Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 1236885 times)

Offline Jase~

• Occult
  • Legacy Player
    • Jase's Sims
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4965 on: July 17, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi there... ( again :) )
Since it's been such a long time since I last commented here, it just didn't feel right to begin posting again without at least reintroducing myself again. I'm a longtime simmer and have enjoyed the Sims Series since the original game was released way too long ago. Currently, I've been quite busy building away in the TS4 and trying my best to fill up an empty Newcrest.

You can read it here from the beginning.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4966 on: July 28, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
Welcome Jase~ I'm still trying to fill up Newcrest too but I keep getting distracted by playing the new sims I create to put in my new houses!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline dragon red

• Nooboo
« Reply #4967 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi there, new to the forum. Very nice site and the guides are most useful. I've been playing sims 2 and all its expansion packs, I skipped sims 3 totally couldn't seem to get into it. I gave Sims 4 a try and, I'm not going to lie, I am still a bit on the fence about it.

What I like

I like the gameplay settings and the ability to have short, normal or long lifespans. This is very good. I am used to the Sims 2 style of gameplay where you play an active household, and only they age and progress. So to have sims 4 do this as well is wonderful. Means I can go from house to house and play as I like. Big fan of that feature.

I also like the create a sim features very easy to use and can be quick given you can just click and pull.

I am getting used to the build and buy modes, getting there. But I can say I am ok with them.

I also like how there are multiple options and you can unlock things in buy mode. Often with the handy skill, you can upgrade your stuff which makes buying a better one somewhat moot. If your sim is that way inclined.

I like the animations even though some of them need work. My sim sometimes sits down before he then stands up again and then clears the table for instance.

I like the reaction from some sims towards aliens, seems a bit more realistic than previous games "oh look, and alien. That's nice."

I also like that the GUI isn't cluttered with stuff like it was in Sims 2. You had a rather large control panel in front of you. So the less is more approach is better here.

things I don't like

The neighbourhood. That is the real big one for me, or, not that big as the case is. The neighbourhoods are tiny. I was expecting a Sims 2 type neighbourhood scale which were massive and fully customisable with lots and zones etc etc... The options in Sims 4 are severaly limited due to the size.

Some gameplay irks. It is very difficult to advance quickly in a career. I've dipped my toe in the water with one sim, on his own, no family, hardly any social distractions, he's on long lifespan setting, and he's already half way through his young adult stage, and I am still only on level 5 of the science career. Granted, I did have two or three bad days in work, but I really thought I'd be further along. Unless career progression is naturally slower on long lifespan? I don't know.

Relationships as I've read round here decay very quickly. Too quick given how tough they can be to advance, as you have a lot to do. I have no idea how I would manage to have a playboy sim, the one sim I play as my learning curve barely has enough time for his one girlfriend. He won't cheat on her,even though he so is the type, he just doesn't have the time!

Also eating/cooking in general, my word, this is my biggest irk. How long it takes sims to eat things. I mean does it really take somebody over an hour to eat a microwave meal in full? Seriously most people 20 to 30 minutes, tops. Sims just need to eat things quicker.

learning skills, that could do with being sped up a bit. I appreciate the correct emotional state helps but Sims 2 sims learnt things faster.

Money. Making money, in game without cheating, is tough. Simply getting up and going to a job like you did in Sims 2 doesn't cut it. You have to find ways to supplement income. Especially as career progression is so slow waiting for level 10 you will earn pittance on the way. I have put my sim to programming so he can hack for extra money I also get him as often as I can to hack his job performance. As that fits his personality best. Due to him being evil.

I'm sure there are other things that irk me in game. But on the whole I really really enjoy the game. And will stick with this one for sure as its a lot of fun. I just hope they improve the neighbourhood. In fact, what'd be really good is if they just straight ported the layout and functionality of sims 2 into this game.

Offline fivine

• Goofball
  • Townie
« Reply #4968 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
welcome!

For relationship decay i use a nice mod from modthesims (i put 50% less but you chose as you want)

they have others ones which could interest you but i don't use use them myself (time for eating, skills...)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4969 on: August 03, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the Forum. I'm glad you like my guides, and with a little exploration you're sure to find even more in-depth info here on the Forum.  8) On the neighborhoods, I think they had to scale them so that a wider range of devices could play the game. So many people play on laptops now, and Sims 3 was a beast in that configuration. I had a high-end desktop at the time with Sims 3, and it got laggy anyway. I think some of us are getting used to it, I do wish that we could load the contents of neighborhood homes to eliminate those loading screens and make a quick visit less of a hassle.

Career progression isn't tied to lifespan in any way, it's just slower this time around. It feels a bit more balanced though you can still do things like ideal emotion in order to get a percentage boost to the gains each day. It's more realistic that a Sim can't get to the top of 3-4 Careers in the span of a lifetime, and I like it that way. There are mods to boost the rate they gain performance, I think. Being able to replay and do something new is important, and I appreciate this.

I agree with you that it takes a bit long to eat, especially when alone. It makes more sense when they're with another Sim and enjoying a meal together.

Overall everything is a little bit harder to max out, as you've noticed. There are still things that can be done to speed it up, the pacing of skills and careers is just a bit slower now.

Offline dragon red

• Nooboo
« Reply #4970 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »
Hey there, thanks for the welcome. I will definately have to look at some mods to tweak the gameplay a little bit. I do enjoy the game a lot and I think that's a good thing for me and anybody else.  :)

I definately want to speed up the work performance thing. Especially with the careers where you can actually join your sim in work. If you join your sim in work and max the bar, then you've took the time to play your sim in work, you deserve bigger progression reward in my view.

Eating quicker, definately want to mod that, sims take far too long to eat a plate of food.
Slower relationship decay, and maybe a mod to learn skills a touch faster.

As far as maxing out several careers with one sim, I can honestly say I have never done that, even on Sims 2. I pretty much just pick a career and stick to it.

Offline dragon red

• Nooboo
« Reply #4971 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
Ok the mod the sims site really isn't working out for me... login issues. :(

Using same details I always use.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RandyH

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4972 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
I have trouble with ModTheSims site as well whenever I try to use Internet Explorer. I log in but then when I go to the next page it tells me I'm a guest and can't download anything until I log in or create an account. So I log in again, lather, rinse, repeat... Works right with Firefox though. I thought it was just me.

Offline Dragonfruit

• Llama Wrangler
    • My Simblr - Dragonfruit Sims
« Reply #4973 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Hello! I'm a longtime lurker and finally made an account. I've played The Sims since the original Maxis game came out when I was a kid. I currently play TS3 and am waiting for Pets to arrive in TS4 before I make the plunge. IRL I'm a girl and love riding horses and writing, and I live on a hobby farm with my horse, donkey, sheep and a bunch of other pets. I've had a simblr blog for a few years that I tend to on and off. So great to meet you all! xx

Offline dragon red

• Nooboo
« Reply #4974 on: August 04, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
I was using Chrome, but will try firefox as I have that installed too. Thanks!

Offline dragon red

• Nooboo
« Reply #4975 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:55 PM »
I never noticed this thread, but what the hey I shall contribute again.  :)

I'm a sort of stay at home mother nearly 31 years old, but I do work. I am half French, sort of... (granny is French, Grandad is German, they both speak English but they can't speak the others mother tongue).

Mother was born in Scotland and grew up there raised in a traditional French upbringing. A Scottish person speaking French IS hilarious I have to tell you when she speaks German that's funny too. And my dad is English.

I was born in England. So I am a bit of all the above minus the Scottish accent, and I can parle the francais and sprechen the deutsch too. I have an older brother and a younger sister. I am in the middle.

I have red hair and blue eyes, weird combo... I can be a little bit of a grump unfortunately, but that's only since I stopped smoking 12 years ago (Excluding the few sneaky cigarettes I have at Christmas time. ;) ) Also surprisingly for somebody of French and German descent I cannot hold my alcohol at all! I am a very cheap date.

I also suffer from Acromegaly so I have VERY large hands for a woman (and sadly a rather manly jaw and chin too), and I use a tiny laptop/tablet usually. I will try to keep my mistakes to minimum as best I can but I can mash keys all at once. But just throwing that out there so you guys know.

I love cats, and Bacon is my above all else favourite food. Its bacon's fault I am no longer a vegetarian.

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #4976 on: August 04, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »
It's more realistic that a Sim can't get to the top of 3-4 Careers in the span of a lifetime, and I like it that way.

Hi, dragon red (I like your name)
'Kicking Careers into High Gear' was the second challenge in the 2015 Tournament. Several players maxed 4 careers before their Sims turned elder.
The tournament write-ups (strategies) are nothing compared to Carl's fabulous guides.
But you can learn some interesting bits and pieces from reading these too.

Offline Cubi

• Nooboo
« Reply #4977 on: August 04, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »
Hello! I'm Cubi and I've been hiding around on this site for a while now. I've been playing Sims since the first game and I made a habit of buying every Sims 3 expansion or stuff pack that came out. I now play Sims 4 the most, although on my fiancée's laptop as mine is still broken.

I've been reading some of the stories on here, and I would like to take part in the Challenges. I've already started planning my Immortal Dynasty, although I'm pretty new to it so I'm just hoping to get as far as I can with it. I will post my story when I get to that point, and I look forward to being part of the forum.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4978 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
Hi Dragonfruit, dragon red and Cubi. Welcome to the forum.  :) 
I'll look forward to seeing your immortal dynasty on the story boards maybe Cubi?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Weezi3

• Nooboo
« Reply #4979 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:50 AM »
Hello,
I needed a place to talk about Sims related things so I joined. I'm female, and from the UK. I'm currently playing Sims 4 but I have been playing since 1. My favourite Sims game was 3, due to its open world which I found very involving. The game series as a whole is very interesting to me, due to its infinite possibilities and the potential for creativity.

I play a lot of video/computer games and my favourite genre is RPG. Aside from video games, I also like tabletop RPGs. I collect and paint miniatures.

I also like dogs and ice-cream.