Author Topic: The Kindle Random Town Jump  (Read 40288 times)

Offline Beks

• Immortal
Re: The Kindle Random Town Jump
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
Nile, stop being a creep! Let the newlyweds enjoy their moment!
I'm so happy you took my suggestion! I hope Caspian and Francine can repair their relationship soon.
Gladys is such an adorable sim. She just seems so happy.

I'm happy that I took your suggestion too! Thank you again for suggesting it :) I don't really know what I was thinking, moving everyone out of the household except the heir and his spouse and parents. Caspian and Francine are just too much fun.

"unflirty" ah...a lot of people might hate sims who are slobs or mean but that one is my dealbreaker. Caspian is a brave man for even moving back in.

Yeah, it's becoming one of my least favorite traits as well. It doesn't even really add to their personality all that much––it just makes moving relationships along really difficult (sometimes impossible).

I enjoy playing Evil Sims and Unflirty Sims more than Social Butterflies. I never realized just how much attention they MUST have. If her husband is not constantly showering her with it, she gets an 8 hour 'I'm Invisible' moodlet and attention after that doesn't make it go away. On the flip side, when he does compliment her, she gets a 'Duh, of course I'm beautiful' moodlet which really irritates me. Be very, very, careful with a Social Butterfly who's a Diva, Dramatic, a Snob, and a Party Animal! But at least she likes to Flirt!

I don't have the EP that comes with the Social Butterfly trait, so I've never experienced it, but it sounds fascinating! Those two opposing moodlets are absolutely hilarious (though I can definitely see why they'd be annoying in-game).

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
Chapter 32 – Ah, Well

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

A very pregnant Gladys is pretty much dying of boredom (aside from spending a full day at the spa), so she decides to take up a new hobby—fishing. The desert is the perfect locale for exploring this skill, because of, you know, all the water.

Corrie is still Leader of the Free World, but the “Free World” now consists of dozens of Lucky Palms residents she has never met before. In an effort to get to know some of them, she takes her bass downtown and starts jamming away outside the grocery store. The abandoned, silent, tumbleweeds-rolling-by grocery store.

Sensing his wife’s lack of audience as if by magic, Ash joins her a few hours later and adds to the music with some expert-level guitar playing. People start to show up after that. Or maybe because it’s not 6 a.m. anymore. (That’s a pregnant Karie dancing away over there. Ash and Corrie have two grandboos on the way!)

Back home, Caspian is working on his logic skill in preparation for the higher levels of the criminal career. Francine is trying to help him out by acting as a worthy opponent. I suspect she’s also trying to heal their relationship through the healing balm of ruthless competition.

Later that afternoon, after arriving home from the luscious desert pond or whatever, Gladys is hit hard with the labor pains. A baby Kindle is en route to Lucky Palms!

Nile doesn’t realize what’s going on at first.

“Oh, hi, darling—what are you doing? Ooh, are we playing charades?!”

“Ohhh, I see. You’re having a baby, and I’m panicking.”

Some time later, after much heavy breathing, Gladys makes the “oh-god-here-it-comes” face…

…and delivers a boy named Canyon into the world. Welcome, Canyon! (So much for all those watermelons Gladys ate...but y'know, it's fine.)

Gladys must immediately contend with the pressures of motherhood. Canyon arrives in this world with a smelly diaper. The first of many. It's going to be okay, Gladys. Just breathe. Or...maybe don't.

The rest of the family is pretty excited about the new baby. Ash immediately starts bragging about his grandchildren to anyone who will listen—in this case, his other son.

“Look how cute this baby is, Caspian! You could have a baby just as cute, you know!”

To my surprise, Caspian actually stops his father mid-sentence and basically tells him he’s not interested.

“I’m not having kids anytime soon, Dad. Cool it.”

With Francine, though…it’s a different story. With a new baby nephew to cuddle and coo at, she’s feeling pretty left out. Her husband has rejected her attempts to try for a baby with him and isn’t even showing much interest in her at the moment. (There IS evidence that Caspian wants a baby, though! He popped a wish to steal candy from one the other day! That’s something, right?!) I’m convinced that their relationship will mend itself over time, but Francine doesn’t know that. She’s feeling desperate.

She’s heard a strange rumor from some people at the theatre where she works. People keep whispering about a well down by City Hall. A magical wishing well, to be precise.

Without telling anyone else in the family, Francine visits the Wishing Well and pulls a coin out of her pocket. She contemplates it for a while. Maybe the Well would help her overcome the tensions with her husband and bring them a child.

It’s worth a shot, right?

Francine flings her coin gleefully into the still, dark waters. She asks the Well for a child. It is her greatest wish (aside from being rich…oh, wait, maybe we should’ve done that instead), and she has high hopes that the Well will grant her what she’s always wanted.

The allotted amount of time passes. And nothing happens.

Her hopes dashed, Francine begrudgingly reaches into the Well’s depths, trying to get her coin back (and maybe swipe some others in the process). Francine, I don’t know if this is a good idea, since the Well could probably—

“Whoop!”

—swallow you if it wanted to…

*gurgle gurgle*

Oh, Francine…I’m so embarrassed for you.

Thank goodness the Well doesn’t actually swallow her alive. Horrified and ashamed of herself, Francine looks around frantically to make sure nobody saw that. (Ahem. I saw that.)

In reality, she’s much more angry than ashamed. Curse the Well for refusing to grant her wish! Her pure, wholesome, unselfish wish! Or maybe the Well understands the true situation, and knows that having a child will not magically fix Francine’s relationship with Caspian. Either way, it looks like Francine is going to have to do the work of repairing her relationship on her own.

(Full disclosure: Francine wishes for a child many, many times, and not once does the Well grant her wish. I even send her back in the middle of the night after she manages to swipe a lucky coin from the Well, to see if that will help; nope. Then I do some research and some playtesting in another file, and I discover that the Well does not give you a child born of your own genetics. It gives you a randomly generated pudding face child. Of course; I should’ve guessed. With that knowledge, I decide to give up. I’d much rather have a true Kindle baby anyway.)

Although Francine is not yet a happy parent…Nile sure is! He’s having a blast getting to know his firstborn son, even though he may or may not be able to actually see him through those foggy shades.

Next time, we’ll see Canyon grow up into an actual sim with actual features! See ya then!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
Turn off "balanced" baby gender in StoryProgression's settings if you want to decide it yourself next time! I don't trust any EA mechanism that gives me a new person unless I have full Edit in CAS privileges.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
Chapter 33 – A Deep Gorge

Canyon is a well-loved little baby, especially by his grandpa.

Nile and Gladys are so thrilled to have a child, they just can’t wait another second to start making another one. (Ash plays his guitar very, very loudly so as not to hear the passionate smacking noises.)

All too soon (or, in my opinion, not soon enough), it’s time for Canyon to age up to a toddler. The family gathers around with enthusiasm and…

…wait.

Not everyone has enthusiasm.

Caspian: “I hate babies. Why do we have to make so much noise for a baby?”
Francine: *makes a lot of noise for the baby*

Canyon makes it to the toddler years without any problems. He’s quite the Nile clone! Canyon is Good and Absent-Minded, and he likes Chinese music, French Toast, and the color black.

Like…he’s REALLY a Nile clone. The eye color is slightly different, but that’s about it.

Gladys starts feeling nauseous shortly after Canyon’s birthday, but every time she’s about to throw up, she just ends up screaming at the sky, making the action disappear from her queue. It could be because Caspian is hogging the bathroom, though.

“I NEED to throw up, but Caspian is taking a BUBBLE bath for the MILLIONTH TIME today, so I CAN’T!”

I mean, the bubble baths are kind of merited. Caspian HAS been working out like crazy, trying to work his way up quickly in the criminal career.

Speaking of working out, someone in this family has somehow acquired a baseball (I think I have vague memories of Justin and Blaise playing catch back in the day…), and catch has become a favorite pastime of certain family members. It’s giving Francine an easy way to bond with her family, which is sweet.

Gladys has discovered the Wishing Well (perhaps her sister-in-law confided in her, but there’s no way to know) and is using it to catch some extra-special fish that she really shouldn’t be catching at level 3 of the skill. Hey, fine with me!

I didn’t even realize this previously, but Ash and Nile have one of the highest relationships in the household. They’re always attacking each other with pillows and chatting in between skilling sessions.

They’re having one of many heart-to-hearts (I mean, they even autonomously hug after this) when Gladys discovers that she’s pregnant again.

The first person she tells is Francine. Francine is as supportive as a sister should be, but you can tell she’s feeling sad underneath. Gladys is going to have TWO babies now, and Francine hasn’t even had one yet!

Francine does a good job of hiding her sadness around Gladys, which is very kind of her. She’s excited to be an aunt for a second time, whatever the case. (As a side note, what is happening with Nile's ankle in the background??)

Over the last few days, Gladys and Francine have actually become really good friends, which makes me really happy. They’re adorable together, cracking dirty jokes and goofing around.

But what about the star of the show, our new toddler? Let’s check in with Canyon and see how he’s doing.

Ash is teaching his grandson how to talk.

Nile helps with this, too. He has to teach his son how to Speak Madness, even if Canyon doesn’t turn out Insane himself. (You never know.)

Aunt Francine, coming home late from the theatre one night, finds Canyon hammering away at the xylophone and steps in to give him a hand.

She’s also the first to start teaching Canyon to walk.

And when the rest of the family is asleep, Canyon makes good use of his time and learns the ins and outs of the peg box, accompanied by the spiky desert plants protruding through the nursery wall.

With her son well taken care of at home, Gladys attends a party that she’s invited to at the Claremonts’. There, her big belly attracts many curious party guests and makes her some friends. (It's about time––I feel like nobody in this family knows anybody in town yet.)

I should have said that Canyon is well taken care of except when Uncle Caspian sneaks in to steal candy from him.

Even while very pregnant, Gladys wakes up in the morning and hops right into the pool. *insert mermaid joke here*

Nile has been up all night working on his latest novel, a mystery entitled “The Well That Swallowed Francine”. His swimwear is his most productive work outfit. And his favorite outfit in general. Sometimes it seems like he never wears anything else.

And Grandpa Ash is loving his time with his grandson. He and Corrie are both at the ends of their life bars, so time is precious.

Next time, we’ll meet baby #2. Stay tuned!

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
Great update and I love the hysterics sims show when they can't get to the bathroom to throw up! And I'm glad you explained that it's his swimwear, I was beginning to wonder if he owned any clothes!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
My insane sims are all about athletic wear but depending on what you like to see, the other options are better. :P I feel like Canyon has his mum's nose though so Gladys doesn't have to feel that bad about it.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Great update and I love the hysterics sims show when they can't get to the bathroom to throw up! And I'm glad you explained that it's his swimwear, I was beginning to wonder if he owned any clothes!

Ahahah! I'm so sorry I made you wonder that...I assure you, he has lots of clothes. It just gets really hot in the desert. 8)

My insane sims are all about athletic wear but depending on what you like to see, the other options are better. I feel like Canyon has his mum's nose though so Gladys doesn't have to feel that bad about it.

Ooh, do you really think so? I hope he does! I love Gladys's genetics and I really want some of her features to be passed on. I guess we'll see!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
Chapter 34 – Blooming Cactus, Fruitless Watermelon

One fine evening, Ash and Corrie decide to go on a dinner date. Nobody has explored the mountaintop restaurant in Lucky Palms yet, so off they go to the Blooming Cactus Bistro in Blaise’s fire truck (which has been sitting unused in Ash’s inventory until this occasion, for some reason––I guess he was feeling creative or something).

They pick a table out on the terrace and enjoy a delicious meal in the late afternoon sun. (Only Corrie would go to a fancy restaurant and order a hot dog.)

This might be the coolest lot I’ve ever seen in an EA town. Like, look at that view! It’s so gorgeous it made my game crash!

After rebooting the game, Ash and Corrie go back for round two (though to them, it’s just another round one). After eating, they each pull a book out of their inventory and spend some time reading in companioniable silence.

That’s when Corrie starts feeling unwell.

“Are those…stars coming out of the sun? Or aliens? Am I dreaming?”

Ash: “Corrie, honey, what’s wrong? Why don’t you finish reading your book? Corrie?”

“No, Corrie! Not now!”

Grim: “Well, well, well. Long time no see, Kindle family.”

It really has been a long time. This ain’t the Honeyhearts. Grim arrives to take Corrie into the next life while Ash bawls his eyes out. :(

Well, more accurately, he whacks Corrie into the next life, because she doesn’t go willingly on her own.

Goodbye, Corrie Sargeant Kindle. As the first person to marry into the Kindle family and one of my favorite sims ever, you will be well remembered and dearly missed—by your family, by your constituents, by me, and by all those men you randomly kissed out of nowhere. Rest in peace, love.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

...it’s time to meet Canyon’s little sibling!

Caspian is a little too excited for another baby to steal candy from.

Gladys: “Can you, like, NOT do that right now?”

Neither Kindle brother proves very helpful in regards to Gladys being in labor. She ends up waddling to the hospital all by herself. She’s been stuffing herself with watermelon these past three days, so naturally she gives birth to a…

…BOY???

All right. Okay. *deep breath* This is the first time in a very long time that I am actually, truly mad about the gender of a baby. I planned for a girl. I PLANNED, I tell you! Here are the reasons I wanted a girl:

(1) Because we already have a boy, and variety is the spice of life.
(2) Because our two previous heirs have been boys.
(3) Because last generation, we had nothing BUT boys.
(4) Because we’ve never actually had a female heir, if you don’t count Blaise, who was technically a founder, not an heir.
(5) Because you know those five women that start out pregnant at the start of the game in Lucky Palms? Well, FOUR OF THEM HAD BOYS. FOUR.

Okay. It’s fine. All babies are beautiful and important, right? Yes. Somehow the universe has conspired to thwart Gladys’s watermelon diet and bring us a boy instead, but it’s OKAY. He is here, he is a Kindle, and he is going to be loved, dang it!

Right, so anyway…this is Skyler, everyone.

Nile seems a bit discombobulated after the surprise gender reveal. He can’t seem to figure out how to put the bottle in the baby’s mouth. No, Nile, that's NOT where that goes.

Okay, that’s even WORSE…

Theeeere you go.

Everyone is happy after the birth of Skyler except me, but there’s still a great deal of sadness over the death of Corrie. Ash plays all his old favorites that he loved to play for his wife, and the whole family joins in the collective misery.

Gladys pays a visit to her other sister-in-law. Karie has a new baby and a new hairstyle, but she’s still the same old caring Karie.

And this is Leonard Kindle! Isn’t he the most adorable thing?! Maybe I should’ve made Rhone the heir…

It will take some time to recover from the shock of losing Corrie.

In the mean time, the artists must keep painting. Francine, so far, has only painted childlike paintings that look like they were drawn with crayons—until this gorgeous blue creation behind her, which she completes just after Corrie’s death. I think it’s a beautiful tribute to Corrie. As such, it goes on the dining room wall and stays there.

karlissa

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
I've enjoyed the writing of this I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
You may want to look into the settings of Nraas Story Progression as I believe it can override the effects of apples and watermelons.

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
I've enjoyed the writing of this I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
You may want to look into the settings of Nraas Story Progression as I believe it can override the effects of apples and watermelons.

Thank you so much, karlissa! I'm thrilled that you're reading and enjoying :)

Thanks for the tip about Story Progression. (And thanks to Trip, who I believe mentioned something similar the other day as well.) I'll check out the settings the next time I open the game.

New chapter coming momentarily!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
Chapter 35 – The Lucky Coin Pays Off At Last

Francine is heartbroken, along with everyone else, over the death of her mother-in-law Corrie, but she’s also heartbroken for another reason: the fact that she and Caspian have not had a child yet. Their relationship is improving slowly, but while Francine has been putting in a lot of effort, Caspian remains somewhat distant and distracted with his work.

Well, until now.

“Hey babe. Are you crying in here?”

“I was, but…uh, Caspian, why are YOU crying?”

Caspian: *sniffle* “I just miss my mom so much! I gave Nile a jump-scare just now and it reminded me of how scared Mom would get…”

Francine: “There, there, you big lug…”

Francine: “So you really miss your mom, huh? That's sweet. Moms are pretty wonderful…”

Caspian: “I know they are. Losing mine has made me realize that. Which is why I’ve been wanting to ask you…would you maybe want to have a baby sometime?”

Francine, speechless with happiness, responds with an enthusiastic kiss—their first in quite a while.

And then she leaps into Caspian’s arms…and makes this face.

“Oh, CASPIAN! I don’t CARE if you only want a baby so you can steal candy from it, your desire to be a father is so incredibly HOT!”

All right, you two, get it out of your systems. (Fun fact: Just as these two climb into bed together, they BOTH roll a wish to have their first child. They are on the same page at last!)

Caspian has decided he wants to be a father. So, naturally, his next move is to practice by scaring his nephew over and over again.

He also works even harder at his job and his athletic skill, preparing for the rigors of caring for an infant and never getting enough sleep. He maxes out his athletic skill during one of his late-night treadmill-on-the-roof sessions.

The rest of the family is doing well. Did you know that Ash has the Family-Oriented trait? You probably did, but I managed to forget for most of Canyon’s toddlerhood. Once I remember, Ash’s only task is to teach Canyon how to walk and talk. Luckily, he doesn’t seem to mind.

He’s rewarded with a visit from Corrie one night. They don’t have much time together, but just the look on Ash’s face is enough to show that it's worth it. :)

Francine attacks her Lifetime Wish with renewed vigor. She aims to be a Master of the Arts, and she’s still in the lower levels of both painting and guitar. She bravely goes out into town to play for tips, even though there is NEVER ANYBODY ANYWHERE IN THIS TOWN AT ANY TIME EVER.

Nile continues to write all day, every day, for the most part. He’s the one to discover that Lucky Palms has one of the biggest, most extravagant libraries in all the EA worlds—minus the computers, which are just as outdated as those lampshades.

While she’s out and about, Francine discovers that her attempt with Caspian was successful. At long last, she is pregnant!

With two little boys growing fast and a day or two left of maternity leave, Gladys is put on spouse-hunting duty. Her first stop around town is the Lancaster house, the home of the ONLY GIRL born to the five pregnant townies at the start of the game. This is Leah Lancaster, and…okay, she’s pretty darn cute. This might not be too difficult after all.

When her maternity leave ends, Gladys eagerly runs out the door for her first day in the business career. Seriously, she never got a chance to go even once. Sorry, Gladys.

That same day turns out to be little Skyler’s toddler birthday! For some reason I decide to put the birthday cake on the corner counter, so all we get to see as audience members is a bunch of Kindle butts. Sorry, everyone.

Ash puts his grandson down waaaaay over here, and the sparkles hit.

Here’s Skyler! And I think I’m officially okay with the fact that he’s a boy. Because he is CUTE. Skyler inherits the Good trait from his mother and the Slob trait from…Blaise? Been a while since we had one of those in the family! His favorite things are French music, Falafel, and the color Blue.

Skyler inherited a lot of his cuteness from his mother. I’m so thrilled.

Nile is proving to be a most enthusiastic dad. Look how cute these two are! *flails uncontrollably*

Canyon and Skyler have exactly one full day together as toddlers, and they make good use of it, babbling senselessly over the blocks table before I remember that it’s pointless because Skyler doesn’t know how to talk yet. :)

Next chapter, it’ll be Canyon’s turn to age up. We’ll also get to meet another new baby Kindle!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
Skyler has those Crumplebottom eyes, I'm... :')

The option I'm talking about is under Pregnancy options and it's "Newborn Gender". It's set to "Balanced" by default but somehow it always means "just boys lol". Random makes it random and able to be influenced by fruit again.

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
The option I'm talking about is under Pregnancy options and it's "Newborn Gender". It's set to "Balanced" by default but somehow it always means "just boys lol". Random makes it random and able to be influenced by fruit again.

Thanks Trip! I've been wondering how that works with NRaas and fruit. I get both genders in my games and I've always left it on balanced. In fact, 3 out of 4 of my current Farmacy's children have been girls. But I'm going to set it to random and see if fruit makes a difference again.

Canyon and Skye are both sweet, even if they are boys! And I can't wait to see Francine and Caspian's baby, especially when he/she ages to toddler!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2019, 08:28:46 PM »
Skyler has those Crumplebottom eyes, I'm... :')

I knoooow! I love those eyes too. I think they're partially Clavell eyes as well. I didn't realize how much Gladys looks like her father until I looked up a picture of him on the wiki. She's got lots of Agnes and lots of Xander in her, both of which she passed on to Skyler. :)

And thank you so much for the tip about Pregnancy options! I'm definitely going to switch that to Random when I open the game next. Thank you thank you!

Offline Beks

• Immortal
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Canyon and Skye are both sweet, even if they are boys! And I can't wait to see Francine and Caspian's baby, especially when he/she ages to toddler!

Yes, they are. :) That's the thing about sims...I always end up adoring them, even if they don't turn out the way I planned or hoped. That's half the fun of this game. You'll see the baby in the next chapter and the toddler in the chapter after that!

anything