Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 99199 times)

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)
« Reply #675 on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
Oh thanks, I've been having that problem a bunch. It would give me an excuse to uninstall Master Controller. Now we have a solution: So, if your Sim is employed in a rabbit-hole career, then he or she won't reject opps and they'll pop up if you ignore the phone? Now that you mention it, I am doing an unofficial run on Isla Paradiso and I moved in the Ichtaca family - both Carolina and Guillmero were in rabbit-hole jobs but I made them quit and Carolina got the "Sims on Ice" opportunity when she got high level in sculpting.  You say that I could just have my founder tour a theater and the bug will fix itself for her? Not like I am worried about opps for her as she's taking Scuba Diving work and has gotten four celebrity opps already(since she best friends Guillmero who was a four-star celeb and married Rubisel, who was a one-star celeb).
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Oh, she wanna creep like ivy?
« Reply #676 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
I found myself writing up a comprehensive guide to "cramming as many original townies into your immortal dynasty's family tree as humanly possible." Written from experience, of course, considering how my sixth generation has twelve original townie ancestors, while her future husband has six more. It specifically deals with immortal dynasties and how to do it within the rules. I'm not finished with it yet, but would anybody be interested in such a guide when I finish it?

Objectively, it's a pretty frivolous tip, but there are people who aren't me who want to saturate the gene pool with original townie blood, and I thought it could be of help. :)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / DecaDynasty

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #677 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
I found myself writing up a comprehensive guide to "cramming as many original townies into your immortal dynasty's family tree as humanly possible." Written from experience, of course, considering how my sixth generation has twelve original townie ancestors, while her future husband has six more. It specifically deals with immortal dynasties and how to do it within the rules. I'm not finished with it yet, but would anybody be interested in such a guide when I finish it?

Objectively, it's a pretty frivolous tip, but there are people who aren't me who want to saturate the gene pool with original townie blood, and I thought it could be of help. :)

that sounds interesting, Trip.  I'd love to see it!  :)

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #678 on: February 11, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Trip, your guide would be interesting to people doing other dynasties (townie and 4x4) too.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #679 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
Definitely! The rules for moving sims and and out in those dynasties are far more relaxed, so they'd have to adjust my advice accordingly.

Anyways, I have Version 1 in Google Docs, right here. It should be read-only. I'll definitely revise it if someone else has useful tips, or if I ended up forgetting something. :P

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #680 on: February 11, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Nice tips Trip, I never knew that about the fireworks and ghosts, always so many new things to learn with this game.

I never had supernatural when I started my dynasty but I can see your point about the longer lived occults, really noticed the difference playing the life states dynasty as original townies still outnumber the clones, some of that is me throwing fountains of youth at them mind you.

I would go as far as to say I detest the sight of the EA clones now, I had two marry into my dynasty by necessity more than anything as there wasn't anybody else, and IF's or their children were preferable to a townie clone, thankfully only the generic nose crept into the facial features and gen sixes lovely original Egyptian townie husband soon put paid to that feature with his extremely wide one  ;D

If I ever did it again I would definitely put some of your tips into practice, and as Marian said it's also useful for some of the other dynasties as well.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #681 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
Wow, Trip, I'm tempted to try an Immortal Dynasty again with townie genes only. One thing I'd add -- that you give your pollinator the Fertility LTR. There's an elixir that might be good, too, but I don't know whether it works overall, or is just a one-time hit.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #682 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Elder men can't buy the Fertility Treatment LTR, for whatever reason, and all but three of my dozen or so pollinators came into the house as elders. The Procreation Elixir never worked in my limited experience, so I don't bother with it.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #683 on: February 11, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, Trip, the one with the fireworks and ghosts is a great one, as is the one about woohooing in rabbitholes not being able to be refused. If you should buy a house with ghost urns on the property (eg the Goth house in Sunset Valley or the Jones house in Riverview) and move the urns/gravestones to the graveyard as well, will those pre-existing ghosts also be involved in the process of watching the fireworks?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #684 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
They should come out for fireworks if you move their tombstones to the cemetery, even if they weren't originally buried there.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
Regarding your pollinator tips, Trip, I have a question. How many women would you recommend each pollinator have kids with? I mean, if there are several women and if an heir actually picks one of the kids, that eliminates the entire line for two generations.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
I recommend trying to keep the numbers of women down as much as possible, trying to get more kids per woman instead of sheer amounts of women with children, but I ended up having some pollinators impregnate multiple women when I feared that I wouldn't have a way to continue the mother's line another way/I didn't like the kids with their first babymomma. It's something that I feel depends on the situation.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
Thanks, Trip. I find werewolves to be a mixed bag as yes, it's dang near impossible to get them out of werewolfy form and that they can't have kids as wolves. However, it also means that some townie guy is going to be stuck at the end of his life stage for a really, really long time (to note, Mason Sackholme is still a young adult and Gen 4 is a teen).

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #688 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

Great guide, Trip! A few of those tips were brand new to me. Wish I'd known the thing about ghosts and fireworks before.  ::) As for werewolves, I think they're kind of a mixed bag. If you have a witch in your family, casting sunlight charm will pop a werewolf back into normal sim form to be able to try for baby. It's kind of a pain, but on the other hand, those werewolf kids get stuck in werewolf form a lot and don't age up. Several of Evan's werewolf kids were still around by the end of my dynasty (for example: Maebe Chique was still a teen). I suppose it's handy if for some reason you know it's going to take a long, long time before you want to integrate that family into the line. Hm, like maybe, you have several pollinators at the beginning of the dynasty, but don't have room for more of them in the later days? Then, when you want them to age up, just cast a sunlight charm and bam! You can time it so they're age appropriate for your targeted immortal (like Joy and Jaden!).

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #689 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »
Yeah, I definitely would have thought differently about werewolves if I had a witch early on in the game. I also have to give credit to Chuckles_82 for the tip about ghosts and fireworks, in this post. It took a lot of testing for me to realize that it works only in cemeteries, though.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
One tip I've found for pollinators is that once you get someone as their RI, all you have to do is send the RI a woohooty text. Once they come over and the animation has the duo done but under the covers, click 'Try for Baby' and the two will immediately go for it rather than you having to do the intermediate steps. Repeat as necessary.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
I've found a random tip, and I'm a little afraid someone may view this as an exploit (which it is, shamelessly, but it's so useful in those starting days).
I've never completed a dynasty, but in all the attempts I've made, I've discovered something if you own the MultiTab.

If you have a Sim put in a tabcast and listen to it, they may casually go on to do other things, however if you shower or sleep the tabcast will immediately stop playing.
I've found ways around that, not cheating - of course - just by accident. My Sim decided to take a nap in a rocking chair and the tabcast kept playing in her ear! She was still gaining skill as she slept in the rocking chair. Meanwhile, whenever my Sim used an All-in-one-Bathroom the skilling didn't get interrupted there either!

Hopefully this isn't considered too cheaty, but who knows? It might help someone out in a future attempt. :)
I normally don't do that (in some rare cases I did for my short dynasty because... when you only have a few days to max a lot of skills for a career that goes fast you take every option you get) because when I pulled a test file up I had a Sim who ended up maxing Photography overnight (possibly because the photography tabcasts are bugged, they only take 2 hours for every level, where as the time scales with the level on other skills).

Even if you don't have the tabcast - Rocking Chairs are super useful! You don't get robbed while a Sim sleeps in the rocking chair and my Sims always get a lot more sleep on one than they would a cheap bed. Until you can afford that nice $3000 bed, buy the $200 rocking chair! :)

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #692 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
Rocking chairs are great. Sims will nap on them through music and crying babies too, and it doesn't count as them sleeping, so no burglars either.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #693 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
I've used the rocking chairs instead of beds in early days, but never thought about the burglar prevention. Great tip!

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #694 on: March 03, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
I want to give a VERY useful tip for those who are using Alchemy in their Dynasties, not just Immortal, but this is a good place to put it first since I thought about how Orange Iguana had trouble with the Philosopher's Stone opportunities. I was working on a 4x4 starting in Moonlight Falls(because the Crumplebottom sisters would be an excellent source of obelisk tombstones since they are old witches and Belinda is very easy to woo since you can enthuse about cooking to her, but I digress).

This is a tip for finding those annoying bugs you need to get for Wish Enhancing Serums(I call them Wish Serums and cut out the middle word) and, for Life States Dynasties, royal purples for Age Instants to kick out spares, I discovered it by accident:

If you master Alchemy and get the first Alchemic Mastery opportunity, it asks you to collect four bugs. Remember how that one quest in China for WA users asks you to collect five metals and then shows you where they all are and what they are? SAME THING HERE. You get shown where all the bugs are and even icons showing what they are! I was able to create picture maps of the locations of ALL the Red Admiral Butterflies(for Wish Serums) and ALL the Royal Purples(for Age Instant) as well as all the Green Swallowtails(for Fountain of Youth). I plan on starting a new file in every town, dumping the arboretum and vault in each, and mastering alchemy to get the Alchemic Mastery so I can make more bug maps. Is anyone willing to support me on this?
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline isilweth

• Nooboo
« Reply #695 on: March 05, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
If you are playing with University Life and your Immortal is super-maxing writing, consider Comic Books. They are unlocked immediately, and will complete the skill challenges quickly. One thing to note - they also increase the painting skill (though not as quickly as writing), so are not a great idea if painting is another Immortal's super-max.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #696 on: March 05, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
They only seem to increase painting when you do a ton of them. My writer has some comic books under her belt (10 or so; her main genre is satire), and she has yet to skill up in painting. One of my now-deceased writers wrote dozens of comic books, and only at the end of his career did he start to level up in painting by writing comic books. Street art is a different story, though. They increase the street art skill steadily.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #697 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »
I've had both painting and street art increase when writing comic books at different times on different sims. I *think* it depends on which (or if either) of those two skills are already possessed by the writer sim.

Hannah Jones in my Oids game had a high level of writing and had some painting but no street art, writing comics continued to keep increasing her painting skill. Hannah didn't increase in her street art.

I'm sure I've had a writer sim in the past who wrote comic books and increased their street art skill as well.

Offline Kalagorn

• Nooboo
« Reply #698 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Just wondering, what do you guys think are the best Skills, Professions, LTRs, LTWs etc. etc. for earlier generations? The most useful, easiest, ones to avoid and so on. Would gardening be a good choice for Founder? I'm planning for my founder's profession to be Chef, as I can't think anything more useful.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #699 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
Just wondering, what do you guys think are the best Skills, Professions, LTRs, LTWs etc. etc. for earlier generations? The most useful, easiest, ones to avoid and so on. Would gardening be a good choice for Founder? I'm planning for my founder's profession to be Chef, as I can't think anything more useful.

I have done several attempts where I've gotten to gen 2-3, and I always do cooking first, then gardening, then fishing as the super max skills, as well as letting my founder also max handiness and alchemy (or using a helper for those, it depends).
Careers are just the ones for the skill, cooking, gardener and angler (assuming you have ambitions).

It also depends on which town and which townies you'll be using.

I use a big spreadsheet where I can see every generations stats and I plan ahead and make sure I don't accidentally use something I had planned for a specific heir.

Now, I've never gotten past gen 3, because I had serious computer issues with my laptop, but now that I've moved to a desktop I think I'll be able to finish. So I can't say how well this truly works out long term, but the cooking, gardening and fishing definitely seem easiest and most useful for the first three. Save the harder ones for later when you have more $$ and other benefits.
- Jessica