The Sims 4 Singing Skill
Money Making and Song Genres in City Living
The Singing Skill in The Sims 4 City Living lets you earn money, write songs, and impress romantic partners.
The Sims 4 City Living features a singing skill, which lets Sims gradually improve their vocal range. This skill must have taken some work, as Sims grow to sing much better over time and eventually sing near-perfectly. With higher levels in singing, you can begin to write songs and even license them to earn some extra money. This skill synergizes with both the Piano and Guitar skills. Getting to level 3 in those two instruments, your Sim will be able to sing and play at the same time. It's not an enjoyable listen at first, but they get much, much better with practice.
How to: Singing Cheats
Press Control + Shift + C then type testingcheats on and press enter. You can now set your skill level with stats.set_skill_level major_singing x (fill in 1-10) - we also have a full listing of Skill Cheats and a master list of Cheats in The Sims 4
Getting Started as a Singer
Singing in the Shower is not only a great way to unlock level 1, you can also do it every day when your Sim gets cleaned up without adding much time to the showering process.
Sims can begin to level up the Singing skill by using a karaoke machine. Practice singing is not initially available. Another quick way to get level 1 in order to practice is to use the shower. While taking a shower, you can pause the game and click it again to 'sing in the shower', which when done early enough (while in a good mood) will get that first level in the singing skill. Once the first level is gained, you can practice using a microphone or by simply clicking on your Sim. The ideal mood for singing is Inspired.
Level Up Singing
Explore My Mods! Color Picker for Builders, Seasons Tuner, Dine Out Reloaded and a Gameplay Overhaul! Like other modders, I've been working to make The Sims 4 a better game. Check out my many mods here!
Karaoke is a good choice for leveling the skill and making new friends on a night out. Sims are awful when they first get started. It's funny but hard to listen to for any length of time.
As you level the singing skill, your Sim will noticeably improve, with their voice improvements actually making the listening experience enjoyable. You may even grow to love some of the songs, despite the gibberish that is Simlish. Since you can practice this skill anywhere, you should have no trouble gaining skill levels over time. Use it when there's nothing else to do, as you would by carrying around a guitar with your Sim. It is actually possible to level both guitar and singing at the same time, which is extra effective if you pluck some inspiration first using the guitar.
Skill & Song Genre Unlocks by Level
- Level 1 - Click Microphone/Sim to Practice Singing. Genre unlocks: Solo House, Jazz, and Pop on Karaoke Machine. Country Duet with Karaoke Machine.
- Level 2 - Rock songs on Karaoke Machine, Duet Pop songs. Folk genre unlocks on Microphone (and Guitar/Piano with level 3 in those Skills). Rave about Favorite Singers Interaction unlocks.
- Level 3 - Country (solo) and Duet Jazz songs unlock on Karaoke Machine. Pop songs on Microphone (and Piano/Guitar with level 3 in those instruments). Can now select to sing pop songs by clicking on the Sim. Serenade interaction unlocks.
- Level 4 - Can sing Disco songs and Duet Ballads on the Karaoke Machine
- Level 5 - Can sing Jazz songs on Piano/Guitar/Microphone. Sing Jazz under the Sim-click Sing Song menu.
- Level 6 - Singing voice continues to improve, more likely to get a good moodlet from singing Karaoke.
- Level 7 - Theater Drama songs can be sung on the Microphone, Guitar, Piano, and under the Sing Song menu when clicking the Sim.
- Level 8 - Write Lyrics is possible by clicking on the Microphone, Guitar, and Piano if you have at least level 3 in those instruments. The Sim can sing songs they've written, both on those instruments and through the Sing Song menu.
- Level 9 - Written songs can now be Licensed by clicking the mailbox.
- Level 10 - Better likelihood of a good outcome when using the Karaoke Machine (ie a better Moodlet) and a better voice.
Serenading a Sim for Romance
The Serenade interaction provides powerful romantic boosts. A microphone isn't necessary to do this. Serenade is a very powerful ability as it gives a +2 8 hour flirty moodlet! It is likely a good idea to set a Sim up to accept this first, by using some friendly and romantic interactions. If they accept, you're set the tone for romance and have a much better success rate with riskier romantic interactions. Click here for a guide to romance in The Sims 4.
Making Money by Writing Songs
Sims can level both singing and guitar/piano at the same time, so long as they are level 3 in those instruments.
Writing songs unlocks at level 8 and licensing them is level 9. Singing is another way to earn money from music in The Sims 4, and in combination with the other instruments is viable as a self-employment career. However, it is one that requires substantially more work due to the effort required to master the instruments.
It takes 12 full hours to write a song, though you can resume writing one if necessary. Licensed songs generate income for 7 full days, and can range from $200 to $800 per day. Income is distributed daily at 10AM. You can have one song of each type - microphone, guitar, and piano counting only City Living and the Sims 4 base game. Songs written for lyrics on the guitar count as 'microphone'. You can then write a song that is instrumental for the two other instruments. Writing 3 songs a week, you could earn between $600-2000+ per day in royalties, but you'd need to continually produce more music for it to stay viable as a career choice. Expect to spend 36 hours per week writing music if you go this route.
Acting | Archaeology | Baking | Charisma | Comedy | Cooking | Dancing | DJ Mixing | Fabrication  |; Fishing | Fitness | Flower Arranging | Gardening |
Gourmet Cooking | Guitar | Handiness | Herbalism | Juice Fizzing | Logic | Media Production | Mischief | Mixology | Painting |
Parenting | Photography | Piano | Programming | Robotics | Rock Climbing | Rocket Science | Singing | Skiing | Snowboarding | Vampire Lore | Veterinarian | Video Gaming | Violin | Wellness | Writing
How You Can Support The Site and Channel
If you like my sites and Youtube Channel
, consider supporting me on Patreon
to help me to continue.
Back to The Top
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.