Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 242978 times)

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
One tip I've found for pollinators is that once you get someone as their RI, all you have to do is send the RI a woohooty text. Once they come over and the animation has the duo done but under the covers, click 'Try for Baby' and the two will immediately go for it rather than you having to do the intermediate steps. Repeat as necessary.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
I've found a random tip, and I'm a little afraid someone may view this as an exploit (which it is, shamelessly, but it's so useful in those starting days).
I've never completed a dynasty, but in all the attempts I've made, I've discovered something if you own the MultiTab.

If you have a Sim put in a tabcast and listen to it, they may casually go on to do other things, however if you shower or sleep the tabcast will immediately stop playing.
I've found ways around that, not cheating - of course - just by accident. My Sim decided to take a nap in a rocking chair and the tabcast kept playing in her ear! She was still gaining skill as she slept in the rocking chair. Meanwhile, whenever my Sim used an All-in-one-Bathroom the skilling didn't get interrupted there either!

Hopefully this isn't considered too cheaty, but who knows? It might help someone out in a future attempt. :)
I normally don't do that (in some rare cases I did for my short dynasty because... when you only have a few days to max a lot of skills for a career that goes fast you take every option you get) because when I pulled a test file up I had a Sim who ended up maxing Photography overnight (possibly because the photography tabcasts are bugged, they only take 2 hours for every level, where as the time scales with the level on other skills).

Even if you don't have the tabcast - Rocking Chairs are super useful! You don't get robbed while a Sim sleeps in the rocking chair and my Sims always get a lot more sleep on one than they would a cheap bed. Until you can afford that nice $3000 bed, buy the $200 rocking chair! :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #692 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
Rocking chairs are great. Sims will nap on them through music and crying babies too, and it doesn't count as them sleeping, so no burglars either.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #693 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
I've used the rocking chairs instead of beds in early days, but never thought about the burglar prevention. Great tip!

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #694 on: March 03, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
I want to give a VERY useful tip for those who are using Alchemy in their Dynasties, not just Immortal, but this is a good place to put it first since I thought about how Orange Iguana had trouble with the Philosopher's Stone opportunities. I was working on a 4x4 starting in Moonlight Falls(because the Crumplebottom sisters would be an excellent source of obelisk tombstones since they are old witches and Belinda is very easy to woo since you can enthuse about cooking to her, but I digress).

This is a tip for finding those annoying bugs you need to get for Wish Enhancing Serums(I call them Wish Serums and cut out the middle word) and, for Life States Dynasties, royal purples for Age Instants to kick out spares, I discovered it by accident:

If you master Alchemy and get the first Alchemic Mastery opportunity, it asks you to collect four bugs. Remember how that one quest in China for WA users asks you to collect five metals and then shows you where they all are and what they are? SAME THING HERE. You get shown where all the bugs are and even icons showing what they are! I was able to create picture maps of the locations of ALL the Red Admiral Butterflies(for Wish Serums) and ALL the Royal Purples(for Age Instant) as well as all the Green Swallowtails(for Fountain of Youth). I plan on starting a new file in every town, dumping the arboretum and vault in each, and mastering alchemy to get the Alchemic Mastery so I can make more bug maps. Is anyone willing to support me on this?
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline isilweth

• Nooboo
« Reply #695 on: March 05, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
If you are playing with University Life and your Immortal is super-maxing writing, consider Comic Books. They are unlocked immediately, and will complete the skill challenges quickly. One thing to note - they also increase the painting skill (though not as quickly as writing), so are not a great idea if painting is another Immortal's super-max.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #696 on: March 05, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
They only seem to increase painting when you do a ton of them. My writer has some comic books under her belt (10 or so; her main genre is satire), and she has yet to skill up in painting. One of my now-deceased writers wrote dozens of comic books, and only at the end of his career did he start to level up in painting by writing comic books. Street art is a different story, though. They increase the street art skill steadily.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #697 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
I've had both painting and street art increase when writing comic books at different times on different sims. I *think* it depends on which (or if either) of those two skills are already possessed by the writer sim.

Hannah Jones in my Oids game had a high level of writing and had some painting but no street art, writing comics continued to keep increasing her painting skill. Hannah didn't increase in her street art.

I'm sure I've had a writer sim in the past who wrote comic books and increased their street art skill as well.

Offline Kalagorn

• Nooboo
« Reply #698 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Just wondering, what do you guys think are the best Skills, Professions, LTRs, LTWs etc. etc. for earlier generations? The most useful, easiest, ones to avoid and so on. Would gardening be a good choice for Founder? I'm planning for my founder's profession to be Chef, as I can't think anything more useful.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #699 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
Just wondering, what do you guys think are the best Skills, Professions, LTRs, LTWs etc. etc. for earlier generations? The most useful, easiest, ones to avoid and so on. Would gardening be a good choice for Founder? I'm planning for my founder's profession to be Chef, as I can't think anything more useful.

I have done several attempts where I've gotten to gen 2-3, and I always do cooking first, then gardening, then fishing as the super max skills, as well as letting my founder also max handiness and alchemy (or using a helper for those, it depends).
Careers are just the ones for the skill, cooking, gardener and angler (assuming you have ambitions).

It also depends on which town and which townies you'll be using.

I use a big spreadsheet where I can see every generations stats and I plan ahead and make sure I don't accidentally use something I had planned for a specific heir.

Now, I've never gotten past gen 3, because I had serious computer issues with my laptop, but now that I've moved to a desktop I think I'll be able to finish. So I can't say how well this truly works out long term, but the cooking, gardening and fishing definitely seem easiest and most useful for the first three. Save the harder ones for later when you have more $$ and other benefits.
- Jessica

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #700 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:06 PM »
Well, starting as one of the base 3 skills for Ambrosia is actually not what I would recommend. I would recommend - for the easiest run - that the founder start with painting. Here's my reasoning: when you have a cook/gardener/fisherman, they can all become obsolete with abundance. If you bring in a helper Sim - I'll say Agnes for good measure - you can have them Paint your founder, garden, fish and cook. They only really need one or two lifefruits and deathfish and a few replicators before you won't have to worry about ambrosia ever again whereas painting is required at every lifestate of every heir. I recommend getting the painting/artist Sim out of the way first, and worry about the cooking/gardening/fishing for later as if you have a spare/helper do it for you, you'll likely already have an abundance of the required tools to make the ambrosia, and with a replicator you won't even need a cook from then on out. Not to mention, you could always save fishing for later on, stock a pond with 10 deathfish (note, you won't get them back) and have your fishersim fish for them at all hours of the day. But keeping a stock of 20 deathfish will likely be all you'll need (and that's overkill, really) so long as you use and upgrade the replicators. So Handiness might help for later down the line too.
Cooking/Fishing/Gardening always seem like the most important skills, but whenever I would attempt this and start with one of those I always struggled with painting. If you get the painter out of the way ASAP then you won't have to worry about "oh, well, who's going to paint so-and-so's pictures as a Tod/C/Te/YA/A/E?"

Also, for LTR belonging to your specific founders/heirs... make a list of the ones you want to keep "Universal" and don't forget it! If you give your founder Steel Bladder in a hurry to get them ambrosia, no one else can even think about using it, so you'll have 7 other generations that will always need a toilet.
My recommendation is to go through each generation prior to starting and give a general idea of what skills you plan to do for each generation. They don't have to be perfectly accurate, list 2 or 3 of the ones you "might" want to do so when it comes down to when you're actually in game you might remember "Oh goodness! I need to move this skill up more!" Or "Oh dear, I'm not ready for that skill, move it down a few generations!" But having 2 or 3 listed is good. Now go through the LTR list and find ones that pertain to those skills. "More Creative" for Painters, "Born to Cook" for your Chef, "Super Green Thumb" for your gardener... and so on.
Be wary of certain LTR that can sometimes cross over more than one career - like Artisan Crafter that goes to BOTH inventing and sculpting. If you were to do an inventor later on after your artist who does sculpting you might wish you hadn't made that a unique lifetime reward.
Personally, other than skill specific ones, I try to use throw-away LTR for unique LTR. Things like "Discount Diner" and "Free Entertainment" ones are good for those things, and they're cheap - though try not to use all the cheap ones on one person... always save a few as a "panic" button for when you realize your Sim has burned through all their LTHP.

Sorry this  list is long, and it's not even over yet. Funny enough, I haven't completed an Immortal Dynasty - but I learned almost all of this from reading them and from my Life State's Dynasty.

Oh, save those support skills for later on, try not to bring them up sooner, the only exception I can think of to this would be Alchemy, but that's because the Elixirs are just so helpful in the beginning. Save those skills that require other skills until later so you can prep for them. Nectar Making requires a lot of fruit and fruit of a particularly good variety (at least Excellent in Quality, but having Perfect would probably be ideal) to make the best batches of Nectar (of course, with my experience I still don't even touch those perfect fruits until my Nectar Maker is at least level 7 or so to be safe. I like to just buy Apples, Limes and regular Grapes from the grocery store to hold them over until they get higher up so I can assure that I'm not wasting good fruits.
Handiness is also a skill you'll likely want to put before your Nectar Maker so you can upgrade all of their Nectar Makers.
Inventing, Nectar Making and several other skills are what I would consider "support" skills. They require the support of other skills in order to have good results quickly. I classify inventing as one of those skills because it's simply not easy to find a pink diamond (or 3 of those, really) and have the heart shape cut ready to go immediately. Not to mention it's nice to have someone a few generations prior pick up a majority of the scrap to be used so your Inventor doesn't waste their time running around looking for scrap instead of inventing.

Anywho, sorry, that was long winded. I have a minor question to those who have completed a ID, how many weeks were you in?
I ask because, I'm at 30 some-odd weeks in Dragon Valley (almost finished with my Life States Dynasty) and I'm not having a bit of trouble. I tend to run into trouble with most of my other towns, so I just want a general idea of how many weeks out I'll have to go (though I know it does vary, I just want an estimate as right now I have no number to go on) when/if I attempt my dynasty. It will also give me an idea of other towns to try to see if they'll survive the multiple weeks it takes.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #701 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
Well, starting as one of the base 3 skills for Ambrosia is actually not what I would recommend. I would recommend - for the easiest run - that the founder start with painting.

I think it's a good idea to save your painter for later simply because if you use the founder to do everyone else's portraits, they will not be worth as much in value as if you used a helper. When someone dies, their paintings raise in value, so if you use spouses to do painting, they will be worth more at the end of the game, which increases your "score". So if you care about that...
- Jessica

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #702 on: March 07, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »
I think it's a good idea to save your painter for later simply because if you use the founder to do everyone else's portraits, they will not be worth as much in value as if you used a helper. When someone dies, their paintings raise in value, so if you use spouses to do painting, they will be worth more at the end of the game, which increases your "score". So if you care about that...
I'm fully aware of that, he was asking about the most useful/easiest skills for earlier generations. I recommended that because then you don't have to worry about your painter dying before you are finished with them. The boost is helpful but not required. For a first time dynasty player I would recommend painting first because it can get one huge worry out of the way. When you get more skilled and are focused on score rather than finishing is when I would say put off the painter.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #703 on: March 07, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
I'm fully aware of that, he was asking about the most useful/easiest skills for earlier generations. I recommended that because then you don't have to worry about your painter dying before you are finished with them. The boost is helpful but not required. For a first time dynasty player I would recommend painting first because it can get one huge worry out of the way. When you get more skilled and are focused on score rather than finishing is when I would say put off the painter.

I'm sure you are aware of it, but I was making sure the person who ASKED the question was aware of it.
- Jessica

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #704 on: March 07, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
I'm sure you are aware of it, but I was making sure the person who ASKED the question was aware of it.
Ah, forgive me, I was unsure as to who you were addressing.

anything