Author Topic: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Nov 15)  (Read 119154 times)

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 13)
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2020, 12:50:14 AM »
Aww, poor little Vatore. I’m sure he’ll be much happier with Oddity. I love the way you’ve incorporated current events into your story. It’s so creative.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2020, 09:11:52 AM »
Aww, poor little Vatore. I’m sure he’ll be much happier with Oddity. I love the way you’ve incorporated current events into your story. It’s so creative.

Thanks! Caleb and Lilith just don't seem to have the right kind of household for toddlers or children.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
Jonah Cottoneye 4

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
"It's been spotted in Del Sol Valley," said Hugh Caliente. "Nikita says the scientists think that it has an affinity for desert climates."
"Durn," said Hank Cottoneye. "I'd always hoped that what happened in Strangerville would stay in Strangerville."
"We've lost our money tree," Hugh continued, "and so have the Zests and the Lee-Scotts."
"Ours is gone, too," said Hank.
"All our businesses have shut down, and so have those in Oasis Springs," said Hugh. "And this is probably the last time we'll be able to meet in a restaurant. I've been given early retirement, too."
"Hope as well," Hank told him. "She's cross because painters aren't considered 'essential workers.' But police are, so I should be going."
"Oh, there's one bit of good news from Nikita's lab -- babies, toddlers, and children appear to be immune."
"What about teens?" asked Hank.
Hugh shrugged. "They don't know yet."

Either way, it didn't matter. Jonah was becoming a young adult.

"Should we keep him here?" Hank asked Hope. "He's always complained about how small this place is."

"Well, he has his robot construction set-up here," said Hope.

"And he just installed a solar panel and dew collector, so it looks like he's planning to stay for a while," said Hank. "On the other hand, what with the volcano and all, he's never going to get this place as green as he wants."
"We should ask him what he wants to do," said Hope.

Jonah meanwhile was reading his acceptance letter from Foxbury Institute. "Distinguished degree, physics, scholarship..." he couldn't wait to tell his parents.

"I've been accepted!" he shouted. But then he noticed that his parents looked sad. "Is something wrong?"
"Strangerville will almost certainly be put under quarantine," Hank told him. "We've got some money saved up for your education -- we think you should move while you can."
"Especially if you want to go to college," said Hope. "They might not let you come if they think you're contaminated."
"Look upon it as an opportunity," said Hank. "You're keen on living in a green area, so go someplace where there are lots of trees."
"You could come with me," said Jonah. "We could all move."
Hank shook his head. "I've got to stay and look after your grandfather's memorial. Now go before the quarantine becomes official."

So Jonah found himself in Glimmerbrook, a place where there were lots of trees and not much else. He signed up for classes and built a somewhat eco-friendly house. All the appliances would need upgrading, but he bought a dew collector and a solar panel. And then a couple more solar panels, as his bills seemed to keep going up.

In fact, it soon became obvious that Jonah was going to need some kind of income. Luckily, his programming skill was high enough that he was able to get a couple of freelance gigs. Even away from Strangerville, that seemed to be the only kind of work possible.

His college classes seemed to be going well. Jonah had plenty of room to set up his presentation board inside -- something that wouldn't have been possible at his parents' house.

One evening he called Nanette and invited her over.

"The house is still pretty small," he said, "but there's room to put in another bedroom and bath."
"And a study," said Nanette. "I'll need to have a place to write my poetry. And what about your robots?"
"I don't know," said Jonah. "Making robots is going to increase the industrial footprint."
"So put up some more solar panels," said Nanette. "You love making robots, you know you do."

What with homework and gigs, Jonah was surprised when it was Harvest Day already. He appeased the gnomes with coffee and pie.

And then he went back to Strangerville for a visit.
"I'm supposed to arrest you," his dad grumbled. "You're not supposed to be here."
"Dad, I don't have the simid-4.1, and you and Mom don't, so what's the problem? And I'm not going to see anyone else while I'm here."
"Even so, I'm an officer of the law, and you're in violation of quarantine."
But Jonah could tell that his parents were glad to see him. He assured them that he was eating well, that he was doing all his homework, and that he was okay for money. And then he left, going back to Glimmerbrook, which was not quite yet home.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 15)
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
Elspeth Hecking 4

As a single mother and spellcaster, Elspeth took a while to figure out what she wanted out of life. She named the baby Merlin.

The first thing that had to change was one of their Neighborhood Action Plans. She didn't know who had chosen Power Conservation, Water Conservation, Roughhousing Encouraged, and Sharing is Caring, but if she ever found out, she would do a little roughhousing herself.

She set about trying to repeal Sharing is Caring and made the discovery that even a close friend won't sign your petition if she has just taken your bathroom sink.

But her boyfriend Chance was willing to sign.

And he was happy to spend some time with little Merlin, too.

Merlin was a happy and inquisitive little fellow, playing dinosaur with his mother...

...interrogating his grandmother and aunt...

...and listening to his favorite bedtime story, the one about dinosaurs, again.

He enjoyed dancing, too.

Elspeth finally managed to land a job as a medical assistant at I Fell Down, a Wellness Center. They were willing to overlook her lack of medical experience because she reminded them that her Plentiful Needs potions would give her the stamina to last the long hours at work. Her abilities to instantaneously repair broken equipment and clean up spills were also considered pluses.

The Simid-4.1 virus outbreak made patients reluctant to actually enter the wellness center, but Elspeth managed to persuade them to come inside before they froze to death.

It didn't take her long to figure out how to use the X-ray machine.

Before long she was not only performing tests, but also giving diagnoses.

The wellness center even let her administer the treadmill test. Given the name of the place, Elspeth had expected the patients to be elderly, but this one seemed to be in quite good shape, illness aside.

Time was passing quickly, though, and Elspeth returned from work one evening to find that her father Grant had become an elder. But he was in good shape, and he started to use his blog to give healthy tips to seniors.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 22)
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
Robin Newbida 6

Things have changed here in Newcrest. I discovered one day that we had become a Sharing and Caring neighborhood. Not wanting to lose all of our bathroom sinks, I managed to persuade Frank to sign a petition to repeal. Surprisingly, Mumsie was a hold-out. "We have so much," she said, waving her hand around. "If people are in need, why shouldn't they take something?" "But what about the artifacts?" I asked. Even so, she wasn't ready to sign, but I was able to get my 5 signatures anyway.

Another change is the Simid-4.1. Although our money tree didn't die of the virus, it was blighted and never reached full growth.

More of a problem was the new travel restriction. While handling one of our Omiscan relics, I activated a curse. No airline was willing to take me to Selvadorada, so I had to use some of my 1.8 million Simoleons and charter a plane.

The Madre soon healed me.

I decided that as long as I was in Selvadorada, I might as well do some exploring before I returned to Newcrest.

I took a picture of the jungle for Mumsie.

And picked up a few artifacts to bring home.

Unfortunately for Nadine, I inadvertently brought home some of the jungle fauna as well. Sorry about that, child.

And speaking of children, Atticus is our newest addition.

He looks more like his father and sister than he does me. He's inherited the Straud eyebrows but not the pallor.

His high spirits can sometimes be a problem.

But as long as he can eat where he wants, he's less of a handful.

One frosty morning, Atticus helped me build a snowpal.

And I have to say, she turned out pretty well.

Atticus loves getting his bedtime story, and after a busy day, T-rex Trex is about all that I'm intellectually capable of dealing with.

And speaking of busy days, Mumsie is entering the evening of her life. Because of the virus, she can't leave the house at all, which she finds annoying but understandable.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 28)
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
Maria Gothario 6

Here I am with Angela and Vivian right after I became a young adult. We're all wearing coats because it's almost as cold inside as outside.

It took forever for my application to clear the university system, so I had to find other things to do. I worked on repealing our Roughhousing Encouraged N.A.P., getting Aunt Claudia to sign.

I made snow pals.

I drew a portrait of Mama Corn, using her sketchpad. It's not worth a lot of simoleons, but it is a good likeness, so we're hanging it next to her portrait of Grandmother.

I danced.

I went outside, hunting for crystals and fossils to complete a collection.

And finally, finally, I was accepted into the distinguished degree program in Psychology at Foxbury Institute. I'm a little sad because I'd hoped to move onto campus. The dorms are all closed, though, because of the virus, and I'll be attending from home. Still, I'm more excited than sad.

Besides homework, I also had to put together a presentation.

After some hard thinking and a lot of thumbtacks, it became outstanding. I like my Rorschach test in the lower left corner. I see a space alien with a couple of pistols -- don't know what that means, though.

The night before Winterfest, we had a visitor -- not Father Winter, but the Eco-Inspector. He became my good friend, but still slapped us with a penalty for using too much water. I mean -- four women in the household, of course we're going to take showers.

We all had fun trimming the tree and singing "Zwingle Fibb" together.

When I opened my present, I was pleased to discover the one element I needed to complete my collection. So I finished the Collector aspiration and have moved on to the Academic one.

Luis came over to celebrate Winterfest with us.

And he became my boyfriend. In fact, he's moving in with us.

Lots of confetti. Both Angela and Vivian became young adults, and I had a confetti moment myself, too. But more about that next time.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jun 29)
« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
It took lots of binge reading, but I'm finally caught up!  So glad to see these fantastic families still going strong even in the midst of Simvid-4.1 (if I remember the name correctly).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
Yes, you do remember the name correctly. You would see more Sims wearing bags, except that all of my neighborhoods have maxed their NAPs, so all I can do is have a family repeal a NAP and see what happens, sigh.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2020, 05:37:30 PM »
Oh, those NAPs! I had to mod them out of my game. I hope the team gets a fix out soon.

Atticus is adorable in his glasses. You're making excellent progress and all of the families are great. It's interesting to see how the genetics are playing out between the different families when the marry each other.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:35 AM »
Dion Caliente 4

Dion thought that he had a full and active life. He took care of his garden.

He went to class.

He worked on his presentations.

But one evening, the ghost of his grandfather J sat down to have a talk with him. "You know what one of the greatest joys of my life was?" J began. "Getting to know you as a kid. I don't think your dad is going to get that unless you start picking up the pace in the romance department."

The problem was that Dion hardly knew any females who weren't teenagers. But wait -- there was Amanda Hecking. "So I was thinking -- dinner maybe? The Villa Bovine? The food's supposed to be pretty good." Amanda said yes, and Dion hurried over to the restaurant.

When he arrived, he found that her parents had come to the restaurant as well. "Don't pay any attention to us," said Elsa. "You won't even know we're there."

What followed was an excruciating evening of flirtation and overpriced food. Do not look over to the left, do not look over to the left, Dion kept telling himself. "Since my sister had an out-of-wedlock baby, my parents are a little over-protective," Amanda explained.

Dion managed to get a kiss after they left the restaurant, but that was all.

He had to wait until Winterfest before he could do any serious wooing. "Now that I've finished my degree, do you think you'd like to be my girlfriend?" he asked.

"Or maybe get married?"

Amanda said yes, and soon she had good news for him.

But their joy was cut short when Nikita died. "Amanda and I just got married," Dion complained to Grim. "Can't you at least wait until New Year's?"
"That's too long," said Grim. "But you can enjoy a night on the town."

So Dion took everyone to Chez Llama for a free meal. Amanda had morning sickness, and Nikita was a bit dazed, but at least they had one last meal together. Grim didn't give them the full 24 hours but returned early the next morning.

The Romance Festival was going on the next day. "Let's go and renew our vows," said Dion. "It'll be the wedding we didn't have."

And not long after that, baby Gina was born.

She inherited the Caliente red hair, but her love of dancing was her own.

Sadly, Hugh didn't get to spend much time with her.

"I gave you a break on your mother," said Grim. "And your dad got the regular notice."
"But he's at level 10 of fitness," sobbed Dion. "Wouldn't that count for something?"
"Apparently not," said Grim.

That evening, Amanda tried to read to Gina. "Why can't Grampa read me a story?" she asked.

Dion was busy trying to analyze his growfruit plant. "Honey!" Amanda called. "Your daughter has a question for you."
It was too soon for the birds and the bees, thought Dion, and really, how tough could a toddler's question be? He was about to find out.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jul 3)
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »
Katrina, Nina, Dina, and now Gina.  Well done!  And she's such a cutie!
That moment when she asks about grandpa.  Ouch!  It was Peter Parker not feeling so well all over again!!  Gave me all the feels.  All of them!!  In other words, really effective writing there, Marian  ;=)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2020, 07:25:54 AM »
Aw, thanks! I really was not expecting Hugh to go, despite Grim's notice, as he did max fitness a while ago. But I guess it's the Body Builder aspiration and/or the active trait that give Sims the extra time. And Gina's expression plus Amanda's in the screenshot pretty much gave me what to say. Gina is the first Caliente girl-child, and I'm ecstatic that she got the red hair.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »
Willow Wisely

It's not just the end of a year. It's the end of an era. We've survived the Year of the Penguin, the Llama, the Dog, the Womrat, the Cat, the Racoon, the Freezer Bunny, and the Bear. And now the cycle is starting all over.

Remember me? It's all right if you don't. I was around at the beginning, but everyone seems to be managing quite well on their own. I just like to check up on my families from time to time.

Starting with the Newbidas. Robin is making progress with Archaeology. She married Frank Straud and adopted his daughter Nadine. She and Frank have heir number 4 -- Atticus.

Maria Gothario isn't married yet, but she has a lovely baby boy, Mort, and Luis Caliente has moved in with her. She plans to combine motherhood with a degree in psychology, pursuant to a career in education.

Dion Caliente has finished his schooling with a distinguished degree in biology. He married Amanda Hecking, and they have a red-haired daughter, Gina. Dion is thinking about moving to Evergreen Harbor as soon as his garden has 10 excellent plants.

Tiffany Landgraab is working on a degree in Physics and hopes to complete the requirements for a Bodybuilder aspiration. But she's leaning towards a career as an astronaut. She's going steady with Carl Newbida, but they're not engaged yet.

Rosa Straud plans to study Language and Literature at the University of Britechester and then work on screenplays. No romance in her life yet, but she has her eye on Nathan Zest.

Toby Zest had planned to become a scientist, but now that he's discovered fabrication, he's leaning towards Civil Designer. And if he skips college, he and Vivian Kim-Lewis can get married early.

Justice Lee-Scott is planning to become a judge. Given his first name and his mother's career as a lawyer, he really doesn't have much choice. He completed his first term at the University of Britechester with honors, which is a good start. But now Angela Gothario is a young adult, he might find himself getting distracted.

Oddity Curious is still trying to find himself. He's taking lessons in drama and has appeared in a couple of commercials for Vladislaus Hardware, but his acting career hasn't gotten off the ground yet. Maybe his best role is that of parent, to his daughter Venusia and his toddler son, Vatore. His girlfriend Lilith Vatore has no interest in getting married now that she's won the Lottery.

Jonah Cottoneye is working on a degree in Physics and waiting for Nanette Landgraab to grow up.

Elspeth Hecking is keeping busy as a future doctor and the mother of a toddler spellcaster, Merlin. She and Merlin's father, Chance Givens, have a good relationship, but Chance doesn't want to leave Sulani, and Elspeth wants to stay with her parents Elsa and Grant.

And there you have it. Everyone's healthy and financially solvent, even though their money trees have died. Five generation 4 heirs are waiting in the wings, and we're about to begin the Year of the Penguin 2.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jul 8)
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
Loved the recap.  Also love that you chose Lilith Vatore to be one of the babymamas, but that's just my own bias.
So many great families that you made it too hard for me to pick a favorite, which is unusual for me.  Well done!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Jul 8)
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:53 PM »
I love seeing how the genetics are playing out in your game. It’s nice to have a recap like this once in a while—it helps me keep everyone straight. Of course, I am partial to all things Curious, so I love Oddity.

I hope you get one of those phone call soon!