Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2972503 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
Happy Birthday, Kilwala! :) Yeah, Pam needs to weigh in on this as it's clearly affecting numerous players. I don't want to be the bad guy here, everyone. I want to keep the peace and make as many players happy as I can while still looking at the big picture.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »
I have deleted all my cc and will start over too.  I am sorry for any problems I have caused, and for any illwill that may have resulted.    Speaking for myself,though, when I see that your challenge rules state "no cheats or modifications"  I do not (did not) consider cc as a mod.  Twinmum stated the same thing on my story thread.  I only say this because I do feel that it does need to be made clearer because some people consider cc and mods to be two different things.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kilwala

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
Happy Birthday, Kilwala! :)

Thank you! :)
Speaking for myself,though, when I see that your challenge rules state "no cheats or modifications"  I do not (did not) consider cc as a mod.  Twinmum stated the same thing on my story thread.  I only say this because I do feel that it does need to be made clearer because some people consider cc and mods to be two different things.

I considered them different too, so it's not just you.  Changing things around will be all right though! :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »
I have deleted all my cc and will start over too.  I am sorry for any problems I have caused, and for any illwill that may have resulted.

Oh, my gosh, no simfulicious. No ill will is felt at all. You did absolutely nothing wrong and I appreciate you being honest. Please do not restart. There is absolutely no reason for you to lose all of that time you have already invested.

Speaking for myself,though, when I see that your challenge rules state "no cheats or modifications"  I do not (did not) consider cc as a mod.

Well, you're modifying hair styles right? But, I can see your point (and Twinmum's).

I only say this because I do feel that it does need to be made clearer because some people consider cc and mods to be two different things.

Fair enough. I will make things more clear in the rules. Look for an edit in the next few minutes.

-------

EDIT: Okay, everyone. I added the ruling. Look under Setting Up Your Dynasty. There should be no confusion now. But, as I mentioned, I'll probably lighten up on this whole issue for the 2011 Tournament and cover it in the global rule set that I intend on producing. But, this year, there needs to be consistency with existing challenges and the Dynasty.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
It's ok Metro, I have already started over, and I plan on doing only one dynasty this time.  I have changed themes, as well.  Look for my new story soon, though it may be slow going as my mother is coming to town this Friday and my sim time is about to shrink while she's here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:39 PM »
So Metro, is it enough to just not use the CC or do we need to treat it like mods and remove it? I did say that I would think twice if I had to remove it each time I switched between challenge games and casual games, but I got to thinking how much I play and how much of that time is devoted to various challenge games and I figure I won't be doing much switching lol.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
So Metro, is it enough to just not use the CC or do we need to treat it like mods and remove it?

Oh, just making the decision to not use it is fine with me. I trust everyone to not use custom content. So, if it's on your system, just make the decision to not use it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:12 PM »
To clarify, Metro, when you say no CC I am assuming you mean no third party CC?  Stuff bought from the EA store is allowable?  This is the way it has been in other challenges.  No third party, (i.e. exchange items), but bought from EA store or freebies, such as the Dr. Pepper or Prius items, or items garnered free from EA are acceptable.  Right?

Thanks so much for clarifying the spa thing.  I WAS thinking specifically of the basic spa treatments so glad I'll be able to use them and my dresser.

Since I just finished my Da Vinci quest, I definitely am going to give this a shot.  Practice first and then jump in.  I'm not very good at strategy and am horrible at record keeping but will give it a good shot as I think that will be one of the more challenging, and learning, aspects of it.  And it's a relaxed challenge!! YAYYY!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »
To clarify, Metro, when you say no CC I am assuming you mean no third party CC?  Stuff bought from the EA store is allowable?  This is the way it has been in other challenges.  No third party, (i.e. exchange items), but bought from EA store or freebies, such as the Dr. Pepper or Prius items, or items garnered free from EA are acceptable.  Right?

Definitely. Any official EA stuff is legit to use. And when I say CC, that's synonymous with anything not created by EA.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
Except patterns, right? We can use patterns from the exchange to vary the fabric and wallcovering selection? Those have been used in at least a couple of dynasties I've seen.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
Items that are downloaded from the Exchange are supposed to be safe.  They aren't considered mods or third party CC until there's something bad found, like the nude clothing and the doll.  A lot of the patterns are made with the new Create A Pattern tool, so I don't have a problem with that sort of thing.  We advise caution when downloading from the Exchange because of the potential problems, but it's not banned at all.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #416 on: September 02, 2010, 02:20:00 AM »
I just want to say to anyone who is worried or hesitant to play this challenge because of all the restrictions and requirements that I hope you'll give it a shot.  My second generation has just aged to young adult and I feel like the whole challenge is well under control.  It was hard at the start because there was very little money, but even then it worked out alright and my founder looked for creative ways to keep herself fed and sleeping in a bed.  My strategy has been to mostly only plan one generation at a time.  Eight generations of planning all at once is overwhelming, but if you just plan pieces of it at a time, you'll find it's not so bad.  Metro and I are very different players and his strategy is much different than mine.  He's never played a family with this many generations, so it's very different for him.  If it works for him to plot everything out for all the generations, that's great.  But everyone else doesn't necessarily have to do that.  Don't try to manage your game based on what someone else does, unless you happen to find something that really helps you.  But really, just relax and enjoy the challenge.  I was nervous at first, too, but once I got going and saw that these things really aren't impossible, I started to relax and enjoy the game.

I just hope everyone is having fun with it and will spread the word around the intertubes that Carl's Sims 3 has a great Dynasty challenge that everyone MUST play!  Thanks to everyone for picking our brains and helping us get these rules finely tuned.  Have fun!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
Like many others, I didn't (and still don't) consider CC a cheat or modification. 'Mod' is a very specific term that refers to a patch or set of files that alters key areas of gameplay. CAS items are not mods.

If the 'no cheats or modifications' is supposed to have covered CC then I guess I should be disqualified from this year's tournament and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've been around the community since Sims 1 and custom content has always been a huge part of the game, whether its unofficial like in Sims 1 & 3 or supported by the developers as in Sims 2. Just the handful it items I created for Sims 3 (20) have gotten over 200k downloads on TSR.

I will continue to play my dynasty for my own enjoyment and post my story elsewhere

Offline Kilwala

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Pam! :)

SimmerAtHeart96

« Reply #419 on: September 02, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
My first family for the Dynasty was a flop. I'm horrible at strategies, I kind of just jumped in without thinking it through first. Now they're just a family, and I'm going to start over. I'm wiser now, though :D!
Thanks Pam, for your tips. They'll help a lot. :)
Oh, I'm so glad this is in your own time. That takes pressure off.
I'm looking forward to starting my family. I absolutely love playing The Sims 3 and all its challenges!!! ;D

-Elice-

anything