrapping of the blanket.

“Ha, I bet she’ll have Franco’s jaw,” said Annette during her birthday laughing fit. Everyone else was too tired to cheer.

Franco needed to reserve his energy towards making sure that Lily was dressed for maximum cuteness, after all. She giggled and smiled whenever she tried on an orange shirt, so that quickly decided her color scheme. He even forgot that he would have to look at Lily and all of the features she got from Pansy for all eternity.

Even if she did look like his ex-wife, Lily was so charmingly cute.

Easily excited by the thought of getting a bottle.

And, of course, excited to learn.

Franco spent his days off doting on Lily. Whatever rough start she had to her life was a non-issue to Franco whenever he scooped up his little flower or guided her with playing the xylophone.

But what if he missed out on some of her all-too-short toddler years on a frivolous foray into higher education?

Of course, he put that into consideration when he sent in the aptitude test. When he received a letter back giving him a hefty scholarship for the fine arts. However, it wasn’t like Franco needed a boost. He was close to being the top stylist in Simnation. He was a masterful painter, sketcher, a true artistic genius.

"So why are you doing it?" asked Annette, when he mailed in his enrollment and a deposit.

"Because I'm not living forever without a few adventures. I don't get all of my joy from bar-hopping in Twinbrook."

"I know why you're doing this," said Annette, "But sure. Tell yourself that you're just restless."

Yes, he may have been persuaded by a couple others.

Julian’s boss gave him an ultimatum: go to university and learn the fine points of communications, or forever stay a paperboy. They couldn’t afford an amateur writing mediocre columns, after all.

Hannah’s job required none of that, but she still picked up the aptitude test the moment it was delivered.

She could put on a good show, degree or no degree.

However, critics noticed that her songs became consistently sorrowful, melodramatic, and downright angsty, filled with bitter breakup songs and autobiographical tales of not feeling wanted. Ms. C became the hot new artist for the angsty teenager crowd, in spite of her niche originally being cheerful dance pop.

She had the awareness to want to change that.

Soon, everyone latched on to the idea. Annette changed her mind and wanted to beat her son at being a fine arts major. Pansy decided that she could use one last trip before she got elderly.

Shark stayed behind for Lily. Being the biggest name in sculpting was enough for him, and having an adorable toddler all to himself was enough of a reason to stay in Twinbrook.

The other five got off to a great start.

Julian kicked vampiric-behind, until running home screaming after Abigal bared her glistening fangs in the direction of his neck.

And Hannah?

Well, she was either scheming deeply, or just enthralled by the pretty lights of the Group Science Project. Maybe both.

Word Count for this chapter: 1,245
Word Count so far: 39,974
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Oh boy, what shenanigans this crew can pull at University...

I will be staying tuned. :)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »
Somehow I feel that these mature students are not going to live up to their name...  ;)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »
University, watch out!  The Waverleys are there!  hehehehe, this should be very good XD

McHazy

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:58 AM »
Ha ha this is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see what they get up to. Happy birthday to Lily, she looks like she may be a daddy's girl.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
Hurrah for excursions to university! Here's hoping they all do well!

Woo! I was waiting for you to find me. ;D

I'm glad you like it. It's a good exercise in writing fiction, and also one of the best-feeling experiences I've had writing so far. It's the huge rush of confidence mixed with a lot of time for me to really reflect on what happened in the story. If the material is also enjoyable for others to read, that's nice too!

Well, it took me long enough to realise there was a story attached to the beautiful banner in your signature!  ::)

Ah yes, I understand the feeling.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »

I'm seeing some major juice-parties in the Waverly's futrure: Annette, juiced out of her mind, making inappropriate comments way too loudly, Julian tripping on some herbs quietly painting, while Franco and Hannah make out in a corner like teens. Lilly's adorable. Thank god she's home safe while the rest of the family goes crazy.  ;)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 32, 3/21)
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
Oh boy, what shenanigans this crew can pull at University...

I will be staying tuned. :)

Yeah, I can't say that the Waverlys are really studious. That doesn't make for good screenshots. :P

This is just wonderfully written and completely absorbing.

Hi new reader! Thanks for the nice comment. :)

Somehow I feel that these mature students are not going to live up to their name...  ;)

Not an unfounded feeling.

University, watch out!  The Waverleys are there!  hehehehe, this should be very good XD

Controlling five students means something good has to arise just by sheer chance.

Ha ha this is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see what they get up to. Happy birthday to Lily, she looks like she may be a daddy's girl.

She's still a daddy's girl in her old age! I catch her and Franco talking a lot and they've always had a very high relationship. She and Pansy got along, but poor Pansy never seemed close with anyone. :(

Hurrah for excursions to university! Here's hoping they all do well!

Well, it took me long enough to realise there was a story attached to the beautiful banner in your signature!  ::)

Ah yes, I understand the feeling.

Aww, and I thought the banner was going to be an ingenious way to market my dynasty.

I'm seeing some major juice-parties in the Waverly's futrure: Annette, juiced out of her mind, making inappropriate comments way too loudly, Julian tripping on some herbs quietly painting, while Franco and Hannah make out in a corner like teens. Lilly's adorable. Thank god she's home safe while the rest of the family goes crazy.  ;)

The first one is true no matter where they are! The Waverlys all eventually became rather habitual drinkers, but Annette's easy to write as a party-hard-juice-harder type. In fact, I have this gem from an earlier attempt with Annette. Juice was always her thing:

The other statements might not be so true, though. :P

Lily is indeed adorable, but taking care of the five at uni was enough without adding her to the mix.

Chapter 32: Julian at the Podium

It was largely Julian’s story.

His assignment was to create a radio show. He spent the whole night writing a proposal about a cerebral talk show focused on the arts and modern culture. He double-checked the margins’ width and the font he used, and handed a multi-page, well-argued proposal only for it to be laughed down in a matter of seconds.

“Listen, Bull, very few people around here will listen to that,” his professor said, “You gotta enter journalism with sharp arguments before you get all smart on the public.”

He had to sit through a whole class after that, nervously taking notes.

Julian came home from class and crashed in bed immediately, after deleting his copy of the proposal from the computer. He then got up just as immediately when he realized that the sheets were unwashed, and ran into a swimsuit-clad Annette.

“I’m going to need this detergent for my brain too,” he muttered as he poured the white powder into the washing machine.

“Can’t a lady enjoy herself?” Annette asked, with a hand on her hip, “Get your speedo on. Didn’t I tell you about the party?”

Julian groaned. “Don’t you have homework?” he asked Annette, “Kind of a crummy time for a party.”

“I paid Ms. Noetal with a whole brick of simoleons. What is homework?”

While he didn’t warm up to the party, he warmed up at it, poking the bonfire. Annette offered Julian some juice just before hand, just enough to loosen his inhibitions. However, all the juice in the keg wouldn’t wipe the scowl off Pansy’s face.

That was the hot tub’s job.

Pansy relaxed in the hot tub, even with the closest person to an enemy sitting at the other end, letting the hot water ease away all of the day’s gruesome experiences of live dissection and lectures on special cases in psychology. Such was the path Hannah chose. The college of Science and Medicine sent her everything; extra scholarships, extra credits, free keychains and a unisex t-shirt in the wrong size.

“Prof. talked about love today,” said Hannah, as she leaned back against the jets, “Well, the sociology of it. Compassionate versus passionate. Compassionate love is respect and trust, while passionate is about emotion, affection, woohoo. I always wonder what I feel.” Pansy gave her a death glare.

“Geez, let it go,” said Hannah, “You got your ring smelted into a snazzy charm for a bracelet, and you still think that I’m after the man you don’t have.”

“Shut up,” Pansy muttered, “I’m basically over it, but the more you rub your victory in my face, the less I can actually get over it.”

“Who says it’s about him?” Hannah inquisitively looked at her pruning skin. “I learned about why your skin prunes yesterday. Wanna hear it? Or the case of some insane man who thought that he was watcher-appointed and in the midst of a war against Reapers or aliens? I like learning new things.”

“I’m good,” Pansy turned towards Julian, who jumped in his seat as a jet suddenly came on right in back of him. “Listen, Julian, I don’t think you want to hear to two ladies squabble over love.”

“It’s the house I was born into,” he said.

“Yeah, but maybe you can get to know someone else.”

He ended up having a conversation with Manisha, one of Hannah’s sociology classmates. “I can’t,” she said, “No matter how good you look in that speedo, I have a boyfriend.”

“I just asked you about campus events,” he said.

“Sorry. Kind of mad. My roomie’s protest got cancelled for being anti-government. I guess that’s a campus happening. I bet everyone is at the park right now waiting for him.”

“That’s...cool. How could I start one?” Julian said, with a stutter.

“Yell really loudly about something when people are around,” Manisha said, “Trust me, it always works around here.”

“I don’t know, it’s getting late,” said Julian. Then he heard Annette from across the yard.

“It’s just a plant? What’s the worst that could happen?” she said, then chewing on a sprig of what was hopefully just peppermint.

“I’m going to start a protest,” said Julian.

He ended up carpooling with Pansy and Franco, who offered support in case Julian had a breakdown or severe stage fright. None of them bothered to change out of their swimsuits; nothing made a statement like some skin. Franco ended up driving. Julian was too busy biting his nails down to the quick as the juice wore off. He saw the crowd gathered in the park and nearly fainted.

“Holy crap, this is a horrible idea,” he whispered.

“Look, I’ll get you out of there once any trouble happens,” said Franco, placing a reassuring hand on Julian’s shoulder, “Until the police get involved.”

“And I, for one, will stick around when the police come,” said Pansy, “A true friend looks out for you no matter what.”

A rough, wooden podium plastered in anti-government signs and slogans was already set up for the canceled protest. Julian couldn’t care less about the issue, but he brought no signs. He brought no issue either. He walked up to the podium speechless.

“Look, I have homework to do tonight,” he said, meaning to just address his friends, but accidentally speaking into the mic.

“Yeah, but we have to complain first!” said a voice from the crowd. People were already waving signs. Some were anti-government, but apparently those protests attracted many students with different issues. One sign against expensive textbooks, another against a lack of counseling and quality campus healthcare. How could he tackle so many issues? Maybe Franco was a better speaker.

Hopefully a better speaker than a guitar player. His untuned strumming attracted only Pansy, and even then, out of bile fascination.

"Guys?" Julian asked them, with no response. He stood at the podium with no support and the flimsiest of ideas to start a protest about.

Julian started going off the signs.

“Did you know that my mum had to set aside a whole trust fund for me to go here? And that still wasn’t enough! Down with tuition raises!” He spoke directly into the mic and was greeted with a loud cheer, considering that no one knew that he was filthy rich. “Which are part of the establishment!” More cheering.

He never thought it would happen, but his words drew a crowd. Soon, he felt as uninhibited as if he drank all the juice in the keg.

“And you know what? I want the administration to listen to student government, dangit! Voices for all of us!” Everyone started to go crazy for Julian, even if he was backed by bribe money and a a family with quite a voice.

“Better dining hall food!” even though he ate Annette’s superb cooking at home. “Relaxed party laws!” even if he detested parties. “Legalize restricted herbs!” he actually had no opinion either way, and thought they tasted too harsh to use. And his peers ate it up.

He kept going with that strategy.

It got him accolades in the morning, and a good word from his professor later that day in class. “That’s the gripping stuff I’m talking about! Reporting it, doing it, whatever. You gotta get attention and you sure as hell did last night, Bull.”

Julian even inspired a copy-cat. No one wanted to listen to Franco’s rants about the scourge of clashing colors and casual outfits, though.

Franco found other ways to make statements instead. A few of his classmates liked his public art, and the bonus on his quiz might have resulted from it. He escaped after the initial arrest; Annette threw another brick of simoleons into the police cruiser, quietly saying “and that never happened.” The policewoman nodded.

Thanks to the bribery, Annette led a pretty relaxed university life. Because money could buy her free grades, she focused her loads of free time on helping Hannah de-stress after a lab.

The sociology class stuck with Hannah, though, mostly the lecture about love. It gave her a good basis for her to reflect and realize that she felt both and had neither reciprocated. As she smoothed the wrinkles in her face with foundation, she fought with herself over if she had to focus on love while there was still time, or if she was just too old to care about such things. It took her only until she finished applying her seductive red lipstick to make a choice.

The first one, of course. Franco never received a letter. Not on his desk, or in his pocket, or left under the pillow. Not hidden in his sketchbook or street art carrying bag, or even in the mailbox.

But perhaps, he didn’t need a letter.

Word Count for this chapter: 1,479
Word Count so far: 41,453
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

anything