Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2942155 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #420 on: September 02, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
Like many others, I didn't (and still don't) consider CC a cheat or modification. 'Mod' is a very specific term that refers to a patch or set of files that alters key areas of gameplay. CAS items are not mods.

If the 'no cheats or modifications' is supposed to have covered CC then I guess I should be disqualified from this year's tournament and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Nancy, that's crazy. No one is going to disqualify you. Part of this whole problem sits squarely with me. I have never specifically mentioned Custom Content in Tournament rule sets. So, that's my bad. I suppose it has always been implied because of the forum-wide stance on the risks of using CC. So, if you've used CC in the past in challenges, do not worry about it.

@Pam, very well said advice. There's no single "right" way to approach this monster of a challenge.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »
Before I have a mob of angry women show up at my door holding "We Want CC" signs, let me think about this a little while longer. The firm stand I took yesterday was primarily to mirror the forum's very cautioned stance on using any kind of 3rd party CC. But, I don't want players thinking me irrational and upset at me either and as long as everyone is made aware of the risks in using CC, then I think we should be okay. Let me think of the wording I want to use to clearly differentiate between CC and mods and I will update the rules later.

I apologize for flip-flopping on this, everyone.  :P

----------

Okay, here are the relevant rules as they stand now:

• No cheats or modifications* are allowed.
  • *Modifications are patches that alter some component of gameplay.
  • 3rd party Custom Content that alters appearance such as skin tone or hairstyles, etc. is not considered a modification of the game and can be used at the player's own risk.

Is everyone okay with this?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
I presume Pam is ok with this too ? I guess she is, as you wouldn't dare allow the use of cc genetics/clothes in this challenge without consulting with her right ? ;D

Pam trusts me. She's probably snoozing at the moment so I didn't have a chance to ask her. If she had been online then I certainly would have. I woke up this morning and saw all the new issues players had and the new posts and really felt I had no choice but to make an executive decision right here and now.

EDIT: From an Administrative perspective the most important portion of the new rule that players cannot take lightly is the wording use at your own risk. So, players using CC in their Dynasty need to be fully aware of the inherent dangers in using some CC. Just because I'm allowing CC in the Dynasty, that does not reduce or change the position of the forum on CC — we really do not encourage it. Mods are a different animal altogether and the last couple of days has certainly been an educational experience for me in grasping from many players the difference between the two. So, that's a good thing.

Alright, back your Dynasties, everyone. Have fun!

Solstice

« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
EDIT: From an Administrative perspective the most important portion of the new rule that players cannot take lightly is the wording use at your own risk. So, players using CC in their Dynasty need to be fully aware of the inherent dangers in using some CC.

Yes I agree with this Metro, as mentioned in simfu's thread, it is at the player's own risk to use CC. Some CC are bad, some are not. At the end of the day, most players in the community know what's entailed in using cc (and modifications) because most creators give enough information about their cc, including information that they think/know may cause conflict with one's game. It's only lazy or bad creators that release their cc to the community without play testing it first and/or giving enough information about their cc. Thankfully, as the simming community has developed over the years, bad cc is in the minority, due to the vast array of information/tutorials that can now be had from the community about creating your own custom content.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
It is funny, I was just telling Metro in an IM, that I had tried to download a sim from the exchange and a notice came up about something and I can't remember.  Anyway, I finally checked around and someone said that you can't download sims that had different skins or hair without some kind of a mesh or mod.  So that was no big deal, so I continued my playing.  When I went into accessories, I noticed a new line and when I clicked on it, it was fingernail polish.  I could not figure out where I got it and finally someone told me, I must have gotten bits and pieces from that sim I tried to download and I think I got some makeup too, but it is hideous, so I don't use it.  That is my only experience with CC.  I
guess I was just never interested enough to download the mesh for other things.  I do know that there are some gorgeous hairstyles out there and will be looking forward to seeing what you guys do with your sims in your stories.  Good luck and have fun, thanks to Metro and all of the suggestions put out there.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
LOL Metro I may be a woman myself but I am the opposite my home is filled with men/boys. LOL In a house with 8 there are only 3 girls! Needless to say you might like it here! And back when our house was only 5 like yours is! I was then the only girl! So I definitely know the surrounded feeling and just make them happy! But I am sure making girls happy is alot more difficult then making boys happy! As my two girls are a pain! LOL

Pam, I fully intend to do this but want to get some of my challenges more on track first. I typically only do one challenge at a time because I always forget to challenge the settings for short to long or whatever so it is easier to stick with one challenge at a time. But from what I have read of you and your gaming style I am alot like you. So I will definitely keep in mind the way you do things. Just wish I had a way to download your spreadsheet! Hopefully we will be getting Excel soon! My husband gets all that from school for like $25! So we get it for really cheap! But I think he wants the new 2010 stuff they have out anyone know if the spreadsheet will work with that?

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »
You don't need excel - google spreadsheets is free to anyone with a google account (which is also free). If you just go to File->Make a Copy you have your very own version to modify.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
@momofmany: I highly recommend Open Office, the free alternative. The spreadsheet downloads fine to mine.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Kilwala

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #428 on: September 02, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
:) Thanks, Metro!  I'll have to update my Dynasty now as I have lots of back screenshots and my third generation had nearly reached young adult.  I am extremely relieved CC is allowed, as I'd been using a custom skintone as a default, and removing my CC (well, just moving it to a temporary different folder on my CC) changed the skins of many of my Sims to a pure black color, which I couldn't fix :/ so I indeed was just going to start over because of that.

Hooray for prettier sims (at my own risk) ;)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
You don't need excel - google spreadsheets is free to anyone with a google account (which is also free). If you just go to File->Make a Copy you have your very own version to modify.
Didn't know that. Thanks!

@momofmany: I highly recommend Open Office, the free alternative. The spreadsheet downloads fine to mine.
Thanks! If my husband didn't plan on getting Excel and all that anyways I would definitely do that but since he is going to get it I might as well just wait as to not put too much on my computer. After all it is already about 3 or 4 years old! And who knows when we will be able to get a new one.

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #430 on: September 02, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »
I actually have a couple of questions.

First, it says we're not allowed to replace a statue/painting/photo in the museum later - does that mean we're only allowed 1 shot at the portraits etc or does it mean that once we've placed it in the museum it stays. ie - can you do 3 portraits and pick the one you like best for the museum or does it have to be the 1st that you put in?

The other question and I'm sure it must have been asked but I couldn't find it - the unique LTRs can there be overlap so long as each immortal has a 3 unique ones or can there be no overlap at all. eg. If my gen 1 immortal has No Bills Ever, Suave Seller and Super Greenthumb as her unique LTRs but also has Steel Bladder, can other Immortals have Steel Bladder (so long as they also have 3 that are unique to them?)

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #431 on: September 02, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
I actually have a couple of questions.

First, it says we're not allowed to replace a statue/painting/photo in the museum later - does that mean we're only allowed 1 shot at the portraits etc or does it mean that once we've placed it in the museum it stays. ie - can you do 3 portraits and pick the one you like best for the museum or does it have to be the 1st that you put in?

You're free to do as many paintings/photos/sculptures of each stage as you wish before placing the object in the museum. Once an object is placed in the museum, that's it.

The other question and I'm sure it must have been asked but I couldn't find it - the unique LTRs can there be overlap so long as each immortal has a 3 unique ones or can there be no overlap at all. eg. If my gen 1 immortal has No Bills Ever, Suave Seller and Super Greenthumb as her unique LTRs but also has Steel Bladder, can other Immortals have Steel Bladder (so long as they also have 3 that are unique to them?)

Yes. It's the same concept as the BlackOps, skills, and Best Friends — there can be cross over and duplication of skills, opportunities and LTR, but each immortal must have the required number of unique "things" before eating Ambrosia.

Offline Storyteller

• Llama Wrangler
  • Life is a story. How you tell it matters.
« Reply #432 on: September 02, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question.  I know we are not allowed to use cheats, but can we use moveobjects on to place decor?  Like flowers and stuff?  If not, that's perfectly fine by me.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #433 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question.  I know we are not allowed to use cheats, but can we use moveobjects on to place decor?  Like flowers and stuff?  If not, that's perfectly fine by me.

Let's just say no, okay? Otherwise it's one more exception to the rule set.

Offline Storyteller

• Llama Wrangler
  • Life is a story. How you tell it matters.
« Reply #434 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
Ok, Metro.  Sorry.   :(