Author Topic: Sunset Valley 2020  (Read 150994 times)

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
Re: Sunset Valley 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:51 PM »
I have tried out the new hotel resort, and it's looking good. Not that it wasn't looking good before ;D. Then again, I did what I already mentioned and removed the two resort towers and the lowest basement and put some rugs into some side rooms on the parking deck level. Let's hope that works okay. Anyway, this definitely improved performance on my old computer.

Now I just have to work a little bit faster so I can finally start playing again :).

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
I had a look at these two versions of Sunset Valley, and I really liked what I saw. It's nice to have a version of SV that doesn't stray too far from its original character. Well done! I haven't really played anything yet though. Here are just a few remarks and questions that came up when I looked at the town.

-snip-

Anyway, this is all minor stuff, and I really like what I see and am looking forward to playing in this world. This looks like a labor of love  :) . Thanks!

Everything you saw/mentioned has been implemented for the release of SV2020 v2.0 (sometime in the future).  Thank you for the feedback Turjan!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:34 PM »
I have tried out the new hotel resort, and it's looking good. Not that it wasn't looking good before ;D. Then again, I did what I already mentioned and removed the two resort towers and the lowest basement and put some rugs into some side rooms on the parking deck level. Let's hope that works okay. Anyway, this definitely improved performance on my old computer.

Now I just have to work a little bit faster so I can finally start playing again :).

Glad to hear it's improved for you, it's one of my favorite lots!

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 06:22:40 AM »
Everything you saw/mentioned has been implemented for the release of SV2020 v2.0 (sometime in the future).  Thank you for the feedback Turjan!

Thanks, you are welcome.. By the way, do you have any idea why I don't see those supports of the beach lot in build mode? Do I need some mod to make them appear? I know some game objects need mods to be usable, like the railings of the Wolff Manor just above it. Is this something similar?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
J will need to correct me if I am wrong. It is my understanding that Ella's fixed SV world file is needed as that's what our SV2020 maps were built on, but also to fix routing issues and things that weren't fixed in the original SV world file.

When I went to test SV2020 with the original world file, it lagged so bad and actually crashed on me. Needless to say it was a bear.

When I put back Ella's SV world file, it ran so much more smoothly, no lag and the town seems so much more lively.

One other question: how does EllaCharmed’s Fixed World fit into what is needed in the game since it is "required"?  Thanks in advance.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »

Thanks, you are welcome.. By the way, do you have any idea why I don't see those supports of the beach lot in build mode? Do I need some mod to make them appear? I know some game objects need mods to be usable, like the railings of the Wolff Manor just above it. Is this something similar?

I think those roofs were originally built with walls, and then the walls were deleted.  It's a non-issue now, since I prefer the look without the two small roofs over the descending stairs - they've been deleted and it's much more scenic without them.  :)

One other question: how does EllaCharmed’s Fixed World fit into what is needed in the game since it is "required"?  Thanks in advance.

J will need to correct me if I am wrong. It is my understanding that Ella's fixed SV world file is needed as that's what our SV2020 maps were built on, but also to fix routing issues and things that weren't fixed in the original SV world file.

When I went to test SV2020 with the original world file, it lagged so bad and actually crashed on me. Needless to say it was a bear.

When I put back Ella's SV world file, it ran so much more smoothly, no lag and the town seems so much more lively.

That's absolutely correct.  :)  SV2020's worlds were built "on top of" EllaCharmed's fixed .world file for Sunset Valley, so both require it to run properly.  Not using the downloadable .world file we linked in the first post will result in extremely poor performance, graphical glitches, and quite possibly routing problems for sims.

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »

I think those roofs were originally built with walls, and then the walls were deleted.  It's a non-issue now, since I prefer the look without the two small roofs over the descending stairs - they've been deleted and it's much more scenic without them.  :)

I have the feeling we are talking past each other. Many roofs on that lot rest on invisible beams. I can see something that looks like round wooden beams the moment I enter build mode, but they are not there during play or in build mode. This is what the lot looks like for me:

The first building is completely floating in the air, the second one has at least edge attachment, but I think there are support beams in lod view. I think the main building is also missing several supports that are visible from far away.

That's why I asked where those beams come from.

Anyway, I will probably raze the building as it obstructs the view from Wolff Manor, but you may want to look into this. I have all EPs and SPs except Sweet Treats.

As I'm writing already, here are some pics how it looks when you load an old savegame that used the original SV world file with ellacharmed's fixed version.

Plus many more issues. If I remember correctly, routing in the Langerak (at the original place) and Bunch houses can sometimes fail, as that intersection had been redone by ellacharmed. Anyway, this is already covered in the FAQ now, and I'm only posting this as illustration.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Jaga Telesin

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »
The first building is completely floating in the air, the second one has at least edge attachment, but I think there are support beams in lod view. I think the main building is also missing several supports that are visible from far away.

That's why I asked where those beams come from.

-snip-

As I'm writing already, here are some pics how it looks when you load an old savegame that used the original SV world file with ellacharmed's fixed version.

-snip-

Anyway, this is already covered in the FAQ now, and I'm only posting this as illustration.

Yep - I added supports to the building that didn't have any (just regular interior columns that the original author omitted).  I left the extended external roofs next to the larger one though, since removing them would make it look a bit odd.  Totally up to the player that purchases that property what they want to do with it - it was mainly added as interesting filler content for a lot that otherwise (and typically) goes completely unused.  :)

Good to know what the regular SV saves look like with EllaCharmed's .world file added in after they're created.  The FAQ does mention it now, but it's good to re-iterate that switching back between them is still a good idea to play the different (old SV and new SV2020) worlds.

I do think though that once people play SV2020 (either version), the improvements will prevent them from playing old Sunset Valley, and that they won't look back to broken old worlds.  I loaded up my old Union Cove recently to export some sims for use in SV2020, and couldn't believe how much more slowly it ran compared to SV2020.

Anyhow - for people just joining the conversation - no problem with either version of Sunset Valley 2020, just with using the wrong .world file when you try to load it up.  So don't do that!  :)  Use the same .world file you created -any- save game with to load that save in the future!  SV2020 will always require EllaCharmed's fixed .world file, downloadable here or on her blog.

Offline Turjan

• Nooboo
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »
Yep - I added supports to the building that didn't have any (just regular interior columns that the original author omitted).  I left the extended external roofs next to the larger one though, since removing them would make it look a bit odd.
Yeah, I guess if I had kept the buildings, I might have just swapped the fence on the one with the extended external roofs for one of the porch ones that come with automatic supports. 

Totally up to the player that purchases that property what they want to do with it - it was mainly added as interesting filler content for a lot that otherwise (and typically) goes completely unused.  :)
Sure, we all have different needs. It's a nice looking building, and many people will enjoy it.

I do think though that once people play SV2020 (either version), the improvements will prevent them from playing old Sunset Valley, and that they won't look back to broken old worlds.  I loaded up my old Union Cove recently to export some sims for use in SV2020, and couldn't believe how much more slowly it ran compared to SV2020.
It does, and I also hope it will last a while. All games get slower the longer a world runs. I actually plan on moving the whole population of my current SV (that became totally unplayable) over and hope for the best. They are already packed up and ready to go. Which is why I'm editing a few lots in preparation, and which also explains why I care what I see out of the Wolff Manor windows  ;).

This version of SV will definitely be more interesting than the original one, and the routing fixes will hopefully prolong the time until the next move is necessary.

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 12:22:36 AM »
Mrs Flynn, I followed the links that you PM'd me.  They were very helpful, but it still did not give me the SV2020 option in the game choices of the main menu.  One thing that may be influencing the choices is that I do have a previously saved game in the Save folder (Bridgeport).  Do you think that perhaps I should remove the Sims 3 folder that I currently have in the Electronic Arts document folder and generate a new one?  Then start from scratch?  Or maybe just delete the Bridgeport saved game and see if the SV2020 shows up in the game options of the main menu?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 12:33:28 AM »
It shouldn't matter what other save files you have in your main menu. SV2020 should automatically show up if the game save file folder is installed correctly.

Though if you want to make for sure. Then go ahead and either create a new Sims 3 folder and start from scratch.

Mrs Flynn, I followed the links that you PM'd me.  They were very helpful, but it still did not give me the SV2020 option in the game choices of the main menu.  One thing that may be influencing the choices is that I do have a previously saved game in the Save folder (Bridgeport).  Do you think that perhaps I should remove the Sims 3 folder that I currently have in the Electronic Arts document folder and generate a new one?  Then start from scratch?  Or maybe just delete the Bridgeport saved game and see if the SV2020 shows up in the game options of the main menu?  Please advise.  Thanks.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
When I went to unzip the files for the Chocolate and the Vanilla, I had to "create" a folder in my saves to put the unzipped files into.

I created a folder named

SV2020_Chocolate.sim3

SV2020_Vanilla.Sims3

THEN I was able to unzip the files and place them into the folders.

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
Thanks, SDHoey.  I will try that

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 11:55:15 AM »
I think I know what the problem is.  When I downloaded the EllaCharmed/Sunset Valley app, my "stupid" computer attempted to change the Sunset Valley app to an Adobe Acrobat file.  It looks as though a few years ago, for whatever reason, the computer converted Sunset Valley from a .WORLD file to an Adobe Acrobat pdf file.  And I believe that may be affecting the SV2020 Vanilla and Chocolate files as well.  I am going to look and see if somehow I can convert the Sunset Valley files from Adobe Acrobat to .WORLD files.

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:03 PM »
well, I gave up.  I uninstalled all of the Sims 3 and expansions and am reinstalling in the hopes that that will do it.  If this doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to wait until I need a new computer....lol

anything