Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2979578 times)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #780 on: September 20, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
The couple of sims that I have had that went on vacation were married and ended up with kids.  Try explaining that one to wifey or husband, lol.  I had a sim come back from vacation, a few days later, he had a child and when I looked again, because I wanted to chat with said child, mother, child and grandfather were gone from friends list.  I guess they left the country because of the shame, lol.  It was just weird.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #781 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »
Sooo, now she has maxed fishing and gardening am I right in believing no other mortal may supermax either one of these?
If so, I think I will just supermax one of them, though I was hoping to super the cooking one. 

Mortals can max any skill.  It's not connected to the immortals supermaxing at all.  Did you mean to say no other immortal may supermax either one?  If so, you are correct.  If a skill is maxed by an immortal, it cannot be supermaxed by any other immortal.

Since there are other fishing ones, like perfect aquarium and other garden ones, perfect again, would my maxing out the basic skill prevent other immortals from choosing one of these to supermax or have as a LTW?  I really thought I understood the whole max/supermax and black ops thing.

As I said above, if an immortal has maxed a skill, no other immortal can supermax it.  All supermax skills have to be unique.  As for using the fishing/gardening Lifetime Wishes, it would be difficult to complete the LTW without maxing the related skill.  However, if you choose either fishing or gardening as your founder's supermax skill, another immortal can do the LTW related to the other skill.  But he would still need a unique supermax skill because the skill related to the LTW has already been maxed by the founder.  For example, you choose gardening as your founder's supermax skill.  Then Justin chooses the Perfect Aquarium LTW.  He can go as far as he wants with fishing because it's not your founder's supermax.  He would still have to choose a unique skill to supermax for himself, though.  Maybe cooking or logic.  Anything that hasn't already been supermaxed.

It will get more complicated as you get further into your Dynasty.  You'll have to start thinking about careers that don't need skills that have already been supermaxed.  If a later immortal accidently maxes a skill that has already been supermaxed, the Dynasty is finished.  It will become a juggling act to get everyone the right traits to trigger the LTW that needs skills that are available.  It's also a good idea to have some thoughts about which skills they can all max.  For example, in my Dynasty family, Charisma is maxed by all of the immortals (or it will be).  That's a skill that can never be used as a supermax, but anyone in the family can have it to help get the best friends requirement.

I'm playing this as I go.  I don't have all eight immortals' lives mapped out.  I don't even have the next generation figured out yet.  But I know the game pretty well and I hope I can keep everything on track.  It's just way too much of a headache for me to plan all eight generations up front, although I know many members are playing that way.  They may end up doing better than me because of it.  But I intend to go forward as I've been playing.  :D
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #782 on: September 20, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
It will become a juggling act to get everyone the right traits to trigger the LTW that needs skills that are available. 

Since so many people are playing this challenge, this would be an excellent time to compare notes and somehow organize that information into some sort of table for all our use in general. Which trait combinations trigger which LTWs. I don't think I've ever seen this in a concise reference format.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #783 on: September 20, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
Since so many people are playing this challenge, this would be an excellent time to compare notes and somehow organize that information into some sort of table for all our use in general. Which trait combinations trigger which LTWs. I don't think I've ever seen this in a concise reference format.

We've got the traits page on the Guide that may help.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #784 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Mortals can max any skill.  It's not connected to the immortals supermaxing at all.  Did you mean to say no other immortal may supermax either one?  If so, you are correct.  If a skill is maxed by an immortal, it cannot be supermaxed by any other immortal.

Yeah, I meant immortal.  Thanks. 

So it can't be supermaxed but it can be maxed?  Like Justin can max perfect aquarium even though Winter has maxed fishing but not supermaxed it?  Yet, if she supermaxes it he can't?

I'm just going to have re-read everything on skills and LTW again.

Also, what is the difference between a career and a profession?  There are LTR that mention career and LTR that mention profession, (Entrepreneurial Mindset, for instance).

I'm definitely going to have to keep her out of the garden and away from the fishing.  She already has maxed both though, unfortunately.  If I can get up to Omni plant her stash of Lifefruit and Deathfish should be enough for all gens.

I don't remember how it is in SV but in RV you can only catch deathfish at night and only after a ghost has passed by in the graveyard. At that time the water around where the deathfish spawns turns pink and you can go to town catching one after another.  Without the pink water you only get those red fish and maybe a vampire fish or two.  It's not really totally pink.  It's like a pink fog over the water in just that spot.  I don't recall that fog in the SV graveyard nor having to wait for a ghost to show up, although there were plenty of them hanging around in SV.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #785 on: September 20, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
So it can't be supermaxed but it can be maxed?  Like Justin can max perfect aquarium even though Winter has maxed fishing but not supermaxed it?  Yet, if she supermaxes it he can't?

You don't max Perfect Aquarium. You'd choose Perfect Aquarium. It's a LTW, not a skill. If Winter has maxed fishing, then Justin cannot choose fishing as his SuperMax skill because it would not be unique to him.

Also, what is the difference between a career and a profession?  There are LTR that mention career and LTR that mention profession, (Entrepreneurial Mindset, for instance).

For the purposes of the requirement to eat Ambrosia, there's no difference between a rabbit-hole career or a self-employed profession — all you need to do is hit level 10 of either one.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #786 on: September 20, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
One think you might want to do Joria, is think about which of those skills you might want others to help your Founder out with.  One reason I decided not to have anyone SuperMax Gardening was because it's kind of nice to have more than one sim to help out with that particular task.  Or you might think cooking is a good thing for anyone to be able to do, then don't supermax it.  Either way it sounds like you will end up maxing out all three skills, even if one of them is your SuperMax.

Here's a tip that might be helpful with the art work: One thing I do is I name the art for what it actually is so that I can keep better track of it in my inventory until it gets hung on a wall.  For example, I'll name a masterpiece painting of Alpha Nesbit "Alpha Nesbit (Masterpiece Adult)".  This comes in handy when I'm still trying to paint/sculpt a better piece.  So that when I have a question about it the info is all there in the title and I don't have to hover my cursor over it to find out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #787 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
One think you might want to do Joria, is think about which of those skills you might want others to help your Founder out with. 

So, are you saying no one else can do ANY gardening, cooking or fishing?
I mean, it could help a lot if someone fished just for the refrigerator or for fertilizer without making it a max thing, same thing with gardening.  Nice to have others weed or such.  As for cooking, she'll be a 5 Star Chef so it's really pointless for any of the others to ever cook.  She'll have that super frig and maybe can even get the replicator.

Great tip!  I never bothered naming my art but that is an excellent way to keep track.  So far I do not have a museum but have scattered pictures around the house.

I've spent most of the day rereading a lot on skills, LTW, LTR, careers and professions and am beginning to feel like I will never catch up or be able to really successfully win ANY challenge.  I'm at the point where I want to just print out everything in the guide so I can read it more easily.  My bad vision makes it very difficult to read on the computer screen.  Can't get it close enough to my eyes! lol

However, I've decided that even though I've managed to mess up a ton of possible future things for my immortals to do, there are still a lot left.  Hopefully enough left. Justin right now has his dad's artistic and virtuoso traits but he's just a toddler.  What was interesting to me was when he aged up from baby he immediately left his party and headed for the books on his bedroom floor, all on his own.  It's fascinating listening to the toddlers read, and watching them is definitely a bunch of Kodak moments.  So with those two traits I think I'll need to read up about them in particular and see what else I can mess up with music and art.  Seriously, I think I'm really going to have to plan on at least one gen ahead each time.  I'm thinking gen3 will do something with writing since there really are only two career paths for that skill and I had being a reporter.

I just wish Metro would get an "easy button" for one of his challenges!  lol  Just my lazy self talking, Metro.  Your challenges are awesome. 

I still don't understand what the general differences between career and profession are.

----------
My No Buy Story

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #788 on: September 20, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
So, are you saying no one else can do ANY gardening, cooking or fishing?

If one immortal maxed any of these skills, then all it means is that another immortal could not SuperMax those skills.

I just wish Metro would get an "easy button" for one of his challenges!  lol  Just my lazy self talking, Metro.  Your challenges are awesome.

Ha ha. Thank you. Once you get into the swing of things, your Dynasty will be much easier. It's quite tough in the beginning. It's supposed to be.  

I still don't understand what the general differences between career and profession are.
Just differentiate between self-employment and standard rabbit-hole careers. You now have the option for a self-employed to Sim to register at City Hall for one of numerous professions — painting, writing, sculpting, inventing, etc. Though now that I think about it, I think the wording of the wish you get is "Join the x career." So, the bottom line is — it's all careers.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #789 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »

When Ambitions was released with all of the new jobs, the game was calling them Professions.  The rabbit hole jobs had been referred to as Careers.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #790 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
I have 2 big question marks above my head,
First, my founder doesn't get the option to sculpt metal sculptures, he maxed it (his supermax is cooking but he was supposed to be the dynasty sculptor too). Anyway, other sims with high enough skill have that option but he doesn't and he cant get that Master Sculptor challenge without it. Not shore how it is possible and has anyone have similar experience?

Second problem is more disturbing, my second generation heir just grew up into young adult and I could chose only one more trait - 4 in total, with that empty space. Even random button gave him only that one trait, and he was elated almost all the time (not that it should make a difference). Now he is YA with just 4 traits, and game is still playable but I'm loosing all the joy with this. Any suggestions?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #791 on: September 21, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
Thanks, Pam and Metro.

Ok, here's where I stand at the moment.  I have one foot wavering over the "do over" line, and one solidly planted, (but starting to wobble severely), over the "forget about it, no way you are starting over", line.
I've been doing my homework.  I'm cursed/blessed with being a perfectionist.  The reason my five star chef wannabe is struggling is because I really did not choose the right traits to make her zoom to the top in that career so she had all kinds of time and things to do with gardening and fishing and very little to do with cooking. She is close to aging to elder and needs to make that goal before then.  She also has a hard time making friends. Only, she has this handsome and adorable son who is on the right track for some sort of artistic/music type career.  There is so much open to him.  At the moment he is a child and has Virtuoso, Artistic and Genius traits.  He COULD go with Illustrative Writer, Movie Music Composer, (I hate the rock star track and prefer symphonic), or some sort of painting career.  I've been watching him and he seems, on his own, to do the right and necessary things before things get critical.  His parents will just stand around looking stupid as their bars go red.  As a toddler he left his birthday party to go read.  As a child he left his birthday party, didn't even eat a slice of cake, and started his first painting.  So, I want some advice.  I probably can finish her up in time, and if I don't it's a do-over anyway, but should I continue to take the time with this struggle, considering she has basically ruined two good career tracks, (fishing and gardening), or just bag it and build her the way I now believe she should go?  Second place I need advice is with Justin.  IF I stick with the current Winter Thyme, what do I do with Justin?  I don't want to make it impossible for future immortals to be able to do their maxing/supermaxing thing.  Is there something you can supermax that has totally nothing to do with any other skill or LTW, so I could possibly rescue someone further down the road?

----------
My No Buy Story

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #792 on: September 21, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
I have 2 big question marks above my head,
First, my founder doesn't get the option to sculpt metal sculptures,he max it (his supermax is cooking but he was supposed to be the dynasty sculptor too). Anyway, other sims with high enough skill have that option but he doesn't and he cant get that Master Sculptor challenge without it. not shore how it is possible and has anyone have similar experience?

I'm guessing the answer there is simple — make sure he has scrap in his personal inventory.

Second problem is more disturbing, my second generation heir just grew up into young adult  and I could chose only one more trait - 4 in total, with that empty space. Even random button gave him only that one trait, and he was elated almost all the time (not that it should make a difference). Now he is YA with just 4 traits, and game is still playable but I'm loosing all the joy with this. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a bug. YA with 4 traits has come up before. I'll allow you to reset that particular Sim to see if that works.

@Joria — As everyone knows, I'm a diehard perfectionist as well. At some point you just have to grit your teeth and stick to something or you'll have great difficulty ever finishing your Dynasty. However, if you have big time regrets with some decisions you made and the game is no longer enjoyable, by all means, can it and start over. It's all about having fun.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #793 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Thanks, Metro.  About that YA bug Anushka mentioned.  Shouldn't you get two traits to choose for a child when they age up and you have the thing about being such good parents?  Right now Justin has 3 traits and I could have sworn it should have been 4.  Am I wrong?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #794 on: September 21, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
Metro, none in household had a scrap in inventory, and he doesn't even had the greyed option for it, he never did. But his wife and son both could sculpt metal sculptures without any problems.

I think Kaylynn Langerak had only tree traits as YA, and now as adult she has four (I checked it in family tree). I guess it happens, but just when I was happy since everything was going smooth so far..

I never tried reseting sim so I'll search about it a little and let you know if that work, OK?

anything