The Sims 4 First Person Mode
Camera Controls, Field of View (FOV) and Playing the Game
The Sims 4 now has a First Person Mode! Learn to control this new style of gameplay here!
The Sims 4 patch on November 13, 2018 added first person mode to the game. While in first person, you're able to look around normally but through your Sim's eyes. Do nothing, and the camera will follow your Sim's gaze. Options are included to help you with field of view, interacting with the world, and getting around. Here's a quick guide and video to help you get around the new mode. Click here to learn nearly all Sims 4 controls.
Shift-Tab enters first person mode. Use right-click to get a 'move here' command through obstacles, like doors. Pressing left-control will stop the camera and seems to recenter it based upon where your Sim is looking. Space will cycle through Sims (shift-space may include pets), and you can exit first person by pressing Shift-tab once more. If you hold shift while in first person, you'll be free to use the mouse instead of moving the camera, allowing you to make use of the game interface.
Interacting With The Game World
Cooking in First Person Mode
Playing the game in first person is entirely possible. When you move the mouse, you'll look anywhere (even behind your Sim). If it is clickable from this perspective, you can interact with it. You must get into viewing range or have no walls in front of you, though. Thankfully there is an option to help you get past walls.
Pesky Doors and Walls
Walking through doors and walls in first person is as easy as right-clicking.
Can't get through a door? Right-click instead of left and you'll bring up a go here menu so that you can tell your Sim to get past the obstacle. They'll take the shortest path like they normally would, and from there you should be able to interact.
Field of View (Motion Sickness)
Field of View is commonly used to get a better viewing angle or to reduce motion sickness in first person games. Scrolling the mouse wheel down (or whatever your normal zoom out button is if on Mac) will allow you to increase FOV and may be a bit easier on your eyes and stomach. Due to the amount of head bobbing and eye movement Sims make, this can be pretty disorienting though for short scenes it's entirely tolerable. I suggest everyone try it, as it's going to make for some pretty cool screenshots and will aid storytellers.
When my Sim turned into a bat, she teleported and left me behind in normal camera mode. Woohoo is likely to look very buggy due to its nature. Anything that has textures not meant to be seen from this angle is going to look strange. That said, this was a great idea by the dev team and one Guru worked to make it happen (evidently). I am sure it will get some polish in future patches, now that it's officially a part of the game. For now, we can live with the minor issues that come up.
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
New Patch for November 2019!
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- New Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Realm of Magic
Search the Site
- Discover University
- Realm of Magic Game Pack
- Island Living Expansion
- Island Living Cheats
- Clean up Sulani
- Get Famous
- Careers and Top Jobs
- Skill Guides
- Get to Work
- Get Together
- City Living
- Cats and Dogs
- Style Influencer
- Terrain Tools
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail