Author Topic: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty (9.15.18)  (Read 92337 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Never Say Never 4/22/14
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
Do you have Newborn Gender set to "Balanced" in your Story Progression settings? It overrides the fruit trick.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
Do you have Newborn Gender set to "Balanced" in your Story Progression settings? It overrides the fruit trick.
Oh my gosh I think I might!
In all the games I've had Story Progression in, now that I think about it, I haven't really cared one way or another about gender and the few times I did it ended up being what I wanted anyways... but this makes a lot of sense, I'm going to go check this right now.

Edit: Ok, should I change it to Random then?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
Random should allow the fruit trick to work, yes. It might skew your town's demographics a bit, though (I had it set to Random for one game; cue everyone having baby boys).
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Goodbye Ima 4/30/14
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
Random should allow the fruit trick to work, yes. It might skew your town's demographics a bit, though (I had it set to Random for one game; cue everyone having baby boys).
Thank you! Phew! Here I was thinking my master planning was simply never going to work! You're a lifesaver Trip!

Chapter 28: Goodbye Ima
So our third generation returned from France to their regular lives of watching the fourth generation and admiring the second. Ima and Sam were so truly in love, and honestly, I don't get that vibe from Steph and Reid. They just seem too busy for each other, but it doesn't seem to matter how much time Ima and Sam spend apart, they're always rolling wishes for each other or sneaking off and shirking their duties to spend time together.
Now that they're getting older though, I let them do whatever pleases them.

Yes, Ima loves Sam, as she loves all of her children and her grandchildren. She's a truly wonderful woman.

My game started crashing recently, I got it fixed, but I did know this day was coming ahead of time, as it happened over and over (which can really break your heart, you see, especially when it's with such a woman). However, we're not to that point yet. Instead, Ima had gotten news that Rose had given birth to her second child, a boy named Cemre. She ran over to meet him.

And here's the darling Louise.

The smallness of their house upset Ima, especially since the Nix's have so much money. I let it pass for now, but I hate having to see the poor cat sleeping in the counter and the babies passing out on the floor.
I don't know if I can hold off much longer from building up their house, but for now, I'll wait. In other baby news, Olga was stuffing down watermelons, and the pregnancy settings were changed to random. Sam and Ima though, were just enjoying their last moments together.

I don't know if I've mentioned this on the forum yet, but they're the first couple to become eternally faithful to each other. Even after Ima started with a romantic interest and a "naughty" reputation... at the end of it all, she will always be eternally faithful to Sam.
It's happened this way every time. Felix had his birthday.

And Ima left us.

Sam was completely devastated. Sam was even older than Ima by a day, he never imagined he would have to live without her. Ima had lived a full and happy life. Her younger years were filled with sadness, but she found happiness. She found Sam. He had stayed by her side through all of the troubles of her life, and she loved him with all of her heart. With him she got to have three beautiful children who all grew up to have many beautiful children of their own. With him she got to grow old next to the man she loved. She was ready to go, but Sam wasn't ready for her to.

Unfortunately though, I can't grant his wish.
Everyone took the moodlet manager except for two people. Felix - who had just aged up and can't be rid of this terrible sadness, and Sam.
You know, I was going to keep putting up the rest of the chapter, but it just doesn't feel right. So here's to you, Ima.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2014, 02:34:06 AM »
Well, there go my allergies again...or something like that...

I don't know if I've commented yet or not (I tend to be a hard-core lurker for the most part) and I'm too lazy to find out, but I've been enjoying your story a lot. It's been awhile since I've played a long-term family (played in general, really), and it's hard enough knowing a sim is going to go soon. You apparently have had to not only witness her death several times over, but have an idea as to when that would happen since there seems to have been a certain sequence of events that takes place every time. :/ I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Ima.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »
Well, there go my allergies again...or something like that...

I don't know if I've commented yet or not (I tend to be a hard-core lurker for the most part) and I'm too lazy to find out, but I've been enjoying your story a lot. It's been awhile since I've played a long-term family (played in general, really), and it's hard enough knowing a sim is going to go soon. You apparently have had to not only witness her death several times over, but have an idea as to when that would happen since there seems to have been a certain sequence of events that takes place every time. :/ I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Ima.
Oh dear, if that's what they're calling it these days my allergies killed me yesterday when I wrote this!  ::)
I appreciate all of my readers - lurkers or commenters! Thank you though for deciding to comment! I didn't expect to get so attached to Ima, but as a Sim... she was just a great Sim woman. She was driven and determined, but also very family-minded too without any of the traits for it! She was a doctor, a mother, a grandmother, a friend, an adoptive Nan... she was friends with everyone. My game would always crash around the same time (and I resolved that issue, no more crashing!), but it was always after Felix would have his birthday. The first time around, he had his birthday in the morning, she grabbed a piece of cake and suddenly! Poof! I decided to wait the next time around. He didn't have his birthday until about 6 or so, and I thought Ima was in the clear, she grabbed a piece of cake and then... again! This last time I finally decided to just have her ignore the birthday party and spend time with her husband, and right after the cake was cut... she went.
She will certainly be missed, but now I have new members of the family to look after.
And I might not touch a cake for a while.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Hello Echo! 5/2/14
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »
Chapter 29: Hello Echo!
So, now that the serious goodbyes are over, let's get back to what was going on prior. Cordell went to prom where he got a Romantic Interest named Elena, his prom was mostly boring. Felix aged up, and now I can properly show you why I thought Steph's nose was huge:

"Oh no, my nose is huge!"
Hey, you can't help it kid, your mom cursed you to have the gigantic sniffer. It should be fine though, you'll grow into it... hopefully.
"Aw, man! I'm going to be ugly, aren't I?"
Not likely. It grows on me after a while. Let's get you a makeover, ok?
"Just cover it up."
I'll do my best.

"That's a little better."
Don't feel bad, I think you look handsome.
"But you're my watcher... you have to say that."
How about a cool outfit to take your mind off of it?
Felix sniffled, "ok."

Better?
Felix nodded. It was the weekend, so I encouraged Felix to spend some time with his grandpa. Together they helped to cheer each other up, and tutor Felix to an A, which is a bonus. Felix, on a side note, also gained the Loves the Heat trait to add Perceptive and Artistic.

Steph through herself into baking, enjoying getting to fill up the little shop outdoors.

And on the other side of the house, I was summoned!
"Watcher! Yay! I'm so happy!"

Oh, why is that?
"Oh! Owwww!"

Baby time!
"There she is! Hello Echo!"

Echo, I like it.
Echo is a Light Sleeper and she Loves the Cold. Interesting that she loves the opposite season of our dear heir, but I can't wait to see their nooboo.

A few days passed, not a lot happened since a lot of the skilling is finished. Reid maxed the Into the Future instrument and is working on the Violin which skill confuses me. Cordell and Olga painted, and was soon joined by Felix.
Soon it was time though, for us to see what our darling Echo ages up to be.

What a cutie! I'm so excited for baby possibilities!
Olga is a great mom, she constantly rolls wishes for Echo.

Echo looks a little distinctive right now, but that's how her mom looked as a toddler. Let's reflect, shall we:

She's got her mom's nose and lips and hair and skin, and her dad's eye shape and color. She's such a cutie!
Anyways, it's graduation day! Again! So Olga, being the good mom she is, picked her daughter up autonomously and took her to graduation on her hip.

Outside City Hall, as usual, there were protestors. Dekit, Reia and Julius Orlando were there along with a girl you haven't met yet but you know her name, unfortunately her face is all frowny because she's protesting and I couldn't get a good look at her face.

This is Precious Sackholme-Ivy, she's the daughter of Aiden and Jaclyn Sackholme Ivy... the woman with orange skin seen here:

Anyways, once they got back they decided to throw a party! I think Sam just needed some company.
Thankfully though, a newly pregnant Rose decided to comfort her father.

Rose is a natural mother, it's really kind of sweet as I'd never expect that out of her.

Reia on the other hand has her hands full with twins. Poor dear.

Meanwhile, Eliza had a baby girl! I can't remember what her real name is though, as it happened 3 times now (with all the crashing) and I can't remember which one is actually it (I have several written down... heh).
Anyways, I'll wrap this up with my favorite painting in the nursery now, Cordell just painted it for me. It makes me happy.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2014, 04:53:01 AM »
You finished One-Sim Band on the short lifespan?!  That's amazing - although the travelling would help :)

I think I'm also guilty of lurkerish reading without commenting but I've been enjoying your story. This dynasty is a real challenge.  And RIP, Ima  :'(.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »
I think Felix is cute with that nose. He should show it off in all its glory. Echo is the loveliest, most interesting toddler that I've seen in a while. Looking happily to the future.

Offline Tiamet

• Immortal
  • I survived the Great Spooky Day Blizzard of 2012!
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
I loved the vacation pictures.  "Here's Steph doing something educational, and here's Reid and the bass."  And Reid looks a little manic while he's playing.   ;D

Gonna miss Ima.

And Echo is the most determined looking toddler ever!
..."For my schemes are as devious as yours, and my crazy as great..." Erik to Sarah and Jareth
Pika-la-Cynique, GND

I Wanna Be A Disney Princess Base Game Dynasty
Goblin King Dynasty The Backup Has Been Found!
Fellowship of the Dynasty - HOF
The Arlo Bunch Documentary

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Birthday Flames 5/16/14
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
You finished One-Sim Band on the short lifespan?!  That's amazing - although the travelling would help :)

I think I'm also guilty of lurkerish reading without commenting but I've been enjoying your story. This dynasty is a real challenge.  And RIP, Ima  :'(.
Yes, yes I did. I only spent 6 days on travel too, he would have finished it without the travel, but I did it so he could max a few other skills too. Currently he's maxed out almost all musical instruments (and is at level 6 in the Violin). He's gotten Logic, Guitar, Drums, Piano, Bass, and the Laser Rythmicon. Considering he had maxed Logic, Guitar, Drums and half of Bass before he became a full adult - I'd say that's a winner!
No worries about lurkers! I know you're still there, supporting me quietly!
I'm in love with this challenge; everything else seems boring and slow compared to this challenge.

I think Felix is cute with that nose. He should show it off in all its glory. Echo is the loveliest, most interesting toddler that I've seen in a while. Looking happily to the future.
Honestly, it only gets worse as he gets older. Echo also got her father's face shape (I've discovered that as Olga's face is very round, where as Echo's is very sharp and has a very distinct cheekbone), so I'm already seeing their children: distinct thin faces and large honkers!

I loved the vacation pictures.  "Here's Steph doing something educational, and here's Reid and the bass."  And Reid looks a little manic while he's playing.   ;D

Gonna miss Ima.

And Echo is the most determined looking toddler ever!
I think I had actually planned to joke about that. He makes some of the stupidest faces I've ever seen anyone make while playing instruments. Completely blows my mind. I already miss Ima thoroughly, and Sam is proving to be the longest lived Sim I've ever had. Most of my Sims die around 27 days (when the age bar officially maxes) and right now he's at 30 or 31 days. Echo is also a very determined looking child too!

Anyways, update time!

Chapter 30: Birthday Flames
Reid spends most of his time playing Medieval music - which I'm thrilled about. I always got my heroes the fiddle when I played the Sims Medieval.
"Hey, you're not allowed to play other games!"
Oh, says who?
"Me! And I'm sure the Reapers would agree too."
Aw, that's cute. Yeah, no. Tropico 5 is coming out in about a week. I'm bursting at the seams to play it!
"Just... don't... forget about us?"
Of course not love! I've played the Sims 3 since it came out, which was a very, very long time ago. I may take breaks but I always come back. It's just kind of an addiction that way. Though a much healthier one than others.
"Oh, thank watcher. It's been a while since you've played us..."
No, no dear. I've just got three stories now. I have to alternate my playing between the three of you, plus a few other for-fun games I'm not sharing. Honestly, the fact that I'm updating everyone once a week baffles me. Now can I get back to the update?
"Yes watcher."
Ok, so Reid was... violin-ing it up somewhere.

Steph got a wish to catch a deathfish.
However, after catching three or so I sent her home to work on the neglected garden of Ima. She was two skill points away from maxing gardening too.

Sam got a wish to spend time with his grandson.
Felix didn't wish for anything, but he did need to get an A prior to aging up the next day.
Win-win.

They then had a celebratory pillow-fight.

Olga had a wish to teach her daughter to walk, once that was accomplished, I had one important thing that needed to happen:

"Where's the baby?"

"THERE SHE IS!"
(Que: "Cut it out Diego, you're scaring him.")

You two are already adorable together. Now go get old, Felix.
But first!

"I'm going to beat you so badly at this game!"
Reid! Honestly - he's you're son, and he's half your age!

After his childhood scarring, he aged up mostly intact, only to gain the Hot-Headed trait.

"Hot-headed? I'm not hot-headed. DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BEING HOT-HEADED?!"
Erhm... No more pillow fights for you, I guess. Ouch... and the nose strikes again.

Don't worry, I've gotchya covered!

Oh, and if anyone hasn't noticed. This family somehow became ripped.

Er... that looks so strange on a teenager.
Anyways, three Sims threw up a wish to teach Felix to drive. Sam pulled out his "I'm older than all of you" trump card and won.

Once that was finished up, it was time to mess around with the rebellious nature of our not-Rebellious (trait-wise) heir.

I also finally broke down and built up a special place in the back yard for Olga and Cordell, as I want them to have big tombstones, even though it won't count.

Cordell grew up into a Young Adult, gaining the Natural Cook trait.

And ohmigosh he's handsome.

Cordell shrugs, "you always said my mom had nice genes."
Gorgeous... genes more like!
There's a spot left in the house since Ima left, and Reid had been holding on to a wish to have another child... I had debated this for a long time, thinking I would just deal with one child... well...

In a moment of weakness, we're going to have a full house again.
Anyways, it's Echo's birthday! I thought it was super-adorable that Felix took her to the cake. Felix also got a few points of Charisma from that awesome Playpen, so he now makes friends super-easily. I'm thinking my Hot-Headed, adorable Felix is going to become Leader of the Free World. Anyways, back to Echo.

And what would this house be without Chaos?

Don't mind Cordell, he had just gotten electrocuted by one of those science machines outside. He was never in any harms way. Though it did take a while for Reid to make his way to the center and extinguish the flames already.
Insurance payment: $485.
Actually required payment to replace everything: $1,230
I love how it mimics real life!

Try two:

She gains the Love to Swim trait.

And an adorable outfit she'll have for all of two days. She and Felix are best friends and will have roughly one day together as teens. I plan to start their relationship then.

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
Stop picking on the nose! I like it.  You're making me feel really guilty for encouraging Steph's marriage into the family. >:(
I'm not pedantic! I just believe in precision of language.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

Well, admittedly the nose looks a little strange on males, but there's no turning back now! It's so hard to resist making more nooboos isn't it? You resolve to have no more, but then you really want to see what would happen with the genetics and -- oops! The house is full again.  ;)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Goodbye, Sam 5/31/14
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
Stop picking on the nose! I like it.  You're making me feel really guilty for encouraging Steph's marriage into the family. >:(
I'm sorry! I don't mean to make you feel guilty! I do like it, I just like to tease that it is quite the big nose.

Well, admittedly the nose looks a little strange on males, but there's no turning back now! It's so hard to resist making more nooboos isn't it? You resolve to have no more, but then you really want to see what would happen with the genetics and -- oops! The house is full again.  ;)
It does a bit, but it's nothing I can't get used to. Honestly, I love when Sims are different, sometimes it takes me a little while to appreciate it, but I really appreciate when Sims aren't middle-slider-faced. So big-nose is better than middle-slider-nose in my opinion any day! It's so hard to resist... I mean... especially when the household opens up a little I'm like "oh! I can have MORE babies!" and then a few days later once they're out I'm like "nooo! I don't want anymore!" And then another slot will open and I'll suddenly find a reason for one of my Sims to fill the hole once again, even if I probably shouldn't. The Nix family has been full practically since Ara and to be honest, it was a little weird when it was down to just Sam, Ima, Steph and Reid for a while. It just felt too empty.

Anyways, forgive me, it's been a while since I've updated. I've missed this family a bunch.

Chapter 31: Goodbye, Sam.
The Nixs' have been all holding their breath, as Sam has lived to be the oldest Sim in all of Nix History, which isn't very much, but I suppose it still says something. He's 31 days old. His mind is still there too.

"Hrm. Now, do I fold or do I bluff? If I do that, I'll be sent directly to jail, don't pass go, and I won't be able to collect $200. Hm... Aha! Take that! King me!"
Er... Well, mostly there, right?

Cordell was working on gaining cooking skill to possibly bring us home the nice fridge.

Reid though, was still working at the violin skill as his son studied up on street art. Apparently, there's a lot to be learned about in books.

Olga was painting and Echo? She was just getting to be a child.

She loves the sand and the water, beaches in general. It's unfortunate that Dragon Valley has only a few beaches, but none are particularly paradise-like.
Steph? Well, Steph is experiencing the joys of pre-pregnancy.

"This is awful..." She muttered.
Don't make me start singing it, it's fresh in my head...
"No... not again... please, you did this the last time I threw up!"
Always look on the briiiight side of life! (Whistling sounds) Always look on the liiiiight side of life! (Whistling sounds).

Everybody now! Always look on the briiiiiight side of life! (Whistling sounds) Always look on the briiiight side of life!
"I hate you so much right now."
That's the spirit!

I finally decided to work on some long term wishes with my Sims. Cordell and Olga had been neglected in this sense, as I've only really let them paint, but their lifetime wishes require guitar and writing (respectively), so I've been slowly pushing them away from the easels (gasp) and onto other objects.

Well, I did that for Olga, Cordell is still working on painting. I'm a busy watcher, I can't do EVERYTHING at once.

Steph was out in the garden again, she isn't so much a gardener so much as she takes care of what few plants we have left. I keep getting the urge to try to push someone towards gardening, but it's really very hard to keep up with, and Steph already is pretty absent-minded when it comes to gardening. I'll come back to her and she'll be swimming and the garden will still need weeding.

"Always look on the briiiight side of life." Steph was singing under her breath.
It's such a catchy tune...
"This song will never leave my head... it's truly stuck!"
On the other side of the yard, the bus driver swerved across the yard to his ultimate perfect parking spot:

Busdriver: "Honey, I'm home!"
Felix: "Dear watcher, the lamppost! I think I'm dying!"

I peered through the family tree and saw the sad, inevitable thing: Sam was the last remaining child of Ara and Bradan. His twin, Dekit had passed away. I sent Sam to go pick up his remains, as well as the remains of someone special who shall not be named. I set up the graveyard one more time.

Let's see, all the way in the back are Bradan(MT) and Ara(LT). From left to right beyond that: Aiden Murphy-Nix and Sioban Murphy-Nix, Fatima Nix, Tessa Nix and Milton Dickson. On the furthest row: Dekit Nix, and soon to be next to him (as I got the notification) Francisca Nix. In a quite corner away from the regular graveyard, the special tombstone was placed.

Ara would've wanted it that way.

Sam had been tutoring Echo for a while now, and I noticed they stopped as I was checking to see if Steph was actually finished gardening when she had made off for the pool when I realized that Echo only had a B. Sims only autonomously stop tutoring when the child reaches an A or...

It was his time.

His life without Ima felt hollow, and he remained eternally faithful until the end.

Echo was completely heartbroken.

And Olga knew what she had to do next. Sam had asked her previously to do this on his death, so she needed to make haste.

For Sam.

The Moodlet Manager was passed around and everyone hopped in the Motive Mobile for a spin, but not before Steph finally did the maternity spin.

Olga did everything she could to cheer her baby-girl up, but it seemed futile.

She just sat at the chess table where Sam used to and taught herself how to play.

She had a big role to fulfill, but she was more determined than ever.

Edit to add: in case one wants to never have a song leave their head - Always look on the briiight side of life.

Offline cainspath

• Fluffy is my hair's first name.
  • Townie
  • Occasionally bipolar; always multipolar.
Re: In the "Nix" of Time: A Short Dynasty: Goodbye, Sam 5/31/14
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »
Sam- the one sim who smiles at Grim for coming to fetch him.

In-game bus drivers are such drunk-drivers. Oh wait, so are the others. So long as a curve and a turn-around's involved.
At the end of the day, Life should ask you, "Do you want to save changes?"

How the misc-tery continues:
I, Iridessa: 3rd [What happens at home]

Why not try a misc-stery?
Blood of the Mayfair: 32nd [Hail Rain and Sunshine]

or a Reincarnation Project:
Hawke Revival: 26th [Hale Bonding]