Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 243446 times)

Curveball

Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)
« Reply #750 on: September 18, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »
Thanks for the warning. The fruit cart from the store is dynasty-legal though, right? And that one has location-specific fruits, I think even the ones you buy with ancient coins...

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #751 on: September 18, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
The produce cart is legal to use. I didn't know if you had it or not.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Curveball

« Reply #752 on: September 18, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
Thankfully I have :)

Also, I was wondering about the score - is it better, points-wise, to have the founder/gen 2 heir do sculpting/painting/photography, or do death bonuses beat out experience bonuses in the end?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #753 on: September 18, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
Combine both methods. Train an immortal as soon as possible, but also use mortal talent while you can. I stopped with having my mortals do museum work after generation four's adulthood, but some people have lasted longer with it.

If you have the time to read a dynasty, I highly recommend reading Artie's Lunar Lunacy by Rica. She had the highest museum score for a while and she actually gives a lot of glimpses into how she did it. Plus it's a great story. :P Though in short, she used mortal talent right until generation six's second wife died, while training her founder in sculpting for generations before she had to use it.

It is a shame that Rica isn't active here anymore, or else you could ask her questions too. You're stuck with me now!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #754 on: September 19, 2014, 04:30:27 AM »
In my current attempt, I've decided to keep Painting as a free skill because

1) It can give my elders something to work on once they are elders and
(Gens 1 - 7 supermaxing painting)

2) It is part of a number of LTWs that I like to complete, an
(off the top of my head: Renaissance Sim (not necessary, but I like doing this as one of those ones), Master of the Arts, Illustrious Author, Descendant of Da Vinci, and Visionary).

3) i like the animations they go through with painting.

Gen 1 supermaxed Street Art and did street credible LTW with the forgery track of the art appraiser career.
Gen 2 is supermaxing Sculpting with Descendant of Da Vinci LTW (she used brain enhancing machines for inventing) and Self Employed Sculpting Career
Gen 3 will supermax Photography with Visionary LTW and Self Employed Photographer Career.
Gen 4 will supermax Handiness with Monster Maker LTW and Self Employed Inventor Career.
Gen 5 will superrmax Alchemy with Alchemy Mastery LTW and Self Employed Alchemist Career.
Gen 6 will supermax Gardening with Renaissance Sim LTW (Painting, Gardening & Cooking) and Self Employed Gardening Career.
Gen 7 will supermax Fishing with Master of the Arts LTW (strange combo, I know, but ask anyone who knows me, and they will tel you I am strange) and Self Employed Fishing Career.
Gen 8 will Supermax Writing with Illustrious Author LTW and Self Employed Author Career.

Gen 1 hubby (Gobias) did handiness, gardening, fishing, and picked up a point of alchemy. This was in order for him to get to level 5 in science career, and then go into the SE Gardening, SE Fishing and SE Alchemy Careers for his LTHPs (his LTW was to hit level 5 in four careers), he chugged a Wish Enhancing Elixir and bought the family a food replicator reward. He also caught enough deathfish, angelfish and alley catfish to stock the pond and Grim came for him just after he caught a deathfish. He also upgrade items, especially the food replicators. He was extremely fortunate with his garden - several money trees, life fruit trees and death bushes from the special seeds he found.

Gen 1 helper 1 (Victoria Andrews) did painting and was basically responsible for a lot of the raising of Gen 2, in between her job (which was the basis of her LTW). She achieved her LTW which was to hit the top of the journalism career and also wrote a few books for later generations to read. She died just before my founder hit Elderhood, which was a shame, but my back up was in place. I believe she also picked up a food replicator reward for the family.

Gen 1 helper 2 (Beau Andrews) did sculpting, photography, cooking (all from the brain enhancing machine - I got him to the level to do ice sculptures and then his first 25 sculptures were ice) and ha his LTW changed to Renaissance Sim. At level 10 cooking, he went to the bookstore and purchased himself cooking books, 2 of ambrosia and 1 of all the rest, he read ambrosia, and made it to the mixing bowl stage before stopping and storing it into the upgraded food replicators. He also purchased a collection helper from his lthps). As with Victoria, Beau died just before my founder reached elderhood, and as with painting, my back up plan was in place.

Gen 2 and her husband both did painting and sculpting. Husband focused primarily on Sculpting (he would be the one who would end up doing the Founder's Elder Ice Sculpture and all of his wife's sculptures), and Gen 2 initially focused on painting (to do her mother's elder portrait. Hubby also did photography.

Both of them had imaginary friends who were turned real, the female IF took over gardening and fishing and the male IF went into alchemy and dabbled a bit in science and writing as well.

Gen 3 and her future hubby have both been born and are toddlers. As she is supermaxing photography (and I will have a backup when should something go wrong with that skill) her hubby will also learn photography to complete the photos of Gen 3 after the Gen 2 spouse dies.

Pregnancies and Sculpting
I am playing without Seasons, Pets, Island Paradise or Showtime (I didn't get them for my laptop) and so snow days and days off for celebration days do not impact on game play. So, the biggest thing that dictated when I made my sims pregnant was - Beau's progress with ice sculptures. When he got to 20, and I saw there were still a few days before my founder reached Adult, I sent all four adults to their bedrooms. As I wanted both couples to give birth on the same day, I had them do the romantic interactions early morning and chimes were heard first time for both couples. I did the same thing when Gen 3 and her future husband were born. I do that to avoid multiple days off for high school graduations as you can't age up early in this challenge, so the control you have is dates of birth for heirs an spouses and heirs.

Photography Skill
With Beau I just simply got him to level 10 photography skill and had him take the photo of my founder, I was more interested in ensuring it would get taken than with values of his shots. I did send him regularly to the consignment store to look for those most expensive cameras, which I think he got on the second or third try. I also had Gen 1ers pick up things and bring home that would be useful for future photographs.

I gave Gen 2 spouse the lovely camera and he went around the yard photographing the stuff his parents and in-laws brought home and then the various buildings and sights of Sunset Valley. I do want him to get to 75 shots for that bonus and also to photograph 10 landmarks for that bonus before anyone goes anywhere. Once Gen 3 is a teen, she and her parents will be off to France so dad and daughter can get photos of the sights of France, especially the nectary. I will follow that up with trips to China and Egypt for the same purpose.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #755 on: September 19, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »
That's a good plan Dek. One thing, inventing career is pretty hard. Just be warned!

Gobias is such a great spouse. I've used him so much :)

Also, it is possibly going to be easier for you with no extra expansions. They add lag a lot, don't they.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #756 on: September 19, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
The inventing career isn't so bad if you make a lot of Flying Fighters widgets. They have a high base value and are quick to make.

It's been a while since I've had a self-employed inventor, but my last one maxed the career around her adult birthday. Mostly by making Flying Fighters.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #757 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
I completed the inventing career in the 4x4 with liberal use of the motive mobile so it's very doable in an Immortal Dynasty.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #758 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Trip, just so you know, your museum value for the waverlys in the hall of fame... Is higher than Rica's. So 1) congrats and 2) I think youre qualified to answer museum value questions.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #759 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »
I just Supermaxed the photography skill in my immortal dynasty. A guide to how:

1) Paparazzi is by far the hardest. Have another person learn social networking, then summon sims. They can also transmogrify your sims' relationships with anyone they want to stranger.

2) Architectural Eye is easy. The hardest part will be getting things to register. Try a town like sunset Valley if you want to avoid this.

3) You don't need to travel for this supermax.

4) Photog will come without you even trying so don't sweat that one. Human Form Expert will fall in the course of getting paparazzi.

I have a lot of specific tips for Shutternut. First of all, know which collections you want to do. I recommend:

1) Animal Kingdom - Buy a bird to get Pet in a Cage and Birdie. Then adopt one pet of each type, take photos for a Dog, A Cat, A Horse. Make at least two of those adopted animals babies for Baby Animals. Then take a photo of them all together for A Zoo. Then have another sim ride the horse for Horse and Rider. My Pet will fall somewhere in here, the only hard photo in this collection is a Deer so use that stray animal gnome to attract them and hope for the best.

2) Home Sweet Home - All pretty easy. There are two home decor, I tried using an ambitions sculpture for the second one and that worked once but in this particular file I got it somehow and I don't even know how. Furniture will come up randomly but don't worry about it. Baby Stuff = a crib, Toys and Hobbies = two easels, Something Yummy = a plate of food, Gadgets Galore = a video game thingie, Cute Teddy Bear doesn't need explaining, neither does A Toilet, Kitchen Kitcsh = a coffee maker, A Party = balloons, Bathroom Stuff = toilet and hand towel. Outdoor stuff is anything from the outdoor tab. A Nice Garden is next to impossible. Do it in either spring or summer, else it will not work. Then just swing the camera around and hope for the best.

3) Plants and Flowers - White Roses are called 'Semi Roses' in BuildMode and can be found under the Flowers tab. You can also find sunflowers there, but choose the sunflower with multiple heads and when you take the picture make sure the top head is facing you. Red Roses are the Rosey Roses. Hydrangea is also in there. The rest are fairly self explanatory, place the allowed lots in your file and you can get the WA plants easily.

4) Still Life - Almost all of these day what they are outright. Garden Decorations, just use those flamingos from buy mode. Objects will come up at some point there's not any method to it really. The only hard one is Nectar and Food. I got it by placing one single portion of Autumn Salad at a place on a dining table, putting one full bottle of nectar next to it and pouring one glass of another nectar bottle and putting that next to it also. It doesn't work if you put a tray of nectar glasses down - it has to be one glass.

5) Around Town - Simple and self-explanatory. Again Sunset Valley would be best for this but I'm nuts so I did it in Moonlight Falls. Only hard one is Police Car - good luck with that, but you can always just have someone do law enforcement career. I just happened to get lucky with it but I might've had to do that in the end.

For other tips try the guide page
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/worldadventures/photography/

or the tips page
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,210.msg356870.html#msg356870

JessyWoos post is super helpful.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #760 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »
Thank you for this, Lisa46! I have heard that Photography is a nightmare to SuperMax and now I am less intimidated to try. :)
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #761 on: November 10, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
I'm glad I helped! Apart from Paparazzi it's pretty easy, but it does take a ton of micro-managing. I chose to do it as my first immortal's skill, and now no one else will have to worry about it.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #762 on: November 10, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »
Funny thing about nice garden, it's always popping up when I'm trying for other things.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #763 on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
Yeah, Nice Garden comes up any time I point at a place with a lot of plants. Even with Seasons installed.

Also, from a moderator's standpoint, please screencap your evidence of completing Shutternut! The skill challenge doesn't always register in the journal, and in the case of that, please bring it to the relevant dynasty thread with some sort of proof of completion. The easiest way to give proof is to have a screenshot of the five completed collections.

This applies for any buggy challenge. Please give me or anyone else on the Team as much proof of completion as you can.

Don't forget to include the whole Team in PMs when you have a question or something to add into the Hall of Fame. It's become less of an occurrence lately, but sometimes I get left out of PMs, or more often, I tend to be the only one contacted. It saves us a step if you include all Team members in a PM:

• Metro
  • Nutella
  • Blackrosea
  • Ratchie
  • Trip (a.k.a. me!!)
  • LenaLJ

We all have different schedules, and making sure that we're all in on what you need ensures a speedier response. :) This counts for TS4 dynasties too.

Trip, just so you know, your museum value for the waverlys in the hall of fame... Is higher than Rica's. So 1) congrats and 2) I think youre qualified to answer museum value questions.

Kind of late in replying, but I was well-aware of my accomplishment. ;) After I passed the 2.5 million mark (I counted museum value each generation or more), I was looking towards beating Rica's record.

However, I'd much quicker point an aspiring record-beater to her thread before mine. Not only did she actually complete her story and incorporated her strategy into the narrative, but Rica also relied on skill and strategy far more than I did. I got the top score by taking a really freakin' long time with my dynasty. Sure, I tried hard to get my museum score too, but I'd probably be closer to 2 million if I completed my dynasty in 60 weeks rather than 78.

Rica was laser-focused. She made her sims slaves to their art, and I mean that in the greatest way possible. I wasn't anywhere close to that.

Time is a huge factor in high museum scores, however. Rica had a bit of it on her side too (I think her dynasty lasted for 63 weeks). If you're truly striving for the top score, it pays off to space out generations. I mentioned this before, but all but two of my immortals had their children as adults or older. It made for some boring times, but for a much nicer score in the end.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »
Trip, I didn't know you were on the team! Congratulations on making it official! You always answer all the dynasty questions anyway and Watcher knows you have a lot of experience, hahaha.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

anything