Author Topic: Union Cove Technical Issues  (Read 312127 times)

Offline Tealeaf

• Townie
    • Annie Takes Off
Re: Union Cove Technical Issues
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
Yes, I do have a 32 bit system, and I'm using a AMD Radeon HD3450 Video card, so I'm guessing that this is the problem.

I'm typing this in a state of shock.  I mentioned to Mr. Tealeaf that I wanted a better computer, and he was actually fine with it.  Off to the Dell store!  I don't really know what all this means, but this is what I'm getting in two weeks or so

Cut and Paste from invoice = ON

XPS 8300, Intel Core i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB
AMD Radeon HD 6770
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, English, No Media

Cut and Paste from invoice = OFF

Please please please someone tell me that the Sims 3 (and Skyrim, I guess) will run better on this thing!  /crosses fingers
I'm Tealeaf, and I approve of this message.

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:26 AM »
Well Mrs Tealeaf,

From what I have read it looks like it will be a very nice computer.  I have not had experiences with Dell so I can not tell you anything about the company that makes them, but the system itself looks good.  Are they making it for you?  If they are I would try to get a 700W Power Supply to help with the power.  Not sure what this system will have. Doesn't hurt to ask :)  I had to do a lot of shopping around for a system a couple years ago.

I am excited for you and congratulations ahead of time :) 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
I've been loading various families in Union Cove and admiring them.  I've noticed a couple of problems so far that I wanted to report.  I can't load the Ingles family, which the notes for the last update say has been removed but actually hasn't been.  Also, Sandy Claws can't access the upper parts of his house.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
@ Mrs Tealeaf
I believe I am going to be jealous of your computer! It is way better than mine... actually almost exactly like better than the one on my wishlist ;)
I'm sure you'll enjoy the sims very much on that one!!

@ ClayMask
About the Ingles, I have been asking the same question. The messages are on this same page actually. You can take a look at the 4th til 8th message from the top if you like :)

In my UC Sandy Claws has no problem reaching the top floor with the bed. He just climbs up the pole.
EDIT: Wait, now I do notice when I tell him to use a furniture up there, he won't climb up completely and slides down again. Although, when I click on the pole and tell him to climb up, he does reach the upper floor. Weird. Don't know if that's suppose to be that way...?
Another EDIT: I do notice that he is training a skill when climbing. Maybe he needs to have a higher skill level to climb up without sliding down? Maybe it is just like how a sim with a low athletic skill level falls of the treadmill and sims with a higher athletic skill level don't?

@ Rattlebox
Don't want to sound like a wise guy (or girl :P) for trying to answer all questions, but didn't want you to think that nobody saw your question either actually.
Don't really know for sure, 'cause I have never seen that problem in The Sims 3. I did have similar things with The Sims 2 and other games on my old laptop though. To me it seems like your video card has a difficult time handling it. What video card do you have?
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »
@ ClayMask
About the Ingles, I have been asking the same question. The messages are on this same page actually. You can take a look at the 4th til 8th message from the top if you like :)
In my UC Sandy Claws has no problem reaching the top floor with the bed. He just climbs up the pole.
Looks like I had the same experience as you, except I can't play as the Ingles even if I switch into them as the active household.  Sandy Claws in my game can't go up the spiral staircase, he just waves his arm around like there's something blocking his path instead.

Offline Odie

• Occult
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
Looks like I had the same experience as you, except I can't play as the Ingles even if I switch into them as the active household.  Sandy Claws in my game can't go up the spiral staircase, he just waves his arm around like there's something blocking his path instead.

Maybe you should try switching again, just like I did:

Ok, I actually already tried what you suggest before your message. I started with Barbi and Ken and switched households to the Ingles family, but they don't come up correctly. Something weird is still going on there. I keep the pictures of the previous family (Barbi and Ken in this case), but the game responds as if I am controlling Laura Ingles. I cannot control another in the household though... :(

Edit: Ok, I have done the same thing again. I switched households to the Buznik family and switched back again to the Ingles and now it does work! pfffiew, I am glad that I don't have to delete them now. Seemed such a waist ;-)

Don't know about the spiral staircase. Mine works just fine. If I remember correctly I believe some spiral staircases in UC needed to be fixed. So maybe there is something you can do about it. Have you tried to go to build mode and move the staircase away and back again?

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
When I try switching households a few times before switching to the Ingles it doesn't work, and just puts The Jockey lifetime wish on a member of my previous household.  Moving the spiral staircase and moving it back seemed to work, however.  Hopefully he'll be able to access his upstairs if I'm not playing as him in a game, which is something I'm still worried about.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odie

• Occult
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
When I switched to the Ingles family, I had a similar thing. I kept the pictures of the previous family, but I saw the plumbob above one of the Ingles family, so I was actually controlling her. I believe I also pressed the space bar to see if I could switch or something.
The problem with the Ingles was solved for me when I switched like this:
Barbi & Ken Dolls -> Ingles -> Buznik -> Ingles
(be sure to go directly to edit town from your household, find the household you want to switch to and choose the button "switch to this household" - don't know for sure if it is exactly called that, 'cause I play in Dutch :) )

Maybe that works for you too ;)
(or else maybe you should continue to another family and go to the Ingles again)
It still is weird that this is neccesary though... I actually found this same problem in another big world of a good builder, so it is not just a UC problem.

About the spiral staircase; if you moved it and could put it back, there should be nothing blocking it now. If your Sandy Claws can use it now, he will also be able to use it when you leave him to play with someone else. If you want to make sure, you can always visit him and try to use the staircase with your visiting sim.

Rattlebox

« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
@ Mrs Tealeaf
I believe I am going to be jealous of your computer! It is way better than mine... actually almost exactly like better than the one on my wishlist ;)
I'm sure you'll enjoy the sims very much on that one!!

@ ClayMask

EDIT: Wait, now I do notice when I tell him to use a furniture up there, he won't climb up completely and slides down again. Although, when I click on the pole and tell him to climb up, he does reach the upper floor. Weird. Don't know if that's suppose to be that way...?
Another EDIT: I do notice that he is training a skill when climbing. Maybe he needs to have a higher skill level to climb up without sliding down? Maybe it is just like how a sim with a low athletic skill level falls of the treadmill and sims with a higher athletic skill level don't?

@ Rattlebox
Don't want to sound like a wise guy (or girl :P) for trying to answer all questions, but didn't want you to think that nobody saw your question either actually.
Don't really know for sure, 'cause I have never seen that problem in The Sims 3. I did have similar things with The Sims 2 and other games on my old laptop though. To me it seems like your video card has a difficult time handling it. What video card do you have?

I'm using an AMD HD 7970, which should be more than powerful enough. Even when turning down graphic options, the red shading continues. I tried a few other custom world's to see if they suffered as well. I tried out Setra and Jericho. Setra suffers from the same problem, but Jericho works perfectly.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
When I switched to the Ingles family, I had a similar thing. I kept the pictures of the previous family, but I saw the plumb-bob above one of the Ingles family, so I was actually controlling her. I believe I also pressed the space bar to see if I could switch or something.
The problem with the Ingles was solved for me when I switched like this:
Barbi & Ken Dolls -> Ingles -> Buznik -> Ingles
(be sure to go directly to edit town from your household, find the household you want to switch to and choose the button "switch to this household" - don't know for sure if it is exactly called that, 'cause I play in Dutch :) )

Maybe that works for you too ;)
(or else maybe you should continue to another family and go to the Ingles again)
It still is weird that this is neccesary though... I actually found this same problem in another big world of a good builder, so it is not just a UC problem.

About the spiral staircase; if you moved it and could put it back, there should be nothing blocking it now. If your Sandy Claws can use it now, he will also be able to use it when you leave him to play with someone else. If you want to make sure, you can always visit him and try to use the staircase with your visiting sim.
You're right, this switching did work.  Sorry it took me so long to understand.  It would still be nice if it could be fixed so that this wasn't necessary, though.  As far as the spiral staircase, what I'm talking about is I'm worried that when I start up a new game, it will be messed up again.  If it's a challenge game I won't be able to edit it for a household I'm not playing, either.

Offline Odie

• Occult
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »
@ Rattlebox
Setra is a big world, which really asks a lot from my video card. I think it is harder to handle than UC.
Don't know Jericho though.
Not sure what the problem is. ??? Wish I could help you further...

@ Claymask
Glad the switching worked for you!
If you use UC for a challenge, you can always ask Metro if you're allowed to replace the spiral staircase of Sandy Claws first. If you'd pause the game and do only that before you start your challenge, maybe it should not be a problem I hope... If someone has a problem with a complete house, I noticed that they are sometimes also allowed to delete that house and place a copy back. Depends on the rules a little of course.
Else I would not worry to much about Mr Claws. If you don't play with him, he will find a way to fullfill his needs. You probably won't notice the staircase problem anyway.
(btw there can be so many things wrong in a new town, also EA's towns, you don't (want to) know about :P)

Rattlebox

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
Some images of my problems.

Offline Tealeaf

• Townie
    • Annie Takes Off
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
 @ Blackrosea and @ Odie:  Thanks so much for the reassurances.  As much we both use the computer, we felt it was an okay investment.  I was just worried that it might not be strong enough for UC.  Can't wait to get it now and see the town as it was meant to be seen (assuming I don't have some other issue, of course.  If so I'll be piping back in here!)
I'm Tealeaf, and I approve of this message.

Offline Whitewings

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
I found it necessary recently to uninstall and reinstall Sims3, including Union Cove. I had the sense to put my saves elsewhere before doing this. I moved the saves back, and they're all accessible... except the ones in Union Cove. They give the message about not being able to opened and possibly needing expansion pack data no longer present. I've install everything up to and including Showtime, and downloaded all my purchased items, venues, et. al. But I still can't get at those saves. Any suggestions on what 's wrong and how to fix it?

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »
I think you have to actually install Union Cove again. Not just open the save file.

anything