Author Topic: The Ironstar Immortals: The Final Update 12/14  (Read 65865 times)

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: The Most Romantic Spot in the World (5/10)
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »
The Tickets

“If you can still get me this good food as a friend, then for sure!”

Oh, I just love this line. Baked Angel Cake is a rare one for me to get from a Bistro.
Beck is beautiful, I love her. Her lips is sexy and Samhain's adorableness change into gorgeous ;)

The Most Romantic Spot in the World

That was... something. I am speechless. Beautiful yet sad at the same times.
I love how you get those screen shots, yours always special. It's like watching a movie :)
Beautiful screenshots, beautiful scenery. Great job, Trip :)
“Sometimes the little things in life mean the most.” ― Ellen Hopkins

My Stories:
1. The Demosthenes Immortal Dynasty: Kev's Corner #08 - Thankful (31/12/13)
2. The Goode-Rotter's Life Story: Case Eleven - Signs of Love (27/12/13)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: The Most Romantic Spot in the World (5/10)
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I'm about to cry. So much emotion in that chapter. I particularly liked the analogy of the barbed wire. I know what she's talking about. Screwtape continues to amuse with his vocabulary. And oh my heavens, Samhain was born to wear that suit. My stars. That was beautiful. Don't ever let him wear his Everyday again, he needs to walk around in that. He is so beautiful. And bittersweet about poor Bethany. Wow. Like I said, it's a stew of emotions in here.

I think failure brings out my emotional side. I think the reason I keep attempting dynasties is because they're ripe for emotional contemplation.

Samhain can wear anything and still pull it off with class and sexiness. But yeah, I love his suit. I wish sims had more opportunities to wear formalwear just because I really like making my sims dress up fancy.

I felt bad for Bethany. The game aged her up before her sisters (I think she skipped her child stage), so she had to die first. :(

That was amazing. Beautiful and bittersweet all rolled into one package. Samhain and Becky are a cute couple no matter the age difference. It's nice that ol' Nick is still around to see his granddaughter wed...though sad about Bethany. :(

And since you've mentioned it already that their nooboo is adorable, I certainly can't wait to see it. :)

I just wish that Julienne could have stuck around for the wedding too. But Nick was a very devoted grandfather to his pack of grandkids, and he deserved to have a nice reward for it.

Heck, the only reason I'm updating to my point of failure is just so you guys can see generation four! She was absolutely wonderful. :)

Beautiful wedding!
Sad about his Aunt Bethany, though. :( That was a bit of a downer ending.

I absolutely love how Screwtape talks, "Offspring! Parental unit." So cute.

I'm looking forward to reading your next attempt, Trip.
And i'm sorry this one didn't work out..what an unexpected betrayal. Hah.

Yeah, there was this stretch where I got a death notice every day, and Bethany was part of that stretch. I hate losing my townies!

Screwtape is so fun to write, mostly because if I ever felt like I couldn't write natural-sounding dialogue, I could just write in a line for Screwtape and everyone would sound casual and relaxed in comparison. He was a really great sim to play.

Yeah, I jumped in my seat when I saw Sheila back in the UI! She's a sneaky one.

The Tickets

“If you can still get me this good food as a friend, then for sure!”

Oh, I just love this line. Baked Angel Cake is a rare one for me to get from a Bistro.
Beck is beautiful, I love her. Her lips is sexy and Samhain's adorableness change into gorgeous ;)

The Most Romantic Spot in the World

That was... something. I am speechless. Beautiful yet sad at the same times.
I love how you get those screen shots, yours always special. It's like watching a movie :)
Beautiful screenshots, beautiful scenery. Great job, Trip :)

I've seen it maybe once before at the Bistro. Cody was a lucky girl that night!

Beck's lips are fantastic, and easily the best thing she got from her dad. Samhain is too good for a wife with a mundane mouth.

Before I was a simmer, I actually did a lot of photography. With the game, getting good screenshots is a lot like getting good photos, but with a greater set of controls and the ability to pause. :P I don't like doing things too close-up though, which is something I think you do far better than me in.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Stone Heart (5/13)
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
In current game news: sounds odd to have news for a dynasty I stopped playing, but I decided to open up the file and age generation five up to toddler so I could save him to the bin and see what could have been.

And then, I remembered why I have a very strong love/hate relationship with a certain townie's genes. :P I'll show a picture of him once I'm done.

Although in current "Trip starting another dynasty" news, I just came up with a pretty cool premise for a new founder, after sitting around for days wondering what dynasty founder #8,097 could supermax. I hope I'll be able to pull it off.

---

As much as Screwtape wanted to be a grandfather, he was glad that Samhain and Rebecca were still trying for a nooboo by the time his elder birthday came around. If he had to live with a label that instantly marked him as old, it was best left until he was actually old.

And one afternoon not too long after his son got married, Screwtape stood in front of a cake as the guests slowly poured in. At east his daughter-in-law was on time, as well as his best employee, Edgar Greenwood.

“I express a desire that my parental unit is right about age,” he muttered as another set of sparkles took its toll. It didn't feel bad, and even if it did, it was the last time for Screwtape. His mother always told him about how much more certain life felt once she was an elder.

And he ducked out for the rest of the party.

So while Marco James and Heath enjoyed a rare moment together as a family...

...Screwtape posed for his last museum pieces.

The next day, Screwtape knew that he had to meet Vega at the park to talk about immortality. When Sheila called him with some happy news on her behalf a couple days prior, he knew that he was ready.

“A fascinating sculpture, parental unit,” he said as Vega approached him, “I believe it bears a symbolic meaning to our mission!”

“I can always count on you for that conclusion,” his mother said.

“Look, I know how hard it can be to live forever when it seems that you've made so many mistakes you'll never live down. I have, and I just want you to get them off your chest. I know things are hard in our family.”

“I see that you are expressing concern, but I am not,” said Screwtape.

“How can you not?”

“You see, parental unit Vega, I found a way to be happy with everything in my life. I have felt feelings of love for at least two people, and I have sustained little damage. I also received a phone call from Sheila this afternoon, and I knew that she found happiness.”

He remembered the life he lead. It was years since he was a confused young adult, living with two perfect women and limited to a choice of one, and the stone jaw that Screwtape faced was no match for his stone heart. He sacrificed his humor for a sense of calmness in the face of mistakes, and even the signature Ironstar worrying started to dissipate for Screwtape when he realized the joys of going with the flow. He was as cold and statuesque as the jaw itself.

But most of all, he learned that Sheila was finally happy after meeting up with Heath a couple evenings prior, which quelled the only pressing worry in his heart.

“So the lock to the basement is unlocked with combination 23-78-88, right?” he asked Vega.

“You're too good at finding these things out.”

He knew the setup just by what Vega told him beforehand; first it was the museum, and then the room with the mortal remains. Even with the stone heart blocking more than half of his emotions and conscience, he found himself very impressed with his little wall of the museum.

“What a peculiar machine,” he said, “I believe that they need to be refilled!”

“Yes, after tonight. You'd be surprised how you feel without the stuff every week,” said Vega as she approached.

As the newest immortal, Screwtape got the head of the table. The odor of deathfish filled the room even more than usual; after all, Vega was used to just one plate offending her senses.

“It might smell like Samhain's gym gear, but just remember, dad made this long ago. Just for us.”

Screwtape still remembered him. Dad, Wei, one of his parental units. Whatever he called him, the memories of the man were distant at first, but the became strikingly clear with each bite of ambrosia. His father's work seemed somewhat insignificant before he thought about ambrosia. Compared to uncle Harwood and auntie Eva giving up their lives to work in the art studio, all Wei did was take a few photos and keep his job. But he gave his family a dish that finally was the most important thing in the world for Screwtape.

“I feel deprived of his cooking. Dad's cooking. He always made french toast of high quality, but this dish might be of even better quality.”

Vega almost choked on her ambrosia. “Dad?”

“I know that he was a person of importance to you, and to I as well, parental unit.”

“You're getting there, Screw.”

That evening, Screwtape Ironstar looked towards his mother after finishing the last of his ambrosia. He was the dry one, the humorless one, the rebel, the chef, and as of that day, the second immortal.

He felt ready to take on the next big development in his life.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
I had a total 'What?' moment at the last picture. When it said Screwtape was going to take on the next challenge in his life and then showed a woman with nooboo, I thought he got Sheila pregnant! I do not know why my mind went there. Anyway, congratulations to Sheila and Heath, and to Samhain and Beck! I am eagerly anticipating the most gorgeous nooboo ever, and I hope to see a lot of Samhain in the next chapter to make up for the total lack of him in this chapter.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
I don't think I've said it yet but I'm sorry you failed. Then again, I'm looking forward to the new one you start, because it'll be awesome.

And like everyone else said Samhain is gorgeous.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »

I love Screwtape with the glasses. He looks so completely awesome as an elder. Screwtape's dry wit always makes me laugh, but I like that he finally broke down and called Wei "Dad". It's a nice tribute at an important time.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Magick Misfit (5/17)
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
I had a total 'What?' moment at the last picture. When it said Screwtape was going to take on the next challenge in his life and then showed a woman with nooboo, I thought he got Sheila pregnant! I do not know why my mind went there. Anyway, congratulations to Sheila and Heath, and to Samhain and Beck! I am eagerly anticipating the most gorgeous nooboo ever, and I hope to see a lot of Samhain in the next chapter to make up for the total lack of him in this chapter.

Nah, it's just the joys of being a grandparent that he has to go through. He loves Sheila, of course, but he has to rely on outside ladies to give him illegitimate children.

Samhain has a way of stealing the spotlight, so I had to keep him away while I focused on Screwtape!

I don't think I've said it yet but I'm sorry you failed. Then again, I'm looking forward to the new one you start, because it'll be awesome.

And like everyone else said Samhain is gorgeous.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I love Screwtape with the glasses. He looks so completely awesome as an elder. Screwtape's dry wit always makes me laugh, but I like that he finally broke down and called Wei "Dad". It's a nice tribute at an important time.

I tried putting glasses on him as a teen, but they didn't really work for him until I tried again with his elder makeover. Screwtape is just the most adorable old man ever.

Give him a few generations and he might refer to Samhain as his son!

In current Trip news: I tried starting a dynasty, but kind of messed up on getting a painter in time. And on general plans. :-\ But finals are over so I can devote some time to this! I'll succeed one of these days.

Oh, and I was throwing around an idea: should I upload my lovelies to the Swap Shop? It would be after I wrap up the story, and I'd limit myself to the main family, plus spouses and Sheila because they're the ones in my bin. Thoughts?

---

“Your grandpa's right?”

“Honey, he's never not right about these things.”

“Oh my god!”

It wasn't hard for them to make a nooboo since the two were still firmly in the honeymoon phase, but Samhain still fretted over the possibility of Beck being to old to have one. It was nothing that Dr. Nick and his decades of extended experience couldn't fix, though. Once he was faced with the proof, Samhain cheered with a wide-eyed stare.

It was a glorious and peaceful time for him, until he realized that he didn't have a job, or even specific ambitions for a job. With such a physique, he was suited for many things, such as professional sports or the military, or even life as an acrobat. However, none of those appealed to his dramatic side.

One phone call later, and Samhain was Magick Misfit.

Of course, he might have been physically perfect, but his knowledge of magic was painfully limited. He wanted to spend all of his time with Beck as they waited for their nooboo, but he instead insisted that she work out and go to the spa while he perfected his tricks.

It just made him long for Beck so much more. If they crossed paths and she had a backache, she could expect a strong massage from Samhain.

“...And you better not kick such a nice lady again, you hear me?”

One early morning, the couple walked out with a beautiful little girl wrapped in a pink blanket. She wasn't grey like Samhain, and he swore (and deeply hoped) that she looked just like Beck. They agreed on a name, and decided it was nice to return to the astronomical theme that grandma Vega suddenly dropped when she named Screwtape.

So she was named Alhena Ironstar, after a star in the constellation Gemini.

Vega tried to exercise her great-grandma rights to be the first to hold Alhena, and Screwtape and Clarissa tried to exercise their grandparent rights to be the first to hold her. Even Sheila thought that Alhena would have been her granddaughter in a perfect world, and maybe she should have been the first to hold her.

Alas, Marco James beat them to the punch. He offered almost-unlimited babysitting services; after all, he could always use more excuses to stay indoors, and he melted when Alhena tugged at his shirt collar.

Samhain wrestled Alhena out of Marco's watch when he got home from performing for tips. It was unbelievable how perfect his little girl was, but he already started to worry about the future for her. The landscape of Twinbrook was changing, and the mortals already seemed to grow restless and aware of the impact of one strange family. And all of Alhena's decisions would affect it.

Time passed on, and maybe things could change and Samhain wouldn't need to worry about Alhena any more than if they were a normal family.

But all he could think of as grandma Vega carried her to the candles was if she would look like Beck or not. He hoped so, just for an eternal reminder of his wonderful wife.

As for her great-grandma Vega, she just wanted to look at an heir and pretend that she was looking into Harwood's eyes again.

Neither of them ended the day disappointed!

Beck instantly scooped up Alhena for some tickles and snuggles. It was unbelievable how alike the two looked, and with Beck's unwavering opinion on how awesome she was, it was nice to have a daughter that looked about that wonderful.

However, Beck was not a musician; that was her dad's job when he was young, but he wasn't around to teach her anything about it. Alhena still listened to her mum's lessons...

...But it seemed that someone else was much better at communicating how to play “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” on a kid's xylophone.

Beck was much better at other lessons, such as teaching Alhena how to talk. She'd do anything just to look at her daughter's precious and inquisitive smile.

And finally, Clarissa found some brief peace with a granddaughter to care for. Even if she insulted her daughter-in-law's looks a long time ago, Clarissa had to admit that Alhena was the most beautiful granddaughter she could ask for. It made her forget about the turmoil in the Jones-Brown family.

“I don't need your stuck-up attitude just because you married an Ironstar!” Angelique was still seething with rage after Bethany's death. “I can't believe that my own sister wouldn't give me any of that. Not a nooboo or even a partner!”

“But I don't need your woes. Just accept that I just got lucky,” said Clarissa.

“And I don't need to speak with you anymore. Have fun with your freaky family.”

It turned out that Angelique was serious, as she never returned any of Clarissa's phone calls. Even with her mean nature, Clarissa sensed that time was winding down for the entire Jones-Brown family.

The feud lasted until the end, when Jenni acted as a mediator and called Clarissa one evening not too long later to pass on the news about Angelique's death. The Jones-Brown family was whittling down, with both Jenni and Clarissa feeling their age.

However, Clarissa had a son to feel proud about.

He finally got his first gig! And he perfected his card trick!

The gig started out like any other. The crowd wasn't very big; in fact, it was just Susanne and Valencia Knack.

However, it was hard to dampen Samhain's spirits when he was on stage. “Let's make this stage rumble, ladies!”

“Little Becky didn't deserve to get married!” yelled out Valencia.

“I see your enthusiasm!”

It turned out that Samhain was a natural on stage, even with his limited range of tricks and visuals. Even the proprietor greeted him with applause when he produced a flock of doves. Susanne and Valencia started to forget about the strange fate of their family and their perpetual loneliness, and the applause one eventually became an applause of three. Not bad for a beginner.

But as Samhain gathered the approval of his in-laws, there was a darker turn in his life starting.

He didn't realize it when he ended the show, but he later learned that he was the only Ironstar smiling that night.

---

And any hopes for a nooboo that looks like Samhain were crushed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2013, 12:00:01 AM »
Oh wow. The gray skin ended with Sam. Such a shame...it gives them all such a distinct look.

The swap shop would be nice. I'd love to see Samhain there, in particular. Wow is he ever cute. :P

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2013, 03:13:00 AM »
Trip you had better be writing the next update right now because that last sentence was far too cryptic and ominous. Oh hold on, I think I figured it out. Never mind.

Anyway, thank you for all the Samhain in this chapter. Whew. I definitely want you to upload him. He is magnificent. And his new career is...mmmm. Perfect. I love it.

Alhena is adorable, and I'm sure I'm not the only one already shipping her with Marco James.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Before I was a simmer, I actually did a lot of photography. With the game, getting good screenshots is a lot like getting good photos, but with a greater set of controls and the ability to pause. :P

Well, that can explain a lot of things. You're so cool, Trip! :P

---

Gah! I missed a lot of Sim stories in this forum >.<

---

Stone Heart

Haha, look at 2nd screenie. Screwtape face looks so funny! I love that screenie!
Ooooh, but Screwtape looks so cool when he reach Elderhood! It's totally unexpected! Especially with that glasses o_O

Magick Misfit

Alhena looks so adorable when she has a talking lesson!
Umm... that teeth! That was really something!
As always, I really love the screen shots! I really enjoy the scenery and the moment that you capture.
I really love Samhain! But, the last word is so sad...

---

The swap shop idea is nice, Trip. Some people may use it. But, I prefer not use yours to honor your dynasty :D !
For me The Ironstar are good in your hand and in your hand only. It's like Demosthenes that really mean a lot for me.
“Sometimes the little things in life mean the most.” ― Ellen Hopkins

My Stories:
1. The Demosthenes Immortal Dynasty: Kev's Corner #08 - Thankful (31/12/13)
2. The Goode-Rotter's Life Story: Case Eleven - Signs of Love (27/12/13)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »

Great final shot, but now I'm worried about Beck! As for the swap shop, I'd love to see Samhain, Beck, and Clarissa make an appearance there. Can't wait to see little Alhena all grown up! And yes, I'm already shipping Marco James.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Paranoid? (5/28)
« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
Oh wow. The gray skin ended with Sam. Such a shame...it gives them all such a distinct look.

The swap shop would be nice. I'd love to see Samhain there, in particular. Wow is he ever cute. :P

I'm pretty happy that it lasted three generations. Rica said somewhere that she was able to keep the red skin in her Grims for six generations because most of her spouses were generated townies without external families, and skin color "dominance" seems to be based off who has a bigger family tree. I was already risking it with Screwtape and Clarissa because Clarissa had grandparents, something Screwtape didn't. At least I could give Alhena some teeth!

Trip you had better be writing the next update right now because that last sentence was far too cryptic and ominous. Oh hold on, I think I figured it out. Never mind.

Anyway, thank you for all the Samhain in this chapter. Whew. I definitely want you to upload him. He is magnificent. And his new career is...mmmm. Perfect. I love it.

Alhena is adorable, and I'm sure I'm not the only one already shipping her with Marco James.

That just means leaving off writing to keep up the suspense. ;) Or that's how I'm going to justify the gaps between updates.

Samhain rocked those rainbow suspenders! His later magician outfits were even better.

Alhena had a way of being insanely adorable, but come on, look at her parents. I'd be more shocked if she turned out ugly.

Well, that can explain a lot of things. You're so cool, Trip! :P

---

Gah! I missed a lot of Sim stories in this forum >.<

---

Stone Heart

Haha, look at 2nd screenie. Screwtape face looks so funny! I love that screenie!
Ooooh, but Screwtape looks so cool when he reach Elderhood! It's totally unexpected! Especially with that glasses o_O

Magick Misfit

Alhena looks so adorable when she has a talking lesson!
Umm... that teeth! That was really something!
As always, I really love the screen shots! I really enjoy the scenery and the moment that you capture.
I really love Samhain! But, the last word is so sad...

---

The swap shop idea is nice, Trip. Some people may use it. But, I prefer not use yours to honor your dynasty :D !
For me The Ironstar are good in your hand and in your hand only. It's like Demosthenes that really mean a lot for me.

Welcome back!

Screwtape is the lord of funny faces. I loved him. And he's definitely an awesome old man.

Toddlers always make cute faces when they learn things! And Alhena had to have those teeth. They're the mark of having immortal blood...or something.

But uploading Samhain for public use is actually a work of charity. ;)

Great final shot, but now I'm worried about Beck! As for the swap shop, I'd love to see Samhain, Beck, and Clarissa make an appearance there. Can't wait to see little Alhena all grown up! And yes, I'm already shipping Marco James.

I had a full house at that moment; there are many more people to worry about.

Alhena grown up...is it a spoiler to say that she was possibly the most stunning sim I've ever seen born in-game after her teen birthday? I couldn't believe how well her genes worked out in the end; she had a rough patch in her childhood looks-wise that made me doubt her gorgeousness.

As for Alhena/Marco James, well, of course I ship that. That's all I'll say.

In current Trip-tastic news: My real reason for holding off on an update is that I've been slaving over finding the right plans and mindset for a new dynasty, and actually playing it too. I'm a bit of an insane perfectionist with my writing, but I keep fearing that I won't be able to reach the quality of writing I feel that I achieved with this dynasty, no matter how much perfectionism I apply. :-\

I'll get through this.

---

She was unique in that she was the first nooboo that Vega knew. Her precious grey eyes and adorable smile melted Vega's heart and sent her into an instant nooboo-frenzy, scrambling to find a husband and start a family.

That nooboo grew up into a beautiful young lady, and she grew old. She was the last of her kind, as Vega the puppetmaster didn't have to do a thing to make her come into the world.

And yet, that era came to an end when she was about to take a shower. After a life well-lived as the most privileged of her sisters, Clarissa felt the end of it.

She was all alone. Clarissa had few enemies, but everyone except for Screwtape and Samhain made efforts to stay out of her way, even in death. As for the two men that cared about her, they were both at work.

Nonetheless, Clarissa had to face the Reaper.

“Did you even hear my sisters, Grimmy? They were absolutely miserable while I had the best life I could envision. I'll tell them about it on the other side,” she said to him.

Unfortunately, no one was there to see her finally act cordially towards someone, even if it was death.

Even if her death went un-witnessed, Vega knew that she was gone by the time she woke up. Even if she avoided Clarissa in order to keep some peace in the household, Vega harbored a deep love and admiration for her. After watching Clarissa grow up, vices and all, Vega felt a single tear roll down her cheek.

Of course, she had to deliver the news to Samhain too. However, Vega's night found a way to get even worse.

She had a secret, in that she was seeing Susanne Knack on the side almost immediately after Wei's death. It felt a little tasteless, especially considering that she watched Susanne grow up and go to school alongside Screwtape, but Vega was able to justify it: Susanne had all of her mother's gorgeous features with her father's striking green eyes, and that combination was hard to resist.

Nevertheless, Susanne finally let her apprehensions about dating a widow boil over.

“I want actual love,” she said to Vega, “But all you do is talk about your old husband!”

“It's been decades. I can make this work, Susie.”

“Yeah right. It's over.”

Vega went home with a broken heart and into a household full of them.

For days, Screwtape was inconsolable over his wife's death. He had Sheila, but she finally understood the boundary that serious relationships created once she found one of her own.

He decided that a movie with one of his old friends was what he needed.

Alhena, even if she was too young to fully understand the implications of death, was still fussy without a grandmother to care for her. While Sheila kept writing, and Beck kept upgrading the household appliances and playing chess, and the two immortals wallowed in the hedonism and endless television of immortality, Samhain decided that he needed to be a little more attentive as a parent.

It seemed so cruel; how could he work when something so adorable depended on his love and care?

The look in Alhena's eyes seemed so trustful. He should have had little reason to worry about the negative impact of his absence with such a bond.

When he wasn't out performing on the streets, Samhain made sure that his precious few moments with Alhena were productive. He wasn't going to live forever talking to a near-stranger, if they got that far. A small sentence and a set of deep grey eyes were eating away at him.

It was so conflicting, sensing a storm when he needed to avert his focus towards Alhena. She was the most important thing in his life, regardless of his time allotment and mental state.

Alas, Alhena's toddlerhood was still punctuated by her dad's trips to Shang Simla, meditating and sparring in the courtyards while watchers-know-what happened back in Twinbrook. With every controlled breath and punch, he sensed the best and the worst, coming to him as a muddled vision.

As time went on, it became less muddled.

He returned to Twinbrook, forced to orchestrate some sort of birthday party for Marco James at the renovated community pool. Marco still hated parties, but there was time for him to mature. Thankfully for him, Bunny left after cheering for him to satisfy her thirst, and Screwtape was immediately sent down the road to visit a friend with an urgent need.

Samhain and Beck were there too, since there were still spars that needed to be fought to train Samhain for the tournament in China, and Alhena was brought along to amuse herself at the little play-area that was added. They wanted to be thankful for Marco's endless and free toddler-care, but something was off with the recent family relations between the Ironstars and the Drudges.

Vega still remembered the original Drudges. They were great friends of hers, and she saw the uniquely-spaced eyes of Marco, and his flattened nose tip, his chubby and wide jaw, and the defined philtrum, all from a collection of Twinbrook's natives. Samhain noticed the glimmer in his grandmother's eyes when she spoke to Marco James, and the same scheming smile that she permanently had ever since she met a Clay child that was the right age to marry her grandson.

It couldn't be what she was thinking. Samhain's mind spiraled into turmoil as he avoided another controlled blow from his wife, with thoughts about Drudges and destiny polluting the clarity that martial arts gave him.

The words whispered by Sheila at his wedding, and her slavish devotion to finding family happiness finally made sense to him. Even if he deeply cared for his auntie Sheila, her words were like poison to the dynasty. Her happiness be darned; he wouldn't take peace of mind to usher in Armageddon.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Paranoid? (5/28)
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »
Very interesting foreshadowing, knowing what happens in this dynasty. You write with foreboding, and it works very, very well.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Drudgely Dysfunction (5/31)
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
Very interesting foreshadowing, knowing what happens in this dynasty. You write with foreboding, and it works very, very well.

I almost like the fact that I failed, because it gives me a whole new way to look at my screenshots. Thanks!

---

Even with the small things that immensely bothered Samhain, he still had a career to complete so he wouldn't be the one to bring in a bitter end.

Thankfully, his grandmother was possibly rotten, but a masterful alchemist with the right recipe.

Because of her, Samhain was on fire!

Other than his worries, things were very peachy for Samhain. He was an excellent martial artist, with a profession he excelled at and a family he adored. He might have even briefly mistaken his life for normal.

The Drudge family had their own dysfunction that was close to irreparable. Sheila was getting older, nearly in her 90's by the time her Marco James graduated, and it was clear that the troubles in her family were affecting her.

At first, it seemed that she might have been going senile or blind, as she intended to surprise Marco at his graduation when he was able to see her in plain sight. However, she was still clear on other issues.

She knew that her father was very young at heart, and wasn't beneath a simple game of catch or tag. Sheila was a touch excitable, and Heath with a bit of the whimsy that his mum had throughout her life, but instead of the childish nature of the family diluting itself even further, it was apparent that it returned even harder.

Alhena liked her toybox...

...But Marco loved it far more.

“Mister, you clean up these toys before Samhain whoops your rear for it,” said Sheila, “I love you, but I'm too old for this...”

The stare in his eyes was always very blank. In fact, Marco James just wanted to ignore his mother. She always sat him down and had some very serious chats with him about finding love, and how much she wanted to live to see him committed in some way, and preferably with someone who lit him up from his nose to his toes, hopefully in the same way that Screwtape always did for Sheila.

“...And these are Alhena's toys anyways. You're the one too old for this!” Sheila continued.

“No mum, auntie Vega says I can't get married anyways!” he exclaimed.

“Just get engaged like dad and I?”

“Not worth it.”

Sheila was too much of a hopeless romantic to understand her son. She wanted to be there to see him happy, but the possibility that her Marco was too stubborn to mature and move beyond the uncertainty of toys and introvertedness, things that pained even him. She had an idea of who could save him from those woes, but that person was young and protected by an army of grey.

Heath could always make the pain go away, even for a bit.

It turned out that Sheila and Heath weren't the only Bull couple. Heath's twin sister, Kate, and Screwtape were just friends. They both made that clear to each other, but the rest of the household got a little suspicious once they got word of Screwtape's bank records; check after check was addressed to Kate for a hefty amount of simoleons each week. Vega and Samhain bit their fingernails over what shady dealings Screwtape got himself into with Kate. What sort of crazy scheme did seemingly-innocuous Screwtape get himself into?

When he told the truth, it was something far more mundane.

Soon after Clarissa's death, he started to feel lonely without someone special to share hot tubs and movies with, and to do his special activities in those settings with. Heath was particularly strong and with military connections, and Screwtape wisely didn't get between him and Sheila. He didn't want a serious encounter either; just a friend who was up for a movie (dry foreign dramas, of course) and Screwtape's ways to enjoy it. Heath's younger sister, Meghan, was Screwtape's trustworthy line cook, and she told him that her older sister was a perfect fit.

The two of them went out to a movie, and nine months later, Screwtape got word of the consequence.

The bald, grey, adorable consequence.

That was Carisa, their daughter. As tasteless as it was to almost name her after Screwtape's late wife, he knew that he had to support her, even if was just the impersonal signing of checks each week. Of course, Vega was thrilled over being a grandmother again. She always wanted more.

And from that point on, Screwtape thought hard about the consequences of putting himself where he didn't belong. It wasn't the first time.

As it turned out, Carisa wasn't as much of a worry as what went on between Sheila and Heath when they weren't looking at each other with fluttering eyelids.

“You can't just keep everything a secret,” said Heath.

“But things are just fine!”

Heath straightened out his back, the stern Brandt eyes showing their true sternness. “I'd like to hear the truth,” he muttered. Sheila sighed and prepared the story.

“It's Marco, and I think the rest of that bunch too,” she said, “They just hate Marco, and it's too bad, because I think he'd be much happier if they could work their magic and find him a soulmate. And he's just sitting there in the nursery with those stuffed rabbits talking about how much he hates marriage! He's not a happy kid, cueball, and no one can step in to help him. And I don't think I have the time to.”

“If he's anything like you, he'll find a way. It might just be a phase,” he said, “My dad said that he'd never settle down, but he ended up with three kids and a permanent home. Things can happen.”

As Sheila went home, joints aching and the wrinkles on her face still multiplying, she wanted to see it happen. She wanted to see someone make Marco James Drudge light up; his grey eyes electrified, and his heart threatening to pound out of his chest. It wasn't even family destiny dominating Sheila's mind; she couldn't stand to see her wonderful son not live up to his potential, even if his best shot at reaching that potential still had 15 or so years left to mature.

In the end, she envied the Ironstars and their perfect children, especially when it came time for Alhena's birthday. She was joyful and a natural around crowds, smiling as Marco nervously lent a couple of his fingers to Alhena for her to hold on to while he helped her blow out the candles.

He set her down, with no time to waste. It was a double celebration.

Alhena would have many more birthdays, but it was the last one for Rebecca. She knew that she would still be awesome as an old lady, but she had to make a wish to make sure that it was a little more awesome.

“I wish, I wish for a nice yellow dress!” she said.

Samhain was mortified. “You know not to say that out loud, so you don't...”

“...jinx it.”

He had a better dress waiting for her in the dresser, and some new clothes for Alhena too.

Samhain always loved his daughter, but he noticed something curious about her mouth as she stood at the mirror while Beck brushed Alhena's hair into a headband. He fell in love with Beck for many reasons, but he adored her mouth. The bow of her upper lip combined with the unique pout of her lower lip created what he thought was her best feature, and it was quite clear that Alhena had the same feature.

But as Alhena grooved out to her favorite roots music, Samhain couldn't help but notice the small wound at the bottom of her lower lip, enough for her tongue to slip through. It was actually quite disturbing.

Meanwhile, Beck and Sheila struck up a conversation in the old nursery.

“Can you believe that Samhain is worried about Ally's mouth? Honestly, I can't believe that he doesn't know about the unique gene in my family! I mean, my older brother has the same gap and he turned out just fine. And I had it as a child and I'm fab today,” said Beck.

“Isn't it nice that all you have to worry about is a little deformity on your kid? I have to spend my last days worrying if my son will ever be happy because all you and your family does is refuse to help him.”

“What are we supposed to do? It's your kid.”

Sheila started to cry a tiny bit. At 91, she spent all that time feeling powerless in her own extended family. Her only good relationship was arranged by grey hands, and as much as she loved Heath, she still wondered what would have been different if she was Screwtape's wife. She even envied Beck; as mortal as she was, she shared a bed with an Ironstar and maybe just a tiny bit of power, even if it was just commands whispered in Samhain's ear.

“I don't have enough power for that. Not even enough time at this point,” Sheila said.

“Even then, Sam said that Marco is just a disturbed young man who shouldn't even touch our family! Why even change him? He's not exactly a 10."

“So that's what he thinks, huh?” asked Sheila, “You better be glad that I don't have the time to lash out at that.”

---

I love the Clay mouth, I really do (heck, I was legitimately mad with my last attempt with the Graves because Gwen didn't get the mouth!), but I knew that it would cause some horrendous deformities for Alhena during her childhood years. She was otherwise adorable with her big eyes and cute expressions, but seeing her tongue constantly poking through her lower lip got distracting.

And that, kids, is why you must be careful when dealing with Harwood's genes.

Alhena grew out of her deformity just fine, by the way.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Drudgely Dysfunction (5/31)
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2013, 01:09:38 PM »

Yeah, the weird lip deformity is interesting. I've seen that in Bridgeport, too. Well, the family is just going to have to learn to love poor Marco James, aren't they! Maybe Alhena can help change their minds about that one. Hurrah for adorable, bald, grey consequences, haha!