Author Topic: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge  (Read 643354 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2011, 05:14:52 AM »
Question: If I Sim from a previous household dies, can you get their grave from the graveyard if they get a medium of large tombstone?

The Sim has to be living with you when he/she dies in order to use the tombstone for the moving requirements.  I'm pretty sure.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2011, 05:20:13 AM »
I'm only making an inference here, I'm not sure myself.

9. Heirs must acquire a short, rounded tombstone or the larger obelisk resulting from the natural death of a household member. The ground plaque does not qualify (the smallest size). Tombstones must be placed on the lot before moving. 

By the wording, I'd assume that you need to obtain it from a sim living (or not so much anymore) in the household at the time of death. For instance, if Billy Bob visits and dies at your house, it would not count, even if Billy Bob is the heir's uncle.
Again, I'm only inferencing from the wording of the rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »
I'm only making an inference here, I'm not sure myself.

By the wording, I'd assume that you need to obtain it from a sim living (or not so much anymore) in the household at the time of death. For instance, if Billy Bob visits and dies at your house, it would not count, even if Billy Bob is the heir's uncle.
Again, I'm only inferencing from the wording of the rules.

Right, I agree.  When it says "death of a household member" it has to be a member of the household, which means he/she has to be living in the house.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #558 on: September 16, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »
Seabody and Pam are both correct in the interpretation of the tombstone rule. It's a moving requirement for an heir in whatever house they're currently in, so it would not work to allow tombstones from previous household members.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #559 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
Thanks guys! Hopefully I can work around that...

EDIT: I think this has been asked but I'm not entirely sure. Can you accept the free vacation opportunity?
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #560 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
After completing the requirements, does the heir move into a townie house by marrying someone living there? Is that the only way it can be done?  As a test, I tried to move someone but only empty houses and lots showed up. 

Also, do they keep all the households' money?  And how do the 10 items get left behind?

???
Cynthia

Sportsfan

« Reply #561 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »
The ten items get left behind by leaving them at your old house while moving.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #562 on: September 20, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »
After completing the requirements, does the heir move into a townie house by marrying someone living there? Is that the only way it can be done?
Yes, marrying a townie is THE way to switch house in this challenge.

Different ways to move in Live mode:
1. "move" on the cell phone or computer: can only pick up empty lots or uninhabited (empty) houses. Not good here.

2. the friendly interaction "ask to move in": the member of your active household who is asking, and the other Sim receiving the proposal will both have to be part of your currently active household. I think that other members can be shifted between the 2 houses. So, if the heir is asking, he can't move out.

3. "get married": the newlyweds can choose in which house they want to live.

There might be some tricky ways to move the heir without getting married, but I haven't tested any.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #563 on: September 20, 2011, 05:24:44 AM »
After completing the requirements, does the heir move into a townie house by marrying someone living there? Is that the only way it can be done?  As a test, I tried to move someone but only empty houses and lots showed up. 

Also, do they keep all the households' money?  And how do the 10 items get left behind?

Marrying a townie isn't the only way to move for this challenge, but it is by far the best and easiest way.  Anything else would require a lot of crazy manipulation of the game to make it happen within the rules.  So, I strongly recommend that you do it through marriage.

No, you don't keep the household's money.  You'll take over the money for the new household.  As for the 10 items, just have them placed on the lot you're leaving and that's enough for it to count.

@BellaClo:

I think it's probably a typo, but it might cause confusion.  In your #1, you say "inhabited (empty) houses."  An inhabited house is not empty.  Maybe you meant to say "uninhabited" instead?

@VampirePlasma:

They are not stupid questions, so please hush up about that.  Your questions are just as good as everyone else's and they need to be asked.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:44 AM »
Thanks Pam, that was indeed a typo. A pretty confusing one!
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
No, you don't keep the household's money.  You'll take over the money for the new household. 
Really? Whenever I move someone out, if I choose them to be the active household, I automatically get however much I had in the previous house. Is that not so if you move out via marriage?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:19 AM »
Really? Whenever I move someone out, if I choose them to be the active household, I automatically get however much I had in the previous house. Is that not so if you move out via marriage?

Under what circumstances are you moving them out that you get to keep all the money?  I don't see why the money would come with you because the rest of the household is staying behind.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If someone can test this, I'd appreciate it.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2011, 03:44:00 AM »
I also could be wrong. When I move via phone or computer, and check the "make this my active household" button, I get to keep all the money. I've never done it via marriage, so it might be different.
EDIT: I just attempted it. I opened an older file with a single girl, I tried for Chris, but he wasn't home and I didn't feel like going all over town searching, so I settled for Cyclone. I did all the romantic things, and proposed. She had $1,127,570 when she proposed to him. I did the private wedding, moved her into his house and since she was the only one in there, it automatically made the Roomies the active household. Hit Accept, the thing came up asking if this was my new house, I said yes. After the processing, they had $1,146,425, plus I could control all the Roomies!!
EDIT 2: However: For the fun of it, and because I know in this challenge there will be more than 1 person in the house, I chose Blair and took her to see Xander. I did the exact same thing as above, she had $1,146,425 when she proposed, but after I moved them into the Clavell house and chose it as my active household, they only had $10,639. So I guess they don't keep the money!  :( That's sad, in my opinion.

LegendaryPlunder

« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
I am going to give this a try even though my game is notoriously buggy and I'm sure my save file is gonna 'splode at some point leaving me in tears.  I've tidied up my Sims install best I can, removed any nefarious mod type thingies and started myself out in Hidden Springs with the Song family.  :D  They're great.  I already like them she's a Crook and he's a Doctor.  I'll post some images if I manage to get through the moving requirements for the first heir.

In an earlier post Pam stated:

The rules don't say they have to be friends at the time of moving, only that they have to visit your home with the status of friend.  I'd say that once they are friends and visit your home, check it off on the spreadsheet and you're done with that particular NPC.

But in the rules it does actually state "At moving time"
2. The household must have 10 different NPC friends (all must have different jobs) at moving time—Maid, Repair Technician, Repoman, Baby Sitter, Adoption Service/Child Protection Worker, Pizza Delivery, Butler, Bartender, Bouncer, Pianist, Burglar, Police, Firefighter, Grim Reaper, Newspaper Delivery, Mail Delivery, Science Geek, Magician, Ghost, Tourist, Explorer, Paparazzi, Tattoo Artist, male/female dancers.
3. The household must have 10 different Best Friends at moving time. There can be overlap with other households’ Best Friends and the NPC requirement can serve double duty here if any are also Best Friends.

My concern was that one of the parents would die (providing a tombstone) before I had all my moving requirements set (causing the household to lose friendship status with the people that parent was friends with) and so I was trying to figure out if I was going to have to extend the life of Jewel Song to make sure that the friendships would be preserved until moving time.  If I can check it off after Jewel has made best friends with someone then that makes it much easier but I'm not sure if that fits with the rules.

The other complication I thought of was if you befriended the paperboy/girl and then that person was no longer the paperboy/girl at moving time, do they still count as an NPC friend?

Another question I had was, can you befriend someone and then later have them move in?  DO they still count as a best friend then?  My family is already best friends with the Vanderburg's and I was thinking that it might be useful to move one of those old people into my house.  Renauld Vanderburg's lifetime wish is for 20 friends which should be easy to meet and he's already got a charisma skill of 9 (I cheated and read up on him online, but that's not against the rules!)  It doesn't hurt that he's a wealthy sim and probably already has a TON of friends.  In my game he's also a 5 star celebrity which will bring paparazzi flocking to the house for another NPC friend/contact.

Of course I don't know that best friendships with the Vanderburgs will count since they will most certainly be dead by the time my heir is ready to move so I don't know that it's even worth worrying about maintaining that friendship.

Also, Mixologists are not listed under possible NPC friends, I would assume they count, and ghosts are just any of the premade ghosts from the public graveyard?

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
Hi Legend. This is a very fun challenge and I wish you a bug-free future.

I remember Pam saying that earlier, but it does now have to be upon moving. You can't check them off the list when your heir is still a teenager or something. It has to be when your heir moves as an adult. In your case, if Jewel is going to be providing you a tombstone, you probably should not bother trying to make friends for her and use a different household member.

The paperboy/girl thing is correct. I say if you plan on counting one as your NPC, don't befriend them until just before moving. However, in my DeceDynasty, I make a note to ask the NPC's their jobs so that way you can see their job in the relationship panel later. There was a paperboy who stayed a paperboy through his teenage stage.

The only rule on moving in is that you can't move someone out and then move them back in later. So yes, you could move Renauld in and count all his friends as friends of the household, so long as they are alive and best friends when your heir moves.

Mixologists aren't listed... but I used one for my requirement in my first generation! I'm assuming they're alright and they're just not on the list, because they are NPCs.

As far as ghosts go, I think you'd be okay to be friends with any ghost, even one of your tombstone providers. Metro might think otherwise though, but I don't see that in the rules anywhere.

anything