Author Topic: The Ironstar Immortals: The Final Update 12/14  (Read 65678 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: The Perfectionist (6/4)
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
Yeah, the weird lip deformity is interesting. I've seen that in Bridgeport, too. Well, the family is just going to have to learn to love poor Marco James, aren't they! Maybe Alhena can help change their minds about that one. Hurrah for adorable, bald, grey consequences, haha!

I've never bred enough Bridgeport townies to see it first-hand over there, but I'll take your word for it.

At least his watcher loves him.

I noticed that my thread still gets a lot of views when I update, so many thanks to all my silent readers too. :)

---

“You don't have to say things like that,” said Beck.

Sheila sighed for the last time. “Not if it's true.”

It turned out that living in a house visited so often by death warned Sheila of all the signs of it. Her housemate looked nonchalant, possibly in denial just so she could make it right with Sheila and maybe redact all the nasty comments about her son.

The party was still active, enough to engulf half of the household or drive them far enough away to be so unaware of the happenings, but those who mattered the most to Sheila ran into the old nursery, unable to believe their ears when the eerie bass voice of the Reaper started to echo throughout the house.

He started to see the cracks in the Drudge family, but Samhain watched the scene on the verge of tears. Sheila was always a part of his life; his tutor, his artist, sometimes even someone to lean on. She was as integral to the image of the household as his own mother was.

“My oh my,” said the Reaper, “I thought I heard you say that you'd be around to see your son be happy.”

“I don't think he'll find a way at this rate, Grimmy,” said Sheila.

She continued as she shook his hand. “I'll do anything to see my Marco light up, but I've seen him at the best he'll be. Take care of the boys. All of them.”

Sheila was close to her 92nd birthday when she leaped into the urn waiting for her on the carpet. As tumultuous as things could be, there was no doubt that she died decently happy and fulfilled, even with a son who seemed anything but.

It didn't matter for Screwtape, though. He moped around the house until Samhain and Rebecca couldn't take it any more. When Samhain got a call on his phone to travel to Egypt and prove that it was the best destination for runners, he accepted and asked for an extra ticket. He'd hate to spend the rest of the mourning period out of the country and without his wife. If Sheila was already gone, time was ticking away for dear Beck as well.

“I'm pondering something,” he muttered when they arrived at the base camp, “How can an old lady look so fine?”

“I might like the flattery, but honey, we have work to do.”

They changed into their usual garments for a morning spar. “Becky-dear, what's with the hat?” asked Samhain.

“Come on, it's comfy!”

For the few hours that Samhain could bear to tear himself away from his wife, he went for a jog through the desert sands. He missed the humid Twinbrook air and how he never could tell the sweat on his arms from the dampness surrounding him, but he felt the extra spring in his run, and the long strides that propelled him fast across desert paths.

As for Beck, she found new trouble to encounter.

“And that's for calling me an old hag!”

Egypt was full of private spots for them to reunite and keep their romance ablaze. Samhain still looked at his wife in the same way he did ever since he was a child, locked onto hers with a sense of wonder. Even after the years caught up with her and started to catch up with him, he still was amazed with how he ended up with someone so perfect.

Always, always contemplating it.

However, Samhain was an Ironstar, and their most notable personality flaw still was strong within him. He couldn't meditate it away, even with Beck right in front of him.

And it turned out that she was a perfect match for the family. She was wrapped up in thoughts of Drudges and destiny and worry, perhaps as much as her husband was.

When they had a conversation hours before they had to catch their flight, it all came out.

“I can't be the only one worried about that Marco kid,” said Beck.

“I'm so glad you agree.”

For once, Beck's confidence slipped. She begged her husband for intervention. “You'll be around far longer than me. I don't want your family's mission to end either, and I'll do anything to keep him away from our daughter, but you'll keep up the work when I'm gone, right?”

“Of course, love,” said Samhain. "So you heard Sheila too?"

"Even without it, he's over 20 and he still plays with toys."

There was no denying that Marco James and Alhena were very close. He was descended from an ex-doctor and an exceptional genius, and he proved to be just the guy to keep Alhena's grades in good standing.

She was always so distracted by her new passion: inventing. It became clear that Alhena was a multi-talented child, but she poured all of her effort into a collection of widgets kept in her pocket.

Her childhood was divided almost-solely between those two activities, but she enjoyed them both. It was just another way to feel perfect and blissfully distracted. The kids in school seemed so different from her, with their normal mouths and rounded faces of one mould. The only exception seemed to be Carisa Bull, her aunt, and Carisa was often at home spoiled by three doting elders, and she hardly wanted to leave. Marco seemed so familiar by virtue of being different, and he couldn't care less where Alhena's tongue naturally fell as long as she stayed in good academic standing.

He was the only solid authority for Alhena, with Beck taking an intensive job in the military and Samhain too focused on his magic to remember it was his adult birthday until the last minute.

Alhena's habits didn't stop when her grandpa Screwtape took her on a trip to France, hoping that she could just be a kid and embrace something other than perfection. A workbench was installed in one of the bedrooms in the basement, and Alhena still slaved away, even when accidents happened. She hated them; they grated against her obsessiveness.

Screwtape acknowledged his mistakes much easier than his granddaughter did.

---

Alright, Alhena had a very boring childhood. My obsession with doing a lot of her inventing-duties as a child came back to bite me.

And even though Sheila gave the dynasty its bitter end, she's still one of my favorite mortals and it was especially hard on me because I raised her from birth to death in the household. :(
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
I love reading this Dynasty. Alhena is still beautiful to me even with the weird mouth thing. I saw that so often on children in my early Simming days I thought it was inevitable.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:53 AM »
Don't worry, Trip; I'm dreadful at not lurking, but I and many of your "silent readers" will always follow and enjoy your stories  :). Beck is gorgeous as an elder (I still swear she has the best combination of Pattina and Harwood's features) and I like how little Alhena seems to have inherited Clarissa's dress sense.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #213 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I love reading this Dynasty. Alhena is still beautiful to me even with the weird mouth thing. I saw that so often on children in my early Simming days I thought it was inevitable.

I don't get it too often, but it's common for Harwood's descendents to need to grow into that mouth. It's hard to make Alhena ugly.

Don't worry, Trip; I'm dreadful at not lurking, but I and many of your "silent readers" will always follow and enjoy your stories  :). Beck is gorgeous as an elder (I still swear she has the best combination of Pattina and Harwood's features) and I like how little Alhena seems to have inherited Clarissa's dress sense.

I love my lurkers, as I realize that they make the view count go up. ;D If it read like I was pressuring my lurkers into commenting, I wasn't meaning that. But thanks for reading! To everyone!

Well, Pattina is Beck's grandmother, and I don't think she contributed much to her looks. She was so pretty, though!

Alhena and Clarissa both liked spiceberry. I thought it was cute.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Well, Pattina is Beck's grandmother, and I don't think she contributed much to her looks. She was so pretty, though!

Whoops! I meant Julienne. I'm not sure how I mixed those two up.  :P

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »

Aw, Screwtape's kid is adorable! What a good looking teen. Alhena's outfits are wonderful. You always make such good use of patterns. I think we all appreciated the shot of Samhain running through the desert sand, too.  ;D

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Maturity? (6/8)
« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
Whoops! I meant Julienne. I'm not sure how I mixed those two up.  :P

No worries. :)

Aw, Screwtape's kid is adorable! What a good looking teen. Alhena's outfits are wonderful. You always make such good use of patterns. I think we all appreciated the shot of Samhain running through the desert sand, too.  ;D

As if Screwtape's kids can't be adorable!

Alhena was the one sim I could go totally pattern-crazy on. Somehow spiceberry has a way of looking really good with most patterns, so it was the perfect condition for me to get a little more creative with Alhena's wardrobe.

I think that was the precise moment where I realized "dang is Samhain a hottie!" instead of "yeah, he's pretty darn good-looking." It took me until Screwtape's adult birthday to truly appreciate his looks, for a bit of perspective.

---

His name was Maurice Dubois, and he was another child of Screwtape. However, the old man had no respectable excuse for Maurice's existence.

Screwtape was pretty young when it happened, and Clarissa was very much alive. However, he was warned about bringing too many guests to France at once, and he left Clarissa behind in Twinbrook.

The girl who worked at the nectary was named Charlotte Dubois, and Screwtape found a good friend in her. On his last night in France, they got to talking about families, and Screwtape's loneliness got the better of him from that moment.

And the spring in their steps told the rest of the story.

Since he was younger and naïve, he thought nothing of the consequences until he met Maurice years later. He was such a nice kid.

“Offspring! I have photographs of my grandoffspring in my wallet. Her name is Alhena, and she's your niece.”

“Niece?”

“I have yet to invent a new term for that. She's in the nectar garden anticipating childish games!”

Poor Maurice. There were a few teenagers in Champs Les Sims he could have hung out with instead, and even though he was fond enough of his distant family, he still sighed at being reeled into hours of tag with his niece.

Screwtape smiled at it instead. It was nice to see Alhena finally act like a child.

As for Screwtape, it was unclear whether he learned his lesson about irresponsible side-romances or not. He already had two illegitimate children from his escapades, and an outsider would say that there was no way that Screwtape could be stupid enough repeat his mistakes a third time with Capucine Dutiel.

It wasn't a mistake. His mother wanted five grandchildren, and someone had to do it.

Meanwhile, Alhena amused herself with a whale toy that she made herself. It seemed like an insignificant little thing for a girl who dreamed about unlocking time travel and artificial intelligence, but she ended up enjoying the small trinkets she made too.

When they got back home, Screwtape might have made new friends with the French, but he had an enemy back home. The easily-insulted Beck made the animosity clear with a slap across the face to her father-in-law.

It was too bad, because Screwtape was in great standing with the other Knacks. Julienne was a great cook while she was still alive, and even though Nick was merely a customer, all of the Ironstars felt a deep connection to him. All Screwtape could do was whip out his camera for a coveted shot of a ghost and the Reaper. Nick would understand.

With tragedy hitting the Knacks, it was time for Vega to pounce. She had a new flame in her life, someone who she said reminded her of an old friend, one with bright green eyes.

It was none other than Hugo Knack, Beck's older brother. Vega might have been close to elder by the time Hugo was born, but she'd be darned if he wasn't a cute old man.

If nothing else, she could already sense the jealousy boiling up in Susanne!

Ah, life was good.

Meanwhile, Samhain brushed his hair into a different arrangement so he could properly usher in middle-age, and played gig after gig in the park. He mastered the art of spontaneously appearing objects, but he had trouble thinking of great lines to go along with them.

“A lamp? Those things are bugged.”

“Yes, audience, I have produced a bugged lamp!”

Alhena sometimes liked his tricks, but she found more solace in painting. Even though she came from a line of sculptors, paint felt very natural to her. Her neuroticism lent itself to use of neons, and art teachers were already taking note of Alhena's skill. She was always absorbed in her art when she did it, enough to make her grandpa Harwood jealous if he ever came out to haunt.

But she still fretted over how she'd never top Marco James and his award-winning still-lives.

The elders realized the importance of having a good time, and they wanted Alhena to enjoy childhood before she had to stop and wait for immortality to have unlimited pool access, gym access, and well-beloved television time without limits. The girl was shaky on the diving board, but grandma Vega insisted that she made a spectacular splash.

Alhena later said that she hated childhood. She felt too limited; no one took her seriously as an inventor or as an artist. She was just a little girl with pockets full of widgets and cute neon paintings. While she also didn't want to make a big deal of her teen birthday, it filled her with joy that she was making another step towards maturity that everyone could see. Maybe even her crush could come closer to seeing it. The sparkles still came as a slight shock, though. That would never stop.

She ducked out of the party to get some new clothes and a different way to arrange her hair into a headband, then spending the night at Bayless Memorial Junkyard. She relished the smell of old scrap and rotting wood, of uncleaned floors and damp Twinbrook soil that sunk a bit under her feet and teemed with compost.

This was what she wanted: scrap for her visions. She was full of them, all imagined to perfection. It was the only way she could pass the time until she was an adult. Alhena itched for adulthood, from a curvier body to cuter guys.

Her chaperone seldom had deeper thoughts.

Little did either of them know that grandpa Screwtape was scheming, and everyone back at the house wished him well as he embarked on a soul-searching journey to university. Again.

---

And this was the moment where my jaw hit the floor and I said "woah, Alhena's gorgeous!" I spent a long time and countless dynasty attempts hoping for a female immortal that had Harwood's mouth, and I was on the verge of tears when Alhena celebrated her teen birthday, finally pulled off that mouth, and had every other feature of hers look perfect as well. Dang was she beautiful.

As for the quip about bugged genie lamps, genie lamps are actually horrendously bugged in my game (if I command sims to clean the lamp, they freeze and I have to reset them. I have a feeling that I've said this before). I never really used genie lamps much anyways, so even after lots of attempts at fixing the problem, I'm just leaving it be. Samhain's just very aware of my woes. :P

And have a picture of adult Hugo, and a story:

I don't have many good shots of him, but yeah, that's Beck's older brother. He's cute! Harwood usually makes very, very ugly sons, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Hugo all grown up. Now for my story.

Before Samhain was born, I was really divided over who he would marry, and who from a different line would have a different kid with Sheila. The end choice was Samhain married a Knack, and Sheila had a kid with a Bull. The other way around was possible, and Hugo would have been the only choice for Sheila to have a kid with if I wanted Samhain to marry one of Marc's daughters. So poor Hugo was given the short end of the deal because I liked his younger sister a lot more, and I gave him Vega in apology.

EDIT: So I'm reaching the limit of my Photobucket bandwidth, and it might have dire effects on my story since my bandwidth resets on the 25th. I'm not switching back to our site's gallery because I care enough about Carl's server not to overload it with huge PNGs. This chapter was hosted on Imgur, so it should be fine, but there might be a period where the rest of the thread is filled with broken images. I might just switch everything over to Imgur so the thread isn't a bunch of broken pics until the 25th.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2013, 03:44:37 AM »
Wait. PNGs are bad for Carl's server? Why didn't anyone tell me?! I feel awful now!

By samoht04

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »
I just say that because PNGs are bigger than JPGs. I actually have no idea if Carl has any policy on it. Don't fret!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
Images are back in working order. It was a tedious job to replace them, but there is no way that I'm having an active thread filled with Photobucket telling me to stop being so popular! I only did this for actual story and for this thread only (all my other threads are in the graveyard and/or under my old account anyways) and I didn't bother with images in other replies in this thread, or ones that weren't part of the story proper. So a sizable majority of my images are in working order. Thank goodness for Imgur!

I heartily apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. :)

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Men of a Certain Age (6/13)
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
It was just a reunion, and the last chance that Screwtape would ever get for one. He got calls about the deaths of his university friends periodically: first it was Waverly, then Mahmoud, then Liz.

He walked up the stairs to the house that his best university friend, Che Justice, rented for decades with his friends and his girlfriend. Screwtape never got a call about Che, and at his age, no news was good news.

Of course, immortality made him a scheming old man. He finally understood why his mum did some of the things she did. The students at University still mattered so much to Screwtape, and if he could carry on just one bloodline, he would. Preferably Che's.

Paul Biden, Che's old roommate, greeted him at the door. When Screwtape asked about Che, he got news he either never expected or expected far too much.

“It was pretty sudden,” said Paul.

University flourished better than Twinbrook did, though Screwtape was saddened to learn that Che died childless. He heard stories about the sims he graduated with living lives without any interference from the grey hands that gave Twinbrook any semblance of progression, but those children of his classmates were all so young, maybe about Samhain's age. Paul thought that the plan was delightfully evil instead. He said that his ex-girlfriend, Manisha, had a daughter, but Screwtape needed an old man like Paul. Sims University seemed so deprived of elders, though. It was either the adult offspring of his classmates, those who gave themselves to the supernatural, or the dwindling and dwindling peers of Screwtape. He almost gave up.

Paul had a story that could cheer Screwtape up. Manisha had a brief relationship with an outsider that resulted in her daughter, but she broke that off and dated one of the original frat boys until the end. And her frat boy lover was still alive by some miracle, stretching out his glory days in the old fraternity house.

Some sleuthing later, and Screwtape found himself dancing with Harold Assange, one of the last original fraternity brothers. His slightly-hooked nose and ice-blue eyes were too perfect for the job.

They got along very well, and before the night was over, Screwtape and Harold felt like they were old college chums instead of students who barely crossed paths.

And they returned to Twinbrook. The family welcomed Harold and lent him a room upstairs. They offered a pile of new clothes in his favorite color of hot pink and dye to return his hair to his natural honey blond. He was free to do as he pleased, which thankfully was gardening, but with one little condition from Screwtape. But they could wait on that.

Meanwhile, Alhena spent mornings before school and afternoons afterward in the abandoned fire station, armed with a moodlet manager and a blowtorch. With city hall granting her self-employed status, she slaved away at tiny trinkets that sold at less than 10 simoleons apiece, and floor hygienators that took hours to build. As much as she loved the craft, it wasn't as lucrative or as efficient as she hoped. Alhena pondered the possibilities that could launch her profession and cement her dedication to invention.

One day at the consignment shop, she had a revelation.

Localized Static Testers sold like hotcakes for 70 simoleons at minimum, and they piled up. Six testers per hour and hours spent at the workbench meant that Alhena's climb to inventing success quickened.

Alhena wasn't the only one with an intense focus on a profession. Her father was still young enough to have more progress ahead of him.

“I'll...I'll just hand this over to grandma.”

“Can you provide hilarious commentary when I get home?”

He presented the roses with a bit more pomp. One more trick down!

Samhain also took the task of finding friends and potential spouses for Alhena. With so much work put into inventing, his daughter had to have been set for a well-deserved break. He kept asking her about guys that she went to school with, faced with some disappointment when she could list only two. Samhain had a large graduating class, mostly comprised of Sinbad's children and a few other results of his grandmother's schemes, but it was unfortunate that Alhena was close to alone.

But he still had to work with the small pool. Samhain smiled when he saw Alhena pillow fighting with a nice young man in the hallway.

His name was Rhett Wilkes. Alhena considered him a friend, and unfortunately for Samhain, just that.

Alhena wasn't one to deny that her heart was in a much different place. She took comfort in the familiar embrace of her wonderful Marco James. They kept it platonic, but his grey eyes sent Alhena's heart racing. She was caught in the middle; too old to see him as an uncle like she did when she was a child, but still too young to turn the embrace into anything more. She yearned for the latter to come as soon as it could, as there were still a few years left for Samhain to turn fate around.

She would spend eternity resenting him if he did, sitting at the huge TV or in the ambrosia room with a poisonous air filling the vicinity while he gushed on about the adult that he crushed on as a teen. Alhena had no idea about the baggage that the Drudges carried. All she saw the fault of her own father, and that tempting love that filled her heart more by the day.

Samhain just relaxed with the woman he married and crushed on since childhood, thinking nothing of it. In fact, maybe he even thought less of his worrying; after all, what other dad in Simnation would encourage their daughter to see teenaged boys?

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
I think it would be very hypocritical of Samhain to deny Alhena her Marco James. But then, I don't really understand the 'burden' of the Drudges, and I'm not sure if it's because it's a mystery or because I'm being a bit thick.

By samoht04

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #222 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
I think it would be very hypocritical of Samhain to deny Alhena her Marco James. But then, I don't really understand the 'burden' of the Drudges, and I'm not sure if it's because it's a mystery or because I'm being a bit thick.

Go back to the chapter where Samhain gets married. Sheila says that she'll be there when Marco James is truly happy, and you might see how that can create some problems. Samhain's just very perceptive to those problems, just not to his own hypocrisy.

(He might also be opposed to it because Marco is more like family and that he had a huge hand in raising Alhena, while Beck existed to Samhain as a friend and didn't raise him)

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Graveyard
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
Let's just end this story before I go insane.

I want to leave this failed dynasty behind me. I've done better things since this, like a speed run that isn't the best-written thing I've done, but it's left me with a sense of accomplishment. And it makes the desire to bury this story much stronger.

And I've learned to be laconic.

So instead of six or more updates, let's have a picture sum up the ending. This was my fifth generation, Heathcliff:

Heck, I gave away half of the ending right there! Let's summarize the rest in words.

- Alhena and Marco had a difficult, turbulent romance. But they eventually found their happiness upon the birth of dear Heathcliff.

- Within hours of each other, these events happened:
- - Marco went back to work, since Heathcliff was born during his shift at the hospital.
- - He went home to snuggle Heathcliff and look just so happy while doing so.
- - Meanwhile, I foreshadowed! During Samhain's wedding, Sheila said that she'll be there when Marco is truly happy. And he was when his son was born.
- - Well...

...Sheila's good at keeping promises, I guess. That's why Samhain was steadfast in refusing to accept that Alhena and Marco was totally meant to be a thing; if Marco was happy, things like that would happen.

Don't fret, readers! I'll be back one of these days. It will take some time, but I'll have a new dynasty when I'm ready.

Thanks for the views, the comments, the support, the dedicated readership, the swooning over Samhain, and just everything that you forumers gave me. This was a great experience while it lasted. :)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Ironstar Immortals: Graveyard
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
I'm sorry you're unable to gon with your story, Trip.  I'll move it to the graveyard as you requested.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests