Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2941507 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #795 on: September 21, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Thanks, Metro.  About that YA bug Anushka mentioned.  Shouldn't you get two traits to choose for a child when they age up and you have the thing about being such good parents?

For my 2nd generation Man (Sound Man) when he was born I could only pick 1 trait where I thought I was able to pick 2. Pam explained it could have been something as simple as not putting Bella to bed in time and letting her get too tired. Indeed that happened one night. Only one, but that must have done it. So, similarly, you possibly did not meet a requirement the game has for picking both traits. If you're not getting the option to choose both traits then I'm guessing the Toddler did not learn all 3 skills as a Toddler.

Metro, none in household had a scrap in inventory, and he doesn't even had the greyed option for it, he never did. But his wife and son both could sculpt metal sculptures without any problems.

Well, obviously someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought scrap in inventory was a requirement to sculpt a metal sculpture. Or is it just that if you do have scrap in inventory, then there's no cost? That might be it.

I never tried reseting sim so I'll search about it a little and let you know if that work, OK?

OK. Just go to the technical board and you'll see the Sticky on how to do it.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #796 on: September 21, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
Thanks, Metro.  About that YA bug Anushka mentioned.  Shouldn't you get two traits to choose for a child when they age up and you have the thing about being such good parents?  Right now Justin has 3 traits and I could have sworn it should have been 4.  Am I wrong?

They have 2 traits when they're born, another trait when they become a child, another when they age up to teenager, and the fifth and final trait when they become a young adult.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #797 on: September 21, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
Thanks, Metro.  About that YA bug Anushka mentioned.  Shouldn't you get two traits to choose for a child when they age up and you have the thing about being such good parents?  Right now Justin has 3 traits and I could have sworn it should have been 4.  Am I wrong?

Joria, we posted at same time and I didn't see your post, I'm sorry. I had 3 traits with a child sim, and next choice was when he aged from teen into YA and all 5 lines were showed, but I could chose one and all become greyed out with 5th line empty. As for the story, I'll probably start over if I were you, but if you are too attached to this story try writing down all 15 skills and try to rearrange the plan. Good luck!

PS Metro, yes, one sculpture costs I think 500 scraps not $ and if you have that much scraps in inventory it is free :)

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #798 on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »

Well, obviously someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought scrap in inventory was a requirement to sculpt a metal sculpture. Or is it just that if you do have scrap in inventory, then there's no cost? That might be it.

You're right, they have to have scrap in their inventory.  Without scrap, they will not have the option to sculpt in metal.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #799 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
You're right, they have to have scrap in their inventory.  Without scrap, they will not have the option to sculpt in metal.

I thought so. But, actually if you think about it, it's inconsistent with the cost of other materials. If you want clay, ice, stone, wood, or topiary, you just wave the magic wand, and the material appears on the sculpting station. It's certainly easy enough to obtain the scrap. I'm just saying it seems inconsistent in a way. Of course, there's no way to obtain the other materials in the town so that's a big difference too.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #800 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
Shipperke, so I missed that one when he grew from child into teenager!?
I haven't played with kids in household so I have no idea how it works, and now it seems too late :(

And I have never collect nor bought scraps but never encounter this problem before? In dynasty none in household has ever touched any scrap and still mortal finished 5 metal sculptures without any problem so I'm shore sim don't have to have scraps in inventory.

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #801 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
And I have never collect nor bought scraps but never encounter this problem before? In dynasty none in household has ever touched any scrap and still mortal finished 5 metal sculptures without any problem so I'm shore sim don't have to have scraps in inventory.

There's a sculpting challenge where after you create 30 or so statues you can sculpt free of charge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #802 on: September 21, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
I second what Tommy has said about the sculpting challenge, once you get that challenge done you can sculpt anything for free including metal.

As for the traits thing, if you do a poor job parenting then the trait should be chosen for you.  But if you have a YA with only 4 traits of any kind, then that's a bug.  I know Pam and I have both experienced this, I'm sure others have too.  When the bug happens, you choose a trait at the appropriate time, but then for some reason the trait doesn't show up.  Resetting doesn't fix it.  The only thing that does (and sometimes it doesn't work) is to go into testingcheatsenabled true, shift click on the sim in question, go into change traits, and then add the trait you want that's missing.  You can also change any traits, but obviously that would be going against all kinds of rules!  It's up to Metro to decide if he'll allow this use of a cheat to fix the problem, but that's the only way I know of to fix it.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #803 on: September 21, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
Resetting doesn't fix it.  The only thing that does (and sometimes it doesn't work) is to go into testingcheatsenabled true, shift click on the sim in question, go into change traits, and then add the trait you want that's missing.  You can also change any traits, but obviously that would be going against all kinds of rules!  It's up to Metro to decide if he'll allow this use of a cheat to fix the problem, but that's the only way I know of to fix it.

Thanks, Aria. I knew a cheat did fix that, but obviously forgot which one. I'll just have to make a case by case analysis. So, for anyone who feels their traits are messed up, then we need to have a pow wow before a cheat is allowed.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #804 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks, Aria. I knew a cheat did fix that, but obviously forgot which one. I'll just have to make a case by case analysis. So, for anyone who feels their traits are messed up, then we need to have a pow wow before a cheat is allowed.

I had the same or similar problem about 60 pages back in this thread - the trait I chose for my Gen 2 teenager didn't show up for some reason.  You told me how to fix it with the testingcheats enabled, and it worked fine - no problems since, touch wood.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #805 on: September 21, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
I had the same or similar problem about 60 pages back in this thread - the trait I chose for my Gen 2 teenager didn't show up for some reason.  You told me how to fix it with the testingcheats enabled, and it worked fine - no problems since, touch wood.

Yeah, well...that was 60 pages ago. Do you honestly expect me to remember that?  :D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #806 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Yeah, well...that was 60 pages ago. Do you honestly expect me to remember that?  :D

What?!  Are you implying the Man might be less than perfect in any way?   ;D No, seriously, my point was - this thread has gotten so long that I don't think anyone could possibly remember everything that's gone before. 

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #807 on: September 21, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
It's insane. This thread is the #4 thread in forum stats for Replies and it's just a month old.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #808 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
Aria's right about the trait problem.  It's a glitch that sometimes happens and a trait just doesn't show up.  I don't know if there needs to be a pow-wow every time someone has that happen before the player can use the testingcheats to fix it.  For anyone not familiar with the cheat:

1.  Press Ctrl-Shift-C at the same time.
2.  The testingcheats window will open.
3.  Type "testingcheatsenabled true" without the quotes and enter.
4.  Shift-click the active Sim and select "Modify Traits."
5.  You'll see the empty space where the trait should be.  Choose the trait you want and click the up arrow.  Do NOT change any other traits.  Click OK.
6.  Turn off testingcheats by following steps 1 through 3 changing "true" to "false."

You're done!

Regarding sculpting metal sculptures, it requires 3 pieces of scrap to make a metal sculpture, unless you have completed the skill journal challenge that makes all sculptures free.  You can obtain scrap from the junkyard or by rummaging in the trash.

@Joria, I agree with what Metro said about having to reach a point where you just have to keep going or you'll never finish.  There will always be something that can be done better when you look back on it.  You just have to do your best at the time and see how it plays out.  For me, personally, I won't stop unless I encounter a truly Dynasty breaking problem.  Part of the fun of the challenge is trying to juggle all the things and still have enough left for future generations.  However, I do understand your Perfectionist trait and if you're truly not having fun with it and if it's stressing you out, then you should start over. 

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #809 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
I don't know if there needs to be a pow-wow every time someone has that happen before the player can use the testingcheats to fix it. 

I said that because I'd like to know the circumstances in one's Dynasty before allowing the cheat. Would making parenting mistakes cause this, or is this a true glitch where not enough traits pop up? Because if if you drop the ball with parenting, then one (or two) traits are simply chosen for you, right? It's not that they'd be missing entirely. I just want to be clear on that Pam.