Author Topic: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge  (Read 134098 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
I may have misinterpreted the challenge rule below about scoring.
If your Sim takes the free day at 10 points and then loses a point or two the next day, you'll have to wait till you get to 20 points before taking another free day.

My household took the first free day at 10 points but someone passed out the next day, which put the household at -9 points.
I took the rule to mean that they would require an additional 20 points, so they earned a total of 30+ points for their second free day.

Have I gotten this all wrong?
Could I have taken the second free day when the household had earned 11 more points, not an additional 20 (net) points?
More importantly, have I already failed this challenge?  :'(

P.S. Congrats to Playalot for winning this year's random challenge! The lottery fates chose wisely!
Edited to add: After more thought, I really wouldn't mind restarting. :)

I think you misread "get to 20 points" as "get 20 points." Basically, each free day comes at each 10-point mark.

As for your earlier questions, you don't have to move in an entire household, and no points are lost on free days.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2018, 04:58:49 PM »
Thank you for responding to both my recent and my previous questions.

Because of my misunderstanding, my Gen2 heir has started his third free day at 41 points (10+21+10).
Do I restart this challenge or is there some penalty I could bear?
I don't mind failing and restarting on a first attempt, so I would like to hear your honest opinion.
(I'm thinking if you were me, you would start over...)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2018, 06:18:49 PM »
There's no reason why you have to start over. This generation would reach 50 points with only 4 free days. But if you want to, that's fine. Now that you've practiced a bit, you might do some things differently.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
If forfeiting a free day to compensate for an unintentionally skipped free day would be acceptable, I'd really love to continue with my current dynasty.
There's no guarantee that I won't slip up later on, but I really want to see how my Gen3 heir and her spouse prospects turn out.

Thank you for allowing me to play out my current game. If I continue then discover that four free days is too hard, I can always restart then. :D

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
Hello, I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question already asked.. the rules say that the heir picks a unique aspiration, which I understand, but an example was given that you could do parts of the aspiration (Ie: max painting but only do 4 masterpieces) but if we can't change an aspiration until it is completed.. doesn't that mean that the sim could never go to the easel again in the off chance they paint a masterpiece by mistake because they are unable to change? Sorry if it's an obvious answer..

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »
Hello, I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question already asked.. the rules say that the heir picks a unique aspiration, which I understand, but an example was given that you could do parts of the aspiration (Ie: max painting but only do 4 masterpieces) but if we can't change an aspiration until it is completed.. doesn't that mean that the sim could never go to the easel again in the off chance they paint a masterpiece by mistake because they are unable to change? Sorry if it's an obvious answer..

Yes, if you were trying to get the points from Painter Extraordinaire without completing the aspiration, you would have to stop painting if you were at level 10 and 4 masterpieces, especially if a previous heir had used it as a unique aspiration. But you don't have to complete any aspirations in this dynasty. It's just that you get 2 points toward your total of 50 if you do.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »
Thank you! It's what I thought, just wanted to clarify  :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
What do you do if some of your housemates die before the next heir is able to complete the paintings?  In my game, the first heir moved in with the Delgato's to marry Pierce, and his parents will be dead before the 2nd heir is able to paint them.  Do you just miss out on that museum value?  Or can the present heir paint them before they die?  Also, can a family member be painted and counted twice?  The heir asked her twin brother to move in with them.  Lastly, do portaits of the founder or heirs count in the museum value?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2018, 09:13:52 PM »
I'm okay with family members being included even if they're not still alive when the heir is due to move out. But there's no penalty if they don't get painted in time. What you need are all the current household members, even if they were painted or photographed before. And yes, the portraits of the founder and heirs are included in the museum value.

Glad to see you were able to get back on the forum!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
About your first question, christina, I'd like to share that I had my future child heir use the most expensive camera to snap a large photo of her elderly Grandpa for the museum.
I guess if she had time later as a teenager (but she won't have time), she could use that photo for a "paint by reference" portrait.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »
@MarianT  Thank you so much, I have been devastated the last few days that I haven't been able to get on here.  I was having Carl's sims 4 guide withdraws.  So thankful for whoever answered my tweets today!  Ok, so I started with Ulrike Faust.  She painted a picture of herself in a mirror and her daughter, the current heir also painted her picture.  And Ulrike has really expensive paintings too, both are worth over $8,000.  And Abigail (first heir's) twin brother can be painted and counted twice, as well? Nevermind, I missed that you answered that through my excitement.  ;D

@oshizu I didn't even think about the photographs.  So, I can have my current heir take photos of them, and then I can have my heir paint the photos, perfect!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
And yes, the portraits of the founder and heirs are included in the museum value.

Is a self-portrait by the founder or heir included in the museum value as well?
My understanding was that self-portraits weren't necessary (or optional?), so my sims (except the founder) have skipped that step so far.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
So, I have something very odd going on in my dynasty file.  It only started happening after I started switching back and forth from a tournament folder to my Ten Gen Dynasty folder.

When my sims go traveling, I'll just take a quick look, see what sims may have moved in into the various towns.  I'm finding that elders, like Katrina Caliente and Jacques Villareal (who both should be long gone) are being moved in.  Now, I know sometimes that ghosts get moved in, but this isn't showing them as ghosts, it's showing them as full, alive sims.  Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had this issue.  I know I can evict ghosts (which I need to do, since Marcus Flex is occupying a house at the moment XD), but I'm unsure how to handle live sims that shouldn't be there.  I mean, especially since they started in one house and are now in a different one XD

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
I have a couple more questions.  If we use Caleb Vatore, and the heir ends up being a vampire, do you just start with -10 points?  Also, are pets considered household members when it comes to museum paintings/photographs?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
@Shewolf13, Not sure what to suggest, other than to evict Katrina and Jacques when they die if they're still in the house. It's annoying when the game moves in an elder, but there's not much you can do about it. My guess is that this is related to the new feature they added where you could keep a ghost attached to its tombstone.

@christinal3106, Yes, both Caleb (if he's your controlled Sim) and the heir would start with -10. And certainly pets are considered household members for the purpose of paintings.

@oshizu, yes, a self-portrait counts towards museum value.

anything