Author Topic: You know you've played too much Sims when..  (Read 434426 times)

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
Re: You know you've played too much Sims when..
« Reply #885 on: October 13, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
Time is an unstable thing when you live in an alternative world, lol! I know the feeling.
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #886 on: October 13, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
Little Red Riding Hood, is that how it's called in English? How funny, these translations must have gone through deaf people ears because it came here known as simple 'Roodkapje', or 'Red Cap', to translate it back. I like Little Red Riding Hood better.
But where did the 'riding' came from?

Haha Leto, that is what I've heard called a "Blind Idiot" translation--because apparently when you translate the saying "Out of sight, out of mind" from English to Chinese and back, it comes back as "Blind Idiot."

You know you play too much Sims when you are having daily forum binges to fix your need because your game hasn't been working for two weeks...

Aww Donatello, I'm sorry your game is not working! That's the worst!

You know you play too much Sims when you are generations ahead of where you are in your story... ::)
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #887 on: October 13, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I'm never very far ahead of my stories, although I do tend to try to maintain a small edge.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #888 on: October 13, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
I can't help it, I love playing so much, any opportunity I get I play instead of update.

By samoht04

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #889 on: October 13, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
@Blind Idiot: hahahahaha! Hilarious.
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #890 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »
When your internet is  not responding and when you go to bring up your task manager and you hit control+shift+C insteat of control+alt+delete.
 ;D

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #891 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »
When your internet is  not responding and when you go to bring up your task manager and you hit control+shift+C insteat of control+alt+delete.
 ;D

Hahaha, I've been there my friend.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #892 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:57 AM »
Haha Leto, that is what I've heard called a "Blind Idiot" translation--because apparently when you translate the saying "Out of sight, out of mind" from English to Chinese and back, it comes back as "Blind Idiot."
(...)

Fascinating! The Dutch version would be: 'Uit het oog, uit het hart', which litterly translated means 'out of eye, out of heart.' Translate that back and forth one more time (just for the hack of it) and you will end up with: 'from the eye, from the heart', yet it has exactly the same definition as the English version does.
Yeah, it suddenly all makes sense to me now. :(

You've been playing too much sims when you're afraid you're not selected since you're missing the plumbob floating above your head.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #893 on: October 14, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
Hahaha, I've been there my friend.

I just did it a few hours ago, like just before I posted. XD

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #894 on: October 14, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Fascinating! The Dutch version would be: 'Uit het oog, uit het hart', which litterly translated means 'out of eye, out of heart.' Translate that back and forth one more time (just for the hack of it) and you will end up with: 'from the eye, from the heart', yet it has exactly the same definition as the English version does.
Yeah, it suddenly all makes sense to me now. :(

You've been playing too much sims when you're afraid you're not selected since you're missing the plumbob floating above your head.

I think since English and Dutch are both Germanic languages (although English is much more mixed up with other language families) that it makes sense they would be more similar. Chinese, on the other hand--completely different.
Wait, what all makes sense to you? Like, everything?

Wow, do you really do that? I'm feeling an invisible plumbob now you brought it up hahaha.

By samoht04

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #895 on: October 14, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I juts looked up for my plumbob.. It wasn't there. Also, I have multiple times somehow expected there to be an unlimited supply of snacks like in Sims...

Asian language families are far different from Latin-Based, or the Germanics.  What in English would be: What country are you from?  Would be: Which country person are you?  (I don't know how to type with Hangul)
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Chuckles_82

« Reply #896 on: October 14, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
That aspect makes them much easier to learn though. Different counting systems for different types of objects, that's hard though.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #897 on: October 15, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
Sorry, this is perhaps off topic, but reading the posts about translation and mis-translation, the "Blind Idiot" posts reminded me of something we did at school when I was about eleven.  It highlights the complexities of the English Language.  We looked up the definition for "white" then taking the first single word definition given we looked that word up.  Believe it or not after six or seven word searches we got to "black".  The same reversal of meaning can be achieved with many words.  It happens because English has so many words that are subtly different in meaning.  I think, though it is a long time ago, that we used The Greater Oxford Dictionary.

The Riding Hood refered to was a hooded travelling cloak which would have been worn by any ladies when riding a horse or in a carriage.  It was also worn by foot travellers.  It was a very versatile protective outer garment.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #898 on: October 15, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
A famous mis-translation of English into Chinese is a Coke-a-Cola slogun. In English: Coke-a-Cola makes you feel alive! In Chinnese: Coke-a-Cola brings you ansesters back from the dead! And yes, there were lawsuits about that! :D
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
When you finally have enough points to buy the Collection Helper and nearly kill your sim by making them find all of those sweet, sweet alchemy ingredients because you now finally have hope you can supermax their alchemy skill.

anything