Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2975566 times)

Offline ElectricMonk

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #1605 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
Believe it or not I've never used a Sim's cell phone to take a picture. Is the target properly identified as they are with a standard camera? (i.e. spouse/family member, etc?)

I don't think so, but I'm not quite sure.
There is definitely no plug for either the No Photos Legacy or Room Dynasty here. There's a time and a place for plugs, and this is neither.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1606 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
I don't think so, but I'm not quite sure.

If the photo from a cell phone is not properly identified, then no, you cannot use one. Immortals must be properly identified for museum pieces. I'll fire up my game and give you a firm answer.

--------

EDIT: Yep, just did a test and a cell phone does not properly identify anything.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1607 on: December 22, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but a LONG time Sims fan. Yay!
Is it OK to have done my founders YA portrait as a still life, it's still a painting, and I don't have a camera. It takes a LONG time to work up to painting portraits and I'm going to have to rethink who I marry if it *has* to be a portrait, but I would find a way!

Welcome to the forum, Juxtaposition.  I just want to offer a little encouragement.  It is possible to start with a spouse who has no painting, photography or sculpting skills and still get those YA items completed.  I've done it.  As you likely know, finding a camera at the consignment store is a matter of luck, but they do turn up there quite regularly so just keep trying.  Good luck with your dynasty!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Juxtaposition

• Immortal
« Reply #1608 on: December 22, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
Oh, no, not that it's impossible, just with the Sim *I* want to marry.  She's an age category younger, so a teen when we met, but I like her (reminds me of myself), so unless I can move someone else kid onto my lot (*laughs* woo hoo kidnapping!) then she would have about 36 hours to learn to paint and do my portrait... and she's not that good!  ;D

So, do I have to have it be a portrait, it's of him, and it sorta looks portrait-ish, shall I destroy and begin again, with a new lady love?  :-\

Thanks for the welcome, this forum has been an awesome new tier of Sim addiction, and double thanks for the quick response!

PS I don't have the vacation one, just Sims 3, ambitions, and nightlife, so no I have no clue how hard it is to find a camera in the consignment shop  ;)
You can call me Juxt

De D'Onlyn Dynasty
where the party never ends.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1609 on: December 22, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
PS I don't have the vacation one, just Sims 3, ambitions, and nightlife, so no I have no clue how hard it is to find a camera in the consignment shop  ;)

They're pretty common.

Offline Juxtaposition

• Immortal
« Reply #1610 on: December 22, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
First, welcome to the forum. :)

Okay, the portraits need to be bonafide portraits and NOT still-lifes.

*Mwah hah ha ha*  Then it is time to exercise my god-like powers of destruction and begin round 4!
You can call me Juxt

De D'Onlyn Dynasty
where the party never ends.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1611 on: December 22, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
*Mwah hah ha ha*  Then it is time to exercise my god-like powers of destruction and begin round 4!

Ha ha ha. :) Well, if it's any comfort, I'm on my 5th attempt!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #1612 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
They're pretty common.

Is this one of those cases where you don't need the expansion pack to be able to have the items?  Cameras came with World Adventures.  So if someone doesn't have WA, will he still be able to buy cameras?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1613 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Is this one of those cases where you don't need the expansion pack to be able to have the items?  Cameras came with World Adventures.  So if someone doesn't have WA, will he still be able to buy cameras?

Ah, good question. I do not know for sure.

On a different note, I just had my first real bug with my Dynasty game. I got an opportunity for Sporty to travel to China for the Secret Technique op. I sent her there by herself and the China load screen took about 10 minutes. The green bar got 90% of the way there and I just gave up. I had no choice but to force quit the game. Thankfully I had saved the day before, but I'm worried that my game is going to start to give me problems. Just loading the game from the Main Menu and saving at the end takes close to 5 minutes. Ridiculous.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #1614 on: December 22, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
Well I guess my dynasty has been over since it begun then since Apollo's paintings of himself are still life and not "portraits".  This, though, is my one and only attempt as I have put too much into it to start over.  :'(
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1615 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »
Well I guess my dynasty has been over since it begun then since Apollo's paintings of himself are still life and not "portraits".  This, though, is my one and only attempt as I have put too much into it to start over.  :'(

@tj — good for you for sticking with it.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #1616 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
On a different note, I just had my first real bug with my Dynasty game. I got an opportunity for Sporty to travel to China for the Secret Technique op. I sent her there by herself and the China load screen took about 10 minutes. The green bar got 90% of the way there and I just gave up. I had no choice but to force quit the game. Thankfully I had saved the day before, but I'm worried that my game is going to start to give me problems. Just loading the game from the Main Menu and saving at the end takes close to 5 minutes. Ridiculous.

Yeah, you're at the point where your file may start to run slower.  The China loading thing won't necessarily keep happening, though.  My travels are going very well lately.  

I'm really sorry to hear that.  The rules do clearly state "portrait" and say nothing of still life paintings being allowed.  A portrait becomes available at level 7 of the painting skill.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #1617 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that.  The rules do clearly state "portrait" and say nothing of still life paintings being allowed.  A portrait becomes available at level 7 of the painting skill.

...but they don't specifically ban still life and my understanding was if it wasn't specifically banned it was allowed.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #1618 on: December 22, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »
...but they don't specifically ban still life and my understanding was if it wasn't specifically banned it was allowed.

I don't think we should have to ban something that's clearly stated otherwise.  Still life paintings are not portraits.  Just because you can aim the camera at anything (including a Sim) doesn't make it anything other than a still life painting.  Just as we said ice sculptures are allowed in the museum, but we didn't ban stone statues.  They just aren't the same thing, even though both come from sculpting.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #1619 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
I don't think we should have to ban something that's clearly stated otherwise.  Still life paintings are not portraits.  Just because you can aim the camera at anything (including a Sim) doesn't make it anything other than a still life painting.  Just as we said ice sculptures are allowed in the museum, but we didn't ban stone statues.  They just aren't the same thing, even though both come from sculpting.

I didn't know it was possible to sculpt a stone sim sculpture.  Does that get unlocked from an opportunity?