Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 353670 times)

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
Stuff in the FeaturedItems folder can be deleted, but the game will just re-download it all again.

If you are happy fiddling around with Windows, you can set the folder to "Read Only", which will stop the game from saving more thumbnails to the folder. Also, turn off "store content" in your options. Your premium items will still be there (in my experience) but it will stop downloading Featured Items for Build/Buy mode.

I've also been using a program called Save Cleaner. That seems to help a lot.

Offline Mahmeya

• Townie
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
Something that's probably not without risk: If you use a sim for travelling, and use it a lot, your save size will grow. Fully exploring most tombs and doing many adventures caused my save to grow near 2GB, which will take some time to load (and save). So was trying something: When the sim who done the travelling died, I've deleted the files (I believe it was 7 files) associated with the travels: They are named China*.*, Egypt*.* and France*.* + there's the TravelDB.package file. If you're sure the sim will not travel anymore under your control (dead, moved out of your household) or you're switching towns, you can delete them at your own risk* to speed up the load/save process. Though when switching towns it's better done by saving your sims to the bin, and starting new game in different town with them. Yes, you can use the move between 'hoods feature, but starting anew guarantees the save will be as small as possible.

*I did this a few times without problems, but you never know...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Puddingfishcake

• Nooboo
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
I have a really good tip to shorten the time of loading screens! (If you have cc)

So, cc has often names with (){}][, spaces and other charcaters.
if you want to speed up the loading time you need to rename the cc you have and only use a-z, 0-9, - and _, those are seen as proper codes (?) (sorry I'm not English).
If you have like way to many files you can easily edit all you files in like 2 minutes with the bulk rename utility, you can like say change all ( in - or omething :)
I've done it with my sims 2 today and my loading time went from 30 minutes to 15 :D! It probably works with sims 3 too but I haven't tested it yet!

Offline Harmlessoldlady

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
I found the hints in here very helpful. Even with my new computer with huge storage and speed, I had to do a Factory Reset early on.

The hints to move Screenshots and Saves out of the main game into separate folders has been very helpful in keeping the game speedy and fun. I do have to remember to move a Save into the Saves folder before starting the game...and I'm old so that's challenging, but I'm getting the hang of it.

In fact, following many screenshot hints in this Forum, I have begun to truly enjoy creating slideshows for my computer. Watching those feels like I'm playing even when I'm not. whee.

One cache package file I do not delete is the "userPresets.package" so I don't have to choose my season length and population choices every single time I start the game.

Offline Mortiferon

• Nooboo
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Registered to let others know, I just did this following instructions to the letter, NOT touching the ccmerged.package, and yet absolutely not a single one of my store contents worked after. So, be smart, make a FULL backup of DCCache, DCBackup and the compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, socialCache.package, and CASPartCache.package because I have no idea which of these was responsible for my unfortunate result.

I'm in the process of re-installing the content now... don't know yet if more drastic measures are called for. I will edit when I find out.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
The only ones I delete, dcbackup, compositorCache, and CASPartCache and have never had a problem.  The other ones you mentioned, I don't think you are suppose to delete.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline PurpleKite

• Nooboo
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
Hello, fellow Simmers!  This is my first time posting here, so forgive me if I seem especially noobish.   ;)   I've read through this thread and from what I could surmise, the recommended files to delete are DCBackup (but leave ccMerged.package!), CompositorCache, CASPartCache, and simCompositorCache.  I deleted these files, restarted my computer, and launched the game.  Everything loaded fine, except my saved game was gone, along with ALL my downloaded content (objects, items, worlds, lots, etc.).  I don't use any mods, and I only purchase and/or download from the Sims store and Exchange.  I had been under the impression from reading in the thread that my saved games and purchases would remain intact.  It's not a big deal, as I can just download and reinstall my purchases, but I just want to know:  What did I do wrong?  Am I correct in the files that I deleted? 

If someone could just verify that DCBackup, CASPartCache, CompositorCache, and simCompositorCache are the appropriate files to delete (and I know...don't touch ccMerged.package!), or else tell me which ones are correct...it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, friends!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sawadaWiz

• Llama Wrangler
  • Don't look at me
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »
I understand now why I shouldn't delete dcCache, it will delete all CCs I have installed, and deleting ccmerged.package causes my CCs aren't able to work properly.

Some cache package files seems to boost loading process, for example when I'm loading sunset valley without caches, it will take 3 times longer than with caches. Whatever, I always delete cache files before playing

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
  • I'm Louise but you can just call me Louise
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2014, 04:31:09 AM »
Some cache package files seems to boost loading process, for example when I'm loading sunset valley without caches, it will take 3 times longer than with caches. Whatever, I always delete cache files before playing

That's because the game recreates the cache files whenever you start up the game again, meaning the loading times are longer.

Offline Harmlessoldlady

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
If someone could just verify that DCBackup, CASPartCache, CompositorCache, and simCompositorCache are the appropriate files to delete (and I know...don't touch ccMerged.package!), or else tell me which ones are correct...it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, friends!

That's a creepy problem there PurpleKite. I've never had that problem when deleting the files. Here is the list of 5 files I always delete with no problem:

CASPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
socialCache.package

I will suggest that, once you have reinstalled all your purchases, you make a backup copy of your Download folder somewhere other than the Sims3 game folders. Also I make copies of my saved games in separate folders, too.

But I cannot imagine why all your stuff and games disappeared. that's very strange.

Offline HaileyCrys

• Nooboo
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
I followed the directions of the original post. Instead of deleting everything I moved them all to a folder on my desktop (just in case I did something wrong... I would be able to move all the files back easily)

It took an extra couple minutes to load the game back up. And that was totally fine.... but my game is working SOOO much better now.

One question that I have.... will it help to delete all the Memories and then just shut that function off in the options? Or is that another file that may have been mentioned that can be deleted (I might have missed it)

Thanks

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
Hi HaileyCrys,

Yes, it would definitely help to delete the memories and then turn it off in the options. It will help your game be less bloated.

Here are some same tips as in the original post, but some other ones you may want to have a look at.

Tips to help with Sims 3 Crashing
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.0.html

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »
I am locking this thread. As it was originally suppose to be for information purposes only.

If you have a technical problem, please go ahead and post a new message by going to the main technical board and select New Topic.

Technical Help - Sims 3
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/board,12.0.html

This will help us to see your questions better and get an answer quicker.

Thank you!! :)

The Techie Team
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything