Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 439994 times)

Offline Wild Child

• NPC
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4950 on: June 20, 2015, 02:23:54 AM »
Hello again, everyone. I was formerly known around here as the sweetest pea. After a long break, my sister and I have picked Sims 3 back up and we are going to start playing again (and maybe Sims 4 too), so I figured I would come back around. :) I hope everyone has been well in my absence and I'm looking forward to coming back to the community.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #4951 on: June 20, 2015, 02:35:38 AM »
Welcome back, Wild Child and Kylen. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4952 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
Glad to have you back, Wild Child!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #4953 on: June 21, 2015, 04:39:25 AM »
Hi everyone.  I am Christina.  I am a 32 year old stay at home mom for a fabulous 9 year old son and a beautiful 7 year old girl.  I have been a member for awhile, and I have always felt kind of unwelcome.  When I found this site, I was so thoroughly impressed on the content and challenges, I was immediately a fan.  So, I was devastated when the first contact I had with moderators was immediately correcting me on accidently calling a dynasty a legacy.  I am sure it was polite correcting, but it is really hard to distinguish tone or meaning in text.  It was really bothersome to me, because I wasn't even aware of there being a difference.  Anyway, I am not sure if it is just me being paranoid, or something else, but I thought maybe one of the reasons for feeling unwelcome is because I never formally introduced myself.  So, I love the sims, and I love strategy.  I am very aware that I am not the best strategist, and I don't think I stand a chance to win a tournament.  I still have fun doing the challenges when I am in to playing the sims, and always trying my best to put the best score up that I can.  So, thanks for the site, I really love it.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4954 on: June 21, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »
Welcome, Christina!

I'm sorry you've felt unwelcome. If it's any consolation, most of us have been scolded at least once while posting here. And you're more likely to hear from moderators when you make a mistake -- we're kind of like traffic cops. But we also try to be helpful.

I'm glad you're enjoying the challenges. I've been doing them for several years now, and I've never made it into the top 5 on one. But it's the kind of competition where winning really doesn't matter.

Keep posting! Marian

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #4955 on: June 21, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
Hi!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've been playing the Sims for about a year and a half and have found this forum to be unbelievably helpful when I faced a problem and really fun once I got into reading stories.

I'm a stay-at-home Mom to two darling tiny girls, and mostly play Sims during their naps.

I really enjoy playing Dynasties and reading Dynasty stories. I had eight (!) failed Sims 3 immortal dynasty attempts under my belt when Sims 4 came out for Mac. I really enjoy Sims 4 and once I started playing it I never looked back. I'm hoping to start a new dynasty at some point, but for now I'm just reading the stories of other and gaining insight from all of your experiences.

I decided to come out of the woodwork because I do have a non-dynasty story that I'd like to share, and I think this would be the best place to do it. I've loved getting to know all of you through your posts, and look forward to taking a more participatory role in the forum.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4956 on: June 21, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Welcome, Francesca! I'll look forward to reading your story. By the way, I've failed at 4 Immortal Dynasty attempts so you're not alone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #4957 on: June 22, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »
@christinal3106 I too am sorry you've felt unwelcome.  Welcome to the forum, Christina!

You're right about tones not being obvious from messages written online.  People can write a message with the best intentions, and the receiver can still be unsure of how to interpret the tone.  I've been on both ends of this.  On the giving end, hoping that the person receiving the message won't be offended, but still wanting to get the message across, and on the receiving end, which can be embarrassing.  I don't think that the moderator that was on the giving end here was upset, or meant anything personal with the message.  I also notice that you've done very well in challenges, even winning one and earning second place in another.  I'm glad that you can still have fun with the challenges even when you don't win.  I enjoy the challenges too.  Even if I don't win, afterwards I like learning about strategies that other players used.

Offline vladimirgothik

• NPC
« Reply #4958 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »
Hello every one ! I 'm Mona, a french girl from Lyon, south of France and beautiful city !! I'm in love with the Sims 3 and 4, so if you want to discuss with me about it, let's go ! see u guys

Offline Lostgirl73

• NPC
« Reply #4959 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
Hi,

I am new to the forum as of today!  I have been using Carla guide for a few weeks and I decided I want to get more out of the game than just playing solo!

SO... HI EVERYONE!!!!

XXX

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #4960 on: June 22, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Vladimirgothik and Lostgirl73.

I'm going to merge this topic with the "introduce yourself" thread.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #4961 on: June 22, 2015, 08:20:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words @ClayMask and @MarianT .  Also, welcome to the new members.

Offline CodeRed

• NPC
« Reply #4962 on: June 23, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »
Hello everyone!
I first found this place a couple months back and started reading some stories and legacies here. This forum seems like a fun place so I decided to join!
I suppose I should say a little about myself as well...
My name is Marissa, I'm 27 and live in Estonia (teeny country in Europe). I love cats, but I can never have pets in Sims because I can't handle them dying of old age. (Am I the only one, by the way?)
Also I have been playing since the days of Sims 2, when I first got a good enough computer. I think Sims 3 is my favorite out of all of the games, I just love the open worlds.
I have been meaning to do a proper legacy in Sims 4 though since it first came out, but I can never manage to get past the first couple generations, I would love to start one and post it here to actually have motivation to complete all 10 generations.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post and for any grammar errors, English is not my first language.
I'm glad to be here! :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4963 on: June 23, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
Welcome, Marissa! We're glad to have you. I look forward to reading your legacy.

Online Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4964 on: June 23, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Hi @CodeRed , I too can't cope with pets dying of old age and after once, have never played with pets and had aging on again in TS3. With TS4 I've forced myself to play with aging on and have recently been attempting dynasties and legacies, but if pets ever make an appearance in TS4 aging will go straight back to being off!  Welcome to the forum.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline CodeRed

• NPC
« Reply #4965 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
Thank you MarianT and Playalot!
I love the families I have in both Sims 3 and 4, I play with aging set to long unless it's for a challenge, I do love seeing the families grow and evolve, but even having my sims pass makes me a bit sad to be honest.

Offline Jase~

• Occult
  • Legacy Player
    • Jase's Sims
« Reply #4966 on: July 17, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi there... ( again :) )
Since it's been such a long time since I last commented here, it just didn't feel right to begin posting again without at least reintroducing myself again. I'm a longtime simmer and have enjoyed the Sims Series since the original game was released way too long ago. Currently, I've been quite busy building away in the TS4 and trying my best to fill up an empty Newcrest.

You can read it here on the forums.

Online Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4967 on: July 28, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
Welcome Jase~ I'm still trying to fill up Newcrest too but I keep getting distracted by playing the new sims I create to put in my new houses!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline dragon red

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4968 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi there, new to the forum. Very nice site and the guides are most useful. I've been playing sims 2 and all its expansion packs, I skipped sims 3 totally couldn't seem to get into it. I gave Sims 4 a try and, I'm not going to lie, I am still a bit on the fence about it.

What I like

I like the gameplay settings and the ability to have short, normal or long lifespans. This is very good. I am used to the Sims 2 style of gameplay where you play an active household, and only they age and progress. So to have sims 4 do this as well is wonderful. Means I can go from house to house and play as I like. Big fan of that feature.

I also like the create a sim features very easy to use and can be quick given you can just click and pull.

I am getting used to the build and buy modes, getting there. But I can say I am ok with them.

I also like how there are multiple options and you can unlock things in buy mode. Often with the handy skill, you can upgrade your stuff which makes buying a better one somewhat moot. If your sim is that way inclined.

I like the animations even though some of them need work. My sim sometimes sits down before he then stands up again and then clears the table for instance.

I like the reaction from some sims towards aliens, seems a bit more realistic than previous games "oh look, and alien. That's nice."

I also like that the GUI isn't cluttered with stuff like it was in Sims 2. You had a rather large control panel in front of you. So the less is more approach is better here.

things I don't like

The neighbourhood. That is the real big one for me, or, not that big as the case is. The neighbourhoods are tiny. I was expecting a Sims 2 type neighbourhood scale which were massive and fully customisable with lots and zones etc etc... The options in Sims 4 are severaly limited due to the size.

Some gameplay irks. It is very difficult to advance quickly in a career. I've dipped my toe in the water with one sim, on his own, no family, hardly any social distractions, he's on long lifespan setting, and he's already half way through his young adult stage, and I am still only on level 5 of the science career. Granted, I did have two or three bad days in work, but I really thought I'd be further along. Unless career progression is naturally slower on long lifespan? I don't know.

Relationships as I've read round here decay very quickly. Too quick given how tough they can be to advance, as you have a lot to do. I have no idea how I would manage to have a playboy sim, the one sim I play as my learning curve barely has enough time for his one girlfriend. He won't cheat on her,even though he so is the type, he just doesn't have the time!

Also eating/cooking in general, my word, this is my biggest irk. How long it takes sims to eat things. I mean does it really take somebody over an hour to eat a microwave meal in full? Seriously most people 20 to 30 minutes, tops. Sims just need to eat things quicker.

learning skills, that could do with being sped up a bit. I appreciate the correct emotional state helps but Sims 2 sims learnt things faster.

Money. Making money, in game without cheating, is tough. Simply getting up and going to a job like you did in Sims 2 doesn't cut it. You have to find ways to supplement income. Especially as career progression is so slow waiting for level 10 you will earn pittance on the way. I have put my sim to programming so he can hack for extra money I also get him as often as I can to hack his job performance. As that fits his personality best. Due to him being evil.

I'm sure there are other things that irk me in game. But on the whole I really really enjoy the game. And will stick with this one for sure as its a lot of fun. I just hope they improve the neighbourhood. In fact, what'd be really good is if they just straight ported the layout and functionality of sims 2 into this game.

Offline fivine

• Goofball
  • Townie
« Reply #4969 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
welcome!

For relationship decay i use a nice mod from modthesims (i put 50% less but you chose as you want)

they have others ones which could interest you but i don't use use them myself (time for eating, skills...)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4970 on: August 03, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the Forum. I'm glad you like my guides, and with a little exploration you're sure to find even more in-depth info here on the Forum.  8) On the neighborhoods, I think they had to scale them so that a wider range of devices could play the game. So many people play on laptops now, and Sims 3 was a beast in that configuration. I had a high-end desktop at the time with Sims 3, and it got laggy anyway. I think some of us are getting used to it, I do wish that we could load the contents of neighborhood homes to eliminate those loading screens and make a quick visit less of a hassle.

Career progression isn't tied to lifespan in any way, it's just slower this time around. It feels a bit more balanced though you can still do things like ideal emotion in order to get a percentage boost to the gains each day. It's more realistic that a Sim can't get to the top of 3-4 Careers in the span of a lifetime, and I like it that way. There are mods to boost the rate they gain performance, I think. Being able to replay and do something new is important, and I appreciate this.

I agree with you that it takes a bit long to eat, especially when alone. It makes more sense when they're with another Sim and enjoying a meal together.

Overall everything is a little bit harder to max out, as you've noticed. There are still things that can be done to speed it up, the pacing of skills and careers is just a bit slower now.

Offline dragon red

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4971 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »
Hey there, thanks for the welcome. I will definately have to look at some mods to tweak the gameplay a little bit. I do enjoy the game a lot and I think that's a good thing for me and anybody else.  :)

I definately want to speed up the work performance thing. Especially with the careers where you can actually join your sim in work. If you join your sim in work and max the bar, then you've took the time to play your sim in work, you deserve bigger progression reward in my view.

Eating quicker, definately want to mod that, sims take far too long to eat a plate of food.
Slower relationship decay, and maybe a mod to learn skills a touch faster.

As far as maxing out several careers with one sim, I can honestly say I have never done that, even on Sims 2. I pretty much just pick a career and stick to it.

Offline dragon red

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4972 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
Ok the mod the sims site really isn't working out for me... login issues. :(

Using same details I always use.

Offline RandyH

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4973 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
I have trouble with ModTheSims site as well whenever I try to use Internet Explorer. I log in but then when I go to the next page it tells me I'm a guest and can't download anything until I log in or create an account. So I log in again, lather, rinse, repeat... Works right with Firefox though. I thought it was just me.

Offline Dragonfruit

• Llama Wrangler
    • My Simblr - Dragonfruit Sims
« Reply #4974 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Hello! I'm a longtime lurker and finally made an account. I've played The Sims since the original Maxis game came out when I was a kid. I currently play TS3 and am waiting for Pets to arrive in TS4 before I make the plunge. IRL I'm a girl and love riding horses and writing, and I live on a hobby farm with my horse, donkey, sheep and a bunch of other pets. I've had a simblr blog for a few years that I tend to on and off. So great to meet you all! xx