Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 240585 times)

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
I know this doesn't seem like an issue but I almost wasn't able to complete my dynasty because my generation 6 painter never got any opps.  He was supermaxed in painting and maxed in photography by the time he became a YA.  Nothing ever popped for him regarding those skills.  I had 4 painting opps in the 7 weeks it took him to reach the point where I could do ambrosia.  Four!  I think maxing a skill that you want to be used may be a bad idea when they are teenagers.  I think opps trigger off the learning of the skill and I always seem to get more opps for skills that didn't get really started until the YA stage.

Just a thought.   
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
I think it's a great idea to get some "servants", e.g people who have high skills in cooking (ambrosia), gardening (Life Fruit), fishing (Deathfish), painting, sculpting or photography. There are actually some great people in Monte Vista for this sort of thing (I could name your several Sims who have nearly maxed gardening or cooking skills or both!) In Sunset Valley there is Agnes, who can already paint portraits when you move her in, Claire Ursine (high fishing), etc.
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »
I know this doesn't seem like an issue but I almost wasn't able to complete my dynasty because my generation 6 painter never got any opps.  He was supermaxed in painting and maxed in photography by the time he became a YA.  Nothing ever popped for him regarding those skills.  I had 4 painting opps in the 7 weeks it took him to reach the point where I could do ambrosia.  Four!  I think maxing a skill that you want to be used may be a bad idea when they are teenagers.  I think opps trigger off the learning of the skill and I always seem to get more opps for skills that didn't get really started until the YA stage.

Just a thought.

Can skill ops only start at YA? I think there are fewer opps for Handiness and Painting than pretty much any other skill, so I'm saving all the child/teen opps for those skills!
I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
Can skill ops only start at YA? I think there are fewer opps for Handiness and Painting than pretty much any other skill, so I'm saving all the child/teen opps for those skills!

There are no opportunities given before YA that are for specific skills.  They are all random ones for school or special events.

Edit:  I just did some counting and there are between 10 and 14 opportunities for every skill in the game as far as I can tell.  So there are none that really have that many fewer.  I think it just depends on the game triggering them.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »
Get a Witch. I don't plan on Maxing Handiness, so I've had her magically upgrade all the appliances. She can do things like Unbreakable despite a low Handiness skill. Plus the Conversion Ritual can throw up valuable fish - I actually got a Deathfish once. Plus there's a bit of a bug. If your Sim converts an object into a fish in a bowl, remove the fish. You can then convert the bowl as an item and the fish as an item.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
Get a Witch. I don't plan on Maxing Handiness, so I've had her magically upgrade all the appliances. She can do things like Unbreakable despite a low Handiness skill. Plus the Conversion Ritual can throw up valuable fish - I actually got a Deathfish once. Plus there's a bit of a bug. If your Sim converts an object into a fish in a bowl, remove the fish. You can then convert the bowl as an item and the fish as an item.

I tried that trick of converting the fishbowl last night, and it wouldn't work. You can sell the fishbowl and just convert the fish though.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:34 AM »
I've been able to convert the fishing bowl a lot but the trick is to do it on a surface.  Were you doing it on the ground?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
I've been able to convert the fishing bowl a lot but the trick is to do it on a surface.  Were you doing it on the ground?

A couple days ago I never noticed the option to do it - on a tiny end table - but last night I was playing with a witch and I noticed the option and the fish bowls were still on that tiny end table.

On another note, can you make large versions of the cuts in the gem machine, if so how many uncut stones does it take, and how do you unlock more than the emerald, oval, heart-shape. plumbob, and pear cuts? Or is it even possible?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »
A couple days ago I never noticed the option to do it - on a tiny end table - but last night I was playing with a witch and I noticed the option and the fish bowls were still on that tiny end table.

On another note, can you make large versions of the cuts in the gem machine, if so how many uncut stones does it take, and how do you unlock more than the emerald, oval, heart-shape. plumbob, and pear cuts? Or is it even possible?

Large versions only come from transfiguration and it takes at least 8.  For unlocking the cuts, it just happens as you cut them.  The more you cut, the more you unlock.

Offline mumbiki

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
A couple of questions...

One, can Alchemy be used as a Supermax?  (Totally bummed I don't have SN, but in case EA gets their act together and fixes glitches WITHOUT having to buy another game I may consider buying it). 

Two, Is Mixology hard to Supermax?

--Proud Mom of a United States Soldier!
--My first girl nooboo due 4/16/13!!

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2012, 01:41:43 PM »
Alchemy is perfectly acceptable as a supermax, and it's not particularly hard to either. There's only one alchemy opportunity, though, and I'd recommend either getting an unrelated job or doing another skill alongside alchemy.

I've never tried my hand at mixology, and it seems to be pretty uncommon as a supermax, though it's definitely possible to.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
A couple of questions...

One, can Alchemy be used as a Supermax?  (Totally bummed I don't have SN, but in case EA gets their act together and fixes glitches WITHOUT having to buy another game I may consider buying it). 

Two, Is Mixology hard to Supermax?

Yes - there are no restrictions on supermaxes.  Just restrictions on certain items - read the rules for more information.

Not if you have access to all the different drink types.  I know at least two people on the HOF who have done it - Pam's Bubblegum Dreamweaver & Juxtaposition's Bebedora De D'Onlyn.    For some information that might help you, I suggest reading Sims Wiki - Mixology to see where if you buy certain lots and place a bar, you don't have to place all the bars from Late Night into other towns.

Offline mumbiki

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
Thank you both! :)

--Proud Mom of a United States Soldier!
--My first girl nooboo due 4/16/13!!

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
So in my sixth attempt, I had a sim complete the Ice Personality challenge in record time. The big difference was that I used the unskilled Sinbad Rotter, and he somehow got the challenge done in 12 days (Harwood always took exactly two weeks).

That's the last time I use someone who knows what they're doing! Thank you, Sinbad.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
I was just reminded of my favorite fishing trick. Build a pond on your home lot. Stock it with alley catfish, angelfish, and deathfish (you can put deathfish in aquariums to speed up the process if getting ten is taking a while). Fresh deathfish on demand, without having to worry about the last three deathfish in the fridge being used for dim sum - also useful for completing the fishing career and the Lots Of Fresh Fish opportunity for big bucks. And when you're slogging out the fish count for supermaxing fishing, they might as well be valuable fish.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms