Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 242935 times)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)
« Reply #645 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
I've realized that I worked myself into a corner by putting my Dynasty in permanent Spring when my plants went dormant. Is there a way to build some sort of indoor garden so that my dynasty won't be jeopardized?

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #646 on: October 27, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
You can use the planters, or buy the greenhouse.
- Jessica

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
You can use the planters, or buy the greenhouse.

So there's no way to move the already dormant plants inside?

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #648 on: October 27, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
You can move them in using move objects on, but it sometimes glitches and won't come back. Here's hoping most of them come back for you!

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »
Moving the plants indoors with moveobjects on is usually successful. They might initially be dormant even upon moving them indoors, but that usually clears up after a day. If worse comes to worst and all of your current plants glitch out and there isn't any hope in sight, you could start from scratch and replant the entire garden indoors.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline pugster101

• Supreme lover of pugs
  • Townie
« Reply #650 on: November 09, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
Some tips I learned from attempt one and two-

1. Have your starting sim be a chef, as he/she will have to max cooking to learn ambrosia, and making cooking helps a lot with the cooking career path. Both my first and current attempt have done this.

2. For your cook, have a locked kitchen and only have the fridge accessible to other sims. That way you can easily prevent a sim maxing cooking by mistake.

3. Follow 2, give each of your immortals a locked room for just their super max. My chef has her kitchen and my scientist has an indoor garden with a giant collection of fish bowls.

4. Have your spouses learn painting and paint pictures of your immortals. This is much easier then having your sim trying to do a self portrait.

5. Don't try for baby until you or your spouse can paint a portrait of them.
The Outcast Immortal Dynasty: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18970.0.html
The Dreamer LS Speed Run: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18639.0.html

We're off to see the Metro, the wonderful Metro Of Man!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #651 on: November 09, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
As for number four, you kind of have to have a mortal do a portrait for your founder, at the very least, since self-portraits aren't eligible for the museum. :P Eligible portraits involve someone else painting your immortal with the "Paint Portrait of..." option. Nothing else.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
Into the Future Skills discussion
« Reply #652 on: November 09, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
I wanted to put this down somewhere as everyone is going to be going crazy about the last expansion, Into the Future. I sure am, I tried it a few times(my computer hates The Sims 3 and I get bugs galore  :'( ) and love it. Now, I know that using this expansion in an Immortal Dynasty is difficult since you cannot visit Oasis Landing right away due to the rules, but the skills can be learned in the present. Here are some warnings about choosing the Into the Future skills for a super-max:

Bot-Building

Not recommended for a founder supermax because one of the skill challenges requires you to earn tips from tuning up Plumbots and you cannot simply do it to your own Plumbots because the rules ban you from owning them. Also, the Micro-Master challenge requires you to craft over 1000 simoleons in Nanites  The last challenge is easy, it's like Menu Maven for Bot Building.

Advanced Technology

DO BE AWARE that this skill is like Charisma - if you keep doing stuff with advanced tech, you'll automatically level this skill. So if you have someone supermax this skill, you'll have to create a dungeon for that person alone because nobody else can use wavecarvers, holodiscs, or even food synthesizers without mastering this skill.

If you want to supermax this skill regardless, you'll need to relegate the holodiscs to spares and spouses or go to Oasis Landing to get the Catch 'Em All challenge. The  Synthesized challenge is easy - buy 20 food synthesizers and program them. Digital Dreamer is down to luck since half of them involve other skills. You'll have to be VERY careful not to let your heir touch a skill object until the dream moodlet has passed if they dream about a workout/logic/etc.

Laser Rhythm-o-con

I'll give the same advice I'd give for all other instruments - if you have this as super-max, get ready to have your heir spend his entire childhood and teen years locked in a room away from all other skilling objects! Yep, it has the same three skill challenges that all the other instruments have. PHAIL.  >:(
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
I think you're allowed to at least tune them up and then sell them. I did that with my previous attempt and no one said I wasn't allowed to.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #654 on: November 18, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »
I guess we'll have to get back with old Metro on the creating and selling Plumbots then. Still, I wouldn't create Plumbots at all.

Also, there is a very evil bug I have had recently with opportunities - the phone rings for an opportunity but when I answer it, the Sim immediately rejects it with the fingers in ears gesture before the opportunity pops up. I should have gotten the Uncommonly Good opportunity but did not. So I think any Dynasty requiring opportunities should not be done with ITF until EA releases a patch to fix this. I have had to use a mod to trigger the opportunities. I am going to uninstall ITF and bench it until EA releases a patch. Just a warning for anyone doing an immortal dynasty and thinking of using ITF - don't install it until your Dynasty is finished.  :-\
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #655 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
That has been really annoying but luckily I have managed my 6 blackops.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #656 on: November 19, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
It's actually quite possible to play a stylist in an immortal dynasty without nixing too many people from the potential spouse/roommate/best friend pool. Save it for your painter. They can just Research New Fashion Concepts and get two out of three all painting challenges out of the way (sketches can be brilliant; I've never had a sketch count as a masterpiece just saw a sketch count towards the masterpiece count, so never mind!). My second generation got by with that and making over elderly, generic sims who I don't want in my gene pool anyways. He maxed the profession with one day to elderhood, and I could have done it sooner if I focused on his work more.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #657 on: November 19, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
You can still have opportunities with ITF, as long as they are career opportunities. Also, 1 working skill providing skill opportunities is Laser Rhythm-a-con. I've only gotten two, but they exist.

Offline Crazylittleloon

• Occult
  • Ruining your childhood since 1995
« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:44 AM »
- Befriend NPCs. As long as they aren't in your household, they never die. In my first ever dynasty, my founder had an encounter with a bunch of NPCs, and then a day or so after generation six was born I took a look at her relationships panel, and guess what? All the NPCs from when she was a young adult were still alive. I've also noticed this going on in my current dynasty when Elisabeth was trying to invite a bunch of NPCs over, all of the NPCs from when you first load Riverview were all elderly, but still kicking.

- Befriend professors at University. They don't die either, Tatiana has been friends with her professor since she was an adult, and the professor is still an adult while Tatiana has been immortal for a while.

- Go easy on recoloring outfits. It sucks up a lot of memory and was the downfall of my first dynasty attempt (the file can only last for about fifteen minutes before it crashes, even in windowed mode). Try not to have more than one of each catagory, as well. I'm at the same point in my current dynasty as I was when my first crashed and burned, and so far my current dynasty is running as well as it was when I first started

- Don't be afraid to splurge if you have a lot of funds you don't know what to do with. Make everything in the house top-quality, buy everyone a second sports car, buy multiple vacation houses, get lots of heart-shaped gem cuts to display, eat out for every meal...your Sims are filthy rich, enjoy it to the biggest extent

- Monitor the elders as they watch TV. If they don't have any skill points in, say, cooking, and they watch Cookin' Cable, nothing will happen, but if they accidentally get a point they'll start learning from the TV. Have everyone watch the shopping channel or get a low-quality TV.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
I've actually gotten death notices for professors that my sims befriended.

Related to the spending money tip, do you want your immortals to constantly bathe in a 75+ moodlet, but without needing ambrosia every single week? Simple! Feed them ambrosia every two weeks! One week is spent with the 75+ Divine Meal moodlet, the other is spent with the Completely at Ease moodlet from the spa. Once that moodlet runs out, time for ambrosia again. With that, you won't have to refresh the food replicators as often as I had to when I fed my immortals ambrosia once a week simply because I like good moodlets. Plus, expensive spa packages are just wonderful for spending the millions you'll inevitably have.

Also, avoid giving your immortals tattoos straight after ambrosia. For some reason, it always adds days to my immortals' ages when they get tattoos right after their meal, and what's the point of that?