Author Topic: The SimTech Dynasty Challenge  (Read 75275 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: The SimTech Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
So, in No Tech era you've bulldozed everything in your world of choice, (allowed ones), right?  Nothing there, barren ground and you have two Sims trying to survive.  Let's say they make it and have an heir or two and are ready to move on to LoTech.  Can you stay where you are and just add builds to your devastated world and can this be an ongoing thing from era to era until you know have a basically recreated world or must you move to another world or lot?  (Obviously a builder talking here because the opportunities are terrific!)

Added:  Am I right in assuming your original family and pretty much all subsequent ones up to a point, will die?  So you are working with heirs, right?  You said they can pick up food left on picnic tables but if everything is bulldozed doesn't that mean picnic tables will be gone?  Since they can't travel where would this come from?
Seasons:  can we opt for no thunderstorms, blizzards or......?  Can we choose which Season we start in?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2018, 04:48:32 AM »
I see some real difficulties with maxing out at least two of the 7 skills in No Tech.  First is the comedy one.  You have to tell jokes to 5 Sims.  If you are to ignore all Sims until you are looking for a spouse this can't be accomplished.  Second is the fishing skill.  You have to fish in different places, again, if you can't travel this can't be done.  What am I missing?

----------
My No Buy Story

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2018, 06:26:49 AM »
I see some real difficulties with maxing out at least two of the 7 skills in No Tech.  First is the comedy one.  You have to tell jokes to 5 Sims.  If you are to ignore all Sims until you are looking for a spouse this can't be accomplished.  Second is the fishing skill.  You have to fish in different places, again, if you can't travel this can't be done.  What am I missing?

Those are both for the aspirations rather than for leveling the skill, and you only need to level skills in No Tech.

When you come to the aspirations in Low Tech they aren't a problem, though. Fishing in 3 different places just means finding 3 different fishing signs to click on in the same area, you don't need to move to another area as long as you make sure you have those in advance.

For any aspirations that need other sims, you can use your own family for a lot of them. You can't do that for aspirations like Friend of the World or the romantic ones, but the rules say you can speak to other sims while looking for a mate. I had one sim do Serial Romantic followed by Soulmate, and she didn't pick her mate/get married until the appropriate point for Soulmate. Once she had done that, she stopped talking to other sims again. Same for another with Friend of the World.

[they/them pronouns please]

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2018, 06:39:49 AM »
Thanks for stepping in and helping, @callycat. @Joria - nice to see you. :)

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
Hi, I had a quick question about pets: could we consider allowing them earlier, at least in the Low Tech Era? Cats 'domesticated' themselves around the time of agriculture while dogs have been with us since the stone age. Maybe with some restrictions, like can't breed them or adopt them through the phone until the Mid Tech times? I just kinda want to do a 'boy and his dog' kinda theme. Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
@Joria, You don't have to move at the start of each era if you want to stay on the same lot. The rules simply say that you are allowed to do that.

@dontmindme, we did want to introduce pets earlier, but there's a problem if they get sick. The Mid Tech era is actually too early for the vet equipment, but we figure that people can fix wellness treats without introducing too many anachronisms.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
Ah, I didn't think about that, thanks for responding. Could we befriend strays?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
@Metropolis Man:  Thanks for the welcome.  I had just decided to bite the bullet and try another no-buy-IDC when I saw this and was smitten!  What a fun challenge!
@calleycat:  Thank you for the help.  I actually had mispoke.  I was/am focused at the moment on the No Tech, not the Low Tech and did not see it was for aspirations.  Also, you cleared up another question I had inadvertently!  I had thought one pair, (spouses) and one heir but can see I will need a much larger family!
@MarianT:  Can you, assuming you stayed in original lot, start to rebuild the town starting with Low Tech?  Of course staying within the parameters, 8x8 fortified, etc. and moving up with eras?  Any restrictions on Seasons?  Rain, storms, blizzards etc.?  Thanks for all this!  Lots of fun and sorry about so many questions.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
@dontmindme, yes, your Sims can befriend strays once they leave the No tech era.

@Joria, I thought we required blizzards and thunderstorms to be turned on, but apparently not. I think your Sims do have to be affected by the weather, though. And yes, you can start rebuilding in the Low Tech era.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »
I thought we required blizzards and thunderstorms to be turned on, but apparently not. I think your Sims do have to be affected by the weather, though. And yes, you can start rebuilding in the Low Tech era.

Ack, mine have been turned off so far.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
@MarianT:  Can we have a garbage can if not one on the curb?  2. Are the items listed the only items we can have that are comparable to the era?  For instance, there is a stone ottoman and coffee table if you are going that route or a lump of clay for your neanderthal to play with.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »
@MarianT:  Can we have a garbage can if not one on the curb?  2. Are the items listed the only items we can have that are comparable to the era?  For instance, there is a stone ottoman and coffee table if you are going that route or a lump of clay for your neanderthal to play with.

I forgot about the lump of clay, but that's perfect for the No Tech era. Sure the other stone furniture is fine, too.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2018, 04:45:58 AM »
When you said "You may not change aspirations" did you mean you can not farm for points or just not change the original aspiration for each player as they finish?  For instance, one player may have the Body Builder Aspiration but needs to max fishing, can this player put up Fishing for a temporary Aspiration?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »
So I haven't had my Sims be affected by the weather - there wasn't any mention of those settings but it seems they should be? Does this mean I have to restart as mine have been off so far?

It does have downsides having them turned off. I had a lot of stinky sims who couldn't shower in the rain, for example! That was tough.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »
When you said "You may not change aspirations" did you mean you can not farm for points or just not change the original aspiration for each player as they finish?  For instance, one player may have the Body Builder Aspiration but needs to max fishing, can this player put up Fishing for a temporary Aspiration?

A Sim with one aspiration can still max an unrelated skill. Once your Sims finish an aspiration, they're free to take a new aspiration.

@callycat, don't start over, but do turn on your weather.