The Sims 4 Piano Skill
Earning Tips, Serenades, and Licensing Songs
The Piano Skill allows you to Serenade, Write & Sell Songs, and Play for Tips
The Sims 4's Piano Skill is largely an accompaniment to the Entertainer Career's Musician Track. This Skill is not a big moneymaker, but does have some features unique to instruments in the game. If you're a music lover, you're sure to enjoy this Skill along with Guitar and Violin due to the sheer number of songs that Sims can play. Here is what you will unlock while levelling Piano, with further information on the more interesting interactions.
Ideal Mood: Inspired
Pianists gain Skill Experience and perform better when Inspired. Taking Thoughtful Showers is a common way to do this, but the Skill offers its own methods of helping your Pianist find Inspiration. The second level in this Skill lets you use a Computer to get a +2 Inspired buff for 4 hours, and level 3 allows you to Plunk for Inspiration to get +1. This second one lasts 8 hours! If you can get some Inspirational Auras from Musician Career Reward Items, you will find it very easy to get to Very Inspired and gain Piano levels very quickly.
Piano Skill Level Unlocks
You'll unlock many genres of music as you go, and each of these gives you new songs to play - 4 to 5 each! So, there is a lot of music to be appreciated in this Skill, even if it is not an outstanding money maker.
- Level 1 - Practice Piano
- Level 2 - Rhapsodize about Piano Sonatas Interaction, Appreciate Classical Music on Stereo, and Research the Piano on Computer (Inspired +2 4h buff)
- Level 3 - Can Play Traditional Songs, Plunk for Inspiration (Inspired +1 8h buff)
- Level 4 - Can Play Blues Songs, and Play a Concerto
- Level 5 - Can Play Romantic Songs, and may Listen and Learn to other Pianists who are more Skilled
- Level 6 - Can Play Post-Bop Songs and Serenade other Sims with Piano
- Level 7 - Can Play Latin Songs and Promise to Dedicate Songs to other Sims (Romantic Interaction)
- Level 8 - Pianist may Write, Scrap, and Name Songs. They can also play sings from the Ragtime Genre, and Perform Jazz Up the Place.
- Level 9 - Can Play Classical Songs and may License Songs that have been written on Piano
- Level 10 - Can Play Avant-Garde Songs and Mentor other Sims on Piano
Playing for Tips in the Park requires placing a Piano
Playing for Tips: Concerto
At level 4, your Sim will be able to get Tips for playing Piano, so long as you can draw a crowd. One solution is to buy and place a Piano at the park. Simply visit the lot and press F2 to go to buy mode, and from there you may place the Piano wherever you like. Tips earned are 2xLevel so, at level 10, you'll get $20 Tips from Sims.
Romance and Piano
Piano offers two great Romantic options for Sims pursuing the Skill. Serenading gives the Pianist a +2 Confidence Moodlet for 4h, while the target gets an 8h +2 Flirty Moodlet. This can put the target in the right mood to help your romantic advances succeed. Piano also gives the ability to Promise to Dedicate a Song, which gives the target a +2 Flirty Moodlet for 4h. Combine these, and you've got a great date. Sims who are Flirty can Tickle the Ivories on Piano and play some romantic music.
Serenading a Sim makes the Pianist Confident and the target Flirty
At level 8 Piano, Sims may begin writing their own Songs. Writing a song takes a long time, but will let you License it by using the Mailbox. You may have only one licensed song from each Instrument at a time. Licensing pays off for quite some time, so you can theoretically have one Piano, Violin, and Guitar song licensed and giving you $100-300 a day or more for each. This is great cash, and will supplement a Musician's income while working in the Entertainer Career.
Mentoring other Sims
At level 10, you can Mentor other Sims in Piano. This will help them learn the Skill much faster than usual, and is a part of the Musical Genius Aspiration.
Acting | Archaeology | Baking | Charisma | Comedy | Cooking | Dancing | DJ Mixing | Fishing | Fitness | Flower Arranging | Gardening | Gourmet Cooking | Guitar | Handiness | Herbalism | Logic | Media Production | Mischief | Mixology | Painting | Parenting | Photography | Piano | Programming | Robotics Rocket Science | Singing | Vampire Lore | Veterinarian | Video Gaming | Violin | Wellness | Writing
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
Open up Origin, Click on the Game Library tab then Right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game.
If you have a sim who you know has level 10 in a skill but is not part of your household you can still use this technique. Invite the skilled sim to your sims house, start your sim playing the piano (or whatever) and then ask the non-controlled NPC to mentor your sim.
Mentoring also works between adults and children/teens you just have to experiment as to which skills can be mentored. For some examples: swimming can be mentored, basketball, chess, handiness (repairing plumbing or using the bench), singing, musical instruments, painting and so on. Cooking and gardening can not be mentored.
New Patch for November 2019!
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- New Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Realm of Magic
Search the Site
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail