Author Topic: The Power of 10 Dynasty  (Read 70320 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Power of 10 Dynasty
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
Hello, all!  Had some RL stuff drop like repeated tons of bricks, but back now.
Absolutely love the look of this new dynasty and the significance of the forum being around for a decade, so really want to join in on this madness. 
Just had a couple of questions in mind before I start into mine so I don't end up misinterpreting any rules and bringing my attempt to an early close.
  • The set up rules say "Your starting Sim has to be a YA or a pair of YAs with no children and no completed skills or careers."  Does this mean that if I start with a single YA Sim that they have to find a YA spouse, or can they bring in an adult or even elder spouse as long as the founder (and subsequent heirs, I suppose) is a YA?
  • From the same quote, if said spouse has a maxed skill or completed career does this make them ineligible for the role of dynasty spouse (and if it's a skill and I don't find out until they move in, must I immediately kick them out)?
  • On the satisfaction points line of thought, does that apply only to the founder and heirs, or does the entire household need to wait until the founder/heir hits that mark?  And if a spouse or spare can spend points before that mark, is the founder or are the heirs forbidden to use such an item?  Like, could the spouse get a potion before the 10K points and the heir could use it, or is that a no-go?
  • If I choose a YA townie founder who is already married but has no kids (therefore being a legal option), am I required to keep their spouse as dynasty spouse, or can I have them divorce and re-marry?
  • If I have an heir or the founder max a couple of skills, can I change my mind about which one is their unique skill after I move on to the next generation, or can it be changed later as long as it was maxed during their time as the actively played heir?
  • In the collections, would different types of fish or frogs count as different collections, or is the broader category (fish, frog, etc.) the collection.  On the same line of thinking, does that mean that using camp mascots means no other woodworking items can be used or wormhole generators means no other science items can be used?  And a weird thought, because I haven't already had enough of those, the rocket is a thing that you make, not unlike woodworking items, so can I build 10 rockets and leave that as the collection for a generation?
And that's about all that I think I was wondering about and didn't see as I skimmed through the questions prior to mine.
Thanks, team, for your time and effort in answering all of our inquiries and for giving us such awesome dynasties to make an already great game even better!  Proud to be part of the 10 year celebration!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
    Hello, all!  Had some RL stuff drop like repeated tons of bricks, but back now.
    Absolutely love the look of this new dynasty and the significance of the forum being around for a decade, so really want to join in on this madness. 
    Just had a couple of questions in mind before I start into mine so I don't end up misinterpreting any rules and bringing my attempt to an early close.
    • The set up rules say "Your starting Sim has to be a YA or a pair of YAs with no children and no completed skills or careers."  Does this mean that if I start with a single YA Sim that they have to find a YA spouse, or can they bring in an adult or even elder spouse as long as the founder (and subsequent heirs, I suppose) is a YA?

By starting Sims, we meant either the Sims created in CAS, or a single townie or married couple. If you start with a single YA Sim, that satisfies the requirement.
    • From the same quote, if said spouse has a maxed skill or completed career does this make them ineligible for the role of dynasty spouse (and if it's a skill and I don't find out until they move in, must I immediately kick them out)?

Your starting Sim is the one with the requirements to max a skill and complete a career, and if you start with a pair, you'll have to decide which Sim is your founder. So it doesn't matter what level the spouse is at if you marry a townie. Basically the only requirement that other members of the household can help with is assembling a collection.
    • On the satisfaction points line of thought, does that apply only to the founder and heirs, or does the entire household need to wait until the founder/heir hits that mark?  And if a spouse or spare can spend points before that mark, is the founder or are the heirs forbidden to use such an item?  Like, could the spouse get a potion before the 10K points and the heir could use it, or is that a no-go?

I'm not sure what others have decided, other than that your founder or heir has to amass 10K points before buying any rewards.
    • If I choose a YA townie founder who is already married but has no kids (therefore being a legal option), am I required to keep their spouse as dynasty spouse, or can I have them divorce and re-marry?

I don't know what others would say, buy my opinion is that if you choose to start with a married couple, they should stay married.

• If I have an heir or the founder max a couple of skills, can I change my mind about which one is their unique skill after I move on to the next generation, or can it be changed later as long as it was maxed during their time as the actively played heir?

No, your first choice of a unique skill is the one you should go with. But it need not be the first skill you max.

• In the collections, would different types of fish or frogs count as different collections, or is the broader category (fish, frog, etc.) the collection.  On the same line of thinking, does that mean that using camp mascots means no other woodworking items can be used or wormhole generators means no other science items can be used?  And a weird thought, because I haven't already had enough of those, the rocket is a thing that you make, not unlike woodworking items, so can I build 10 rockets and leave that as the collection for a generation?

No, the broader category is the one you would use. You might have only one type of frog (whirlyflower frogs, for example), but your collection would still be frogs. I don't know whether rockets are on the list of available collections.
    [/list]
    And that's about all that I think I was wondering about and didn't see as I skimmed through the questions prior to mine.
    Thanks, team, for your time and effort in answering all of our inquiries and for giving us such awesome dynasties to make an already great game even better!  Proud to be part of the 10 year celebration!

Happy to see you back and hope that real life allows you a little more time for simming in 2020!
    When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
    • Watcher
    « Reply #212 on: December 15, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
    @MarianT
    In your response to Pippin, you wrote:
    No, your first choice of a unique skill is the one you should go with. And your heirs should max their unique skills before maxing something else.

This is the first I've heard of an heir needing to max their unique skill before maxing any other skills.
    My Power of 10 Dynasty is currently in its 7th generation, but I apparently failed the challenge during Generation 2.
    All of my heirs have maxed the Logic skill (which is a shared skill) before their teen birthday.

No worries, oshizu -- I guess if you keep good track, then the first skill need not be the unique one.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
    « Reply #213 on: December 15, 2019, 06:48:34 PM »
    Thanks, Marian for the quick responses!  Really helps with some planning and likely rules out one of the founder generation options I was considering.
    As oshizu, I hadn't noticed anything in the rules about the 10th skill needing to be maxed first.  If that's the intent, maybe it should be added along with the list of requirements that it's not just max the unique skill, but max it first?  Definitely adds an additional layer to the challenge!  Does this mean that the dynasty fails if a different skill is maxed first, or is it more suggestion than rule?  Just want to make sure that I'm covering my bases...and concerned for anyone who's already playing and has maxed skills other than the unique one first!
    And thanks for the warm welcome back, Marian!  Lovely to be back around this kind and supportive community!

EDIT:  Went to post and saw that you'd already replied.  You're so on top of things!

Offline bluebelle

• Llama Wrangler
    « Reply #214 on: December 25, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
    If we start with a townie do we set up like the ten-gen dynasty where we move in an elder first?

Offline craterdweller

• Nooboo
    « Reply #215 on: December 25, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »
    This is probably a dumb question, but are items crafted from robotics eligible for collections? My generation 6 sim is maxing robotics as his unique skill.

Thanks in advance!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
    • Watcher
    « Reply #216 on: December 25, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
    If we start with a townie do we set up like the ten-gen dynasty where we move in an elder first?

Yes, that would work. Your Sim created in CAS doesn't have to be an elder, though -- just someone you don't intend to use in the challenge.

This is probably a dumb question, but are items crafted from robotics eligible for collections? My generation 6 sim is maxing robotics as his unique skill.

Thanks in advance!
    Not a dumb question, and yes, I'd say that items crafted with the robotics skill would qualify for collections in challenges. That just hasn't been added to the list yet.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline bluebelle

• Llama Wrangler
    « Reply #217 on: December 26, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »
    Thanks MarianT

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
    « Reply #218 on: December 27, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
    Yes, that would work. Your Sim created in CAS doesn't have to be an elder, though -- just someone you don't intend to use in the challenge.
    Just to clarify on this, can the CAS Sim we place (my SimSelf, in my case) count as one of the 10 good friends?  I just wasn't certain if the "you don't intend to use" was in terms of spouse material or not using at all.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
    « Reply #219 on: December 29, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
    Mild crisis mode as I type this.  I just realized (as Johnny and Candy's child never aged up from baby) that I forgot to check the box to auto-age unplayed households.  I'm maybe 1 1/2 weeks into playing with this having been unchecked the whole time.  Does this mean I've just failed the dynasty for HoF purposes?

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
    • Global Moderator
    • Watcher
    • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
    « Reply #220 on: December 29, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
    @PeregrineTook I'm going to let another team member decide how mean they want to be (because I can be very mean lol, double check you settings guys!) but at least you can seamlessly catch up to your current dynasty's point if you gotta start over? Only because Vanessa x Octavia for life. :'(
    No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
    « Reply #221 on: December 29, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »
    @PeregrineTook I'm going to let another team member decide how mean they want to be (because I can be very mean lol, double check you settings guys!) but at least you can seamlessly catch up to your current dynasty's point if you gotta start over? Only because Vanessa x Octavia for life. :'(
    Thanks for the reply and support  :=)  And yes, the silver lining is that it's only this far in rather than catching it three or four generations along  ;=)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
    • Watcher
    « Reply #222 on: December 29, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »
    Just to clarify on this, can the CAS Sim we place (my SimSelf, in my case) count as one of the 10 good friends?  I just wasn't certain if the "you don't intend to use" was in terms of spouse material or not using at all.

As far as everyone else aging up is concerned, just go ahead and click the box now. But don't age up anyone early outside the household.

I'd say that the Sim you place to start the game, shouldn't be used as one of the good friends. It's too easy to skew their traits to favor your Sim.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
    « Reply #223 on: December 29, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
    As far as everyone else aging up is concerned, just go ahead and click the box now. But don't age up anyone early outside the household.

I'd say that the Sim you place to start the game, shouldn't be used as one of the good friends. It's too easy to skew their traits to favor your Sim.
    Oh my goodness!  You mean I'm still HoF legal?!?!?  Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Offline Shmeggo

• Llama Wrangler
    « Reply #224 on: December 31, 2019, 01:08:02 PM »
    I recently started this challenge, which I’m really enjoying, and have a few questions now that I’ve been playing for a bit.

• My second generation heir aged to toddler with 8 days until becoming a child. If I’m not mistaken, there are only 7 days in the toddler stage. Would I need to age him up a day early, or may I age him up on his actual birthday? For reference, my lifespan settings are set to Normal as per the rules.
    • I read that heirs may pick up satisfaction and skill points before moving out so that they’re not starting from scratch. Does this also apply to emotional whims? For instance, can we count emotional whims competed as a toddler, child, or teen towards the unique ten?
    • Would Patchy count as a nonhuman friend?

Thank you in advance!  :)

anything