Author Topic: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge  (Read 133451 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #255 on: December 26, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
A question about switching aspirations:

Whenever an aspiration is maxed, we get a message notification in the upper right of the screen.
If an uncontrolled sim completes an aspiration outside of a free day, may we click that message notification to switch to a new aspiration?
Or do uncontrolled sims need to wait until the next free day?

You can go ahead and give them a new aspiration.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #256 on: December 26, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
Thank you, MarianT.
Now I feel ready for the children's last sim-week.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
This is probably a silly question, so sorry about that, but I figure I should probably ask since I'm so unsure.  So, during free days, we can buy rewards without penalty.  That changes the total number of points.  We don't lose the points that were gained from earning the points correct?  I only ask because the spreadsheet doesn't have a spot for it, so if the controlled Sim had 3000 satisfaction, that would net them 3 points.  But if they spent 1000 of them during the free day, it would lower their satisfaction to 2000.  They wouldn't lose 1 point, right?  Would we just manually have to keep track of points added from satisfaction?  I've been turning myself inside out with this XD

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
@Shewolf13

reggikko asked a similar question and MarianT answered as follows:

Quote from: reggikko on October 15, 2017, 08:13:35 PM
I have a question about scoring satisfaction points and money added to household funds. I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Example 1:

Starting household funds $10000. I increase funds to $40000 for 2 points. Then, I spend $5000, so it's down to $35000. My understanding is that I would need to make up the $5000 plus an additional $30000, getting to $70000, before I get the next two points. Is this correct? The same thing would apply for satisfaction points. I would need to increase the initial amount by 1000 point increments and any satisfaction points spent have to be made up. So, if I start with 1000 I only get points at 1000, 2000, 3000, etc.

You're right about the $30,000 addition, which is why you need to write down household funds as soon as you move in. But I think with satisfaction points, you can count a point any time you get 1000 points. For example, the requirements for the 3rd or 4th milestone of an aspiration will give you 1000 points. If you complete that requirement, you can count the 1000 points. And of course, you can add up the smaller whims as you go along. So if you spend 4000 points on the Never Weary reward (on a free day), you would reset the number at which you start counting.

The reasoning behind this is that your household funds are always changing, not only when you buy new furniture, but also when your Sims prepare a meal, start a painting, etc. It would be tedious to try to track all of that. But the satisfaction rewards tend to be priced in 500 or 1000 increments and can only be bought on free days, so you can reset your base number fairly easily. I hope that makes sense

Here's a link to the above exchange, Wolfie.
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=27405.msg471350#msg471350

I ended up adding a few extra cells to my spreadsheet to track my current point quantity, "points spent" (add this value) and "points used on free days" (subtract this value).
Then a formula calculates how many total eligible "Aspiration Points" I've earned, which I type into the original spreadsheet.
I tried keeping track on paper and failed miserably.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
@oshizu
Thanks for that!  I was thinking of doing that with the spreadsheet, but wanted to make sure it worked that way before I did.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2017, 01:15:36 PM »
Ok... so, I have a question. Yes, another one, sorry!  Just thought of something.  I was trying to avoid the whole issue of them getting kicked out of their own home when they threw a party, so I hired a caterer.  Come to find out, it wasn't an issue as my controlled sim could cook and did so better than the caterer.  My question is, do the party caterers count as the NPC's?  I figure it does, but thought I'd check and make sure.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Watcher
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
@oshizu If you wouldnt mind sharing with me (Sending me a PM) to your spreadsheet then i could probaly work that into the main one. Because its a good idea.

@Shewolf13 I would say they count as NPC.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
Ok... so, I have a question. Yes, another one, sorry!  Just thought of something.  I was trying to avoid the whole issue of them getting kicked out of their own home when they threw a party, so I hired a caterer.  Come to find out, it wasn't an issue as my controlled sim could cook and did so better than the caterer.  My question is, do the party caterers count as the NPC's?  I figure it does, but thought I'd check and make sure.

Yes, they count as an NPC, as do Mixologists and Entertainers.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
@LenaLJ and @MarianT

Thanks for the speedy responses.  That's what I figured on.  Realized after I did it it wasn't all the bright XD But I just went with it and ended up getting the points I needed by maxing a skill, so it all worked, just made the gold dinner party count for nothing XD

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »
Regarding points awarded for earning character traits

According to the rules:
1 point for each character trait achieved by a Sim aging up from teen to YA.
Scenario A: A future heir has their YA birthday but can't move out because 50 points haven't been earned yet. Is this the only case when this point can be earned?
Scenario B: An already-heir teen is just waiting for their YA birthday to cake up, marry, and move out. Will they earn a point for any character trait toward their first 10 points?

I'm quite fine with either scoring scenario. I just want to confirm when points for character traits can be claimed. :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
Scenario A is the only case where you can count the points from character traits. You can't start counting points until the heir gets married and moves to the new house.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
Thank you, MarianT!
This helps me figure out when a newly moved-out heir's first free day will happen.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
I'm very sorry to keep asking so many questions but I have more:

#1: Ask to Move In
When my sim asks a homeless sim to move in then learns that they have housemates, am I obliged to also move in their housemates?

#2: Club Perks
Does the -2 points for a club perk apply on a free day as well? My teen heir bought two club perks while waiting to move out (when nobody could earn any points).
Is that acceptable? Or, now that he's moved out, do I deduct the 4 points toward his first free day? (They aren't skill-boosting perks.)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »
I'm happy to announce that the winner of this year's random drawing for an Amazon gift card is Playalot! Considering the many happy hours I've spent reading about Winston's adventures in her Immortal Dynasty, I feel the gift couldn't go to a better Simmer. Thanks, everyone who has completed a dynasty, and remember, anyone who completes one next year will be eligible again.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
I may have misinterpreted the challenge rule below about scoring.
If your Sim takes the free day at 10 points and then loses a point or two the next day, you'll have to wait till you get to 20 points before taking another free day.

My household took the first free day at 10 points but someone passed out the next day, which put the household at -9 points.
I took the rule to mean that they would require an additional 20 points, so they earned a total of 30+ points for their second free day.

Have I gotten this all wrong?
Could I have taken the second free day when the household had earned 11 more points, not an additional 20 (net) points?
More importantly, have I already failed this challenge?  :'(

P.S. Congrats to Playalot for winning this year's random challenge! The lottery fates chose wisely!
Edited to add: After more thought, I really wouldn't mind restarting. :)